• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Loose dog spooking my horse, horse is badly injured

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starhouse View Post
    I would like the owner to fix whatever issue is allowing the dog to get out. I don't think that's a lot to ask! If it were my dog, and I have NEVER had an issue with my dog getting loose or not coming when called, even off leash in the wilderness, I would feel very badly. I would apologize, ask if there was anything I could do, and I would remedy the problem with the fence to stop the dog from getting out.
    Just for kicks let me reword this...........

I would like the owner to fix whatever issue is allowing the horse to get out. I don't think that's a lot to ask! If it were my horse, and I have NEVER had an issue with my horse getting loose, I would feel very badly. I would apologize, ask if there was anything I could do, and I would remedy the problem with the fence to stop the horse from getting out.

So, what do you need to do?

Comment

If the dog was on the other side of a fence...as others have said...his presence was not the issue. He didn't chase your horse. He could have spooked your horse while being on a leash. It is your responsibility to secure your girth and/or stay on board. My biggest concern would be a horse facility that is not secured to keep loose horses from getting onto the road. That would really upset me. I think you got lucky and didn't have a greater tragedy.
      www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
      Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

What jumped out at me is that you have no fence between your barn/outdoor ring and a busy street with rush hour traffic. With this situation, isn't it inevitable that a horse can get onto the road? It's not like spooks and falls never happen.

Maybe I misunderstood?
        "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

As a rider/boarder, I try to look at my similar situation as an opportunity to sack out. You just never know when there's going to be a loose dog at a show (or I don't anyway) or bicycles or anything.

Even with a fence the dog's action could have spooked the horse and the following disaster ensued. Our barn has a neighbor dog who is always fenced in and often in his owners' company, but it doesn't stop him from running up to the fence and being a jerk. In my situation, the owners were even with him in the yard when he rushed my recovering horse and freaked her. She ran back to the safety of her barn, tho.

Yes, I would want the owners to know just so they are forewarned of possible problems should the dog someday not be playing, or take the play to pursuit. If it were my dog and I was so clueless about horses, I would want to know.

I'm glad your barn owners are seeing their way to improving the safety of their facility. That's long overdue.

As far as your saddle ... have you checked with your homeowners/renters insurance? I know it often covers loss of articles not IN the home and may help with the saddle damage.

I'm so sorry. As someone who has been known to be a little emotional (hahaha) about her horse, I can imagine how traumatized you feel. Take some time, write about it (maybe privately to yourself) ... that's my regular advice for self-therapy, and I hope you both heal with only minor scars.
          *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

Had the dog come into the arena area or come after you then yes report it. Otherwise I just might let the owner know what happened and leave it alone from there. Your horse is the one that spooked at the dog in the distance so you cant blame the dog for that one but the fact that the owner let the dog free roam is a problem.

Hope you and your horse heal well
            LILY-13yr APHA/PtHA mare**LUKE-11yr Rescue Haflinger gelding (being leased out)**ANNIE-7yr AQHA mare

Comment

I think the issue with the injured horse and the neighbors dog getting out are truly two different issues. Like has been said over and over again, this was simply an unfortunate accident. The dog did nothing wrong, and a bunny sitting there could have caused the same spook.

If you are truly concerned about the neighbors dog being loose and not trying to point fingers of blame at them for what happened to you and your horse then contact them and simply say that you saw their dog loose in the park including the date and time and that you thought they would want to know because being a dog lover you would want to know if your dog was sneaking out. No need to mentioned your horse accident that if you are going to point fingers of blame I think the horse is the one most to blame.

I also think there is a big difference between a dog running loose unsupervised, and a well-trained dog with a solid recall off-leash with the owner close behind.
              How would an owner and a leash changed the outcome in this case?

Yes the dog was loose in the park with no owner present. He apparently does this often, though it was my first encounter with him.
              How do you know the owner was not present? Are you assuming that because you did not see the owner at the time of your spook that the owner was not around anywhere?

