• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Still boarding The Owner: WWYD?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anybody worried about SwampYankee fleeing CotH; she's here.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

• I find SY disgusting, frankly, and am glad I don't live in her neck of the woods. Just because I didn't speak up earlier doesn't mean I silently enjoyed her posts/topics. Quite the opposite.

Honestly, people like SY don't go away, they have too much fun staring at the mutilated bodies hanging out of the rail cars of their train wrecks. She will either back off and lurk to enjoy being the topic of discussion, or post a phony dramatic "goodbye" whilst having her alter identity already created. I would be surprised if she doesn't already have an alter that she uses to "argue" with herself or drive her threads. I doubt she can walk away like a grown up, professional person would do if they were truly attempting to save their dignity.
      If you love me let me go....

Comment

• I don't care for most of the things Swamp Yankee has posted. I also don't care for threads like these belittling a certain member regardless of who they are or what they did. They are words typed out on a forum. I find most people change behind the computer screen and act in a way they don't in public. I don't care if this thread shows Swamp Yankee's true colors, we are not any better then SY if we continue this thread. It is like kids ganging up on the nerdy kid in school. Not very cool.
        Derby Lyn Farms Website

Derby Lyn Farms on Facebook!

Comment

• I see now

Originally posted by YamahaGT80 View Post
          Is 1,961 posts in 6mos correct?
          10 posts a day. How does one know the gender of the poster? (didn't want to start a thread for silly question). On topic, very interesting thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
            I don't care for most of the things Swamp Yankee has posted. I also don't care for threads like these belittling a certain member regardless of who they are or what they did. They are words typed out on a forum. I find most people change behind the computer screen and act in a way they don't in public. I don't care if this thread shows Swamp Yankee's true colors, we are not any better then SY if we continue this thread. It is like kids ganging up on the nerdy kid in school. Not very cool.
            As a teacher , I think this is about the kids who were milling about uncomfortably watching the nerdy kid get picked on by the bully finally deciding enough is enough and standing together in front of the nerdy kid to tell the bully ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

This is not about 1 impulsive, offensive post. There is a pattern of premediated, inflammatory posts.

alittlegray had it right about SY taking pleasure in the "mutilated bodies hanging out of the rails cars of <the> train wrecks" .

The part I can't get my head around is why she set up a profile making her so easily identifiable. I am really hoping & praying that Swamp Yankee's profile was a hoax and that she really is NOT the owner of said retirement boarding stable. In which case I hope that poor barn owner tracks down this fraud. Thinking that she actually is the owner of a retirement boarding barn where she is entrusted to care for beloved horses whose owners have no doubt made sacrifices to do the right thing for their old horses makes me physically ill. And, I suspect that she probably IS the owner given the changes in her profile once the $hit hit the fan here. Disturbing on sooooooo many levels.

Comment

I don't care for most of the things Swamp Yankee has posted. I also don't care for threads like these belittling a certain member regardless of who they are or what they did. They are words typed out on a forum. I find most people change behind the computer screen and act in a way they don't in public. I don't care if this thread shows Swamp Yankee's true colors, we are not any better then SY if we continue this thread. It is like kids ganging up on the nerdy kid in school. Not very cool.
              I completely agree.
              https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
              Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
              www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

• I dislike public displays of emotion and fuzzybunnyness. I'm weak at best when it comes to either actually having or expressing empathy. So would I be participating in a vigil or going out and giving the "moonbat" (hey, SY, Howie Carr called, he wants his catchphrase back) a hug or buying candles for the graveside vigil? No, probably not, except maybe the hug if cornered. But I wouldn't particularly think twice about it or be anxious to see her chased off the property. Is it hurting me? No. Therefore it's none of my business. Now, if she were dressed head to toe in Victorian widow's weeds and was making daily circuits of the barn tolling a bell and wailing like a bahn sidhe, I would probably have to say enough is enough, but who is it harming if she comes and sits by the horse's grave once in a while?

Yep, we're different behind the keyboard from when we're in the real world. (I'm nicer offline. Online is my therapy--if I didn't stop restraining myself somewhere I'd probably have a perforated ulcer by now.) But if you don't want people judging you in the 'real' world based on cyberworld, do a better job with your alias. And realize if everyone's interpreting what you write in one way, no matter what you INTENDED, the problem does not usually lie with them...
                Author Page
                Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

• Really 13 pages , atleast 200 posts of "I disagree" and I hate the poster. Group think is alive and well on this BB.

