• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

HELP: Is anyone on here a lawyer? :/

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Is anyone on here a lawyer? :/

I need some advice.
    First off, I'm in Canada. I don't know how much the laws vary from the US and here.

We found out a while back that there's a bunch of drama around Shylo.
    Names
    "D" - Lady who owned Shylo. She is from the UK. She got ill and had to go back to the UK for the healthcare.
    "K" - Lady who "D" entrusted Shylo to while she ("D") was gone. "D", at some point, told "K" to find a home for Shylo, specifically on a free-lease only. (Unless "D" decided she liked the leasor and gave Shylo to them)
    "B" - Lady I bought Shylo from.

THIS IS ALL HEARSAY

"K" Free-leased Shylo to "B". "D" says that "B" refused to have contact with her. "D" says she told "K" not to give papers to "B". "B" somehow got a hold of papers, and we aren't sure what happened but somehow "D"s signature was forged. We don't know who by, but "D" has confirmed that the signature on the papers are not hers.
    "B" sold Shylo to me on June 26th, 2012.
    I had a feeling something was up. Stories just didn't match up, so I did some research and found "D"s facebook page. Messaged her. A few weeks later, I got a message back. I called her.
    "D" said Shylo was never supposed to be sold. She was supposed to be given away after a test free-lease. However "D" said she tried contacting "B" multiple times, and "B" refused to talk to her. "D" then told "K" not to give "B" papers.
    "D" said she would sign Shylo over to me, and she just wanted to talk to "K" and, try to talk to, "B" and figure out what happened.

Didn't hear from "D" for a few weeks, so we called again. "D" said she hadn't had time. She said I could use her saddle. Gave us more information about Shylo's past. "D" said she would email me the next morning.

It's now been 2 or 3 weeks. I have sent 3 emails asking how she is, and giving updates on Shylo. Still no response.
    Now "K" has messaged me and wants to come see Shylo. I don't trust anyone involved in this right now, and I certainly don't want to show "K" where Shylo is, for fear of Shylo going missing in the middle of the night.

My question is this:
    Since "D" Has been gone for so long, and I have been providing for Shylo for almost 5 months, would it be considered abandonment? Is Shylo legally mine? Can I refuse having "K" come see her?

I just want this over with. I want my horse to be my horse, and I want to be able to relax and not worry about this entire thing.

You need to talk to an actual lawyer in your area. There is no substitute for that.

Do not take any action based on legal advice received from strangers on the internet.

Comment

• Original Poster

I won't be taking any action until I talk to some real lawyers, I just want to know if 1. there are any lawyers on here. and 2. what people think I should do.

Comment

Originally posted by SuaveShylo View Post
        I won't be taking any action until I talk to some real lawyers, I just want to know if 1. there are any lawyers on here.
        yes there are several. I am one

and 2. what people think I should do.
        My advice is for you to contact a Canadian attorney if you have a legal question.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LMH View Post
          My advice is for you to contact a Canadian attorney if you have a legal question.
          What type would I contact? Like, what would the case be under? I've tried to talk to an online lawyer, just to get an idea, and there are so many options on what it's about, and none of them seem to fit. ><

Comment

You need someone who has experience with Canadian "abandoned property" laws.
            I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Your best bet is to consult someone experienced with equine law. A quick search finds some in BC- looks like you are from BC?.

Don't discuss with any of the people involved until you consult a lawyer. Ask what a half hour or one hour consult would cost and start there.

Comment

What about talking to the police about it?

"I bought a horse that may technically be considered stolen, I have been in contact with the legal owner, and she says she is willing to sign her over to me, but the person who sold her won't give up the papers. To add to that, the person who the owner trusted to place her horse is now trying to come see her, but I am worried there is more to the story and that this horse may end up missing".

Really, anytime you knowingly come into possession of stolen property you NEED to either contact a lawyer or the police, and by the sounds of it your horse is stolen property. Coming into possession of something stolen will not give you the right to keep it just because you have been paying to keep it.

It sucks, but it is the right thing to do, and yes, you may loose the horse...because the seller had no right to sell her as they didn't OWN her.
                Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

• Original Poster

I have her papers. My name is on them. (Yes, she is registered). However "D"s signature was forged.

"D" wanted to give the horse to a good home. She asked "K" to free lease her to someone, and it was a test to see if they were a good home. "B" free-leased her, got her hands on the papers, and someone (not sure if "K" or "B") forged "D"s signature.

"D" has said numerous times that she will sign over to me, but nothing has happened.

Comment

I need some advice.
                    First off, I'm in Canada. I don't know how much the laws vary from the US and here.

We found out a while back that there's a bunch of drama around Shylo.
                    Names
                    "D" - Lady who owned Shylo. She is from the UK. She got ill and had to go back to the UK for the healthcare.
                    "K" - Lady who "D" entrusted Shylo to while she ("D") was gone. "D", at some point, told "K" to find a home for Shylo, specifically on a free-lease only. (Unless "D" decided she liked the leasor and gave Shylo to them)
                    "B" - Lady I bought Shylo from.

