• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dust off that ark, PNW'ers! Who else is under water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're up on top of the hill in Duvall so we're high and dry. I'm always glad that my fields are on a slope away from the house and barn during these kinds of storms! I was also extremely thankful for my enclosed barn yesterday... Not having to go outside to feed and clean stalls was priceless and having stalls to shut the horses in overnight to dry was a godsend! Poor mini-horse has such long hair that she's still not dry though! Gonna have to recruit my mom for some currying time on T-day... And my poor yearling who came from Georgia a couple of months ago is cursing the day I bought him and shipped him to this place

My other guy who is boarded somehow managed to cover himself mud even though he was blanketed... I was absolutely baffled as to how you get mud up by your hips with a blanket on... But we had a wonderful ride in the covered ring while the hurricane-like rains poured down outside. It was actually pretty cool and the nearby river seems to be staying at bay so that's good. I was SUPER thankful for the screens that cover the three open sides of the ring because not a drop of rain or a gust of wind made it through. I am waaaaay spoiled there!

Comment

I took an unusual approach to the impending storm -- I left town! Nothing to do with the storm of course -- I'm in Boston for Thankgiving with my family. I left my friends in charge of horses, donkey, dog and cats. It seems that the river flooding situation is less severe than they had predicted, so for once, our farm is not in the worst possible place to be. I'm sure it's wet and miserable. It's also 3000 miles away which after some of the things I've weathered (pun intended) is a nice change and relief!
      Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
      Starman

Comment

I have lived in Washington since 1996 and the last 5 years have been like this and it seems to get worse every year This summer was a rare treat but it just makes it harder to deal with all the rain............It has to stop sometime, right
        RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
        May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
        RIP San Lena Peppy
        May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Diamondindykin View Post
          I have lived in Washington since 1996 and the last 5 years have been like this and it seems to get worse every year This summer was a rare treat but it just makes it harder to deal with all the rain............It has to stop sometime, right
          I agree, it does seem to be getting worse each year, or at least becoming a "regular" thing.

If nothing else, I'm thankful that I've been able to see this to know what sort of adjustments we need to make for next year to try and avoid needing a paddle boat. I shlepped out there yesterday afternoon to drag my jumps to safety - they were beginning to float away.

Comment

So sorry that you guys are swimming over on the west side! I'm worried about the amount of snow we are going to get over here on the east side this winter. Although, I think I'd rather have my horse in knee deep snow than knee deep mud. I keep hoping the ground will freeze.
            Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
            Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Comment

I prefer frozen ground and snow all winter to mud and flooding!!!!
              RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
              May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
              RIP San Lena Peppy
              May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

• Original Poster

Mr. Heinz and I have talked about moving to the other side of the mountains. If jobs were easier to find over there, we'd do it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Not so bad at our place. Just finished spreading hog fuel in all the really muddy areas and diverting the runoff a few days ago. Still a mess, but not as bad as it could have been. Its actually sunny here right now (like that's gonna last).

Some flooding on our road though, and I almost saw a Prius wash away this morning at a flooded intersection.
                  Neighbors field:
                  http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/.../Photo0790.jpg
                  http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/.../Photo0789.jpg

Down the road:
                  http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/.../Photo0791.jpg
                  It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
                  Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

We usually get some flooding over our dirt road in bad rains, because it runs along a creek. However, we were spared this time. We have some low spots in the pasture but also have culverts over them so the horses don't have to go down into the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post
                      I agree, it does seem to be getting worse each year, or at least becoming a "regular" thing.

If nothing else, I'm thankful that I've been able to see this to know what sort of adjustments we need to make for next year to try and avoid needing a paddle boat. I shlepped out there yesterday afternoon to drag my jumps to safety - they were beginning to float away.
                      Update: Right now at 6:30 p.m. we are having pounding rain with lightning and thunder.

I think it only seems worse because our summer runs so late into the year. I have been keeping a journal for a couple of years now with a weather report and on this day last year it was about 20 degrees colder and threatening to snow and by the 27th it was raining. The year before that it was snowy and very, very cold and we didn't have power.

Ah, the good old Astoria-Megler bridge, what memories I have of that thing when I had to go from Ilwaco to Astoria in the winter. In even in a low to the ground car it's scary in the wind, I can't imagine someone driving a semi type truck over it in bad weather. Crazy.
                      Last edited by Crackerdog; Nov. 20, 2012, 09:32 PM. Reason: weather update
                      My blog: Crackerdog Farm

Comment

Me too! You have good taste in horse keeping, my friend.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Yelm, JBLM, Tacoma and Oly are fine. I know my pal down in Toledo (an hour south in between Oly and Portland has severe flooding.

