• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do you give your farrier a holiday tip?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave $40 this year. If he was coming closer to Christmas, I probably would have had some baked goods for him, but he came Nov 21st and I wasn't quite into the Christmas thing yet.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

Nope, I pay him for a couple of trims and that's it. However, just the other day I really dolled it up and gave a Christmas CARD. I mean just a card, not even the fold over kind. Hey, I got them for free with our embossed name (hubby and I). All the shoer did was tear it open, look for the check, take it out, make sure it was the correct amount and toss the rest on the floorboard of his pickup. So, nope, not going to waste good money or my time concerning myself over this. However, he sure has done wonders for my Sammy's crooked leg/hoof.
      GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
        It took me years of trial and error before I finally found a decent farrier. I'm a now a devout member of the Church of Farrier Butt-Kissing, and lavish upon him princely sums every Christmas. I consider it money well spent.
        Amen, sister. Except why wait for Christmas? I frequently provide 6-packs of "the fancy beer" as well as shameless, shameless flirting.
        The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

I AM my farrier! Right up till I busted my leg

Now I am paying a guy. A very good guy. And I tip him a little every trip. Because I only have 3 trims, and he's been kind to accommodate me. I will also do something extra for Christmas.

I know, from experience, its not expected, but always appreciated! Whether a simple card, food, gift card or home made item, I love that my clients do something for me
          I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Comment

My farriers (husband and wife team) will be getting baked goods and maybe some homemade beauty scrub for her.

I'm a newlywed college student....they're under no illusions that we're rich and can afford cash tips....but, they're absolutely AMAZING people (seriously...they send email appointment reminders....AND show up EARLY for our appointments! If our appointment is at 3pm and I show up at 2:55, I'm usually late!) and I farm sit for them regularly so I try to give them some 'extras' when I'm caring for their critters to make up for it
            To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Comment

I gave my old farrier lottery tickets. My new guy, who is awesome, is Mennonite, so I don't think that would go over well. The gas card is a great idea - and I can mail it, since he's not due to come until mid January.
              http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
              I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by saddleup View Post
                No. I make this great recipe for a sweet Chex/Crispix mix with cashews, m&m's and coconut that is really killer. He asks for it every year. I give it to my vet and his staff, too, and they tell me that's the reason I get such good service...so I'd better not stop dropping it off every year.
                saddleup, I would love your recipie for the Chex/Crispix mix. I tried to PM you but couldn't access it due to the new format. Thanks!

Comment

Here it is:

In very large bowl mix: 4 c. Rice Chex, 4 c. Crispix, 8 oz. flake coconut, 1 can salted cashews

In heavy saucepan over medium heat: 1 c. butter, 1/2 c. light Karo syrup, 1 1/3 c. sugar. Bring to boil, cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat, add 1 tsp. vanilla. Pour over dry mixture and mix well. Stir in about 2/3 c. red and green M&M's. Spread on waxed paper to cool.

Store in airtight container. I've heard it lasts several days, although it never has at my house! I put this in cellophane gift bags, tied with a ribbon and horse-themed tree ornament.

Guaranteed to make your vet or farrier, trainer or BO have a merry Christmas!
                  Last edited by saddleup; Dec. 1, 2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckz View Post
                    Amen, sister. Except why wait for Christmas? I frequently provide 6-packs of "the fancy beer" as well as shameless, shameless flirting.
                    Oh, I'm right there with ya. He never leaves my farm without a freshly-brewed double espresso in a go-cup, and if he is particularly punctual in an emergency I always overpay by $20 or $30. Although if I tried to flirt with him he'd probably bust a nut laughing.
                    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Comment

Saddleup, Thanks much.
                      What are Crispix? Is it a type of cereal?

Comment

Yes, he gets a bit extra in his check, though I always tip him an extra little bit with each visit; because he is on time 100% of his appointments and has never canceled in 5 years. Additionally, he is extremely patient with the horses and takes the time to accomodate those with lameness issues since I have a barn with retired horses.
                        "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."

Comment

Yes, Crispix is cereal. Made by Kellogg's.

Comment

I always try and be generous to my farrier. He does an amazing job with all my horses. No feet no horse!! Just saying...

Comment

YES, I do!! But I do this pretty much year round. Not each time he comes here, but most.

I make him cookies, brownies, my famous eggnog (no alcohol), or have him to lunch at my house. I cook lots from scratch. He is a good taste tester of many of my foods. Many times when he comes out, and I am out the door with warm cookies out of the oven for him in hand. Yes, really. Last time Snickerdoodles. Many times his teenage son comes with him, I think he is 19 years old now. I really like my farrier alot. He does a great job. He says I make biscuits as good as his grandma used to make, and he knows no other person who has ever duplicated them, until me! I will take that as a compliment!

He has a family, so when I make stuff I usually give enough for him to take home. Many times he asks for the recipe.

He is the absolute **BEST** farrier in the area. So I aim to make sure he keeps coming back. :-)

Farrier work is a physically demanding job. If my farrier retires, and only does a few horses, I want it to be mine for sure! But I like him any way, whether he does my horse foot work or not.

Comment

I'm in the camp that also tips a small amount every time my farrier is out. I also bring him a Mt. Dew (his favorite) each time. My farrier was taking no new clients and only started working on my horse when I moved my horse to a large training barn he worked at. He's continued to work on my horse even after I moved him to a different place and I'm very thankful that he comes for my one horse. He's been fantastic in working with my horse's vets (like when he had some ongoing mystery lameness issues a few years ago). For Christmas I will give a slightly larger tip (which he will reluctantly take) and some baked goods in addition to his Mt. Dew.
                                Originally posted by RugBug
                                Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Comment

Yep! I really, REALLY appreciate having someone good who shows up on time because a lot of the farriers around here are unreliable primadonna pains in the ass . Mine has come out twice in the last few months for unscheduled visits-- once to put a shoe back on after the vet pulled it for an abscess and once when I thought he had another abscess. He refused to take money from me either time, so he got an extra $150 in his check at our appointment the other day.

He also comes out to my place to trim 2 horses and shoe one, so it's not a huge moneymaker for him. If I were at a big boarding barn, I'd be inclined to tip less, but I'd still tip for sure. I think when I boarded one horse I normally gave my guy $50.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok, so $50 per horse seems right.
                                    Does your tip amount matter if the farrier has an apprentice or not? (i.e., would you give more since it's 2 of them?)
                                    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                    X