Comment

My girth seemed tight to me but I also weigh 140 lbs and I don't think many saddles would have stayed put if they had 140 lbs of person hanging off to one side.
                Only 140 lbs? You're a wee slip of a girl. When I was hanging out the side door of mine, it had 165 lbs pulling on it, but no slippage. So I think you need to look at tightening the girth or doing something else to stop this slipping issue. Especially with a young horse.

I'm glad your BO is going to fence the ring. Seems like there will be at least one silver lining to this cloud - maybe your accident prevented some awful tragedy happening in the future.

I'd definitely talk to the owner if I were you. I think free-range canines are a menace to themselves and others, even the most well-intentioned of them. Sadly, though, there are lots of them at least in my part of the world, so as you now know, you have some work to do with maresie and loose dogs.

The other thing I'd do is teach her to stop when she loses her rider. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious - but this is such a handy button to install.
                I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
                  Only 140 lbs? You're a wee slip of a girl. When I was hanging out the side door of mine, it had 165 lbs pulling on it, but no slippage. So I think you need to look at tightening the girth or doing something else to stop this slipping issue. Especially with a young horse.

I'm glad your BO is going to fence the ring. Seems like there will be at least one silver lining to this cloud - maybe your accident prevented some awful tragedy happening in the future.

I'd definitely talk to the owner if I were you. I think free-range canines are a menace to themselves and others, even the most well-intentioned of them. Sadly, though, there are lots of them at least in my part of the world, so as you now know, you have some work to do with maresie and loose dogs.

The other thing I'd do is teach her to stop when she loses her rider. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious - but this is such a handy button to install.
                  I would love to install that button. If you have any tips on how to do that, I am all ears. Thank you for your helpful response

If nothing else, I am glad this incident has persuaded the BO to put up a gate to prevent horses (not just mine) from getting off the property and into the road. I wanted this from day 1 but I am a boarder (and a rough boarder at that), not the owner, and I don't have extra cash to just go out and buy a big gate for the barn.
                  http://www.lucysquest.blogspot.com

Custom Painted Saddle Pads and Ornaments

Comment

I haven't read the whole thread to find out what's been hashed back and forth about what occurred. First and foremost I want to say I hope you and your horse are all right. Hopefully you and she will recover quickly from your injuries.

Secondly I want to say, quit blaming the dog for what happened. You were riding near a busy roadway with a loose girth. You should be thanking your lucky stars your horse isn't dead, people aren't dead and you're facing lawsuits and jail time. What if a child moved at the edge of the ring? A balloon? A crackly bag? A billion other things that could make a horse shy? Would we be reading, oh if only blah blah blah didn't mess up my training session for the EA? Please. You weren't prepared when your horse shied and lost your seat. Your saddle slipped, spooking your horse further, because you didn't tack up correctly. You lost control of your horse and she got hurt. And if it were me in your shoes? Every time I look at the scars on my horse I'd remember that horrible sick feeling as I watched her race towards moving traffic and remind myself not make the same mistakes again.

But hey, if pointing a finger make you feel better? Look in the mirror and do it.
                    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Comment

That's very scary and I'm sorry.

But what I'm really concerned about is your saddle slipping so badly it ended up under the horse. That is what stuck out to me the most in your story and if it were me, that's what I would be focusing my attention on. The dog, really in the grad scheme of things, is a moot point.

IMO, if your saddle had not slipped this wouldn't have turned out nearly as bad. I would do my best to make sure that never happens again.

But to answer your question, yes you should tell the owner what happened. If it were my dog I would absolutely want to know if she were wandering around by a barn with working horses. However, I think in your case it should be more of an FYI and not accusatory, per se.

I hope you feel better soon.
                      Barn rat for life

Comment

A properly fitted saddle and a tightened girth shouldn't slip like that. Once your horse is recovered the very first thing I would do is have a qualified saddle fitter out. Young horses have backs that change quickly and what was fitting 6 months ago clearly wasn't fitting when this incident happened.

