• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

PSA: Some people are not what they seem...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Bluey, I thought of including you but since I haven't actually SEEN you....

You COULD just be a fake Bluey/Merry and have been faking the accent to boot! Who KNOWS?!?!?!

Can anyone else confirm your physical existence? LOL

Kidding of course. Yes, I'll vouch for you. But now, who will vouch for me? I guess I do have a lot of board buddies in my wedding pics.
    Is it not enough that I am from another planet and really green, not blue?
    Had a green alien card and all for many years.
    What kind of physical existence parameters are necessary?

I guess with all those robot expeditions to other planets I need to go hide a bit better.

You did look wonderful in your pictures, just as nice as you sounded on the phone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Discobold View Post
      I know some of you are having fun with this, but doesn't anyone else think it's terribly sad that someone would have such a low sense of self-worth that they would invent a career and even a husband ?
      Disco-

I had a post that I typed out earlier, then deleted along the lines of what you're saying.

There's another board member here who I "knew" once upon a time here and elsewhere online and we chatted regularly. Bright gal. Very insightful. She "came out" to me a few years ago and told me that she wasn't who she said she was. Different age, different occupation, different...well, everything. But that wasn't her at her heart. She just started down a path online and it snowballed. I told her then, like I would say again now if she wanted to be friends again that I liked who she was--the other stuff was just details. And that I would be happy to start over again with her.

I still believe that she is a really good egg and at the core is who she "was" when she was posting or emailing or whatever.

I would feel horribly if Graatan is being singled out unfairly and inaccurately.

I feel equally bad to be honest that she's being singled out at all because if it IS true that she's not who she says she is and she's this involved in the board and has the knowledge and is a helpful poster, well then we have a lot to lose as does she.
      A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

• I AM the Loch Ness Monster. I'll sell any of y'all a vial of my blood for $15 a pop. As a disclaimer, if you get it analyzed, it may LOOK like red food coloring, but that's because it's speshul monster blood.

Comment

• Aw heck I am just one of the long time invisibles around here, so it really doesn't matter who I am

Carry on!
          \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Comment

• I just got to the end of this thing... cheese and rice.

FWIW, I'm Superminion because I'm pretty much awesome and my BO doesn't know what she's going to do without me when I have to move.

Comment

I know some of you are having fun with this, but doesn't anyone else think it's terribly sad that someone would have such a low sense of self-worth that they would invent a career and even a husband ?
              Yes, which is why I posted a few pages ago that I thought it was sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                Bluey, I thought of including you but since I haven't actually SEEN you....

You COULD just be a fake Bluey/Merry and have been faking the accent to boot! Who KNOWS?!?!?!
                *blink blink* Bluey is/was Merry??? Really???? No way! :-) I always kinda wondered where the heck Merry went...
                The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Comment

• Originally posted by propspony View Post
                  *blink blink* Bluey is/was Merry??? Really???? No way! :-) I always kinda wondered where the heck Merry went...
                  Not on this board. Bluey is Bluey here, Merry on another board. I "know" her from both.

Comment

• Originally posted by oliverreed View Post
                    Me up at does
                    out of the floor
                    quietly Stare
                    a poisoned mouse
                    still who alive
                    is asking What
                    have i done that
                    you wouldn't have

e.e.cummings
                    Love the poem, Thank you!!! I still can't figure out what Me up at does means though...

Comment

• I may have misled you all somewhat by presenting myself as an untalented middle-aged ammie on a saintly Holstein/pinto yak/draft X. I might be even less talented and more middle-aged IRL than I seem on COTH. (The horse is pretty much as advertised).

I don't know if Grataan is faking or not. If she really is faking, I'm not saying she is a horrible person who is trying to kill all our horses -- she probably genuinely is trying to be helpful, and probably has helped people out. But I have to disagree with people who say that the quality of her advice is what really matters, or that "you shouldn't be taking advice from an online forum, anyway" somehow excuses her alleged behaviour.

If I tell people on COTH I'm an astronaut when I am not, that makes me a harmless whackjob UNTIL someone PMs me and tells me "My daughter has always wanted to be an astronaut; can you give her some advice?". If I start sending advice on what courses to take, etc., that is unethical. If someone chooses to follow that advice without checking my credentials, that is naive or foolish, but not unethical. Even if my advice turns out to be helpful, it doesn't change the fact that I should not have offered it pretending to have authority when I did not. In the case of vet advice, you might argue that it is unethical for an owner to choose internet advice rather than paying for a real vet, but even in that case two wrongs don't make a right.

There is a huge gulf between me posting on the Horse Care forum saying "hey, my horse had an abscess and this was how I treated it" and me posting "I'm a vet and this is how I treat abscesses". The first one is not unethical; the second one is. If the advice is flaky and someone follows it, causing more problems for their horse -- well, the person is foolish for following unverified advice either way. But they were not misled in the first case; in the second they were.

