• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Working horse in the dark?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working horse in the dark?

My mare has been home since the end of summer. It was fine at first, but now with the time of year and my work schedule it is full dark before I get home. I don't have anywhere well lit where I can work her and I don't have enough time to ride to justify putting her back in a boarding facility right now.

I do have a large roundpen that is semi-lit by the barn lights, but it is not light by any means. Do you think it would be dangerous to work her in the semi-dark? She does get all day turnout, but I'd like to keep her sort of in shape.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

They see quite well in the dark (much better than we do)

If it's lit well enough for you to see, it seems like it should be fine.

I've ridden at night with no lights a couple times, and it's pretty neat - you find you have a much better sense of things when you can't rely quite as much on your eyes.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Perfectly fine.

Do it all the time. Even with the indoor with lights option, sometimes it's just nicer to ride outside in the summer breeze.
      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I think it depends on the rider, since horses seem to see quite well in the dark.

My daughter because of time constraints like yours rides fairly regularly in the dark. I, on the other hand, cannot see at all in the dark and I find that it messes with my balance, so I don't/can't
        \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Comment

I did it for years and it was fine.

I was more worried about it at first than my horse ever was. At first I went an bought a bunch of lights at Home Depot and spent the whole day putting them up. That evening, I turned them on, went out on my horse and held on tight while he spooked at all of the shadows. LOL From there on I just rode in the semi light from the barn and the garage.

Comment

I don't know that horses see better in the dark than humans.

I do know that if you've got a "clear" round pen and don't expect to do anything dramatic (like jumping, trot poles, etc.) then there should not be any real safety issues.

Of course, be aware of what's going on and if necessary back of when that's indicated.

Night work will mean more care on your part but it should not pose any undue risk to the horse.

Good luck as a "night rider"!!!!!

G.
            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Horses actually should be able to see better in the dark than humans because of the way their eyes are. Most animals have something in the back of their eye that reflects light back through the retina so they can 'use' more of the light available than humans can since we don't have that. That's why their eyes glow in pictures with a flash or when the light hits them just right.

EDIT: That said, I've never ridden in major dark, but while our ring has light, it's not a lot of light and we've ridden out there with no issue. I probably would mostly stick to flat until I could get out there during the day, though, personally.
              The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
              Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MuskokaRider View Post
                I did it for years and it was fine.

I was more worried about it at first than my horse ever was. At first I went an bought a bunch of lights at Home Depot and spent the whole day putting them up. That evening, I turned them on, went out on my horse and held on tight while he spooked at all of the shadows. LOL From there on I just rode in the semi light from the barn and the garage.
                Good to know about the lights. I was thinking about doing something like that, but maybe I'll try without first. She doesn't seem to care about the lack of light, in fact last night when I went to bring her in she was galloping around the pasture in the dark.
                It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
                Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

A few years ago, our barn had a power outage for a few days after an ice storm/blizzard. We rode in the indoor anyhow until it was VERY dark in the evening.
                  A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

They can see pretty well. She will be fine. I rode in the dark just last night. There is a flood light a 100' or so away that provides some light - but not much.

Managed to have a good ride, worked on the flat w/t/c.
                    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

As another person said, the only problem I have is with my balance in the dark? It's really unusual to be trotting around without the visual input! That said, i easily get unbalanced and disoriented, but know others who aren't as sensitive as I am who ride just fine.
                      There have been other threads on this, but i think the general consensus is a) safe footing, b) horses see well enough in dark or low light/better than us, c) human intervention isn't flawless (shadows can be spooky, and riding with head lamps could cause the horse to have a harder time at adjusting their vision (if you were to turn your head and the light went away, for example). For people whose horses don't mind the shadows, they might ride with their car headlights facing the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                        I don't know that horses see better in the dark than humans.

I do know that if you've got a "clear" round pen and don't expect to do anything dramatic (like jumping, trot poles, etc.) then there should not be any real safety issues.

Of course, be aware of what's going on and if necessary back of when that's indicated.

Night work will mean more care on your part but it should not pose any undue risk to the horse.

Good luck as a "night rider"!!!!!

G.
                        I am surprised at your post.

Horses not only see better, they see much better.

I am sure that if you put a horse in a totally enclosed room similar to your hall closet that they would not see anything. Nothing can "see" in total darkness.

However, there is no such thing as total darkness in the outdoors.

Now I am not suggesting that anyone do what I used to do, but when I was in college and for several years after, I would get my horse out after supper and ride cross country.

And I mean cross country in our hunt country. I jumped panels just as I would in the day.

Now that I am older, I shudder to think how things could have turned out; like some farmer leaving his harrow in the field in front of the panel and me and my horse landing on it.

I also remember the Walsh girls coming to the show and schooling over our outside course in the dark. That course had very very solid fences a couple of which were 4' and all of the others 3'6'.

Now there was some light in the area of the fences, but it was the worst kind; lights from the nearby ring, lights from the row of show stalls, etc.

But they actually made it worse in my mind because they theoretically could blind the horse because of their location.

A few stars, glow from the nearby town on a cloudy night, etc., and a horse can see as well as he needs to.

That said, I no longer ride at night because at my age my balance is not what it once was. It is much easier for a horse to step out from under me and actually, I get a little bit of vertigo riding in the dark. Never had that in those days.

Comment

Perhaps solar power lights around the round pen would be helpful. Like these http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...5/product.html

Comment

• Original Poster

I thought about something similar, I'm just not sure they'd be bright enough to do anything except cast scary shadows. We have some near the driveway, and they remind me of runway lights. Not meant to illuminate the area, just give you an idea of where to land the plane (or park the truck ).
                            Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've taken many a trail ride at night, moon and no moon. The horse has waaaay better night vision than I do, and I've always found him (much to my surprise) to be much calmer and less spooky riding in the darkness.
                              *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Comment

I rode with a headlamp on not too long ago when my barn was without power due to hurricane Sandy. It was kind of fun. My horse didn't seem to mind. I just had to be a bit more diligent about looking where we were going.

Comment

Well, my Appy mare is nightblind, so I don't think I'll be trying any midnight rides anytime soon.

Comment

It's not advised at all to ride with a white headlamp though people seem to survive it every day. Horses have fairly good night vision but it's not like they can "see in the dark" though it can feel like it... I've ridden many mountain miles in the dark and the horses don't stumble or trip at all; even when we're in solid trees with no moon, as long as the trail is clear they're good. If you get off trail or into brush you do have to slow it down a bit and let them pick through. I can remember riding up a mountain switchback at about 2 am, thick trees and no moon, I couldn't see my hand in front of my face but our horses knew the trail very well. I remember the packhorse cutting the switchback and not following it out to the end; I didn't have a clue but my good horse stopped, looked up at the cheating pack horse, and very determinedly stomped out to the end of the switchback like the trail said! LOL Our horses don't miss a beat and travel the same down the trail whether it's daylight or midnight.

You surprise me too, G. Don't you ride after dark?

OP: in a round pen with misc light? You're golden.
                                    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

Working...
                                    X