• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

2+1 horse trailers with living quarters, tell me about yours....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2+1 horse trailers with living quarters, tell me about yours....

I am starting to look for a new trailer. I want a 2 + 1 with moderate living quarters, just enough for me and my dog while we're on the road.

I'm interested to hear about what brand & year you have, what you like about it, what you don't like.

Thanks!
    Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Until recently, there weren't any 2+1 will REAL LQs in them unless custom. Shadow is now making a 2+1 with 10' LQ that I am lusting over.

I think a lot of people get the 6' dressing room and have weekenders put in them. Don't know if Risa at Happy Trails makes any 2+1s with weekenders, but that's probably who I'd start with.

Good luck!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Comment

I currently have a 2+1 with dressing room and upgrading to one with LQ... beware that the length of the trailer gets really long and depending on where and what roads you travel... that length might surprise you!

A 'normal' 2+1 with dressing rm is approximately 22' on the floor plus 8' for the gn, therefore total length is 30'

A 'normal' 2+1 with 10' LQ is approximately 32' on the floor plus 8' for the gn, therefore total length is 40' with that length... you definitely want a dully as your tow vehicle.

I'm working with Logan Coach and going with 27' on the floor for a total length of 32' - much easier to 'handle'.

Comment

Originally posted by jollytrak View Post
        I currently have a 2+1 with dressing room and upgrading to one with LQ... beware that the length of the trailer gets really long and depending on where and what roads you travel... that length might surprise you!

A 'normal' 2+1 with dressing rm is approximately 22' on the floor plus 8' for the gn, therefore total length is 30'

A 'normal' 2+1 with 10' LQ is approximately 32' on the floor plus 8' for the gn, therefore total length is 40' with that length... you definitely want a dully as your tow vehicle.

I'm working with Logan Coach and going with 27' on the floor for a total length of 32' - much easier to 'handle'.
        I am in the market for a 2+1 LQ and wondering about your calculations.You did not deduct for the dressing room. I am thinking the back is 19 +10 is 29 and with goose 37 I am hoping it isn't 40' anyway.

Comment

Ive had a few over the decades, one home built (that I had forever), and now a six horse with the small tack/living area with 4 feet of deck space and the gooseneck.

The homebuilt was an old Atco fully insulated trailer, that used to have a reefer unit on it. It rode like a bus, 6400 lbs empty. We made it into a horse trailer in 1979. Originally, it was a two horse, with a back load ramp. The living accommodation was about 6 feet of deck space, and the gooseneck. It had a stove, sink and cupboards in it. Then we took that out, and made the gooseneck only the living accomodations (beds), and put a side ramp on it, where horses would load in the side, move hind quarters over and back into the stalls, leaving the option to put a third horse in the turn around space. I only did that once I think. The deck on this trailer was 16 feet. The divider was hinged on a vertical bar at the back, and it had chestbars that were brought up and pinned once the horse had backed into its stall. I would still be using this trailer, but it simply wore out with age (it was originally built in 1964), the ribs rusted out in the walls. And it was dammed heavy.

Replacing it was a problem. So many of the trailers with living accomodations are too big, too much space taken up by the living accomodations, with the horses crammed into the back. The posh living accomodations are HEAVY, require a very powerful truck, and are wasted space if you are only looking for something to overnight in. And it is hard to find anything other than this, I think the rodeo crowd likes the fancy live in trailers, and evidently has no problem buying them. Trailer manifacturers like to accommodate them, and charge the big bucks for luxury. I wasn't particularly looking for a six horse, but that was what I found as a used trailer, Featherlite, fully aluminum. 4 feet of the deck space taken up by the tack room, where I store all my stuff, and beds in the gooseneck, which works well for me. It originally had three (THREE) tackrooms in it (had been on the rodeo circuit in Arizona thirty years ago), so I ripped two of them out, kept the front tack only. Enlarged the horse carrying area to make three box stalls out of the 26 feet of deck space. If I put six horses in it, I am probably overweight. But it carries three or four quite nicely. It is a luxury three horse trailer. Horses ride loose in the box stalls, and I have day stabling at horse shows with it.

You have to be very aware of the weight issue, as well as the length issue with these trailers. Licensing issues are weight sensitive. When considering length of a gooseneck trailer, it is only the deck length that is the issue. The gooseneck is free space. Length is not so much an issue, my hubby (who used to drive commercially, 53 foot trailers) says that the longer it is, the easier it is to back up. This is actually true, though it is a bit scary at first. It is easier because things happen more slowly than with a shorter trailer. Going down the road, the length doesn't matter that much. But these long trailers will drop in around tight corners more than you are accustomed to with smaller trailers. And of course, there are minimum space requirements that you need to get it turned around.

I don't know if you can find a LQ trailer that is minimal in size of the LQ made commercially, and afford the price of a new trailer. But older trailers are able to be switched around to suit. The modifications that I made in this old Featherlite only added strength to the frame, improved it (according to the aluminum welder guy).
          www.cordovafarm.weebly.com

Comment

We have an exiss that was a 4 horse head to head that was converted into a 2 + 1 with 16ft of living quarters. The trailer was built in 2001 and. It was bought brand new and went to a place in the US to be converted into a living quarters trailer as they were hard to come by back then. The trailer is 40ft long and is pulled with a dually. It's 15,000lbs loaded so quite a load....we want to sell this one and get a trailer that has less live in quarters and more horse trailer to it. We do combined driving and drive a pair of ponies. They take up the back 2 standing stalls and we use the box stall for one carriage and the 4 wheeler. The problem is, we need to be able to bring 2 carriages and the 4 wheeler. Our 40ft trailer isn't big enough lol! Well, it would be if we had less live in quarters. To tell you the truth, we are barley in the trailer. We spend so much time outside getting ready for shows or enjoying the outside weather. We would love a 10ft max live in spot. Just enough for a bed, small kitchen and a toilet and shower... We love our trailer, but smaller live in quarters would be better

Comment

Working...
            X