• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Gaited Folks check in!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No TWH is encouraged with 'gaited dressage' to perform a running walk on a 10m circle.
    Or a 15.
    Or a 20.

So no one does it. No test asks for it. The tests that DO ask for a running walk only ask for it on a long diagonal.

You know, a straight line. ----------------------------------.

No bend, no arc, no messing with the trueness of an arrow straight! walk stride.

Never.

Ever.

I warm up my naturally shorter-strided, not super-deep, kinda tense, overthinking TWH with some shoulder in, some haunches in...at a MEDIUM WALK. Occasionally we flat walk and do some of it. We leg yield at a flat walk, too- which encourages him to stretch through the ribs and articulate those hind legs independent of the same-side forelegs. Why do I care about that? Because he's step pacey by nature and by doing this consistently, he has IMPROVED his flat walk and his running walk. A lot. I've owned this horse for 6 years. His gaits now are better than they have ever been. You can think I'm wrong headed/ill advised/full of **** all day long. It really won't matter, since the proof is in the horse.

"If the theory says one way, and your horse reacts another way, the theory is wrong and your horse is right. Perhaps, on second thought, you will find that the theory was somewhat right, but needed to be interpreted -adapted- to your horse."

Hurley, I have no idea when or where i peed in your Cheerios, but I meant nothing but fun in my post. (LOTS OF SMILES INSERTED HERE)
    Last edited by katarine; Oct. 3, 2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I do dressage with my RM. HOWEVER, it must all be in a 4 beat gait. Also I have no desire to canter her, and won't teach her. She can turn on a dime, has turbo boosters like no other. Also she has the longest skid marks of any horse I have had. Holy horse wings! It has to do with her conformation, low hocks, nice croup set. She can really use her hind end well. I have made a point with her to not just do a straight line like many gaited. I wanted her really light on the aids, and she is. She has alot of forward, and can have her spicy moments under saddle.

I have watched Katarine's dressage video's. Really nice.

These are fun horses to ride. I am enjoying not trotting down the trails for endurance any more.

Some friends of mine are doing speed rackers. OMG, and yes, they are in gait. Love to watch them go. But, I do not want to do that with my gaited horse.

I have no desire to go fast, or be competitive again in the ring. Been there done that, my body can't handle it any more.

Gaited is fun. But apparently not for all. Fine by me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
        This is exactly what USDF said when they declined to enter the world of "Gaited Dressage."

"Dressage" as a destination is, for me, an ultimate exercise in boredom. But "dressage" as a method of making my horse better is an Excellent Idea. It was also considered an excellent idea in the 18th Century. I have no desire to master the fine points of the works of long dead, European, white guys. I can get what I need from the texts from Ft. Riley or from reading the likes of Henry or d'Endrody*, as supplemented by the practical experiences of application. If others choose a different road, then God Bless 'Em.

In horses breeding counts. There's a reason the high levels of competition Dressage are dominated by warmbloods and you'll narry see an Iberian horse. There's a reason that barrel racing is dominated by QHs. Ditto for cow work. And Cowboy Mounted Shooting. There's a reason TBs dominate in flat racing. This does not mean that other breeds can't participate to some extent in these disciplines, but the rules are such that a specialty horse will whip the non-specialty horse across the board. While this truth is a bit less so in an event judged by a stop watch or yardstick it's absolutely true in the "judged" activities where a human applies a written standard to an equine performance and applies a grade base upon "how well" they conform to that standard.

Good horsemanship is good horsemanship. It is not dependent upon the shape of a saddle or the way of going of the horse.

Good horsemanship also means the rider is smart enough to choose a horse appropriate to the task at hand.

G.

