• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

CA and Mexico slaughter houses no longer accepting U.S. horses?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goneriding24, I do get out in the world. Where there is a will there is a way has always been my motto. I am in the suburbs of Nashville----where are you? There are jobs here that folks will not take. Lots of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
      Anyone else feel like we have a visitor from beyond the grave?
      I was reading County's old posts this morning...

Comment

• Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
        The horses "stuck in the pipeline" all have owners (KB/Dealers/feedlot owners). Why is it everyone else's problem to bail them out of a business decision they made? If they want to GIVE the horses away, then I could see some rescues helping them do that, but I don't think they should be getting money or anything to care for or buy horses in their possession. Maybe they can ask Sue Wallis, et al to help pay for their business decision. And I think people (pro slaughter side especially) should make sure that they stay aware of any KB/dealers/feedlots that dump animals or neglect them, and stay on top of AC/police to prosecute the people that do that to the full extent of the law.
        I haven't seen dealers giving away their horses. So they must not be too worried or overwhelmed.
        The voice of reason!

Let's assume for a second this is ALL true and no US horses will be accepted anywhere. I've seen signs of people gearing up to help horses "stuck in the pipeline". Frankly since these horses would now be a liability the owners should be happy just to GIVE them away. Any rescue that falls for their blackmail prices now would be idiots. (SHHHHH) If horses end up selling for $10 at the auction then great, maybe they have a chance then to be bought by someone who is willing to train them and resell. It is hard for someone to do that on a budget when they have to outbid a KB (often with the help of the auction owner) and then put months or a year into it with all the feed, vet bills and training time to then sell it for the $500 or so trained grade horses might bring.

The KBs keep the prices for horses artificially high (when you are considering riding horses) because they set a bottom level price for any old horse regardless of it's age or training status. With that bottom gone now the TRUE bottom will be what it should be (for riding horses) $0. That takes away the net for these people who just breed and don't train and when they get tired of them ship them off to the sales.

I can see some horses still going to Mexico as there was a SMALL market for local horse meat there but I doubt they would make much money if they had to haul them for very far. Mexico slaughters about 600,000 of their own each year, nobody is going to pay much for (tainted) American horses. Prior to the EU plant opening there the Mexico sales were pretty small. I would forsee the current numbers going back to those levels if that, given the "tainted" meat stigma now attached.
        Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
          Bouver foods, I have been told, has around 15000 that are now at the six months.
          I think you mean Bouvry... who owns the s/h in Alberta and yes, in their previous advertising in France, I remember reading about the idyllic conditions where they raised their horses... "raised" was the word!! not... "fatten" the horses we buy at auctions!
          I remember a picture of a mare and foal in a huge green field...

Lies, lies, lies... the horses come up from the feedlot in Montana in Shelby... where there are no green fields, just huge mud lots..

and again, I'd like to know why Canadian horses would be accepted... same problems of traceability.

Comment

Actually they do have a test which should be ready by the end of November and it does appear to detect 100 per cent if Bute is in the meat. That is why Vets are doing it in conjunction with Health Canada.

The six month is a GREAT idea and that is why there are feedlots where the horses are kept and monitored for that period of time. And they are well fed. Bouver foods, I have been told, has around 15000 that are now at the six months.
            Appear being the key word. Do you have any idea of how long it will take to test meat from every single horse? Their profits will nose dive and it will never happen. They won’t even slow down the lines to stun the horses properly. If anything, they’ll do random testing and the meat won’t be any safer than it is today. The only way to detect metabolites is by testing kidney tissue. You can’t do that with a live horse. Vet records from 6 months of age is the only way to guarantee food safety.

Unless something big happened, if a test was going to be ready in November, there wouldn’t have been a shutdown on Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by FalseImpression View Post
              I think you mean Bouvry... who owns the s/h in Alberta and yes, in their previous advertising in France, I remember reading about the idyllic conditions where they raised their horses... "raised" was the word!! not... "fatten" the horses we buy at auctions!
              I remember a picture of a mare and foal in a huge green field...

