• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Leasing out my barn, in my backyard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a facility this small by the time you cover expenses (insurance, maintenance, etc.) you'll lose money.

And I'm not sure you really want somebody, literally, in your back yard at times of their choosing!

Find something else. Your chances of "winning" here are very small.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Chall View Post
      Pay up front and in advance, maybe 6 months. It's a lease not a month to month boarding situation, yes on the insurance and if there is anyway to separate the parking from your parking do that, rope it off. Is there a bathroom in the barn, running water?
      If you could find a really big barn in the area (who would not consider you competition) go speak to the owner there. If your lucky, they will be sympathetic and give the ins and outs for your area. If you are really lucky, you might suggest your barn as a layup barn for overflows of the big barn or for horses who need a quiet rehab, but keep it clear that it must be run by them.
      I think that would be best, because this is a big project.
      WOW! More good stuff I didn't think about! No bathroom, since I would just go into my house. I've never boarded here and don't want to, but I sure never thought about a bathroom!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
        Write your contract carefully. Be sure to list the maximum number of horses to be kept at ANY time. Address damages versus normal wear and tear. Think about utilities? Is your barn separately metered? If not, how are you going to split electric? Ditto water if it is not from a well. If you don't have bathroom in the barn, then stipulate that the tenant MUST rent and maintain a porta-potty. Address emergency situations -- what are you to do if nobody can be found and it's an emergency? Insist on a hefty security deposit and make sure the tenant keeps current on rent. Insist that the tenant carry liability insurance as well.

Most of all, be picky about who you take. Check references carefully.

I think for the right party, this could be a wonderful situation. It's a real bonus to have a horse person living on the property 24/7 to keep an eye on things. I know the OP doesn't want extra work, but just knowing there is back-up to feed if there is an emergency at home or a big snowstorm makes the rental attractive.
        Sheesh, I must not have thought about much of anything! Yet MORE things I didn't think about! Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post
          PM me your email and I'll send you my Self-Care Contract. It covers all bases, including rules.
          PM sent with many thanks!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
            Not sure where you live, but who will mow the pasture? Maintain the fence? Fix stuff in the barn if it gets damaged? Plow snow if needed? How will you rotate if you have 3 horses on that small of a place? What are your rules about guests on the property? Hours?

I think that if you're patient, you can find the right person. But another consideration going into winter is that it's harder to get hay in a lot of places this time of year. I always had all my hay lined up by the end of July. It can be difficult to find and difficult to transport depending on your area this time of year.
            OK, I had to laugh! Here in the desert, NO grass and NO snow! Hay is important, and I, like you, buy mine in plenty of time and stock up. End of the year into the beginning of the next SUCKS for buying hay!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by clanter View Post
              ...we did sort of what you are going to do.

We set the farm up as an independent corporation which then leased the land and improvements back from us to use as a for profit boarding barn.

We did this specifically as a level of insulation as this was before the Professional Equine Liability Acts were put in place.

----

There also were tax reasons as to why we did this. By the farm being a for profit activity, the improvements were put on a deprecation schedule, the farm had its own income from the boarding of the horses which allowed the farm to pay the workers. Since the farm was a C-Corp it could award scholarships.

I just advise you to consult with a tax attorney versed in farm/ranch tax law. In our case we owned the land, the farm was a privately held C-Corporation and the stock that was boarded was owned by our business which was a S-Corp.
              WHOA! Yet more things I never considered!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by nashfad View Post
                Possibly delivering pizza 3 nights a wk is better?
                OK, you got me to do quite a huge belly laugh!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by betsyk View Post
                  Are you in a horsey area? maybe start with your neighbors - does anybody need an extra stall or two for winter? heck, maybe you could rent the building for hay storage and skip having animals there at all. Store trailers in your paddocks? If your neighbors are already in the habit of taking care of their own horses, maybe someone would jump at the chance to have an extra stall or two available just down the road? and being in the neighborhood and a "known" quantity maybe they'd be more invested in taking care of things?
                  I live in a horsey area where everyone's property is horse property. Many people board or train in their back yards on their 1.25 acres. You had some really, really good ideas! Thanks!

Comment

• Original Poster

I must say, you guys are the greatest! Really opened my eyes to soooooo, soooooo much! Thanks - all of your advice was invaluable!

Comment

I agree with Guilherme that your chances of success in this venture are low. There are so many opportunities for things to go wrong, and when they do they are going to be going wrong two feet from your house. Do not underestimate the ability of other people to do strange, dangerous, irresponsible and downright crazy things.

