• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How have you funded a horse? Small Update!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be the downer here. If your husband and you are working on being debt free in 2.5 years, then going into more debt to both buy a horse and then of course to maintain it for the next few years is counter-intuitive.

What about using the half that you have now to help pay down the debt you are trying to get rid of and then waiting until you are debt free before you look for another horse.

Comment

Originally posted by OveroHunter View Post
      I'll second that debt may not be a horrible idea. Here's a basic lesson from getting my Series 7 and Series 66 financial advisor licenses:

I have $1000 to either invest or buy a couch, but at the end of the day I have to have a couch. If I invest it I get 6% and if I buy the couch, I get the couch and that's it. Now say I can get the couch for $0 down and 1% financing for 1 year from the store. If I invest the money and buy the couch on loan I will have $1060 at the end of the year, and I will owe $1010. I come out $50 ahead! Had I just bought the couch I would have broke even.

Now it's hard to say what your rate would be on your horse and he may not even be an investment, but your happiness is definitely an investment. You can't exactly quantify it, but you do need to take it into account.

ETA: Another thing to consider is that I hated being a Financial Advisor and barely lasted 6 months before I quit to become an analyst
      Of course you could invest $800 of the $1000 and get 6% and then use the remaining $200 to buy a perfectly serviceable couch from craigslist.

Your argument is flawed however if you apply it to a living animal. So, the OP might have $1000 that she could (unlikely) invest at 6% however could very likely use to downpay and existing debt, which could be at 6%. If she uses that $1000 to pay down debt that she has at 6% then she saves $60 by the end of the year. However, if she uses it to buy a horse, who she then has to board, pay vets bills on etc you could conservatively estimate that she spends $2500 (assuming she keeps at home etc) in a year.

So the difference is not your couch analogy of being $50 better off, but in fact my analysis of being $60 better off vs $2500 worse off - therefore $2,440 worse off.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate66 View Post
        Of course you could invest $800 of the $1000 and get 6% and then use the remaining $200 to buy a perfectly serviceable couch from craigslist.

Your argument is flawed however if you apply it to a living animal. So, the OP might have $1000 that she could (unlikely) invest at 6% however could very likely use to downpay and existing debt, which could be at 6%. If she uses that $1000 to pay down debt that she has at 6% then she saves $60 by the end of the year. However, if she uses it to buy a horse, who she then has to board, pay vets bills on etc you could conservatively estimate that she spends $2500 (assuming she keeps at home etc) in a year.

So the difference is not your couch analogy of being $50 better off, but in fact my analysis of being $60 better off vs $2500 worse off - therefore $2,440 worse off.
        I was thinking just that, a couch won't be eating and needing vet care thru the year like a horse will.

In reality, owning a horse is a very big luxury for anyone.

How about spending some money in getting riding lessons while your horse heals?

That would also be one option and that should not be too hard on any budget.

Comment

I would never buy a horse that I didn't have the cash for. The second you bring it home, it's going to put a leg through the fence and cost you thousands in vet bills. Especially if you are in credit card debt already.

Comment

So, the owner isn't in sell mode ... and the horse has been all over the country ... and you have been riding him.

Approach the owner for a lease with option to buy, later.

You could do a paid lease, with the payments to be put toward the purchase price, even, or something creative like that.

But, if you could offer this person a good home for the horse, with no board or training payments, I think they might be interested, especially over the winter.

Call it an extended trial, if you will. Get him insured, though.

Comment

Originally posted by morganpony86 View Post
              I would never buy a horse that I didn't have the cash for. The second you bring it home, it's going to put a leg through the fence and cost you thousands in vet bills. Especially if you are in credit card debt already.
              But, she's paying off all the debt, ergo she will have money so then in theory, because she can afford the vet bills the horse will remain unscathed. Isn't that how it works? (I don't know because with $50,000+ in student loans, I won't be debt free until I die.)

Comment

Have you tried bargaining? From the seller's point of view, cash in pocket now is better than potential more cash in the future. Besides, the longer the owner is paying for the training and boarding of this horse, the less net profit she will get with the same amount of price.

I once purchased a $30,000 horse for $13,000. That was all I could afford, but I had cash in my hand ready to hand over if they accepted my offer, which made it much harder for them to reject it. They had to sell, and like I said, the longer the waited, the less money they would end up getting, so they accepted it. This does not happen every day, but I would not hesitate to bargain so the final price is more toward your budget. And honestly, you may have to extend your 2 year debt free plan to say 3 years or more....

Also, unless the owner will absolute not compromise on the sell price, I will not ask for lease just yet. And here is why: assuming you really want to own this horse, the moment you offer to lease him, they no longer have the pain of paying for boarding and training, which goes against your best interest because they now have one less incentive to sell him.

Comment

If you've been riding the horse for a couple of years, have a good relationship with the owner or your trainer does, and have a sizeable down payment like you do, I'd negotiate with the owner about the price and a payment plan. Since you know the horse so well and they know you have the means to take care of it and really seem to like it, maybe they will work with you to get the horse into a nice home.
                  *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

ditto the ones who say you could probably work out some kind of bargain that is favorable to both parties.

Lease to own is always an option, as is trying to talk them down a bit to meet somewhere in the middle.

I think options like these would work out well in your favor because you've already been riding the horse and its been going very well (if the owner is concerned about horse going to a good home) and your trainer sounds like they have a relationship with the seller.

Good luck! I agree though, if its meant to happen, it will happen

Comment

• Original Poster

I just wanted to update because I feel like I am getting to closer to being able to purchase him! I have been saving and have acquired quite a bit towards his purchase. My sneaky trainer, sent a picture of me and the horse to the owner and explained my situation. Trainer will give up commision if I purchase the horse since I will continue to train with her and she would be able to show him some. The owner really wants me to have him, has come off the price some and offered to take him off the market until I can pay for him! I told trainer not to since nobody is really asking about him but I may be prepared to offer for him after the first of the year! SQUEAL!!!!

Comment

That sounds great! There are bargains to be had out there, for sure. Hope it all works out for you...and the horse...and the sellers. Win/win/win.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well I have been working my tail off and should have enough for him by February! However, my trainer has become very worried about his hocks so we are vetting him Tuesday. If he checks out ok, I will continue to plan on purchasing him. If he has major issues, I will keep looking. Fingers corssed!!!

Comment

Good for you!! I hope his hocks are a non-issue and you get to enjoy many years with your new horse.

After reading thru your thread I was going to suggest that you talk to both your trainer and the owner and make an offer. I tried a horse about 5 years ago that was out of my price range but I didn't know that when they suggested I try him.
                            Of course he was one of those horses you immediately feel right at home on and was very disappointed that he was more than I had to spend. When I mentioned to my trainer a couple of weeks later (still looking for a new horse) he said I should of made an offer.
                            Long story short, bought another horse but this horse always haunted me.

Follow your heart if you can make it work.
                            "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

Comment

This is great news! Im glad things are working out.

Comment

• Original Poster

He passed the vet check!!! WHOO HOO!!!! I think he will be mine as soon as my taxes come in! YAY!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X