Lies, lies, lies... the horses come up from the feedlot in Montana in Shelby... where there are no green fields, just huge mud lots..

and again, I'd like to know why Canadian horses would be accepted... same problems of traceability.
              You are correct about the spelling

They do have numerous feed lots. They do NOT breed horse so the word "raised" if used was referring to the finishing of the horses. The Bouvry plant is the one I volunteered at for two years.

They have several sections of land where the horses are placed and that is located at the slaughter plant. There is also the protected (wind and elements) feed lot for the feeder horses that must be slaughtered in 96 hours. There the horses are given free water, are grained/actually a prepared feed and given hay.

Have you been to the Montana feed lots? I have..on numerous occasions. During rain season they do have mud. There are no fields at the American feed lots.

The fields are as posted at Fort MacLeod.

Maybe a trip out west for once would enlighten you
              The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by vickitobin View Post
                Appear being the key word. Do you have any idea of how long it will take to test meat from every single horse? Their profits will nose dive and it will never happen. They won’t even slow down the lines to stun the horses properly. If anything, they’ll do random testing and the meat won’t be any safer than it is today. The only way to detect metabolites is by testing kidney tissue. You can’t do that with a live horse. Vet records from 6 months of age is the only way to guarantee food safety.

Unless something big happened, if a test was going to be ready in November, there wouldn’t have been a shutdown on Friday.
                No one seems to know exactly where the shutdown theory came from other than it was reported by the RARA group Animal Law Coalition and they made reference to a paper submitted in Spanish that does NOT say they are closing the plant. If you go to their website please check out the links they provide.

I have to ask. Do you know ANYTHING about the slaughter industry?

They do NOT speed up the kill to make up time. The meat is tested from CUTS after the animal is DEAD.

It is very obvious you know nothing about the development of the test so I won't bother to address that. The test, according to the Canadian Government Health and Welfare SHOULD be available around the end of November.

No further debate is necessary. You, like I, will have to wait and see how it all plays out

I would like to mention that the like from the EU provided does NOT mention Canada nor any equine products on the hoof brought into Canada.
                The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by FalseImpression View Post
                  FIVE hours between GB and New York City, SIX hours with France... Again, those numbers...
                  Give it a rest Falsie...
                  The Elephant in the room

Comment

Have you been to the Montana feed lots? I have..on numerous occasions. During rain season they do have mud. There are no fields at the American feed lots.
                    No I have not been but there have been many many accounts of the terrible state of the Shelby lots. Oh, but of course, it's RARA and rescues posting this. Not the knowledgeable FFx .
                    I can be against slaughter w/o being an animal right activist.
                    I just think it is a despicable way to get rid of animals you (general You, but then who knows...) don't want to take responsibility for.

and "raised" was in French as "Nous élevons nos chevaux" which makes it seem as they raise them from birth ... not just "fatten" which would be "nous les engraissons".

Comment

Give it a rest Falsie...
                      why? I have to point out when the Almighty is wrong!

Comment

No one seems to know exactly where the shutdown theory came from other than it was reported by the RARA group Animal Law Coalition and they made reference to a paper submitted in Spanish that does NOT say they are closing the plant. If you go to their website please check out the links they provide.

I have to ask. Do you know ANYTHING about the slaughter industry?

They do NOT speed up the kill to make up time. The meat is tested from CUTS after the animal is DEAD.

It is very obvious you know nothing about the development of the test so I won't bother to address that. The test, according to the Canadian Government Health and Welfare SHOULD be available around the end of November.

No further debate is necessary. You, like I, will have to wait and see how it all plays out

I would like to mention that the like from the EU provided does NOT mention Canada nor any equine products on the hoof brought into Canada.
                        Yes, no need to debate. The KBs, the auctions, Richelieu, and CFIA lied to us.

I never said anything about trying to make up time. They run them through as fast as they can and if they miss, oh well. Decades of footage have proven this over and over again.

