• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

PSA: Some people are not what they seem...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JSwan View Post
    Shame on you! Don't touch it or you'll go blind!
    you owe me a keyboard...
    Originally posted by BigMama1
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Originally posted by Crackerdog View Post
      It's hairy.
      Myself, I prefer to ride a nicely clipped beast.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1sock View Post
        She has "one hind sock" which is my name on another forum, though I shortened it to "1sock" on COTH.
        Well, we haven't met in person, but I know which forum you are talking about and I'm Farah over there.

Comment

• I think one problem with giving Internet advice is that not only don't you know the person giving it, you don't know the person you're giving it to. I'd hazard a guess that many, if not most people on this board are experienced horsemen and horsewomen, and as such, we would take any advice given with a grain of salt. We also give advice that most of the time that includes phrases like "ask your trainer/vet/farrier" and/or "in my experience" and most of the time those are interesting and insightful...and as horsemen and women we can weed through the advice/experiences and identify what to take to our own professional in conversation, or in some cases, try (For example, if I ask for advice on a bit, and someone suggests trying a French link for such-and-such, that's something I'm comfortable trying on my own, without my trainer.). That's a good thing-by having so many people with different experience and ideas, you might hit on something that just your trainer/vet/farrier might not have, or hit on it sooner.

On the other hand, though, not everyone has the experience to be that rational, and when they ask for advice, they don't think about it. Imagine a young, first-time horse owner who comes on with something like "OMG I just got to the barn and my horse has a cut on his leg and it's bleeding everywhere! The vet can't get here for an hour, what should I do?!"

If someone tells that terrified, inexperienced person, don't worry, "I'm a vet, and you should pack the wound with cotton balls and Furazone until the vet gets there!", and that person's profile says they're a vet, the owner might not think, "I don't know if this person is REALLY a vet, maybe I should think about it...they're probably going to take the "vet's" advice.

Just because experience and learning tells me that packing a deep wound with anything without being told to do so by my own vet is a bad idea doesn't mean that everyone knows that. Might I give advice to scared HO? Sure, but it's going to start with "I'm not a vet, but I would find something clean to stop the bleeding and wait for the vet. If you can't stop the bleeding, call the vet back and tell them it's an emergency." Most people know to give advice that's not going to cause further harm, but if someone gives bad advice with made-up credentials to an inexperienced person, then what?

I'd argue that posing as a professional when you aren't isn't the same as giving advice from one experienced horseperson to another, and it does have the potential to cause harm.

On another note, if a man was so happy to see me that he grew a HORSE, I'm not sure if I'd run away screaming or marry him on the spot...

Comment

• Originally posted by nasalberry View Post
            Can no one tell me about Colin's Spectacular Beast?
            HAHA! It's an andalusian. You can see the brand in a few pics. ;-)
            The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Comment

• Originally posted by propspony View Post
              I'm not sure what we're talking about here, I haven't read back to find out, but I'm not sure I want to know - lol!
              *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

• Originally posted by Belair View Post
                Kooki, I have a plate of chocolate chip cookies sitting in my car if you want to come grab one. I doubt anyone at the kindergarten christmas program this evening would notice. They did just come out of the oven an hour ago.
                Do you have sunshine, too? Cause if you do, I'm so there.
                Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by kookicat View Post
                  haha it's supposed to be back this afternoon after disappearing for the past week!

Comment

• Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                    Shame on you! Don't touch it or you'll go blind!
                    My blog: Crackerdog Farm

Comment

• Originally posted by kookicat View Post
                      *raising hand*
                      Last edited by AllWeatherGal; Dec. 7, 2012, 12:20 PM. Reason: stupid user
                      *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

• Originally posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
                        I'd argue that posing as a professional when you aren't isn't the same as giving advice from one experienced horseperson to another, and it does have the potential to cause harm.
                        I dunno if this was in response to me but if it was I totally agree - don't lie about your credentials or give advice you aren't absolutely sure of. That I don't understand the appeal of at all, if you love animals why risk hurting one if you give bad advice? Is stroking your ego worth an animals suffering or death?