*Note that these references in fact contain a large amount of the work of Baucher and others. But this earlier work is not pursued for its own sake but rather as a way to get someplace else. The work of Baucher is less a destination than a road. A French general observed that he wanted a war horse that would move forward, not go capriolling about the battlefield on three legs.
        So very true. And for me, "dressage," specifically that of the French masters, is a means to an end, nothing more. That "end" being a horse I can take anywhere and ask to do damn near anything, alone or in company. Dressage competition is a whole other enchilada, and one I would never entertain with my gaited horse or any other at this point. The exercise of attempting to force a horse to become a piece of precision machinery ceased to interest me long ago. Regrettably, the same thing has happened to the hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post
          So very true. And for me, "dressage," specifically that of the French masters, is a means to an end, nothing more. That "end" being a horse I can take anywhere and ask to do damn near anything, alone or in company. Dressage competition is a whole other enchilada, and one I would never entertain with my gaited horse or any other at this point. The exercise of attempting to force a horse to become a piece of precision machinery ceased to interest me long ago. Regrettably, the same thing has happened to the hunters.

I LOVE this post!!!

Specially the highlighted part.

This interest in "French" and discussions of balance and timing is just a better ride/rider effort. Not so much a ribbon in a ring.

And Katarine - the quote you bolded was not intended as a comment at you. The bolded quote below is Racinet's concluding thoughts and the end of the book Swamp recommended in her French thread.

"If the theory says one way, and your horse reacts another way, the theory is wrong and your horse is right. Perhaps, on second thought, you will find that the theory was somewhat right, but needed to be interpreted -adapted- to your horse."

What caught my ear in Swamp's post was something Racinet suggests which is arching the back (tips the pelvis forward) & if the legs are open this pelvic position can induce the horse to collect. But on my horse, if I arch my back and tip the pelvis forward he will ventro flex away from the pressure. So the first part of the above Racinet quote applies. Then again it might just be in my case that I also bring a thigh pressure which causes him to drop his back down. And this would cause the second part of Racinet's quote to apply.

SO from reading Swamp's description of her ride - it prompted me to comment and bring my Racinet readings into the discussion. And maybe some good milk for the Cherios.
          from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

I did not take it as a comment at me, not at all. It illustrates my point as it did yours. No worries. I was not addressing you at all when I quoted it again. Please accept my apologies for being unclear in who I was addressing by posting it again. I was not addressing you. Regarding that quote- you didn't cross my mind.

Anyone who says basic dressage schooling, meaning walking in shoulder fore, shoulder in, and haunches in, is unnatural or bad or wrong for TWHs (Bluey and Guilerme- not you, I'm not addressing you) is just plain old wrong. A medium walk is a medium walk, regardless of what the horse's paper's say. A canter is a canter- work it, make it stronger and better. Hell, missing out on dressage type work in a medium walk, slow flat walk, and canter just b/c the paperwork - their 'theory'...says Thou Shall Not Teach this Horse Lateral Flexibility- well, that's a pity. And my horse is PROOF that it is good for them.

I was addressing their ignorance. I was not addressing you other than to say, I don't know when I offended you. Moving on...

It's great that you are enjoying the French Thread. I rode with Ray Hunt back in 2000, when he was still around and doing 4 days clinics for 400 bucks. While he didn't speak French- the theories are all about the same. Reward the slightest try. Ride a plan. Feel. True horsemanship through feel was his book with Leslie Diamond? Desmond? Might be one you'd enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
              I did not take it as a comment at me, not at all. It illustrates my point as it did yours. No worries. I was not addressing you at all when I quoted it again. Please accept my apologies for being unclear in who I was addressing by posting it again. I was not addressing you. Regarding that quote- you didn't cross my mind.

Anyone who says basic dressage schooling, meaning walking in shoulder fore, shoulder in, and haunches in, is unnatural or bad or wrong for TWHs (Bluey and Guilerme- not you, I'm not addressing you) is just plain old wrong. A medium walk is a medium walk, regardless of what the horse's paper's say. A canter is a canter- work it, make it stronger and better. Hell, missing out on dressage type work in a medium walk, slow flat walk, and canter just b/c the paperwork - their 'theory'...says Thou Shall Not Teach this Horse Lateral Flexibility- well, that's a pity. And my horse is PROOF that it is good for them.

I was addressing their ignorance. I was not addressing you other than to say, I don't know when I offended you. Moving on...
              "Boo" ?

And I agree it is silly that folks think French school is only for warm bloods. It is for all horses and riders. No dues need be paid to learn and move on.

I totally agree.