Do you honestly think they’ll test meat from every horse? They only do random testing. It will be the same crap coming out of the plants now. Nothing will change.

So now in addition to “appear” you insert the word “should”. So what you’re saying is that you don’t really know if the test works or when it will be ready. You must be getting lessons from Wallis. Announcement after announcement. We’re still waiting for the 2009 Horse Act and the plant in MO that was supposed to be open last month. And the NM, TN, OK, WY, OR and MT plants. Oh, and let’s not forget her brilliant idea of a mobile slaughter facility.

And yes, I know about slaughter and what I didn’t know, I found out from a director of the former Natural Valley Meats in Canada. Remember, you’re government shut them down for the very reasons we oppose horse slaughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by vickitobin View Post
                          Yes, no need to debate. The KBs, the auctions, Richelieu, and CFIA lied to us.

I never said anything about trying to make up time. They run them through as fast as they can and if they miss, oh well. Decades of footage have proven this over and over again.

Do you honestly think they’ll test meat from every horse? They only do random testing. It will be the same crap coming out of the plants now. Nothing will change.

So now in addition to “appear” you insert the word “should”. So what you’re saying is that you don’t really know if the test works or when it will be ready. You must be getting lessons from Wallis. Announcement after announcement. We’re still waiting for the 2009 Horse Act and the plant in MO that was supposed to be open last month. And the NM, TN, OK, WY, OR and MT plants. Oh, and let’s not forget her brilliant idea of a mobile slaughter facility.

And yes, I know about slaughter and what I didn’t know, I found out from a director of the former Natural Valley Meats in Canada. Remember, you’re government shut them down for the very reasons we oppose horse slaughter.
                          I would like to point out to you that, as you can see, when someone was not doing things right, the system worked, they shut the plant, as they should.

Too bad that doesn't fit with what you want slaughter to be, all about not doing things properly, so you and other animal rights extremists have your current cause of the moment to get people to donate to, money that, after skimming from the top to make a good living for some, the rest then goes to lobbying to eventually eliminate all uses of animals.

Comment

• Any announcement about what New Holland is going to do today?

Comment

Sheila

Quit trying to misinform individuals. She was trying to establish a FEED CO-OP. I told her she needed start up money to purchase the feed and also trucking expenses and finally a central place to store it. Then individuals would purchase the feed at lower than the local costs were.

For some reason, she thought the feed would be donated and truckers would haul if for free.

She never said she was setting up a Feed Bank.

It never got off the ground. Period. She tried on facebook but WITH NO MONEY how could it.

But then, Sheila, I didn't notice you putting up any money for her venture.

Again...she was setting up a feed co-op and that is very different than a feed bank

Sadly the truth has never been your friend and neither have you ever put your money where you typing fingers go. I am sure we haven't heard from you for a while as you were looking for a new stable to put your horse in. Hope you found one you like.
                              Give it a rest, Leo. I think you have more than one person reading rolling on the floor in laughter. It is indeed a moment rich in irony when YOU, of all people, tell ANYONE else that the truth is not their friend.

Yes, thank you for asking, I did find a barn I liked. I don't have much experience barn hunting, but this one seems to have been completed with a minimum of stress for all concerned. Although I do find it a little on the scary side that once again you seem to be stalking me. Leo, you wouldn't do that? Would you? You wouldn't follow me around on a forum, searching out my posts? I think I will take a screen shot of your comment. It looks like you have an unhealthy interest in my life. Otherwise, why would you have any interest in what I post if it isn't something that you would respond to?

But then again, I am not the first woman you have been accused of having an unhealthy interest in on the internet, right? Have you ever turned your focus on a man? Or is it just the women who disagree with you that get you all...discombobulated?
                              Sheilah

Comment

• Originally posted by betonbill View Post
                                Any announcement about what New Holland is going to do today?
                                No official announcement(s) that I know of, but here is a short video and photos of the NH auction barn from last night. It's nearly empty when it would normally be full:
                                http://www.equinewelfarealliance.org...toppage_3.html
                                Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

You are correct about the spelling

They do have numerous feed lots. They do NOT breed horse so the word "raised" if used was referring to the finishing of the horses. The Bouvry plant is the one I volunteered at for two years.
                                  You volunteered at a slaughter plant feed lot?

