• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is the property you keep your horse on fenced?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post

Have any of y'all ever known a horse to get loose and leave all the other horses on the place and flee for parts unknown? Just curious - it seems to me that would be kind of counter to their herd instincts. Although that seems to be what happened with the horse on the other thread.
    Yes. The few times I have seen a horse genuinely panicked, they have gone hell bent for leather in whatever direction they happened to end up going in. Unfortunate.

Naughty horses breaking away while getting on the trailer/busting some crossties for the heck of it/etc? Those are the jerks who run around the property with a flagged tail, riling everyone up and generally causing havoc, and then come running for the grain bucket.

I can think of seven or eight barns in my area (large ones, 20+ horses) that have road front fencing/gates. It is just simply a MUST if you live near a busy roadway. The ones that don't have gates are the ones in quieter areas, where if the horse gets out you deal with some angry homeowners with pock-marked lawns, not dead drivers.

I mentioned it on the other thread, but if a driver gets hurt/killed by a loose horse, the lack of any safe fencing keeping the horse on the property is going to be the first thing that the lawyers bring up.

Comment

Nope, pastures are fenced, but the residential part of the property (which is in front of the barn) is not fenced.
      http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
      I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Comment

My house is at the front of my property. The driveway to the barn area is on the north side of the house. You have to go through one gate to get to my back yard, and open another to the back section where the barn and horses are. That area is completely fenced and gated. There have been a couple of times where I left the gate from the back yard to the barn area open...and the horses got out of their stalls and then wandered into my yard to graze and explore. Because the front gate is always closed there was a happy ending to their great adventure. I live in a horse friendly area, but there is a lot of traffic once you leave my street. It just makes me sleep better at night.

Comment

Originally posted by exvet View Post
          Our property has a perimeter fence with a couple of gates which we keep closed actually because of our dogs. Here range grazing is still practiced. It's the land owner's responsibility to fence their acreage/property if they want to keep things out (as opposed to in).
          Yep, the cattle our jerk neighbor doesn't even attempt to keep in are a big part of why our entire property is fenced. He actually puts up barbed wire to detract horses from riding on his property at all, but doesn't bother to connect it into an actual fence, and lets his cattle wander wherever - including a road with a 55mph speed limit. Due to our open range laws, if a cow runs out in front of your car and you're going the speed limit and can't stop, you owe the owner for his cow. It's happened in our area.

There are also many people who see no need to keep their dogs in despite leash laws here, and several of them formed a pack and were attacking horses.
          If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
          -meupatdoes

Comment

I've never boarded at a facility with a gate/perimeter fencing.

However, the farm my family has in Oregon has a couple gates and perimeter fencing before you get into the area where the barn/horse paddocks are.
            Semi Feral

Comment

Most of the perimeter of my property is fenced, my pastures basically surround my barn/house on 3 1/2 sides, with a long gravel driveway that leads to the road. So 95% of my perimeter is fenced, but I don't have a separate perimeter fencing. I'm extremely lucky however, I have woods on 2 sides of my property, another horse property on the 3rd, and our "road" is a private road, we are at the end of a cul-de-sac.

I am thinking about installing a driveway gate though because random people sometimes drive up the driveway (um really people? It's GRAVEL, and NOT A ROAD) and scare the crap out of me.
              come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

Originally posted by netg View Post
                Yep, the cattle our jerk neighbor doesn't even attempt to keep in are a big part of why our entire property is fenced. He actually puts up barbed wire to detract horses from riding on his property at all, but doesn't bother to connect it into an actual fence, and lets his cattle wander wherever - including a road with a 55mph speed limit. Due to our open range laws, if a cow runs out in front of your car and you're going the speed limit and can't stop, you owe the owner for his cow. It's happened in our area.

There are also many people who see no need to keep their dogs in despite leash laws here, and several of them formed a pack and were attacking horses.
                That's just crazy. you would think the cow owner would owe you for your totaled car since his cows are not where they belong. it's not like someone was speeding through his cow pasture and hit a cow.
                My blog: Crackerdog Farm

Comment

you would think the cow owner would owe you for your totaled car since his cows are not where they belong

Not in those states that still practice range grazing. The state and federal land depts. sell permits to those who want to range graze their cattle, horses, sheep, etc. There are little to no fences because out here it takes 1000s of acres to support just a couple of cattle. Free range grazing is just that FREE RANGE. There are no boundaries unless you put up a fence on your property to keep others OUT. The livestock here take priority so if it consoles anyone as long as your horse is branded or tattooed (and the brand/tattoo is registered with the Dept of Ag) and you carry a permit to range graze and your horse crosses the road and gets hit, again the driver is responsible for the liability.