THIS IS ALL HEARSAY

"K" Free-leased Shylo to "B". "D" says that "B" refused to have contact with her. "D" says she told "K" not to give papers to "B". "B" somehow got a hold of papers, and we aren't sure what happened but somehow "D"s signature was forged. We don't know who by, but "D" has confirmed that the signature on the papers are not hers.
                    "B" sold Shylo to me on June 26th, 2012.
                    I had a feeling something was up. Stories just didn't match up, so I did some research and found "D"s facebook page. Messaged her. A few weeks later, I got a message back. I called her.
                    "D" said Shylo was never supposed to be sold. She was supposed to be given away after a test free-lease. However "D" said she tried contacting "B" multiple times, and "B" refused to talk to her. "D" then told "K" not to give "B" papers.
                    "D" said she would sign Shylo over to me, and she just wanted to talk to "K" and, try to talk to, "B" and figure out what happened.

Didn't hear from "D" for a few weeks, so we called again. "D" said she hadn't had time. She said I could use her saddle. Gave us more information about Shylo's past. "D" said she would email me the next morning.

It's now been 2 or 3 weeks. I have sent 3 emails asking how she is, and giving updates on Shylo. Still no response.
                    Now "K" has messaged me and wants to come see Shylo. I don't trust anyone involved in this right now, and I certainly don't want to show "K" where Shylo is, for fear of Shylo going missing in the middle of the night.

My question is this:
                    Since "D" Has been gone for so long, and I have been providing for Shylo for almost 5 months, would it be considered abandonment? Is Shylo legally mine? Can I refuse having "K" come see her?

I just want this over with. I want my horse to be my horse, and I want to be able to relax and not worry about this entire thing.
                    Just for posterity
                    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Yes, there are lots of lawyers on here, but none of them are going to give you legal advice. You're going to have to hire someone local to deal with this.

Comment

It doesn't matter if you have the papers if you didn't get them signed over to you from the legal seller. You are in possession of property that was unlawfully sold and you need to contact law enforcement or a lawyer.

When you first got the horse you WERE innocent, and thought you were legally buying a horse. Now that you know otherwise you can no longer plead that same innocence.

Consider it also possible that "D" is staying on your good side so her horse doesn't go "poof" again. It is what people here on COTH would advise someone to do if their horse was unlawfully sold and they were out of the country.

You are in possession of stolen property. Do the right thing. Report it and be prepared to return to the legal owner.

I have her papers. My name is on them. (Yes, she is registered). However "D"s signature was forged.

"D" wanted to give the horse to a good home. She asked "K" to free lease her to someone, and it was a test to see if they were a good home. "B" free-leased her, got her hands on the papers, and someone (not sure if "K" or "B") forged "D"s signature.

"D" has said numerous times that she will sign over to me, but nothing has happened.
                        Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

I sense a trainwreck...could be wrong....

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm awaiting a phone call from my Aunt, who is a lawyer. She's going to try and find someone who can help.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                              It doesn't matter if you have the papers if you didn't get them signed over to you from the legal seller. You are in possession of property that was unlawfully sold and you need to contact law enforcement or a lawyer.

When you first got the horse you WERE innocent, and thought you were legally buying a horse. Now that you know otherwise you can no longer plead that same innocence.

Consider it also possible that "D" is staying on your good side so her horse doesn't go "poof" again. It is what people here on COTH would advise someone to do if their horse was unlawfully sold and they were out of the country.

You are in possession of stolen property. Do the right thing. Report it and be prepared to return to the legal owner.
                              She's in the UK and has already said she cant afford to get her back and just wants a good home for her.

Comment

You are in possession of property that was unlawfully sold and you need to contact law enforcement or a lawyer.

No. She is not necessarilly in possession of stolen property just because someone said so. Too many possibilities. Please get legal advice.

Comment

• Original Poster

As I stated, I will be getting legal advice. Mum's not very happy that she has to help with all of this (I'm 5 months from turning 18, so mum has to do everything until then since she signed the bill of sale and such), but she understands.

Comment

Im a lawyer but um I'm a marine finance lawyer qualified in the UK so I cant give you advice but I know from my law exams many yrs ago that in the UK there is similar case law about cars where documents were forged on title and people purchased them without knowing they were stolen - while they were "buyers in good faith" so not guilty of wrong doing they ultimately were held not to own the car and it was returned to its original owner and then they had to try and go after the seller for return of funds (not easy if that person has no money or is in jail)... whether this would apply in your situation I have no idea but there is certainly a possibility you do not own the horse so I would get legal advice asap. The best solution for you would be if the original owner officially signs him over.

Comment

PM Blugal;
                                      she's a lawyer in BC. If she can't help, I'm sure she'd steer you towards someone who can.

Comment

• Original Poster

Messaged her! Thank-you Fanfayre!

Comment

Working...
                                        X