• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Im at a loss of what to do.... I need some help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    I would look for a second opinion from another vet and farrier.
    Thank you!

At least find out what is really going on, before doing something drastic. Its not really the horses fault you have to buy diapers and do wedding planning.

Comment

I also agree you need a second opinion.

Any way you could find somewhere where you could work off some boarding? I know it is hard with children but maybe if your fiancee could keep him for a few hours on the weekend that could help. Also... I have heard excellent things about the Target brand for formula and diapers. Every penny counts, some people also exchange coupons for formulas they do not use. PM me if you use enfamil? I seem to always get those.

Back to the horse side of it... I would see if you could pay for his corrective shoeing still if he goes to a therapeudic home. That may seal the deal for them, not sure.

You sound like a responsible owner who loves her horse. It is refreshing to see someone thinking ahead and not waiting until they don't have two pennies to rub together and it is an emergency. Good luck!

Comment

Second opinion for sure!

Ways to make extra cash:

-pasture board
        -self care situation
        -work of board
        -sell stuff on ebay
        -get a PT job - retrail, coffee, bartender, waitress
        -work from home-- writer, web designer, photographer, etsy store, etc

Comment

if he is not sound, euth. is not a bad end. what would kill you, is to find out he was being mistreated somewhere else. Since finances are the problem. i would probably go this route. i am so sorry.

Comment

Maybe I am misunderstanding but it sounds like he could go back to being a leased out W/T horse or go with a therapy program if he is sound, right?

If the biggest point of his expensive shoes are to keep his feet protected and cushioned while the heel grows out, could you look at going barefoot with a padded boot?

It is a big expense up front to buy the boots but then you are just paying for trims. If he returns to his previous soundness within a few cycles then he can go back to being leased out or possibly donated to a program. If after several cycles he isn't sound or is no longer comfortable, then you could start looking at other options.

So long post short. If you pull his shoes and can make him comfortable with padded boots, will that help you cover your ends financially to give him a few months to see if he regains his previous soundness?

Comment

• Original Poster

Key word is COULD. The vet was very unsure about the whole thing. He said for sure should never jump or do heavy riding but COULD possibly do minimal w/t and depending on how he felt occasional canter. I dont think I would jump to euth without a second opinion. It is the last thing I want to do but I really need I guess another's insight that isnt blinded by love. The current lease situation was we covered vet and farrier in exchange for using him once or twice a week for w/t lessons for beginners.

Hard part for getting a second opinion is I would need to find a place closer. The vet and farrier I would go to (the two who have worked with him for years and really know him) they wont drive out that far. I think I might try talking to the owner of the barn I really love nearby. Only reason we left was board went up..... but maybe I'll see if I can get a deal where he can go on pasture or in a paddock til we can get vet and farrier out to look at him....

Side note, cant just keep him around till wedding. That is still years off (and now may not even happen anymore....stupid boys.) If I do get this job that I interviewed for then that would mean more money and hopefully be able to budget things. But as of now money is tight as it is.... Thankfully my parents love me and their grandson so I am getting some help there but I cant rely on them forever nor do I want to. I just want plans in place..... All I know is I wont have the money to pay the full months board were he is at now. Have a few more days to find something before I have to pay for the full month instead of a daily rate (BO is amazing and really wants to help out but she just cant afford all of her own horses, either. She did say she would haul for us so that is one less thing to worry about!)

eta: padded boots? Would you happen to have a link or a name of a brand to look at?
              Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Comment

First off, I'm sorry about your situation!

I was going to suggest yanking his shoes and possibly putting some boots on him as well. I'm thinking something like this might help him.

I also second finding a place where you can work off board, or at least part of it. I know it's hard with a baby (I have a 9 month old!) but perhaps your parents will baby sit when they can, or you can trade babysitting with another mom?

Something else to think about, depending on where you are, have you thought about opening a small daycare? Around here it's roughly $150/week/kid for full time. Even if you just take on one extra kid, that might help cover your horses expenses as it would bring you roughly $600/month. I don't know how feasible that is.

If you'd like to PM me what area of Texas your in, I can ask around. I have a few military friends in the state who might be of some resource as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MandyVA View Post
                  Can you afford to keep him alive just long enough to be in your wedding? I know weddings are expensive so I'm sure his shoes are taking a bite out of your disposable income right now. It's awful that you might have to provide retirement board for a horse you won't be able to ever jump again. You poor thing.
                  Well THAT was unneccessary...

Tehzebra, so sorry you're in this situation, sounds tough I also like the idea of a second opinion...I know your first choice of vet and farrier wont travel that far, but could you maybe explain the sitch and foot some extra gas money to get them to come out just as a one time thing? Just to see where your boy stands, if they think there is a (possibility of) a good prognosis?

I also thought of a companion home, but paying his expenses might not be an option if you're already having to sell due to $$$. The odds are slim, but you could always look for a good giveaway home that would keep him as a companion. True, you do lose ownership, therefore control, BUT if you found the perfect situation, maybe someone you know?, there might be a nice, financially stable place looking for a pasture buddy for their horse. I kept my old pony at a friend's barn as a buddy for her mare, I *technically* owned him but he was basically hers, she had full rein to do whatever she liked with him. Great person, very kind and knowledgable horseperson, so I never worried about his wellbeing or being sold to a trader later on down the road. Maybe put the word out on facebook or the giveaway board?

