• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

PSA: Some people are not what they seem...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
    "Me" is the speaker (human), the one doing the staring is the mouse.
    Reworked into normal syntax the poem would state:

A poisoned mouse does quietly stare at Me out of the floor, who, still alive, is asking, "What have i done that You wouldn't have."
    When was the poem written (vs published)?

I've always assumed it was political (re use of poisonous gases in WWI) & the mouse is, well not a mouse ...

Comment

• 2dogs come back! Slinking makes me sad Let's share some popcorn and a nice merlot! Then we can figure out what to do with all our power
      Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Comment

• I was banned from udbb and came here under an alter. Apparently I have no sense of humor so ezduzit...relax.
        Ride like you mean it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dressagetraks View Post
          Ah, e e cummings. That would explain why I have had trouble making sense of that user name.

Disclaimer: My name isn't dressagetraks. Though I do ride dressage and do have Trakehners.

I am an English major and really have extensively studied literature, poetry included. However, e e cummings never really lit my fire. I'm a Shakespeare kinda gal.
          Tsk, I love e e cummings. Also, when I met meupatdoes in person for the first time, I am pretty sure the first thing that I blurted out to her was "OMG, I know that poem!" in exactly the same tone that Buddy the Elf used to declare his intimate familiarity with Santa Claus.
          "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

• Is Grataan an Oregon resident, like the OP? Is the OP? I guess locations are relative in COTH Land, too... I ask because they would both be "local" to me (and many other posters here) and I wonder if I've met either of them IRL...

I agree, this is sad, if true. I enjoyed Grataan's posts for the most part.
            Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

• Originally posted by alto View Post

I've always assumed it was political (re use of poisonous gases in WWI) & the mouse is, well not a mouse ...
              For sure the mouse is not just a mouse...

Liz

Comment

• I have met very few COTHers IRL. The first and most memorable was the original Fugly blogger when she moved to my farm (several years ago now). My first thought was "OMG I'm screwed!"

I met a few others as a result of the huge flood in January 2009 that forced my barnmates and me to evacuate. That whole process unearthed some VERY kindly and delightful folk.
                Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
                Starman

Comment

• Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post

I do love ketchup though.
                  Bahahaaaaa!
                  ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Comment

• Originally posted by prairiewind2 View Post
                    Mice in the barn a couple of years ago. I killed one - turned out to be a momma. Then the babes started coming out looking for food and (mostly) water. Didn't have the heart to kill them, so I fed and watered them. *sigh*

Liz
                    Hey don't feel bad Liz! Same thing happened to me a couple years back.

I pulled open a drawer that was in my garage, and since the drawer was wooden and a little warped I always had to give it a good yank, so to hear a 'squeak' when opening wasn't unusual. But that last squeak made me stop. I kneeled down to look in the drawer and here is a mouse wedged in-between the back of the drawer and the top of it. So I pulled the poor little thing out, and then just got this gut feeling that I should look in the drawer. Yup a nest of little pinkies.. They still had their eyes sealed. So I handed them to a sad looking vet tech, who just sighed and thanked me.

I asked if I could hand feed them, but se said there are no nipples that small.

Comment

• Originally posted by millerra View Post
                      how DO you spell it? Oh... Xena???

Oh wait, am I supposed to get all grumpy about folks correcting my spelling? Well, then I'll never tell you how I read Viola! for the longest time...
                      No no no ---I'm sorry. I was playing and it didn't come across that way to you. I meant no harm or offense, just playing.

I think I read Viola the same way...comes from having a grandmother named that.. I thought viola! was WAAA_LAHHH for the longest...shoot me now.
                      http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                        So, color me curious. Grataan is still giving advice...is someone going to step up and out her...if it's true? I've had enough drama in the last couple of weeks...it won't be me.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...99#post6701999
                        Vet or not, it seemed like sound advice to get to the vet and have those tests done. A layperson could have given that advice.
                        http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by alto View Post

The poem is just a statement that we are all part of the human condition and the lines between us are not so great after all. Fundamentally what have other people done that you wouldn't have if you were in the same situation as them. Homeslice is killing the mouse but if homeslice were in the mouse's shoes wouldn't he be scuttling around the foyer looking for crumbs too?

The line between good and evil is drawn much more tenuously than most people tend to actively recognize, imo, but then again my ethical thinking was also deeply influenced by the Milgram and Stanford Prison experiments.

And, not to be pedantic or anything but I do not think that "who the narrator" is is a negotiable point. The narrator ("Me") is the human. Yes poetry is open to interpretation but when it gets to the fundamental syntax of the piece, it just is the way it is If even the narrator is negotiable nothing has meaning.

Note as well that the narrator references (Me, You) are always capitalized and the mouse references (mouse, who, i) are always lower case. The one thing arguably in the mouse's doman that is capitalized is "Stare," which is the action that crossed the boundary and made the narrator consider the mouse's pov.
                          Last edited by meupatdoes; Dec. 5, 2012, 04:37 PM.
                          The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                          Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                          Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                          The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

• I don't get why everyone has gone off the rails about usernames (except for holiday giddiness starting early). Nobody thinks that usernames are real names, that's not the issue at all. Grataan;s user name is not GrataanDVM. The issue is IF a poster claims to be an equine veterinarian and posts accordingly, that's utterly not okay. It's not the same thing at all as usernames like (making them up) LiveFromTN when you've never been in TN for instance.

Grataan's user profile clearly states under Occupation "Dairy Veterinarian," and I think telling people you're a doctor when you're not is much more serious than telling people you go to 200 horse shows a year and win at all of them.