And though I did not cross your mind, somehow you addressed me and connected me to beakfast. LOL.
              from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

Leslie co authored with Bill Dorrence. She also rode with Ray - whom she says was merciless with her.

Comment

Originally posted by hurleycane View Post
                  "Boo" ?

And I agree it is silly that folks think French school is only for warm bloods. It is for all horses and riders. No dues need be paid to learn and move on.

I totally agree.

And though I did not cross your mind, somehow you addressed me and connected me to beakfast. LOL.
                  NOTE TO HURLEY
                  TOPIC: POST #41

From the beginning of post# 41 allllll the way to the bolded quote I repeated ....
                  ..I was addressing Bluey and G.

I borrowed your quote b/c it fit my purposes.

THEN...I remembered you sounded cross with me. Then...I addressed you by name. My comment to you had NOTHING to do with the rest of that post. NOTHING.

That should clear it up. One would think.

Comment

Katarine - Oh, I am sure everyone understands you now - Southern or not.

Comment

NOTE TO HURLEY
                      TOPIC: POST #41

From the beginning of post# 41 allllll the way to the bolded quote I repeated ....
                      ..I was addressing Bluey and G.

I borrowed your quote b/c it fit my purposes.

THEN...I remembered you sounded cross with me. Then...I addressed you by name. My comment to you had NOTHING to do with the rest of that post. NOTHING.

That should clear it up. One would think.
                      Have I committed some "sins," here, or demonstrated "ignorance?" If so, how? Post no. 41 is incomprehensible as some sort of a demonstration of what I believe or don't believe.

If I've misinterpreted your comments I apologize. If I've not then "ante up" and explain yourself clearly and consistently.

G.
                      Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Bluey: While very interesting to get gaited horses to ride like non-gaited horses are expected to perform, well, they just are gaited, that's the way they are and why make their world more difficult asking them to do what they are not really made for? …

While the standards of dressage training can be applied to all horses to improve their way of going, to perform, unless we change the basic standards of what dressage expects in movement, a gaited horse just won't measure up to those while gaiting, other than in gaited specific competition, or will they?

Bluey- define measuring up. My horse and I have earned more High Point ribbons at dressage schooling shows than I can remember - this weekend earning a 65 and some change at First One. My gaited horse's medium and free walks are better than lots of trotting horses. So is his canter. It just is. If that means we measure up, great. If the answer is 'well those are just schooling shows'- well, I don't think his ability to eat lollypops off the stick without batting an eye would do much by way of answering your concern.

The NWHA tests ask for a flat walk instead of a trot.
                        Where a trot is lengthened, they ask for a running walk.
                        Medium walk=medium walk
                        Canter=canter.

So, since the rest of dressage is about movements, YES, the core principles can apply across all horses. Even those that 'just are gaited'. Is my horse, or any TWH, somehow disabled from performing a leg yield in a medium walk? Or a modest flat walk? If so, you'll have to explain that and the biomechanics of why working at a medium walk, modest flat walk, and a canter in low level dressage maneuvers is bad. It's not like his legs grow out of his forehead. He's just a horse. And again, the only time the extension into running walk is asked for is on a straight line. Frankly, we don't ask trotting horses to extend on a 10m circle either, while we're talking about it.

My educated response, given that of the three of us, I'm the only one who has actually done this thing one apparently should not do because it is too hard or would be bad horsemanship to do:

Guys:

No TWH is encouraged with 'gaited dressage' to perform a running walk on a 10m circle.
                        Or a 15.
                        Or a 20.

So no one does it. No test asks for it. The tests that DO ask for a running walk only ask for it on a long diagonal.

No bend, no arc, no messing with the trueness of an arrow straight--------> walk stride.

Never.

Ever.

I warm up my naturally shorter-strided, not super-deep, kinda tense, overthinking TWH with some shoulder in, some haunches in...at a MEDIUM WALK. Occasionally we flat walk and do some of the above, too...(HORRORS) which encourages him to stretch through the ribs and articulate those hind legs independent of the same-side forelegs. Why do I care about that? Because he's step pacey by nature and by doing this consistently, he has IMPROVED his flat walk and his running walk. A lot. I've owned this horse for 6 years. His gaits now are better than they have ever been. You can think I'm wrong headed/ill advised/full of **** all day long. It really won't matter, since the proof is in the horse.

