• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

HELP! Spilled Milk Jug Fly Trap Contents on Me!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the bright side, you'll be fly-free for a few days...

Comment

Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
      On the bright side, you'll be fly-free for a few days...
      LOL, quiet the opposite: Flies a drawn to the stink.

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
        LOL, quiet the opposite: Flies a drawn to the stink.
        Ohh, NOOOOOOO.....YUK. Never mind OP...There IS no bright side.

Comment

I don't know if this will work on destinking your shoes and clothes, but it's very effective on everything they claim it will do. I bought an oriental rug off of ebay and it had a horrendous smell. It reeked and washing it just made it more pungent. I figured I'd give this stuff a try before tossing the rug. Sprinkled it on, let it sit for a day and the smell was greatly reduced. Covered it and let it sit for several days, then vacuumed. No more smell. Hopefully you'll be able to keep your favorite pants and shoes.

https://www.facebook.com/OdorZout

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_sl_8j...&psrk=odorzout
          This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Comment

• Original Poster

Everyone, I cannot thank you enough for all the suggestions. I am extremely grateful.

The clothes & shoes, I have no idea how they shall turn out at this point. They are soaking in soup of combined suggestions.

My keyboard keys seem okay after cleaing with alcohol. My pricey mouse, alcohol & lemon do not seem to have worked. It has some sort of rubber "grips," not just hard plastic like the keyboard. I think the mouse may have to go bye-bye.

The bathtub is soaking in an incredible amount of bleach. Have the bathroom window open.

Me, I smell so much better than originally, though I do still have an "aroma." Quite frankly, I am still feeling a bit nauseated too, but this too shall pass.

EVERYONE LEARN FROM MY HIDEOUS LESSON! Do not leave the milk jugs out there too long! Change them out monthly (or sooner if full), whether they need it or not. The plastic degrades over time, all the faster in straight southern sun. Avoid my less than pleasant experience of today!

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP: I save the original milk jug lids to recap the jugs as I change them out, to keep the contents from spilling out. BUT! And this is a really important BUT, make sure you punch a hole or make a slit in the lid before recapping with the dead fly contents inside. As the dead bodies do gas off! *seriously* If this now recapped jug cannot "breathe," the jug WILL explode. You do not ever want to find out first hand how hideous this stench is! The trash company was so pissed off at me as the trash can hideously stank forever more & attracted flies like crazy. They finally gave me a new trash can. (That happened last year.)

(Yeah, my learning curve has been a little rough. )

Will I continue to use milk jug fly traps. Yes. I really like being able to recap the jug to help avoid stinky stench spills, verses the mess of emptying out the refillable kind of traps. Sure cannot blame anyone for chickening out & using the trap & toss varities though. But be careful when disposing that they do not spill/leak all over in your trash can!

Good luck everyone, & lord knows you never want to go through what I did today.

Again, I am so grateful for all the suggestions.

THANK YOU!
            ThisTooShallPass
            "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Comment

Since dead flies are organic...
              Natures miracle (For pets that have accidents) or another organic cleaner called 'Poop Off' for bird accidents would be my first thought.

Good luck.

Having one of those break are the things that nightmares are made of.
              A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
              Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

• Original Poster

The Answer is: TOMATO JUICE

Besides lots of soap & water as that is what the MDSD decrees one must do; I think I vote for tomato juice-at least for getting off of your skin. Though lord knows I tried several of the suggestions. Probably using one after the other is what really worked.

I think the smell is now gone-from me. No one has had funny looks or taken a step away today.

Before going to bed I generously rubbed lots fresh rosemary, straight from the bushes over my hands, arm & leg. It really helped to mask the situation.

The shoes are a loss. The pants, shirt & socks are going to get a couple of more washings, with even more tomato juice added. I may boil up some rosemary & add that to the wash water as well. Lemon juice added in too. (Sticking with that CSI recommendation proffered.)

Overally, an experience I hope to never repeat.

Again, very grateful for all the help!
                "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Comment

Originally posted by Sobriska View Post
                  Duh! You're supposed to drink the alcohol. Whatever kind you prefer. You'll still stink, but you won't care
                  This.
                  Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

Glad you've at least been able to destink yourself, TTSP!

One last (and late) suggestion, to remove especially tenacious smells from one's person... try toothpaste! Had to disassemble a weird ashtray thing at work once and in the process, got some really nasty smoke/nicotene residue on my hand. Couldn't get the smell off, after using everything I could find at work (including nail polish remover/acetone), so when I got home, I started washing my hands with whatever I could find there. Nothing worked, until I tried toothpaste. Have no idea why it worked, when nothing else would, but after a good scrub with nailbrush, no more cigarette smoke smell! A little on the minty fresh side, but that, I can live with.

Comment

Originally posted by bits619 View Post
                      I'm doing the squicky dance on your behalf....
                      EWWWWW! Also doing the squicky dance on your behalf, ThisTooShallPass!
                      Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

My best guess is the decomposing flies are letting off short chain amines and fatty acids, both of which really stink (very very badly). What I would do would be and acid wash (e.g. vinegar or tomato juice) followed by soap and water, to get rid of the amines and then a base "wash", e.g. sodium carbonate, followed by soap and water to get rid of the fatty acids.

Funny story - a co-worker, the P-chemist, of mine trapped a fly in a small glass vial. He was watching it slowly decompose in the vial - carefully noting the oily drops forming on the outside of the decomposing fly. And, then one day, out of curiousity, he opened the vial. It stunk in him out of the office and according to him, it ruined the entire rest of the day Of course, the rest of us were rolling on the floor w/ laughter.

Comment

Another vote for trying Nature's Miracle on the clothes and shoes - it has an enzyme that breaks down and gets rid of organic matter - and it is in an alcohol base.
                          APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I quit using the jugs because I started thinking the stink was attracting as many flies as a dead cow would. Yes, it caught a lot but I don’t think half of them would have been there if that thing didn’t stink so bad. Big ol’ green flies would show up. I never see them normally. Just my theory.

Comment

OMG I would have been puking non-stop if that had happened to me! The smell of that stuff alone makes me gag!

So sorry!

Comment

Working...
                              X