• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

First time actually buying -- frustrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with choosing very minimal criteria and trying every horse that meets them...like 14-16hh, 7-15 years old, and $xxxx and that's it. Don't try to replace your old horse, and try everything. I found my horse by word of mouth, and I don't know if I would have looked twice at him in an ad. He was primarily Western trained (former ranch horse), not much to look at, especially in his winter coat, but I went to look because he fit my minimum criteria...and I found an absolute gem. He was beautifully responsive to the aids, quiet, and willing. And cute. Really, really cute. He had no dressage training and didn't know how to use his back-his go-to resistance when he's nervous is to hollow out big time. He's not fancy enough for rated dressage or hunter shows, but he cleans up locally in hunter pleasure and I've won Western pattern classes on him as well and he's gotten some respectable dressage scores. He has made me look at horse shopping differently because if I'd seen an ad for him, I probably wouldn't have bothered...what a mistake that would have been!

Do you ride with a trainer? Ask him or her to ask around their connections and see what's available, and go look at everything, no matter where it's advertised or what it looks like in the photos (or hen you get there as long as it's sound). Ask any horsey friends to keep an ear out as well...sometimes the best horses aren't advertised.

ETA: 15 would not be a deal breaker for me if everything else was as you had hoped. With proper care, you could easily have ten years or more with a horse that's 15 for what you want to do.

Comment

Here is one to think about

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...257568656.html
      Originally posted by The Saddle
      Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

Hi, OP,

I don't know how feasible it is for you to search in Abbotsford but there is an ad for a 7 y.o. Morab gelding named Tommy at Circle F Horse Rescue. He's 14.2 hh and the adoption fee is $800.00.

There's lots of pics, a video and an in-depth write up about him. He sounds just darling. I wish that I could have him for myself.

http://www.circlef.ca/tommy.htm

Comment

Originally posted by normandy_shores View Post
          I had been in touch with a local sport pony breeder, and they had a few they suggested I come out and try. I showed up and tried a morgan mare they hadn't even thought of or mentioned to me prior... this was a pleasant surprise as I LOVE morgans! She was chewing on the bit and foaming at the mouth after the second lap with the owner. I had a pleasant ride on her and she is apparently great on the trails. However, she's 15, which is 3 or 4 years older than I was really hoping to look at.

Then I got to see the other young mare go. I think she was 5, half connemara, 15h and very pretty. Sensitive, good disposition, and the trainer made her look lovely. I was given the impression she was either happy with you or not and you need kind quiet hands and so when I got on, I just rode forward with a very soft hand and didn't ask for much, until about halfway through where I got her attention a bit better. She had lovely gaits, and while she's green, she's got a nice foundation and I could see us coming along together.

But -- she's well outside the budget I had mentioned I was looking at. As far as my riding, they said I was being too hard on myself, that she looked lovely, and that I should come back with eyes on the ground (everyone else is at a show this weekend) and that their trainer would give me a mini lesson. It would be a week or so before I could back out there anyhow.

I try another mare tomorrow, and my BO's event horse (who had been away on free lease) on Tuesday. I'm quite hopeful about him, as he fits the bill besides not being higher maintenance. I was really hoping for a hardy easy keeper pony with good feet, not TB or part TB needing shoeing all around and groceries! The BO's horse isn't particularly high maintenance, I'm just gun shy about TBs and the potential for being very breakable (mine was), but I know all horses can be.

So we'll see. I'll try these next two, and see how they go. Perhaps I'll get back in touch with the owner from today and mention my situation, saying I liked her, see the potential, but that I don't want to waste her time and I simply can't spend that much, but that if she honestly felt we were a good match, wants to sell and wants to know the horse is going to a great home, maybe we could work something out.

But again, I've got a few more well schooled prospects on the horizon
          IMO, 3-4 years older than ideal isn't that bad. Morgans are notoriously hardy individuals, and if she's 15 and low maintenance, then I would *seriously* consider her, especially if you had a good ride. Maybe sit on her again and go for a short trail ride if allowed.

Good luck with the next two, and good luck in general!!
          runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

Originally posted by runNjump86 View Post
            IMO, 3-4 years older than ideal isn't that bad. Morgans are notoriously hardy individuals, and if she's 15 and low maintenance, then I would *seriously* consider her, especially if you had a good ride. Maybe sit on her again and go for a short trail ride if allowed.

Good luck with the next two, and good luck in general!!
            I was thinking the same thing!

If these others do not work out, I would go try the Morgan mare again. You may fall in love or realize she is not the one. She sounds worth a second look.

Good luck in your search!

ETA:
            Originally posted by BeckyS View Post
            I kind of hope, after nearly four years, that the OP found a horse that met her criteria.
            LMFAO, I checked the date of the post above mine, but I should have looked a little harder!
            Last edited by TheHotSensitiveType; Aug. 18, 2016, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I kind of hope, after nearly four years, that the OP found a horse that met her criteria.

Comment

Just go out and look at hundreds of horses. That's what I've sometimes done. Multiple states, multiple prices, everyone calling me and telling me what to buy. Just go out there and do it and don't think so much about the issues. When you find the right horse(s), you will know and will buy. Do not overthink it as I sometimes found myself doing.

I did take an expert with me and did listen to the advice of other experts. But I did make my own decisions.

Comment

MTE

Comment

HAHAHAHHA!!! How in the heck did the thread even show up then?! I promise I didn't go digging or search for anything!!

*makes mental note to always check dates before posting replies*
                    runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

I do wonder how it turned out?

Comment

This is a zombie thread but I am looking for the same type of horse and I believe I've found her in the barn's lesson program. She's not trained dressage, but she can jump, is trail safe, and smart. She knows the basics and I can finish her through First which is all I need. The moral is, don't overlook the diamond in the rough.
                        Proud member of Appendix QH clique

Comment

Originally posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
                          I agree with choosing very minimal criteria and trying every horse that meets them...like 14-16hh, 7-15 years old, and $xxxx and that's it. .
                          The best horse we ever had met none of criteria absolutely none, I bought her because of the way she looked at us ....and she never ever did the specific task we were wanting to do .... but did everything else at such a highly competitive ability that she had may people wanting her

We learned a lot together

Comment

is it worth a long-distance haul?

I know it would add to your budget, but maybe it's worth haunting the sales sites for a different region where dressage is much more prevalent. Keep your radius to where shipping would be $800 or so, and line up a bunch of horses where you could fly in and try them all in a 2-3 day timespan. Or, hook up with a trainer in one of these areas who does consignment. Show them some vids of you riding so they have a sense of where you're at, so they could suggest good potential matches.

I totally get that it feels different and probably scary when it's entirely on you to CHOOSE a horse vs making it work with the one that fell into your lap. Just remind yourself how successful you've been with making it work with those other horses, and the love you developed for them. They weren't perfect, but they became what you needed, and vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                            X