It's a shame if COH has indeed become like other boards and is now just full of liars. Old lady rant here: it didn't used to be this way. The liars were few & far between and the majority of posters were helpful, kind, and informative, which is what made this board miles above any other.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                              I hope Lex won't mind me posting this...but someone asked and I think it's a fairly benign story....

So here's how I met Lex. I had spoken and PM'd with Lex for a few years when I lived in MI. So I know his voice.

I went to a dog park (in VA) a few weeks ago that he had recommended. I was a little flustered at one point because my lab wasn't being very polite--read, humping every dog he thought he could--embarassing. I was rounding them up to head home and this nice young man started chatting w/ me and was walking me out.

There was something "familiar" about him but I couldn't put my finger on it.

As we were walking and chatting, I was just SURE it was Lex, but I didn't want to sound like a total creeper by asking "Hey, are you Lex from COTH? I'm Roo."

But once I got to my car, I texted him. "Did I just meet you in the dog park????"

Anyway, it WAS him and he was just trying to help out as he saw I was frazzled and was pretty sure it was me. I mean, who else shows up in riding clothes, tall boots, and has a black lab and a black standard poodle and just arrived in this region of VA? LOL

So. I met Lex.
                              Random question for you - does your license plate have B-Roo on it? If so I saw you today!

Comment

• I knew I had read something recently that gave me the impression Grataan was a vet. Page 2 of the thread below. I guess 'she' could be using the metaphorical 'me' but I read it as she is a DVM and if you asked her opinion....
                                http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...se#post6577632
                                Wow, that takes some nerve! I personally do not care for treeless saddles, but unless you asked me my opinion as a DVM or experienced horseman about your saddle and how it fits and how I feel about them in general I would keep my fat yap shut and just enjoy having a competent riding buddy!
                                Couple of other threads I found while looking for this one. A Mr. was referenced and supposedly is a Dr. himself.
                                http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...09#post6677909

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-liability-end

Comment

• Nope, it doesn't. LOL.

I don't even own a car anymore!
                                  A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

• Originally posted by Anne FS View Post
                                    I don't get why everyone has gone off the rails about usernames (except for holiday giddiness starting early). Nobody thinks that usernames are real names, that's not the issue at all. Grataan;s user name is not GrataanDVM. The issue is IF a poster claims to be an equine veterinarian and posts accordingly, that's utterly not okay. It's not the same thing at all as usernames like (making them up) LiveFromTN when you've never been in TN for instance.

Grataan's user profile clearly states under Occupation "Dairy Veterinarian, and I think telling people you're a doctor when you're not is much more serious than telling people you go to 200 horse shows a year and win at all of them.
                                    We are all just being ironic. We do understand the difference.

Comment

• This thread does bring up some good points about ethics. What do you do when someone is lying? Do you call her out on it? Ignore it? What if it is something that could cause harm?

Way back, I used to sell veterinary pharmaceuticals. The company I worked for had a rabies vaccine that was IM only. Two competitors had a rabies vaccine with a sub q(subcutaneous) indication. We were told one of those competitors had only a provisional subq indication, which meant that after 3 years, if the titers weren't sufficient, all the veterinarians who vaccinated animals with that particular brand would have to revaccinate all those animals. I doubt that company went to any lengths to really let vets know of the provisional indication. Since I didn't have any "proof" about the provisional indication, I didn't tell any of my customers. I felt that it would just look like a sales rep knocking the competition. I did want to warn those customers, but I didn't want to give out any unsubstantiated claims. Lo and behold, that companies vaccine did not have good enough titers after 3 years to get the sub q indication, so all the vets that used that vaccine had to go back and revaccinate all those animals. Needless to say, it was a mess. To add insult to injury, my company and the offending company were then merged!

It's a hard call. I've known people that I've wanted to warn others about. The problem is that people will always question your motives. I"ve run into this with problem boarders in the past. Even if you do ask for references, people often don't want to upset the applecart by being truthful. People are worried about being sued, or they are so glad not to deal with that person anymore that they want to put it behind them.

By "minding your own business" are you adding to someone elses problem?
                                      http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

• I've met several people on here IRL via a COTH get-together several years ago, and all of them are exactly who they appear to be online - awesome, nice, and really fun people.

A couple of other people I know on here from boarding at my most recent barn - they are both really nice and good people. There are a couple of people on here, or who used to be on here, who I boarded with at a barn several years ago. Even though they were always kind of in their own "clique," I tried to reach out to one of them a few years back to offer help with something she had posted about on here, but she wasn't overly receptive, which is fine. One other person, I met at a friend's party several years ago, and when I joined COTH, I realized who she was by photos posted in her signature.

One person I know on here happens to be one of the most vile and repulsive people I've ever met, but I'm not getting into that right now.

Oh, per my username, yes, I do tend to mostly practice and show dressage, but I've done some hunter stuff, too, and am planning on getting into eventing next year. For the most part, I just like to have fun, better my own riding, make my horses the best they can be, and do whatever they happen to be good at.
                                        "I was not expecting the park rangers to lead the resistance, none of the dystopian novels I read prepared me for this but cool."

Comment

• I think if you were going to post this you should have come out under your usual posting name. This whole place is filled armchair vets, riders, trainers, horse owners psychologists, whatever.

Any advice given or taken on here should be at the discretion of the reader and be taken very, very lightly. I read here for entertainment usually.

Comment

Working...
                                          X