• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Albany to Portland ME - tack shops?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albany to Portland ME - tack shops?

Hitting the road soon for Maine. Anyone recommend any good tack shops from Albany, along 90 then 495 through Mass, then 95 to Portland? Thanks!
    But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Off that straight track a bit, but I always love an opportunity to go to Double G in Lebanon, ME. http://www.doublegtack.com/

They have lots of used tack and consignment clothing as well as a markdown room. They carry new items for both English and western riding.

Comment

I have the Double G on my list for this month. How good is it really ?

Comment

When I was there last spring (May) the consignment rooms were so full they weren't taking any new items until after June 30. Those rooms are packed! And they are not neatly arranged so be prepared to dig. In the past I've gotten brown field boots for $40.00, breeches for $15-$25 and a western show shirt for $30. I've come close to buying a western saddle (for trail riding, not show) for $400, but it didn't fit my horse so I had to return it; they offer a 7 (or was it 10?) day trial on consignment saddles. Oh, and a couple of years ago I bought a brand new Berney Brothers all purpose saddle for $700. I have friends who have found their growing children both show and every day clothes, but, as I said, you have to be willing to pick through tightly packed hanging items and lots of piles. One friend got a great deal on used jointed stirrup irons. When they have their spring yard sale day, there are some really good deals on new items. I got some nice Kerrits breeches at 20% off. That day there is also usually a "tent" sale with some deeply discounted items; a friend got a nice white dressage show pad for $15. I also bought two Tuff Rider saddle pads for under $20 each; it was the best price I'd seen for those particular pads.

All that good said, I wouldn't go there for blanket shopping; I find their blanket prices quite steep.

Comment

Another vote for Double G Tack - it's just over the NH border in Lebanon, ME. They carry just about everything for every discipline. You'll find a ton of stuff there that Dover would never carry or Smartpak either. Prices are decent - you can always find a bargain there. I don't find that their blanket prices are high but then again i haven't paid full-price for a blanket in years. They carry a lot of brands for everything (except Rambo's - haven't seen those there but I have seen the Amigo line). They always mark down their blankets at the end of the season - I picked up a couple that were 30% off back in the spring - got some really good deals. I find that they carry stuff that is hard to find in addition to the everyday stuff. They also have a feed store that has the Purina line (though I'm a TC or BS user) - they do carry bagged shavings too. Given a choice between Dover and Double G - well it will always be Double G and both are equal distance from my place.

There is also Adams Horse Supply in Winthrop, ME - I haven't been to their store though I'd like too. They always seem to have good deals/sales.
          Last edited by ryansgirl; Nov. 28, 2012, 06:22 AM.
          "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

Not to be picky, but it is in Lebanon, ME not Lebanon, NH.

Comment

If you are on 495 in MA you can get off at 125/121 and hit up the dover satellite store in tax free plastow NH. It is maybe 15 minutes off 495
              "I'm too sexy for my blanket, too sexy for my blanket, these mares-they should take it..." (J-Lu) - Featuring The Skypizzle Pony aka Classic Skyline

Comment

You're going right by Dover Saddlery in Plaistow, NH. It's just off of 495, right over the MA border.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-library/a/349/

They've got a basement bargain section that's hits and misses, but always worth checking out!

If you want to go out of your way a bit, SmartPak is in Natick, MA. Again, they have a bargain section (2nd floor) that is worth looking.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/store.aspx

The customer service at both is fantastic!

Comment

Horseman's exchange is less then a mile from the 495 off ramp in Littleton

Comment

Not on your route, but just 15 minutes north of Portland on Rt1 there is Freeport Tack Shop. It's fairly small but very cute. Plenty of high quality but affordable items, cute gifts, and a selection of used tack and apparel. Plus, the people are really nice and one of the main associates has the cutest Shelties who hang out in the store! I'd also hit up Dover Saddlery in Plaistow...love the bargain basement!
                    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

• Original Poster

Cool! These are great! And I just got an escrow check from my mortgage company!! Ho!Ho!Ho!
                      But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

Stop at Springdale Farm Tack shop just off the Portland North turnpike exit. This is a small 'new and used' tack shop--with a bit of everything. Stuff you need-stuff you didn't know you need. Nooks and crannys full of---

Western and English. Gifts. Kids clothing. Saddles. Blankets.

207-797-4857

hours Friday & Saturday or by appointment
                        The kind of place its fun to visit..
                        Last edited by macmtn; Nov. 30, 2012, 10:17 AM.
                        the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart

Comment

• Original Poster

Hit Springdale Farm Tack Shop, Double G, and Dover! Unfortunately, got a late start. The owner of Springdale doesn't normally open Thursdays, but she did for me, then I only had the last hour to shop at each of the other two. But got some things I really needed. And did some last minute Secret Santa shopping!

Definitely stopping at Dover again in the future. Hardly made a dent in the bargain basement. Really easy off 495, which I have to use every time I go to Maine. Double G was impressive, but a bit out of the way to get to, and you needed a mule to get up that road! With new tires and alignment, I crept along...

Thanks, everyone, for the info!

PS Toula, my gray female Irish Wolfhound loves her new pink coat from Dover's. Hopefully everyone will finally stop calling her a "him"!

Comment

I love that Dover. My sister lives 20 minutes away so whenever I visit her I pop in once or twice. I count myself lucky if I walk out of there for under $100.

The basement has yielded some steals (although sometimes it's strangely depleted): a really nice breastplace for $20, a dressage coat for $60, etc.

And I love the regular priced merchandise, too, because we don't get some things here in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPeg View Post
                              Double G was impressive, but a bit out of the way to get to, and you needed a mule to get up that road! With new tires and alignment, I crept along...
                              i LOVE double g! for a long time i had a jumping and a dressage saddle, both bought at double g for a combined total of $700. believe it or not, that road has been improved a LOT in the last few years...

Comment

Yep, the Dover in Plaistow is my favorite. I'm equidistant between two, that one and the original store in Wellesley. The Wellesley store is not worth a special visit...it's much smaller and there's not usually anything to speak of in the bargain area. The Plaistow store is big, well organized, usually heavily staffed and has a much bigger bargain section. No sales tax is a plus!

There's also a State Line Pet nearby if you need dog or cat stuff (State Line retail store no longer has much of any horse stuff). And, further up the same road State Line is on is a very interesting reptile store, if you are at all into that kind of thing . I bribe my 10 year old son with a visit to the reptile place to get him to go to Dover with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X