Comment

• Whew, I think I've found real life SY. I was beginning to doubt my googling skills.
                    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Comment

• Original Poster

Quoth the raven, Nevermore . . .

People, I've occasionally expressed an ill-advised, provocative or unpopular opinion on COTH, as people do every single day in print newspapers, TV, film scripts or political debates.

I have never said anything here that I would not say, have not said, or could not say in the company of my personal friends at a church supper. Nor have I defamed anyone personally (impossible, since we do not know each other) or posted anything that any law would define as hate speech. I just may have a little different take on life, death, and horses than you do. Everyone has the option to take it, leave it, hit the ignore button or read something else.

My few "offensive" posts, which long since scrolled off the board between 3 and 8 months ago, have been relentlessly necromanced here and trotted out again for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people who missed them then. Controversy which is nothing more than one stranger's opinion in a vast landfill of opinion. Every man has an opinion, and they're ultimately "worth" just about the same. In 50 years very few of us will be alive, so perhaps we should ALL spend our time more productively.

Approximately 3 of my almost 2,000 posts seem to have been terribly controversial; that's actually not a bad record for COTH. Have I hit some third rails? Obviously. Not being Internet-savvy, I was not aware that discussion of the range of opinions was a social taboo in this strange little online enclave. God help you, don't ever read The Daily Beast or Mother Jones!

13 pages of ad-hominem attacks over a minor anecdote a stranger wrote when feeling pissy, over an emotional kerfuffle affecting no one whom you actually even know? Really? Try following the "rules" of COTH civility you are so quick to burn me at the stake for breaking. You might want to read them since you have violated every single one.

There are a few people here who need to take a really hard look in the mirror before they start casting stones.

Don't worry about me coming back under "alters," I really have no further desire to return. I would just ask that if you are indeed all such sensitive, compassionate, understanding, mature and well-adjusted people, please cease to post personal attacks that are unworthy of you.

To any and all who have found my posts intolerable, I hope you will accept my sincere apologies.
                      Last edited by SwampYankee; Oct. 18, 2012, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donkerbruin View Post
                        Whew, I think I've found real life SY. I was beginning to doubt my googling skills.
                        Careful. Has anyone else seen the movie, "Catfish"? I keep thinking about that movie - anybody else?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1xp4M...%3D1xp4M0IjzcQ

It's a thought provoker -- and a bargain at $2.99

http://www.amazon.com/Catfish/dp/B00...ywords=catfish

Comment

• Really? Of all the things you could have chosen to say at this moment, including "I'm sorry," this is what you chose? And if you would have said everything you have said here in real life, then why delete posts and why choose now to conceal your identity? I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt and had hoped you would take some time to reflect on the damage you have caused to the feelings of real live people who are members of this forum. I guess not.

Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post
                          People, I've occasionally expressed an ill-advised, provocative or unpopular opinion on COTH, as people do every single day in print newspapers, TV, film scripts or political debates.

I have never said anything here that I would not say, have not said, or could not say in the company of my personal friends at a church supper. Nor have I defamed anyone personally (impossible, since we do not know each other) or posted anything that any law would define as hate speech. I just may have a little different take on life, death, and horses than you do. Everyone has the option to take it, leave it, hit the ignore button or read something else.

My few "offensive" posts, which long since scrolled off the board between 3 and 8 months ago, have been relentlessly necromanced here and trotted out again for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people who missed them then. Controversy which is nothing more than one stranger's opinion in a vast landfill of opinion. Every man has an opinion, and they're ultimately "worth" just about the same. In 50 years very few of us will be alive, so perhaps we should ALL spend our time more productively.

Approximately 3 of my almost 2,000 posts seem to have been terribly controversial; that's actually not a bad record for COTH. Have I hit some third rails? Obviously. Not being Internet-savvy, I was not aware that discussion of the range of opinions was a social taboo in this strange little online enclave. God help you, don't ever read The Daily Beast or Mother Jones!

13 pages of ad-hominem attacks over a minor anecdote someone wrote when feeling pissy, over an emotional kerfuffle affecting no one you actually even know? Really? Try following the "rules" of COTH civility you are so quick to burn me at the stake for breaking. You might want to read them since you have violated every single one.