While you MIGHT make a little money from doing this, you will have a increased insurance costs, increased maintenance costs, potentially a lot of wear and tear on your property, lawyer fees to draw up contracts (do not ignore this step!) and potentially a LOT of stress. These are significant costs. You are also opened up to possibly suffer large losses like dealing with fully/partly abandoned horses, legal bills related to dealing with a problem tenant, serious property damage due to do irresponsible tenants, and potential liability/lawsuits. Being a good landlord is work.

I agree that finding a neighbor who wants to quietly rent a little more space is your best bet.

Comment

You want to rent stalls that are only feet away from your house, but leave it to the boarders to feed and clean?

What if they don't clean?
                        A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

This will likely be hugely unpopular...but having been on the other side of such deals without a lot of vetting and deposits and contracts and the like...it worked out fine. I mean, I know things can go south. I get that. But I was a really good farm lease person. I kept up the land, I took care of my horses, I took care of land lady's dog when she went out of town. Hell, I had the state patrol track her butt down several counties away when she didn't come home when she said she would one summer. She scared me silly! Then laughed at me with the deputies on the phone. Years later after my horses were long gone from her place....I still found reasons to "drop by" and plow her drive, mow, check in on her at the hospital, buy her "emergency" ice cream. (yes, such emergencies exist!) She came to my wedding. She had Christmas dinner at my home last year...which reminds me, I still have her plate. I love her dearly, she's a great lady, and she gave me a chance, no strings attached, to take care of my horses and use her place.

Probably stupid on her part if you look at all the stuff we've posted here. But truthfully...I wasn't out to screw her, she wasn't out to screw me, and we were on the same page (most of the time, LOL!) I think good situations can be there without a lot of hoop jumping, though I'm not advising you to take unecessary risks. But I was a horse person, she was a horse person, and we interviewed each other. It worked out.
                          A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

• Original Poster

I am going to look into the storage idea. I really like it. Thanks again, everyone - you all are terrific!

Comment

Everything everyone says is excellent advice. Not to be a downer, but one thing you have to consider is human nature. No matter how pleasant, close to you, honorable, cooperative, reliable, even-tempered, etc. a boarder is, shit just happens. Say the 3 boarders are your best friends. Two gossip about one, everyone comes to you for sympathy and resolution. One boarder has an emergency out of town, and asks you to feed "just for a day ot two." Somebody loses their job. Who will pick up the slack? If the property is yours, I'm sorry, but the buck stops with you. Yours is the ultimate responsibility and risk. And they are THERE. All the time, in your face. It's hard to say "no, I'm in a foul mood today and don't want to talk to you, even though your battery doesn't start, your husband is cheating on you, your child has an incurable disease, your horse is bleeding, etc." I've done it. It's rarely a happy ending for anyone. So, sorry again for being Debbie Downer."

Comment

This is how I have my own place. I pay board for two stalls, and a pasture. I have to go into the landlords house to use the bathtub when the spigot freezes. So it's REALLY in the back yard. I provide everything, and when the landlord is feeling generous/sick of the pony escaping, she will replace the bad fence boards. (Cheapest lady. EVER.)

This on about an acre, and the pasture takes most of it. If I want more grass, I have to pay for the seed/fertilizers, etc. I pay $150/month for the horse and pony.
                                "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

Originally posted by JumpQH View Post
                                  OK, I had to laugh! Here in the desert, NO grass and NO snow! Hay is important, and I, like you, buy mine in plenty of time and stock up. End of the year into the beginning of the next SUCKS for buying hay!
                                  More logistics. You know, since you've had horses *and* had them on that property, when and what needs done. Realize that someone renting it from you is A. not going to know where/when/how to get things like hay and bedding, B. may be coming at the wrong time of year to get hay purchased and delivered (if they can afford the big lump sum, AND you need a plan for what to do if you kick them out and they have a ton of hay in your barn, they fail to pay the hay guy you recommended, etc), and C. will probably want to make changes (large or small) to layout, traffic patterns, etc. from how you had it set up for yourself. In addition to the buildings, are you also providing equipment for their use? That includes a way to move hay, bedding, and stall cleanings, plus feed and water buckets, forks, rakes, shovels, etc., etc. and the tractor, drag, spreader... Lots of people without property don't own most of those, and you have to expect at least wear-and-tear if not outright damage.

If you do move forward, get photos of buildings, equipment, and fences, in detail, prior to move-in and have a clear, written agreement regarding normal wear and tear (covered by you) versus damages (covered by the renter). It's not uncommon, particularly after a year or two passes, for "who owns what" to get a bit muddled. Especially if Boarder breaks something of yours and is asked to replace it. Also have a plan in place for dealing with 'trash' left behind when a long-term boarder leaves. A rented barn is a convenient place to 'temporarily' store items someone doesn't feel like dragging home.
                                  ---------------------------

Comment

Working...
                                  X