Ike the uber-amazing lime green Ford Fiesta forded small streams and and held the line in bursts of gusty wind I didn't lose power but the light at East Gate off Fort Lewis did, took forever to get through there last night!

Comment

Originally posted by LovelyBay View Post
                            So sorry that you guys are swimming over on the west side! I'm worried about the amount of snow we are going to get over here on the east side this winter. Although, I think I'd rather have my horse in knee deep snow than knee deep mud. I keep hoping the ground will freeze.
                            Oh I don't know about preferring ice over mud. I grew up in the Astoria area, they do get a lot of rain. But after dealing with these high desert winters I'm ready for milder temps and no ice!!! When you hear horror stories of freezing fog around Pendleton, believe them. Driving in that stuff is what nightmares are made from. Hope everyone and their critters is okay.
                            Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Gestalt View Post
                              Hope everyone and their critters is okay.
                              My critters are OK, but my husband is going to get whomped on when he gets home. I came home to find that he was home half the day and didn't notice that the water had dragged a good 20' section of the fence down with it. He feeds them in the AM and *should* have noticed, just like he *should* have noticed that my gelding's water was low (and didn't!).

I'm glad my boy is well behaved and didn't go for a spin around the neighborhood - but we won't always be so lucky!

Comment

Just wait until Mr. Heinz leaves a stall door open...with the horses inside...after you've reminded him a hundred times to check the doors before you leave the barn. Sigh. That's Mr.CC's "thing". It was fine with Very Old Cautious Horse (RIP buddy!), but with Giant Warmblood now living with my dear old Calvin, an open door/gate/bucket/coat is an invitation to investigate.

Wet, soggy and nasty up here, but getting better now that the steady deluge has ended. I hope your flooded field and downed fence is improving.

I am really hoping we get a hard freeze here this year, to kill off the plague of bugs we had last summer.

And Gestalt: I lived in Pullman for nearly 3 years, and that freezing fog is SCARY!! I do not miss that.
                                Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I checked with my cat, and she says this is better than last year. That comes from the fact that I rented her a place with great heat and excellent access to the outdoors, complete with few other cats in the neighborhood. She even decided that her excellent coat makes her impervious to water.

This is a happy, happy place for the old lady. She hasn't had accommodations this perfect in several years.

At least one animal is happy with it.
                                  The armchair saddler
                                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Glad everyone is surviving. We're reasonably dry up here - the lowest pasture is officially closed for the winter and the exit from paddock to pasture has started the slow decline to mud (next year I swear I will get some turf grid in there).

Thankfully, I got a bee in my bonnet on Sunday and skimmed all the sawdust sludge off the gravel outside the stalls. It royally sucked to do it (seriously heavy stuff), but it means that area is firm and draining rather than soggy and holding water.

I could do with a day of sun this weekend just for a break.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanHennery View Post
                                      Thankfully, I got a bee in my bonnet on Sunday and skimmed all the sawdust sludge off the gravel outside the stalls. It royally sucked to do it (seriously heavy stuff), but it means that area is firm and draining rather than soggy and holding water.
                                      Hey, we did the same thing here! Or, I should say, I got a bee in my bonnet and convinced SO to do the sludge skimming (maybe that makes me a bee in HIS bonnet?). It made a huge difference and the water would build up some during the big downpours, then magically drain away shortly thereafter.

But my arena remains too wet to ride. Ponies are getting grumpy so they may start going for walks up the road, just to keep us all sane!

Comment

I believe the owner got them out of there.
                                        Yesterday PUD had a scheduled "maintenance" day.
                                        I didn't have any power most of the day - that was speshul.

Originally posted by Gestalt View Post
                                        Holy high water!!! Can those horse get out of the water? I'm in northeastern Oregon, we are getting rain off and on, it's not too bad. But this wind is terrible. Yesterday and today has been non-stop wind coupled with very high gusts. Bleah.
                                        The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                                        H. Cate

Comment

Sounds an awful lot like Ireland!!! It's nasty cold rain again today; fields are flooded; roads are, too, and I have to go to the vet. Oh how I long for turnout sheds, hard ground (not mud) at the gates (we did put stone dust and sand at one gate this summer and it has simply disappeared into the mud...), and a real "American-style" barn (that is an with stall access from the inside...) Hope it gets better for you NW people!!! See you in the Spring, perhaps?

If there were so much mud before and after the snow, I, too, would prefer snow to rain...
                                          co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

Working...
                                          X