Good luck

Comment

Have you thought about taking him to a vet and bringing a farrier (doesn't have to be an expensive one, just one willing to listen to the vet) and having them look at xrays together and come up with a plan which hopefully includes transitioning to barefoot as his feet improve? In my experience although there are some horses who can't be barefoot it isn't nearly the big deal most people make it out to be, and you definitely don't need a barefoot guru to do it. You just need a decent vet and a decent farrier (again, one who will listen not necessarily one who is an "expert" at barefoot trims).

Comment

Originally posted by Nezzy View Post
                      if he is not sound, euth. is not a bad end. what would kill you, is to find out he was being mistreated somewhere else. Since finances are the problem. i would probably go this route. i am so sorry.
                      This. Hugs to you

Comment

Originally posted by Tehzebra View Post
                        eta: padded boots? Would you happen to have a link or a name of a brand to look at?

People really seem to adore soft ride boots (http://www.softrideboots.com/Default.asp ). They helped a horse here get through badly bruised soles, where it was so bad euthanizing the horse was on the table. I highly recommend them, and their customer service.
                        https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                        Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                        www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

I have the Soft Ride boots for my pony. They make a HUGE difference. Awesome customer service, lightning fast shipping.

Comment

Softrides are great and really help a lot of horses. That said, I totally understand the whole "I can't financially commit to a permanent pasture ornament". I just went through a similar situation with my gelding. After a year of vet bills, lameness, and no diagnosis, I made the decision to euthanize. I did try rehoming him, but was unsuccessful. He was not an easy horse to deal with, so that didn't help. I'm not saying you are at this point with your guy, and I agree that a 2nd opinion is a good idea, but at the end of the day sometimes the best thing for the horse is to be taken care of. That may mean living a shorter life, but as long as it's a good life, you've done your horse no disservice. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you guys all soooo much. What I have been looking at thus far is some nearby self care pasture boarding. A good friend of mine is moving back and will be bringing her horse with her so is also in a similar situation (only she has school instead of a kiddo) so we are looking on trying to find a place together for our boys and split days for feeding and such. With somedigging we have found some places that I could afford at around $150 a month!!!! But I would have to figure out food costs on top of that.... depending on how lush the pastures are (have one that is 5 acres and only has one other horse on it all the way up to a new empty 40 acre pasture which i was told had lots of grazing but has no building structures on it but can work with land owner on refencing and building a small feed room...) Then we found a partial care pasture where hay is provided and we buy any grain and BO would feed. That one of course is a bit more around $250/275ish but has an arena (for my friend. Has some easy trails that I could mosey along, too)

All of these places are in radius of my preferred vet and farrier so I could get a second opinion from them. If they dont think he has a great outlook.... well, he would get some much deserved spoiling before anything happened.

Current situation now is if we did one of these self care barns where we provide hay and feed, what would be the most budget friendly? Buying a round bale or smaller squares and toss some daily.... theyre both big guys, 17 and 18hh respectively....Depending on how much grazing there is my boy may or may not need grain or maybe smaller portions than what he currently gets. He eats local mill grain so its nothing fancy and super pricey and the pasture he is on currently is not super graze friendly. Most "self care " I've done hay cost a lot cheaper, was in stalls so bales only, and would be included in board fee if you wanted to use their hay....and the other was when I lived on an island and worked at a feed store so already ridiculously priced hay plus discount.... also squares only. soooo I guess if anyone has insight here please let me know??

Comment

• Original Poster

I also just got digital copies of his xrays on his feet if anyone is interested in seeing them, PM me.... dont want to flood board with more topics or send this one in a different direction.

Comment

How big of hay eaters are they? Rounds are only cheaper in some areas, and only if they eat it all.

If a RB is 500lb (give or take they generally range from 4-600) ... that is 10 50lb bales. So for instance last year my FIL bought RBs for 50.00 each. For him it was actually more expensive since bales in our area are between $3-4 a bale.

You can feed off a RB without it being free choice but it is a PITA. I would do squares first and see how many you go through a week first.

Comment

well I kept the horse going even though I had to sacrifice. I don't regret a thing
                                    Bravo, you!!!

Can you afford to keep him alive just long enough to be in your wedding? I know weddings are expensive so I'm sure his shoes are taking a bite out of your disposable income right now. It's awful that you might have to provide retirement board for a horse you won't be able to ever jump again. You poor thing.
                                    Seriously, I have to question if people live in the real world. This is an awful economy and horses are a luxury animal. The OP didn't say she's having an expensive wedding in a few months. She said she's trying to feed her young child and keep her horse sound and is asking for ideas and thoughts and help, not your personal internet judgments about her financial situation and where her disposable income should be going. Without actual knowledge of her financial situation, I would think it's a bit presumptuous to comment.

I agree a second opinion would be in order, if you can. Maybe you can get him sound enough to have a job. Good luck!
                                    ---
                                    They're small hearts.

Comment

Perhaps this a little bit OT, but I wanted to address the suggestion that was made that the OP find a therapeutic riding program to donate the horse to.

In my experience (lots of volunteering with 2 different therapy programs, including free leasing my gelding to one of programs), therapeutic riding programs want/need sound horses. While most of the work is done at the walk and trot, the horses are dealing with less than ideally balanced riders and under NAHRA/PATH guidelines the horses can work multiple hours per day (I believe around 3 or 4, but the new PATH website is difficult to navigate and I was unable to find the latest working requirements).

Comment

Working...
                                      X