My husband gets calls all the time from outsiders who move in and are yelling and pitching a fit because horses just ate their highly cared for lawn or expensive landscaping......well..... depending on where they live those could be (1) feral horses so they're SOL, (2) they could be range grazed ranch horses so they're SOL or (3) they're horses that belong on the reservation and then they're really SOL. You could replace the word, horse with cow, bull, any ole hoofstock and it's the same answer.

So if you live in unincorporated parts of the counties or in rural towns or are truckin' down the Interstate, the livestock has the right of way. It's the law and it's the way things are done out here in the wild west.
                  Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

Paddocks are fenced in with some wooden fences but mostly electric fence. That is IT. The outdoor ring has no fence and is right by the road. Fortunately there is a nice stretch of tempting grass next to it, and the one time I was bucked clear off and so could not hang on to my horse, she only went a few yards before stopping to eat. Escapees usually go to fields and pastures, not the road...but as the road is getting busier and busier, I sure hope no horse will end up on it...especially at night.

Even at the big event barn where I sometimes board, the pastures, and some of the rings are fenced in, but not the driveway / access roads / Xcountry course. Fortunately the facility is on a back road where people drive slowly.
                    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

We have 35 acres completely fenced and gated. More for the dogs than the horses as the horses have never headed for the road, though they have headed for neighbor property that could head for the road. On a bigger farm I could see a money issue, but I would rather pay the money and have everyone safe, than to lose an animal to no fence.
                      \"I never play horseshoes \'cause Mother taught us not to throw our clothes around,\" ~ Mr. Ed

Comment

Our entire farm (16 acres) is *nearly* completely fenced and the driveway has a security gate with key code...I'm hyper paranoid!

Comment

Current barn is completely fenced and there is a gate but I said it "stays open" for the purpose of the poll. It is open furring business hours. It is closed at night or when no one is on property. The barn is on a tiny, very bumpy dirt road surrounded by other farms. It's not unheard of for a horse to be found roaming. They usually are caught and returned to their proper home quickly.

When I was growing up the barn was not fenced but was at the end of a 3/4 mile dirt road with fences on both sided and only one other neighbor. Literally the horses had to go 3/4 of a mile straight to get away from the farm. We all felt really safe and frequently a horse or two would wander loose around the barn yard. One day the herd of ponies got a notion to bolt down the road and make a mad ash for freedom towards the busy road beyond. They got about half way before they got distracted and started grazing but a gate went in within the week and it was always closed.
                          The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

Where I board, the horses are enclosed in separate fenced areas or mare motel stalls and there is a perimeter fence with a gate that is locked when the facility is closed and left open when the facility is doing business. They have been in business a long time and, while the rare escape artist gets out of an improperly closed corral or stall for a nighttime stroll, I do not know of any cases where a loose horse has escaped the perimeter fence.

Comment

I've never kept a horse where the perimeter was entirely fenced, let alone complete with an always closed gate, and I don't think it's the norm, either. My farm now is mostly fenced, but there's several hundred feet of road frontage that isn't. I'm on a rural road, and the very rare occasional loose horse usually just goes tearing around the hay field or between pastures/paddocks riling up the pasture rats. There are no horses across the road from me, and my horses would very likely balk at pavement, so I don't worry too much about it.

Comment

Originally posted by quietann View Post
                                We've been on my BO for a while to fence the property, or at least the two sides that run along busy roads. Almost 30 years ago, when she built the barn, the area was quite rural. That is no longer the case. A gate might be overkill, and to be fair, along one road it's partially fenced and where it's not, there's a big hedge, but the corner that is open freaks me out.
                                This is exactly our situation at trainer barn, minus the hedge Formerly quiet road, now insane along one edge of the property & no fence. Makes me twitchy.

My parent's place we have the entire horsie area fenced. The barn & barnyard are enclosed all around, pasture in the back. If they get out of the barn, no place to go.

Comment

We're up on a hill, connected to a private road to the west. Main road is probably 3/4 mile away, downhill and across a stream.

