• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Switch barns or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch barns or not?

Posting under an alter. Long story.

I've been going back and forth for literally over a year now on whether or not to switch barns. I've been at the same barn with the same trainer for approximately seven years now. In the beginning, it was great. My trainer was insightful and honest and care was fabulous. Now....the care is still great (I can't complain about that), but there have been a lot of little things that are now adding up to be a big problem for me and I don't know what to do. I'm very upset.

For the last year or so, the quality of the lessons has diminished for me. I feel like I'm invisible when I ride in my lessons. For awhile, I felt like I, an adult amateur with confidence issues over fences, was being passed over for the talented juniors with no confidence issues who were also interested in showing. I just sort of accepted my fate. I considered talking to her about my feelings, but there NEVER seems to be a good time to speak with her. In addition to the above, lately she has begun to talk to people not lessoning during my lessons, so I feel even more ignored. Plus, her daughter has recently begun to ride and a good portion of the lessons is taken up by her daughter jumping jumps and riding recklessly in the ring while the boarders are supposed to be lessoning. Specifically, I often have to pull up my horse and just stand in the middle of the ring in order to prevent a crash as the child seems to close her eyes and ride. She is willfully disobediant when told not to do something, runs into horses, jumps jumps backwards, switches directions when everyone in the lesson is supposed to go the same direction, etc. Thus, the lessons have sort of become useless for me in many ways.

Next, I have another concern with my trainer's child. The child often grabs items from my tack box without asking and does not put them back. In fact, about two months ago, the child took my car keys out of my tack box and would not give them back. I and the child's grandmother (BM) had to corner her and yank the keys out of her hands. I have now started to hide my car keys. When I have discussed the situation with my trainer, I was informed that there was nothing she could do and I just needed to watch my stuff better. The child has done things like fall on the ground, crawl UNDERNEATH my horse, and scream and kick when she is having a tantrum or grab a pair of scissors (from where? who knows...) and attempt to cut his tail, fur, whiskers, etc. (I have been present and able to stop her before this has happened). Fortunately, my horse is very good with children and remains calm, but there is almost nothing I can do now. When I attempt to reprimand this child myself since the BM and my trainer are basically useless, I am told by the child that she is the trainer's daughter and she "owns the barn" and can do what she wants. This child is only 7 years old...I'm frightened of what she'll do when she becomes older and stronger.

In addition, I am being pressured to spend money on shows and clinics. It's not that I don't want to attend clinics or shows, but the barn has recently raised board due to the drought (which I totally understand) and right now, I just don't have the extra money needed to participate in such activities. When I explain to my trainer why I cannot attend a clinic/show, I'm told "Oh you have enough money. The clinic/show is only XXX amount of money." This behavior is doubly bizarre as I've never been that into showing before anyways.

Lastly, and I feel this is the final straw, I was recently informed by my trainer that I am no longer to allow my god-daughter to groom my horse. I recently had someone out to visit my horse (a coworker of mine) who fell off my horse. My coworker was wearing a helmet and had signed a liability waiver. She was not hurt, except for some bruises. Initially, my trainer did not want me allowing anyone to ride my horse. I completely understood this request as her facility could be potentially sued by an insurance company. However, (and maybe this is just me) I think it's a little over the top to not allow my god-daughter to groom my horse. She has groomed him on many, many occasions without any incident whatsoever. She wears a helmet (I always require anyone working around my horse to wear a helmet because I'm paranoid), even though she is not riding, and grooms him only in my presence. My trainer told me the reason she doesn't want my god-daughter to groom is because she has cerebral palsy and if my god-daughter wants to be around horses, she should take lessons. My god-daughter's cerebral palsy is exceptionally mild and does not hinder her ability to perform gross/fine motor activities and right now her family does not have the money to support her horsey habit. So, I let her groom my horse, which she loves, and give him treats. I'm upset that she will no longer be able to do that.

So, help! If you were me, would you stay or would you go?

Go. And I will say that I think you taking the time to post this means you already know the answer.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales
    Facebook | YouTube

Comment

Go. Your paragraph about the trainer's child is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Comment

Just go. The daughter and her issues alone would send me away.

Comment

It sounds to me like you know you should leave and you just want someone to tell you its ok..so I will tell you, its ok to leave. I also feel that in the future you need to speak up about issues that are bothering you while they are small, and not wait until the situation has become untenable for you.