There are a few people here who need to take a really hard look in the mirror before they start casting stones.

Enjoy your life.

Comment

• Originally posted by stolen virtue View Post
                            Really 13 pages , atleast 200 posts of "I disagree" and I hate the poster. Group think is alive and well on this BB.
                            Yeah. Geez, you guys! Y'all have more than 9K of my posts to dig up and "necromance," too. And I also have said some stuff about life, death and politics that someone somewhere will hate. Y'all scare me.

So Swamp Yankee is right: Cut out the ad hominem attacks. It's a dangerous game you play.

But Swampy, you can't argue that you'd "say anything online that you'd also say to someone's face at a church dinner" and then complain that people here are dissing someone they don't know. You are either extremely consistent or you are not.

I don't care if people are utterly whack on issues I take seriously. I do care if people-- who agree with me or absolutely don't-- get mean.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                              Really? Of all the things you could have chosen to say st this moment, including "I'm sorry," this is what you chose? And if you would have said everything you have saud here in real life, then why delete posts and why choose now to conceal your identity? I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt and had hoped you would take some time to reflect on the damage you have caused to the feelings of real live people who are members of this forum. I guess not.
                              FineAlready,

It is obvious to me that you are a heathen who does NOT attend church suppers. You might want to work on that.

ROFLMFAA

Comment

• I have to agree with Swamp Yankee here. Exactly who does SY owe and apology to? SY was not directing this thread to anyone on here. SY was venting like most of us do on here. If anyone has experienced the rath of Coth then you would know why posts were deleted and information removed. This forum is terrible for people jumping at the chance to make someone look like an idiot. So SY said something that offended a LOT of people. Put on your big girl panties and deal with it, and move on.
                                Derby Lyn Farms Website

Derby Lyn Farms on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by mvp View Post
                                  I do care if people-- who agree with me or absolutely don't-- get mean.
                                  Me too. Which is how this all started in the first place. SY's OP was incredibly mean. As have been a large number of her posts. I finally got tired of watching it, particularly since this latest was an attack on a grieving horse owner who just lost a longtime companion. Sorry, but calling someone in that situation a "moonbat" and her deceased horse an "ol' geezer" is way nasty and uncalled for. I won't say that I've never said anything I regret. I have. But SY doesn't seem to regret anything, or even care that she can and does hurt people with the things she says.

Comment

• Tip -
                                    Do not ask to bury your horse on the property of someone who tosses around the word "necromancer".

Comment

• Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                                      Me too. Which is how this all started in the first place. SY's OP was incredibly mean. As have been a large number of her posts. I finally got tired of watching it, particularly since this latest was an attack on a grieving horse owner who just lost a longtime companion. Sorry, but calling someone in that situation a "moonbat" and her deceased horse an "ol' geezer" is way nasty and uncalled for. I won't say that I've never said anything I regret. I have. But SY doesn't seem to regret anything, or even care that she can and does hurt people with the things she says.
                                      Do you really think it is nasty and uncalled for to call an old horse a geezer? Seriously? Why?
                                      "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

This forum is terrible for people jumping at the chance to make someone look like an idiot. So SY said something that offended a LOT of people. Put on your big girl panties and deal with it, and move on.
                                        ...and swamp yankee IS one of those people who is "jumping at the chance to make someone look like an idiot". That is exactly what she has done to this lady, by mocking her grief.

Do you excuse sy's behaviour because you think she is one of many? or do you think that the people here, who object to the hostility sy has towards others, are "jumping at the chance to make someone look like an idiot"?

If you believe the latter, then honestly, don't you think that sy has already done a spectacular job of "looking like an idiot" with no outside help whatsoever?

Some people need no help to achieve idiocy.

That said, the internet is new to many of us, however I would think that people would be more careful about what they write, not less.

I feel badly for sy. Internet BB's are not church suppers with your friends, much as you might like them to be, they just aren't.

You really have to own what you "say" here, and buck up and admit when you've "said" something stupid, just as you (hopefully) would in your everyday life.
                                        Last edited by skydy; Oct. 18, 2012, 06:34 AM. Reason: To Add..

Comment

• You really like to toss around the phrase 'ad hominem', while engaging in the exact same behavior to other people. Hypocrisy much?

Figured you'd be back with a 'goodbye cruel BB post', because it's all about YOU. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Swampy.
                                          Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

Working...
                                          X