I was just responding to someone that asked if anyone really takes internet BBs seriously and I was giving scenarios where they can be useful. I do think the internet can be useful and helpful, if you are smart about using it and don't replace it with proper vet care when it's warranted. I also pointed out the importance of questioning ALL advice given; again, such as when a vet prescribes a guinea pig Clavamox. Penicillin drugs are toxic to guinea pigs, but vets still do it.
                        *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

• I have to "chuckle" because something similar to Grataan's story is happening at my barn. Granted none of the boarders believe that person, but she is still saying she is a vet... This boarder and her niece came a few months ago. The aunt has some kind of WB (he sure has an Arab head and tail though) with Sweeney shoulder syndrome. He can't be ridden of course. The niece has a 6 yo TB who, almost a month ago, went 3 legged lame. Aunt diagnosed an abscess... but after a few weeks, the BO hinted that maybe it was time to call a vet (ie a real one!). It turns out that the horse now has a bone infection which will require surgery! Auntie is furious, keeps claiming she knows better, that xrays were unnecessary (too much money)... but "what does she know, she is just a vet, right?" When she made that claim in front of me, I questioned her, asked her what, when and where. She claimed to have graduated in another country (Ireland), but it was too costly to get her equivalency (Or whatever you need to do). I pointed out to her that the real vet comes from Austria and did just that... Yesterday, I directly asked her SIL (owner's mom) about the auntie's credentials... She said she was a vet TECH, who only practiced as such for 3 years many moons ago!!! Ha... no wonder she had such a hard time giving an IV to the horse (and ended up covered in blood!!).. Sheesh... In our case, only the niece "benefits" from the aunt's "knowledge" (and has since turned to the vet and trusts him) and none of the boarders would EVER listen to her. Oh, and I got very tired of auntie calling the REAL vet an idiot and saying she won't talk to him... no wonder... he would out her in two minutes flat...
                          Still, in my book, her "advice" has probably caused the horse to get a lot worse than he should have, will cost the niece a lot more .... Auntie is now saying the horse should be put down, surgery costs too much... I am relieved that the horse will now get the real care he deserves.

So... I despise people who lie about their qualifications. Who knows, someone at Grataan's barn may have asked and listened to her advice and may have delayed calling a real vet too.
                          Last edited by FalseImpression; Dec. 7, 2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by propspony View Post
                            I thought so!
                            All I can say is ... WOOF!!!

Um. ... Nice horse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eventer55 View Post
                              Hey Cloudie and Callie

Your in box is full, but it seems she's on the mend and wrote me a very nice note. Let me know if things change and I'll do a run with flowers even though she says she's in need of nothing.
                              alittlegray might get out of hospital today, but her morphine has been lost! So she's in pain.
                              However, there's a rumor that Always Funny has sent her pink roses!

I'm not on Lex's exclusive PM list, so I cannot send him to the hospital in Fredericksburg to visit alittlegray.

Comment

• Another good example of an inexperienced horse person asking for advice and us throwing it out there, (by the bucketfuls in this case) - though none was taken by the fruitbat - was that crazy one who had her horses in witness protection... can't remember her name....

She eventually got sick of not getting the praise and butterflies she thought she deserved and flitted off somewhere else.

Tiffany is another good example. We are all constantly giving her advice and a lot was given when Beautiful was apparently lame. Most of it was good though, telling her to hand walk, call the vet, etc.

This stuff happens on this board every day and we hope to god that they would just call their vet, but we ALL know that doesn't always happen.
                                Friend of bar.ka!
                                Originally posted by MHM
                                GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
                                "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabino View Post
                                  Well, we haven't met in person, but I know which forum you are talking about and I'm Farah over there.
                                  Hi Farah!
                                  The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Comment

• I think what false impression posted, supra, is an example of what can happen if someone says she is a vet. People hear that or read that, and if they aren't experienced, or don't have the money for a vet, they might let a horse languish until it is too late to correct an injury or illness by using a vet.

OtOH, I've learned some good things on coth. The vets who worked on eventgroupie2's Willie had the soft ride boots, and I bought some and recommend them to everyone. But eventgroupie2 did not tell me she was a vet.

She does, however, make wonderful sun catchers and I recommend that everyone have one made of your horse(s).

Comment

• Yep, I have gotten some GREAT advice on this board, stuff I wouldn't have thought of or otherwise known about. That part is awesome. But taking medical advice, as in, you should do this or that, I'd have to check with the vet first.

Like the soft rides, I found out about them on here. I almost sold them when my mare got over her laminitis, but I've used them a few times since then for other problems and glad I held on to them!

Comment

• Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
                                        She does, however, make wonderful sun catchers and I recommend that everyone have one made of your horse(s).
                                        *blinkblink* link or pics please! I NEED one of these. My mare already thinks that the sun shines out of her behind... might as well prove her right.
                                        The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Comment

• It's not like Grataan is the first, last, or even current only person posting advice under credentials they may or may not have.

The only really useful thing I see coming out of this is that maybe people will start insisting that people who say "I am an X" and are using that to claim authority on a thread actually verify -- on the board or via PM -- that they really are X.

Forget "trust but verify." Verify first, then decide if you trust.
                                          Halt Near X | Horse Bloggers - Blog Directory

Comment

Working...
                                          X