Comment

I would love to install that button. If you have any tips on how to do that, I am all ears. Thank you for your helpful response

If nothing else, I am glad this incident has persuaded the BO to put up a gate to prevent horses (not just mine) from getting off the property and into the road. I wanted this from day 1 but I am a boarder (and a rough boarder at that), not the owner, and I don't have extra cash to just go out and buy a big gate for the barn.
                          There's actually been a thread about it before, but most people suggest that it starts with you laying down on the ground and copiously shoving treats into horse's face when she comes to investigate. Then they associate fallen riders/dead bodies with treats.

Although in a situation of true panic (a young TB mare with a dumped rider and a slipped saddle, already in full-out-bolt-mode), it's quite likely that that instinctual flight-response is going to override any desire for sugar cubes, unfortunately.

Comment

I would love to install that button. If you have any tips on how to do that, I am all ears. Thank you for your helpful response .
                            I did a quick search and couldn't find the thread we once had on how to do that. My horse came with the button already installed, but I'd probably shape it with a clicker. The key with clicker-training anything is breaking the behavior you want down into tiny chunks.

In fact, I think clicker-training might be a great thing for your mare all the way around - it works wonders with spooky horses. Amazing the things they manage to ignore when they know they'll get reinforced for ignoring.

Shawna Karrasch has a big old set of DVDs that deal with de-spooking your horse by target training. It's kind of expensive, but there's loads of good free info on her website. You have to give your email addy to see the free de-spooking videos (I did this and apparently she really didn't sell my addy cause I haven't gotten any junk mail as a result). Her website is on-target-training.com. Works undersaddle (Beezie Madden uses her methods -in fact Shawna used to be her trainer; and so does Jane Savoie) as well as on the ground. Just be sure you really get the basics solid (particularly the "keep your big head out of my space" basic ) before moving on to the other stuff.
                            I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                              I think the issue with the injured horse and the neighbors dog getting out are truly two different issues. Like has been said over and over again, this was simply an unfortunate accident. The dog did nothing wrong, and a bunny sitting there could have caused the same spook.
                              I agree with this. If it were me, I'd tell the owners - that their dog is loose, that I was it alone outside the barn property, even that it spooked my horse.

But I wouldn't get into the whole story of the spook, because
                              1. most of what happened is due to the horse's reactivity and ill-adjusted girth;
                              2. the exact same thing could have happened with a dog "under control" with its owner a few meters behind it - all the dog did was play-bow while staying off the barn's property, it didn't chase, it didn't threaten, it didn't escalate, etc.

The owners do need to know (or if they know, be endlessly reminded) that their dog is getting loose. But that has little to do with the incident caused by a dog's mere presence not even on barn property.
                              Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Comment

On the saddle slipping thing. Not saying it is or is not the case with this horse and this rider but even with a properly fitted saddle and a really tight girth, some horses are just not built in a manner that prevents the saddle from slipping back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
                                  I did a quick search and couldn't find the thread we once had on how to do that. My horse came with the button already installed, but I'd probably shape it with a clicker. The key with clicker-training anything is breaking the behavior you want down into tiny chunks.
                                  My guess is that it wouldn't have helped in this case, because of the saddle slipping.

My mare is an older ex-schoolie who's had riders falling off her all the time. She always stops when the rider falls. (She also looks innocent.)

