• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

*facepalm* some people refuse to learn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, S&S. When people toss out the word "bullying" to describe any behavior that offends them, they are diluting the legitimate claims of bullying and making it less likely that they will be taken seriously.

Judging from the general accuracy of horse heights given in ads, that horse could easily be anywhere from 13 to 16 hands, LOL.

Comment

Great post S&S!
      Telling someone facts that they have wrong is totally not bullying. Because the person does not want to hear it does not turn it into being a meany.

Comment

It's just the kinder, gentler society these days. Can't hurt precious' wittle fweelings. This is why there is no-score soccer for kids and everyone gets ribbon in 4H now, all blues and reds, no other color.
        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

I sympathize about the OP's encounter with me-so-hurt-you-so-cruel online girl games, but you did kind of ask for it. Asking about the horse's height wasn't bullying, but it's a variety of pointless verbal prodding that really came into its own with the internet and could probably use its own little word. God knows, it isn't confined to the internet - every time you try to say "Nice day," as a throwaway and someone intones "It's actually quite damp if you know anything about the dew point," you've encountered a pointless prodder.

Comment

Hear, hear SarahandSam

Since when did someone telling you that you are incorrect count as mean?

The corrected advertiser wasn't being held to a standard of Political Correctness, so much as Correctness. And the argument that 14.5 hands exists in some system her husband uses? So the F what?

Man, I can't believe someone even wrote (and believed) that argument. She's the exception to the rule, right? Please tell me that most people aren't that stupid.
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
              And the argument that 14.5 hands exists in some system her husband uses? So the F what?

Man, I can't believe someone even wrote (and believed) that argument. She's the exception to the rule, right? Please tell me that most people aren't that stupid.
              Let us go with this and believe that she is has been taught this. No biggy. Just explain to the people asking what it means to you instead of typing a huge long paragraph about how mean everyone is.

A simple, "I am sorry for the confusion, this is how I was taught to right it. The horse is 14 and a half hands tall so 14 hands 2 inches" would have ended the discussion and everyone would be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                Let us go with this and believe that she is has been taught this. No biggy. Just explain to the people asking what it means to you instead of typing a huge long paragraph about how mean everyone is.

A simple, "I am sorry for the confusion, this is how I was taught to right it. The horse is 14 and a half hands tall so 14 hands 2 inches" would have ended the discussion and everyone would be happy.
                Because she didn't care to ask hubby how his system worked. She simple regurgitates his bull$shit measurement system because she's too lazy to figure out what the rest of the universe uses to measure horses.

Honestly, I'd have itchy fingers too, but I'd be damned sure to avoid that seller like the plague. If she cant' measure a horse, and can't comment on a common vice other than to make generalizations, how do we know the healthcare, hoofcare, dental care, etc. was up to par?

She may as well have been hopping up and down saying "I'm an idjit!! Come buy my horseeee!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
                  It's just the kinder, gentler society these days. Can't hurt precious' wittle fweelings. This is why there is no-score soccer for kids and everyone gets ribbon in 4H now, all blues and reds, no other color.
                  Is that for real about 4-H? That's crazy if it is!
                  *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

Originally posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
                    Not in my area. Classes are placed like any other show. Reds and Blues are added to determine things like qualifying for state fair, etc. (Reds and blues at 4-h are not fist and second in this case. They are a ranking for effort and such.)

Comment

there's no point at all in asking someone to clarify the height of their horse in an ad in writing- you have to go look. I went horse-shopping once with a person who, due to his personal height and body structure, really wanted a horse who was of leggy svelte TB build between 16 and 17 hh high. Well, the number of horses advertised as 16 + hh who turned out to be somewhere in the 15 hh range, and occasionally even shorter, was rather alarming. Even if you were careful to emphasize the need to get a horse of particular height over the phone or in writing, it didn't make any difference.

anyone educated in the decimal mathematics system is bound to make mistakes with the archaic "hands" system of measurement, so I would cut people some slack there. I think we should move on from it and just use cm's high at the withers.

Comment

Yes here it is true. A champion ribbon, blues, and then reds. It's BS.
                        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

• Original Poster

It's called the Danish System. It is supposed to have 3 ranking levels: blue, red and white. Blue for entries that have exceeded class requirements, red for entries that have met class requirements, white for entries that have not met class requirements. Some places also give a champion and reserve. Some counties have a policy of never giving whites, which does defeat the system. It is suppose to level the playing field so it is not of a competition of who can afford the best, but who is doing well with what they have. I appreciate it on some levels, but it can backfire, especially in counties where they don't allow judges to use the white rating.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

Very diplomatic, sistah.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

In NZ, the measurement system was (not sure if it still is) in places metric. So 14, 14.25, 14.5, 14.75. Not all countries (cough, cough) subscribe to imperial.

Comment

I'm in Canada, where everything is measured in metric, but we still use hands for horses. So 14.1, 14.2, 14.3, 15 etc. Have never heard of a horse measurement as 14.25! Learn something new everyday

Comment

Given the post was public, and the tone may have detracted from the seller being able to sell the horse, I can see where it may have crossed the line and been a tad on the bullying side of things...or if not bullying, then not in the spirit of the posts intent.

There is a European site that advertises horses using hands and decimals rather than hands and inches. It seems like a very petty thing for people to get so worked up about. In general, when shopping for a $500 horse, I think you can guess the measurement is at best an estimate anyway.
                                  Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Strictly playing devil's advocate here...the argument could also be made that if one is trying to unload a $500 horse just before winter while hay prices are up, a seller should be prepared to try and set themselves apart from the rest of the $500 and under horses out there by representing the horse accurately (correct height falls into that category).

Bottom line is, it's a buyer's market. Temper tantrums and excuses don't get a horse sold. Even if someone is being a big meanie-pants ya just gotta suck it up, say "my bad this is the actual height" or whatever and move on. *If* the posters were "trolling" her to get a rise from her she gave them exactly what they wanted. And heck for all we know "Poster 1" was legitimately interested in the horse. All that person asked for initially was clarification on height and if the horse was buddy sour. Par for the course questions from a potential buyer (I've asked about buddy and barn sour issues on every horse I've ever bought, it's important to me since I ride alone most of the time). Who knows? She could've blown a sale by by getting her panties all twisted trying to defend hubby's creative horse measuring system.

If I were interested in a horse and got that kind of response simply trying to get a good idea of the horse's height and whether it has a vice that would affect how I use it, I'd move on to the next couple dozen ads for horses in that price range. Not like there is any shortage of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Mac Donald View Post
                                      In NZ, the measurement system was (not sure if it still is) in places metric. So 14, 14.25, 14.5, 14.75. Not all countries (cough, cough) subscribe to imperial.
                                      In NZ, we measure in metric e.g 147cm OR the traditional hands high 14.2hh, not as far as I'm aware a combination of the two. We do have our fair share of speshul people who have their own speshul measuring system though.

Comment

Anybody wanting a "real" education and a BIG headache should check out the Tulsa, Ok. CL ads. They are "creative" to say the least. You learn to read, chuckle and move on...unless you can read between the lines!!!
                                        www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                        Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Anyone else think immediately that people need to learn to let sleeping dogs lie? My personal opinion is that unless you are seriously interested in the horse, there is no need to correct spelling, grammar or other mistakes in an ad.

Then I remembered this is COTH and denegrading other ads is a favorite pasttime here. Apparently, this is necessary for some people to feel better about their own shortcomings.

Comment

Working...
                                          X