Odd. Who does that?

Comment

• Originally posted by IdahoRider View Post
                                    Give it a rest, Leo. I think you have more than one person reading rolling on the floor in laughter. It is indeed a moment rich in irony when YOU, of all people, tell ANYONE else that the truth is not their friend.

Yes, thank you for asking, I did find a barn I liked. I don't have much experience barn hunting, but this one seems to have been completed with a minimum of stress for all concerned. Although I do find it a little on the scary side that once again you seem to be stalking me. Leo, you wouldn't do that? Would you? You wouldn't follow me around on a forum, searching out my posts? I think I will take a screen shot of your comment. It looks like you have an unhealthy interest in my life. Otherwise, why would you have any interest in what I post if it isn't something that you would respond to?

But then again, I am not the first woman you have been accused of having an unhealthy interest in on the internet, right? Have you ever turned your focus on a man? Or is it just the women who disagree with you that get you all...discombobulated?
                                    Sheilah
                                    You may ought to consider taking that to the Moderators, as if he is stalking you, they will want to know.
                                    Then, your post there is not that nice, if not right down insulting.
                                    That last paragraph is even so below the belt and even accusatory in a way you better think again if that is the kind of personal attack you really want to post.

When some attack me, I can ignore it.
                                    When some go overboard dumping on others, no matter who they are, well, that just doesn't seem right, especially when there is many against one.
                                    Very poor sport that.

Comment

• Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
                                      You volunteered at a slaughter plant feed lot?

Odd. Who does that?
                                      People who want to make sure things are according to regulations without having an official capacity, Like USDA inspector.

Sure helps in having a first hand account, vs past down stories from the internet.

But I get it.
                                      Slaughter is ick.
                                      So we leave it to others to do it.
                                      And then we complain when it's not done to our standards.
                                      But we are not there to enforce them, oversee them, after all, it's ick.

Comment

• Originally posted by IdahoRider View Post

Sheilah
                                        There you go again. Stalking? How does one stalk when you posted on a thread here on COTH that you were having to leave your barn and you were looking for a new one. I read many of the threads....guess you think I should stop if you are involved.

Truth..and yet..you fail to correct and clearly state that Carol was trying to establish a FOOD CO-OP. She clarrified many times it was NOT a food bank.

Isn't it amazing Sheila. You, Carol and a couple of your friends, one who posted my name, address and phone number on the interet implying that I should be "fair game" all have stated that I have for some reason stalked you. I guess I makes you feel wanted but as I have stated...I would think that one would have to be on high speed instead of dial up.

When Carol bragged about her involvement in bringing DOWN one of the top Arab breeders and you supported her throughout the whole campaign and NEITHER of you ever called her to ask it you could help, if she needed any help..but just blindly went on the school yard pile on...well..your head should still be hanging in shame.

The lawsuits that have started with the first serving of TORT will start in 2013. I understand they will be both specific and broadspectrum. There will be many individuals who will receive notification as it progresses.

Sheila..when I error, I immediately correct upon discovery. To error is human. I do not see you correcting yourself regarding the FB thread about the Feed co-op and not a feed bank.

Duly noted...this just lets others see why you continue to come after my posts but hey...as pius one horse owner who attempts to sit in judgement of everyone else...guess you are angry that I do not bow to your false god
                                        The Elephant in the room

Comment

The lawsuits that have started with the first serving of TORT will start in 2013. I understand they will be both specific and broadspectrum. There will be many individuals who will receive notification as it progresses.
                                          If this ends up anything like the infamous Press Release from Dr Henneke about how his BCS was being abused and misused and everyone should stop using it NOW... well I guess these people being threatened with a lawsuit don't have to sweat much.
                                          Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

Working...
                                          X