Comment

You seem very unhappy, I would move. Unless you are allowed to use outside trainers. But even then this demon child would still steal your car keys, etc.. Which btw, is totally unacceptable. I would be LIVID that no one is making this child behave. If that was my kid, I would have "worn her out" as my dad used to say, if you know what I mean. In front of everyone. My son is in the barn with me every day. He will be one on saturday, so he does not do anything like that, but I am smart enough to know that clients come to the barn to get away from stress, not deal with your ill behaved children!! That would totally piss me off!
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

Good lord - that's a nightmare situation on SEVERAL counts. GET OUT OF THERE! A cowbarn with no trainer would be better/safer.

Carol
              www.ayliprod.com
              Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

Get out. It sounds like a nightmare that will only get worse. You may find something that will make you wish you had left a long time ago.

Comment

My notice would have been given with the scissors incident.

FWIW my daughter is seven years old. If she displayed any of the behavior you describe she would not be comfortably sitting on a horse - or anywhere else - for a month!

Comment

I can't believe you're still there.
                    My blog: Crackerdog Farm

Comment

Originally posted by gieriscm View Post
                      FWIW my daughter is seven years old. If she displayed any of the behavior you describe she would not be comfortably sitting on a horse - or anywhere else - for a month!
                      My 6.5 year old would NEVER get away with acting like that - and neither would my FOUR year old. Dangerous.

I would be far, far, away. And if asked, I would tell them why....

Comment

I have to ask... does the trainer's daughter do this to anyone else, or has she chosen to make you her special victim? Not that it matters either way; you should LEAVE. I just continue to be amazed by how people let their children treat adults and clients and wonder if this has become an issue with others at the barn as well.

My impression, both from your post and how long you have put up with this, is that you tend to be kind and circumspect and perhaps not the most outspoken person. None of that is bad, but there comes a point when you have to get angry on your own behalf and do something about the ridiculousness. Just imagine what that child could get up to with your horse when you aren't there to intervene.

Comment

Oh, YUCK. GO. Go now. Run as far and as fast as you can!

Comment

Originally posted by alterfabulous View Post
                            In addition to the above, lately she has begun to talk to people not lessoning during my lessons, so I feel even more ignored. Plus, her daughter has recently begun to ride and a good portion of the lessons is taken up by her daughter ... riding recklessly in the ring while the boarders are supposed to be lessoning.

... I and the child's grandmother (BM) had to corner her and yank the keys out of her hands. ... I was informed that there was nothing she could do and I just needed to watch my stuff better. The child has done things like fall on the ground, crawl UNDERNEATH my horse, and scream and kick when she is having a tantrum or grab a pair of scissors (from where? who knows...) and attempt to cut his tail, fur, whiskers, etc.
                            Flee. Flee now, while you can. Like someone else said, this kid is a lawsuit waiting to happen. What if your horse accidentally steps on her or knocks her over? Sounds like the trainer wouldn't hesitate to sue you, because Pookie can do no wrong.

Don't waffle for another second. Find a new barn.
                            Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
                            http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

Comment

Tomorrow is the 31st. Get out now. After you have safely moved your horse and your belongings then tell the trainer and BO why. That is total nonsense. Good Luck
                              West of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                                Tomorrow is the 31st. Get out now. After you have safely moved your horse and your belongings then tell the trainer and BO why. That is total nonsense. Good Luck

Totally agree. Again. This is a situation where I would not give 30 days THEN move the horse.... no way no how. What is scary is the mom doesn't seem to care what the child does.... so what if one day she DOES cut his tail off? or whatever? Mom won't care... UGH.

Comment

Leave. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars.
                                  Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Comment

Oh gosh, the issues with the child are more than enough to leave over. There's something wrong...that is not normal behavior for 7 year old, they generally have more self control than that at that age. And the trainer shrugging the behavior off is pretty scary...for the kid as much as anyone else. Whatever their issues are you and your horse shouldn't have to suffer for it. I'd certainly get out.

Comment

I have to say, when I read "scissors" I blinked real hard and gasped. I'm sitting here alone and my gasp was audible.

You know how something has to be REAL funny for you to laugh when you're sitting alone? Same with this.

Get thee out now.

Comment

Wow. I would leave just do to the owner's child. That is a walking lawsuit.

As for not letting others ride or groom your horse. Really? The rule at our place is you come on the property you sign a release and you follow all barn rules. It is the responsability of the person you are visiting with to make sure you follow those rules. Other then that, you pay to have your horse there why would you pay to have your horse someplace you can't have others come?

Comment

Working...
                                        X