Once, when I got my new saddle and failed re re-adjust the girth after riding a bit (it seemed tight to me too when I mounted), she spooked at a horse passing us too close after coming off a jump. Not a super-scary situation, and I fell because I was a beginner, but she would normally have just stood there.
                                  Except my girth was loose and the saddle slipped under her belly. THE POOR MARE LOST HER FREAKING MIND! Thankfully we were in the indoor and someone eventually caught her after a good long while of heedless galloping and slipping/sliding in corners, but her eyes were still rolling back when I tried to walk her out after the saddle was removed.
                                  Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
                                    A properly fitted saddle and a tightened girth shouldn't slip like that. Once your horse is recovered the very first thing I would do is have a qualified saddle fitter out. Young horses have backs that change quickly and what was fitting 6 months ago clearly wasn't fitting when this incident happened.
                                    You must have missed that I just had my saddle fitter out on Friday, November 2 (not six months ago). I doubt it changed that much in three days. My horse had a few days off before my ride on Monday because I was away. Obviously my girth needed to be tighter...I did tighten it but I guess not as much as I should have. I take full responsibility for that. This has been hashed out already.

The original question is should I let the dogs owners know that their dog was loose back in the woods. I don't need to be attacked for being a terrible owner, nor do I need to be told that I should look at her scars for the rest of her life and think back to this horrible day (wow, what a terrible thing to say to someone). Though every reply to this thread has had some valid points, a few of you could really stand to review your tact. I sat at home last night feeling like a complete failure of a horse owner because of things that some of you said. I spent time contemplating just getting out of horses all together after 23 years of living for them. I already feel terrible about all of this. I certainly did not WANT my horse to spook. I did not WANT to fall off and get bashed up. I did not WANT my horse to run to the road and endanger herself and others. I did not WANT to see her in pain and scared. I did not WANT a massive vet bill or the headache of now having to make a claim on her insurance. I was looking forward to our clinic this week and I am disappointed that we can no longer do it, as anyone would be, BUT I am glad my horse is alive and will recover well enough to take another shot at EA next year. So please stop with the really harsh tones, guys. I am not a bad person, I really try to give my horse the best life I can. She came to me skin and bones with sad eyes, and is now a gleaming, healthy animal who gets a 10lb bag of carrots at the beginning of each week from the local produce farm, sees the massage therapist and chiro regularly, is loved on and groomed and treated kindly, and has a pretty good life.

There were a few factors beyond my control that contributed to this issue and a few that I could have prevented, but it happened; it's in the past, and there's nothing I can do to change that. My BO is going to install the gate to prevent any horse from going up in the road, as I have said numerous times in this thread.

I am going to try and work with my horse to see if I can get her to stick around sans-rider. Thank you to those of you who contributed helpful ideas/links for that.

I am not going to comment further on this thread.
                                    http://www.lucysquest.blogspot.com

Custom Painted Saddle Pads and Ornaments

Comment

Crap happens. I've done some horrendously dumb or neglectful stuff (probably worse than not tightening a girth enough) and have just been lucky that my carelessness wasn't also accompanied by a freak accident. I am SURE I am not the only one who has had a total brain fart about common-sense safety issues. Yours just happened to turn out particularly badly because of circumstances out of your control. There but for the grace of God go I, on more than one occasion.

I don't think the dog was really at fault, but I think YOU would feel better if you told his owners something. I'd say "Hey, when Fido is out by himself, he sometimes pops up unexpectedly and scares horses. My horse mistook him for a horse-eating wolf the other day." It's not likely to make them defensive, nor is it a demand that he be leashed at all times, but it at least alerts them to the issue.

You'll probably be kind of obsessive about tightening your girth in the future, too.

Comment

you could try calling the dog owner and mention the dog has been running around loose, and say things like "could get into busy road" and "hunting season" and impress upon them it is better for the dog to not be running around unsupervised like that. That would solve one problem.

I was briefly involved in teaching a horse to stop dead when the rider fell off- we put a heavy stuffed toy on the horse, lunged the horse, and when the dummy fell off, used the line/verbal whoa to get the horse to stop then fed the horse treats while the horse stood there. Repeated until the horse was stopping on its own the second the dummy fell off.

Comment

...if I had a dollar for every time I've contemplated just throwing in the towel and being done with the whole horse thing...well - I'd be a rich woman. It's hard sometimes, but they're worth the heartbreak and frustration. Hang in there - and feel better soon!

Comment

Working...
                                          X