• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do you have a dream horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a dream horse?

Or do you own him already? Here's mine: Tall, big-bodied old style Warmblood. Bay with chrome. Preferably mare, or personable gelding. Solid 2nd Level dressage, with some jumping for cross training and fun. Big, but smooth gaits. Quiet, quiet, quiet.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

I'd like to believe that I found him.

Hot to jump but super chill the rest of the time, smaller, bay with chrome, good bone, super scopey jumper with the gaits to win in dressage, big personality gelding.

Skyline, an argentine bred warmblood gelding is awaiting import to start a career in eventing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHrcSNZtbz4 He is just so perfect for me, even if he is only 15.3hh
    "I'm too sexy for my blanket, too sexy for my blanket, these mares-they should take it..." (J-Lu) - Featuring The Skypizzle Pony aka Classic Skyline

Comment

I'm a cliche, and kind of simple

I just wanted a grey Arab gelding, and that's what chose me.

Comment

I believe I already own him - bay welsh cob with chrome and the talent to do FEI but the demeanor to make a fun and safe trail horse. Oh wait, I own 2 of those
        Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

Either black or Chestnut with Flaxen. Either must have lots of white, especially a blaze. Personality plus but chill undersaddle and solid three foot. Big Bodied and tall, around 17 hands. Probably Dutch or RSPI but any solid warmblood would be nice.

Comment

I own two dream horses already. I would be satisfied to have them and no others until I am an old lady.

The only thing I would change is to take about 15 years off of one of them. She is coming 20 this coming year. Her aging makes me really sad.

Comment

all my neds past and present have been my dream horses and ponies i love them for who they are or were
              and will say they give me that same love back time and time again andthey honour me by winning a lot lol

so yeah perfect

Comment

The horse I have now, but with a slower lope. And without the attitude he gets when the horse in front is "too far ahead".

Comment

yes, I do have him. Pinto half arab, good mover, talent for dressage, and great fun to ride.

Comment

Yes. Big - at least 17 hh. Killer flat kneed mover. Quirky, and a hot under saddle, but good ground manners. Very scopy, honest jumper, but likes to play out on the trail. Sound as they come, goes barefoot. Appaloosa, or Knapstupper crossed with a big Warmblood or nice Draft. Sigh.....
                    The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

I've got several horses and they all have their attributes but unfortunately they don't occur in the same horse. Just need to switch back ends, brains, work ethic and legs and we're good to go.

Comment

I admit, I had one.... and he was mine, for a short while. Seems forever ago now, like it never actually happened.... and I almost wouldn't believe it except that my favorite pic of him and is hanging on the wall just to the right of me. <3
                        We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

When I was a kid I never dreamed of any particular type of horse. Big, small, chestnut, bay, spotted, gelding, mare - it didn't matter, any old horse was good by me!

I got my first horse at 14 (I'm now 38) and while I've had several over the years and many of them were special, my current gelding is definitely my "heart horse". He's the last of our homebreds and while he was supposed to be for sale right from birth, I knew the first moment I laid eyes on him that he was mine. He's an 8 yr old Appaloosa, 16.2, black (or burnt orange-ish, depending on how sunburned he is) and while he's a big goof and I'm well aware of all of his faults, he was also pretty much broke from day one and even though he doesn't have the greatest of work ethics, when it's time to buckle down and get to work he does so without complaint. When he was a yearling a friend of mine called him an "old soul in a young body" and she was 100% right. I was always told that when someone offers you money for a horse that you take it, and he's the only one I've ever had where people have come up to me and asked if he was for sale, but he's not ever going anywhere. Every morning when I go out to feed, just seeing his face makes me smile. I hope everyone is lucky enough to find their "dream horse", even if they don't realize at the time that they have it.
                          It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Comment

I own her. She's amazing, but has been off the last six weeks with soundness issues. We're 12 days into a 2 week trial of equioxx, and I am so hoping she'll be back to full speed. Jet is 16, and she is my heart horse, best buddy, perfect ride.

Comment

I think we did. (and still have her in the backyard after twenty-two years)

We wanted an English Pleasure horse for our kids since both my wife and I grew up in the English world and everything here is Western.

Went back to Kentucky to find "an aged (at least seven year old) proven mount for the kids". The idea was they could start riding from the beginning.

Found a very nice long yearling, bought her placing her in training...came back a few months later to see her progress to find... a Western Pleasure horse in the making.

Humm.

After watching her work it was the correct choice.

Left her in Kentucky for two years to develop on the county fair circuit knowing if she could survive that she should be child safe.

She did well, we brought her home after having campaigning two years to be a backyard horse where she raised our four kids plus nearly countless friends of the kids

Our trainer's wife kept saying we were going to ruin a great horse... instead we found a great horse raised four great children to be excellent riders who won hundreds of classes.... and my wife even rode her to a competitive trail championship

Comment

Owned him. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../averynme2.jpg 17.2h of pure bay TB-tude, and the best horse God ever made.
                                "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Breed choice varies between tb or irish hunter. Gelding. Chestnut or bay with either a crooked star/stripe and white on at least one leg (though lately i've been intrigued by the idea of a solid with zero white). I almost prefer a clunky head /roman nose to a very dishy one. Looks (color, markings) really don't matter as much as personality/build, but this IS a dream horse....
                                  Enough substance or height to fit my frame. Brave and good mind, can be hotter but predictable without a too violent spook/buck! Moves off the leg well, wants to work, lots of heart and try. I would like to do hunter pace sort of activities, cross country obstacles, and show hunters (but not much of a need to compete often).
                                  BIG personality, goofy and inquisitive. I don't need the most athletic type, so long as he's sound and has a big heart.
                                  Last edited by bits619; Nov. 24, 2012, 10:37 AM. Reason: Additional details

Comment

I have mine "a cooking". It is in utero but I hope it is a filly so I can breed her when she is of age to a dilute and get a dilute Knabstrupper maturing around 16.1+ hands

If not.... I will have the boy gelded and he will be my "everything" horse
                                    Draumr Hesta Farm
                                    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                                    Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

Yes, of course. However, many of the horses I've ridden in the meantime have been good for me, enjoyable, and did not come in the package I expected.

I am learning to deal with the fact that so far, I have not gotten everything I wanted in one package
                                      Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

I did. OTTB, dark bay, 17.1hh, best sense of humor and work ethic, absolutely stunning...positively regal. Beautiful extended trot, loved, loved, loved all other animals, but standoffish to humans he didn't know. He fractured his femur in the pasture this summer. He can never be replaced. He was a once in a lifetime horse.

Comment

Working...
                                        X