For any advice we take, it's ALWAYS buyer beware -- for that matter, I've never asked my vet IRL to see her diploma!! -- but that doesn't lead to saying "who cares if Grataan's really a vet?".
                      I don't mind if you call me a snowflake, 'cause baby, I know a blizzard is coming.

Comment

Merry on another forum, not COTH.
                        I had signed as Merry on COTH years ago, but didn't post hardly.
                        Then they went thru some changes and next time I tried to log in, I could not, someone was now already using that name.
                        Was told to just get another name, so I did, after two dozen tries, when I saw some blue birds flying around the yard and Bluey stuck.
                        Then found out there was already a Bluesy, to make it all more confusing.

I explain that because the one Merry that has been posting on COTH is a very nice person and someone else altogether.

Comment

• "Me up at does' means the mouse is looking up at the author. Typical cummings twisted verbiage (and I mean twisted in the nicest possible way).
                          What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

• Well I am a Victoria's Secret model and theoretical physicist who could have competed on the US Olympic equestrian team with my 18hh Gypsy Vanner except I didn't have the time given my modeling and research projects. And that's the truth, pfffttttt.
                            I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Comment

• ah gotcha! :-) Well you both *sound* like fun, (as does Buddy Roo too!) but I suppose that could be misleading, and you could all be very boring in real life. LOL!

Comment

• Originally posted by OneGrayPony View Post
                                Scenario 1: thru Scenario 5:

Either way, there's wine and popcorn involved.
                                I thought there was a strict code of ethics/political correctness/yadda.yadda.yadda, "No popcorn before noon."

Wine, of course, is for all seasons and sessions. This means all day, everyday, but never with coffee in the morning.

I prefer red. But I will do white or rose. I am not picky, depending on the situation.

rmh - drinking tea, ran out of wine about 5-6 pages ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kate66 View Post
                                  I think it was right of the OP to call out a fake, if that is indeed the case.

Can anyone think of any reason why the OP would bother to start a thread to call someone out falsely? I can't think what they would achieve by that. For one, I am comfortable believing that the OP genuinely was concerned for people believing information that she/he knows to be coming from someone falsely claiming credentials.
                                  There are a million and one reasons to accuse somebody of something he/she has not done.
                                  being spiteful, trying to ruin a person, or just plain being unhinged.

Either way, if you think you have a case outing somebody, it carries more when you don't hide yourself.

Now pass the wine, you can keep the popcorn, I have cheese to go with it.

Comment

No, not necessarily. She could just be having fun, or doing it as a writing exercise. You know, to see if she could create believable human and equine characters. Which, obviously, she can.

Although I know a girl from another board entirely who made herself out to be a BNT when actually she's a fairly inept ammy. Since it's a small community, most people know this and politely ignore the fiction. But I think that person does it for sad, wish-fulfillment reasons.

Just sayin' that's not the only possibility, though.
                                    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

• Originally posted by fargaloo View Post
                                      There is a huge gulf between me posting on the Horse Care forum saying "hey, my horse had an abscess and this was how I treated it" and me posting "I'm a vet and this is how I treat abscesses". .
                                      Can anyone actually find a post where Grataan claims to be a vet? I know she has never disabused the notion when people say she is a vet but did she actually say she is?

Comment

Love the poem, Thank you!!! I still can't figure out what Me up at does means though...
                                        This is how I read it/interpret it - colored type is my addition for clarity:

Me (the mouse) up at (the person standing over me)
                                        does out of the floor quietly Stare,
                                        a poisoned mouse still, who alive,
                                        is asking, "What have i done that
                                        you wouldn't have?"

e.e.cummings

Liz, who has always loved cummings' visual poetry. And I actually am a lot of hot air on the prairie.

Comment

• I hope Lex won't mind me posting this...but someone asked and I think it's a fairly benign story....

So here's how I met Lex. I had spoken and PM'd with Lex for a few years when I lived in MI. So I know his voice.

I went to a dog park (in VA) a few weeks ago that he had recommended. I was a little flustered at one point because my lab wasn't being very polite--read, humping every dog he thought he could--embarassing. I was rounding them up to head home and this nice young man started chatting w/ me and was walking me out.

There was something "familiar" about him but I couldn't put my finger on it.

As we were walking and chatting, I was just SURE it was Lex, but I didn't want to sound like a total creeper by asking "Hey, are you Lex from COTH? I'm Roo."

But once I got to my car, I texted him. "Did I just meet you in the dog park????"

Anyway, it WAS him and he was just trying to help out as he saw I was frazzled and was pretty sure it was me. I mean, who else shows up in riding clothes, tall boots, and has a black lab and a black standard poodle and just arrived in this region of VA? LOL

So. I met Lex.

Comment

Working...
                                          X