Out of hundreds - thousands - of horses that have come and gone from this property, the only one who's ever gone down the hill on the private road is the pony. And he didn't even get to the bottom of the hill.

The north and south are completely fenced off, with woods, stream and then the private road to the north of the fence, woods on the other side of the south perimeter. The farm runs into a steep hill to the east and is almost entirely fenced, except for a ~15 foot gap which we can block off, where a trail/primitive road up the steep hill begins.
                                  It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Comment

Originally posted by exvet View Post
                                    you would think the cow owner would owe you for your totaled car since his cows are not where they belong

Not in those states that still practice range grazing. The state and federal land depts. sell permits to those who want to range graze their cattle, horses, sheep, etc. There are little to no fences because out here it takes 1000s of acres to support just a couple of cattle. Free range grazing is just that FREE RANGE. There are no boundaries unless you put up a fence on your property to keep others OUT. The livestock here take priority so if it consoles anyone as long as your horse is branded or tattooed (and the brand/tattoo is registered with the Dept of Ag) and you carry a permit to range graze and your horse crosses the road and gets hit, again the driver is responsible for the liability.

My husband gets calls all the time from outsiders who move in and are yelling and pitching a fit because horses just ate their highly cared for lawn or expensive landscaping......well..... depending on where they live those could be (1) feral horses so they're SOL, (2) they could be range grazed ranch horses so they're SOL or (3) they're horses that belong on the reservation and then they're really SOL. You could replace the word, horse with cow, bull, any ole hoofstock and it's the same answer.

So if you live in unincorporated parts of the counties or in rural towns or are truckin' down the Interstate, the livestock has the right of way. It's the law and it's the way things are done out here in the wild west.
                                    I wanted to give it a thumbs down because I hate it, but yep what she said.

I think it's ridiculous, and at least the guy here could very easily keep his cattle in but chooses not to, and they regularly do damage to other people's property.

On the plus side, my horse is terrified of cattle so the cattle hanging out on the other side of the fence while I'm riding has been great training for him!

There are laws regarding what kind of fencing the rancher will have to replace if the cattle break it down, and ours is beyond what's required, so at least we're protected in that sense...
                                    If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                                    -meupatdoes

Comment

The barn I board at is completely fenced off, with a gate to the barn, although all pastures/paddocks but two border a good stretch of the road.

The main gate to the barn is more often closed than not. Used to be the mare and filly had full run of the barnyard, so the gate was closed at all times, and controlled closely when a vehicle needed in/out. Now mare & filly do not have full run, and gate still remains shut for most of the time.

I only ever open it if I am bringing my car or horse thru, or expecting vet/farrier/chiro, etc.

Emily
                                      Last edited by Emily&Jake; Nov. 11, 2012, 03:28 AM. Reason: spelling
                                      Originally posted by katarine
                                      I don't want your prayers, tiny cow.
                                      Originally posted by Pat9
                                      When it's time for a horse to go to a new person, that person will appear. It's pony magic.

Comment

in town
                                        heavily wooded buffer between the road and private horse barn with fenced pasture, entrances and fencing "posted" No trespassing
                                        more hay, less grain

Comment

I believe in the adage that good fences make good neighbors so my two horse properties have been completely fenced with dog proof, woven wire perimeter fencing with locked gates. The huge investment in perimeter fencing for my former 40 acre property came about because of a neighbor with loose, unneutered dogs that liked to fight with my dogs and annoy my horses PLUS my loose, probably unneutered neighbor on his ATV wreaking havoc on my trails and fighting with and annoying me. Fencing him and his dogs out was the only logical option to allow peace on my property.

Now I live on only 6.5 acres, but it is also perimeter fenced in dog proof, no climb woven wire with locked gates. This way my horses and dogs stay safe from the busy roads that are nearby and safe from any loose dogs or errant teenagers!

For me, perimeter fencing is a huge priority in a horse property because of my location. If I lived on a signifcantly bigger property than my former 40 acre property, then I understand the cost might be impractical and other options considered. If there is a busy road nearby, at the very least I would want a fence and gate on that side to re-direct a loose horse away from the road.
                                          Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
                                          Home of Fitz, Austria & Erin
                                          Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Daeo, Max, Finn, Jake, Seamus & Pleasure

Comment

Working...
                                          X