-------

Over and over, G, you have told this board that this sort of work (dressage with a big or little D) cannot be done or should not be done. You've never said exactly why. Now you are suggesting:

Guillerme: Good horsemanship is good horsemanship. It is not dependent upon the shape of a saddle or the way of going of the horse.

Good horsemanship also means the rider is smart enough to choose a horse appropriate to the task at hand.

G, I have done the work, I have seen the physical improvements, as well as the mental improvements, in my horse. I refuse to accept your blanket "Just Say No". I think it is rooted in well intended/good hearted ignorance of what we actually ask these horses to do. You don't know any better. If you do, well, ante up and tell me exactly how which movements at which gaits are detrimental to the gaited horse. And how.

I know how it helps. You're going to have to define how it hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by hurleycane View Post
                          Leslie co authored with Bill Dorrence. She also rode with Ray - whom she says was merciless with her.
                          It's Dorrance if anyone's looking for the book. Thank you for the correction, I knew better and forgot.

http://www.billdorrance.com/

Comment

Guys:

Or a 15.
                            Or a 20.

No bend, no arc, no messing with the trueness of an arrow straight--------> walk stride.

Never.

Ever.
                            That being said, I was once at a horse show and watched a trainer schooling a young five gaited horse at the slow gait in one of the most lovely, relaxed symetrical serpentines I've ever seen. Seeing as how at the time I had a raucous gaited horse I was having trouble staying with on a straight line I was flat out amazed. It was impressive.
                            ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Over and over, G, you have told this board that this sort of work (dressage with a big or little D) cannot be done or should not be done. You've never said exactly why. Now you are suggesting:

Guillerme: Good horsemanship is good horsemanship. It is not dependent upon the shape of a saddle or the way of going of the horse.

G, I have done the work, I have seen the physical improvements, as well as the mental improvements, in my horse. I refuse to accept your blanket "Just Say No". I think it is rooted in well intended/good hearted ignorance of what we actually ask these horses to do. You don't know any better. If you do, well, ante up and tell me exactly how which movements at which gaits are detrimental to the gaited horse. And how.

I know how it helps. You're going to have to define how it hurts.
                              In fact I have VERY specifically said why Dressage is not a gaited horse discipline. Why? Because Dressage requires a horse to trot. USDF says so; FEI says so; I don't know of any Dressage organization that says otherwise. If I'm in error then please correct me. If not then quit calling me "ignorant" because I've spent time reading the rules of these organizations!!!!!

And I've said, ad nauseum, that dressage can be a Very Good Idea for gaited horses. I've cited documentation for this as early 1745. Again, if I'm wrong I'll accept correction. If not, then back off on the "ignorance" comments.

While we're at it, why can't your horse do a 20 meter circle? Why must a running walk always be done in an "arrow straight line?" When we had Walkers we did lots of 20m circles. And at 15m and 10m. In gait. Without overstressing the horse or in any way adversely affecting the gait. Why the dreadful fear of this sort of movement???

To summarize, once again, Dressage is a formal discipline with formal rules that requires a horse to trot. With dressage you have a set of formalized instructions that are designed to teach certain movements. There IS overlap; but they are two different things.

Know it; believe it; live it!!!!!

G.

Comment

Define dressage.
                                Dressage as a discipline has very clear rules, three pure gaits one important, basic one.

By definition, gaited horses have more and/or less gaits than the three gaits defined as basic to dressage and some of that different "gaitness" at times is antagonistic to three pure gaits, as required for dressage.

Dressage as a training scale to get your horse to be more or do xyz also depends on three gaits, that the training works to get and keep as pure as possible.

BUT, as Guilherme stated, parts of dressage training can and are applicable and applied to gaited horses just fine, but not the part that requires three very specific gaits as per the rules.

Now, gaited dressage, western dressage, that is changing the definitions to incorporate other than what is basic to dressage and that is fine also.

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                                  In fact I have VERY specifically said why Dressage is not a gaited horse discipline. Why? Because Dressage requires a horse to trot. USDF says so; FEI says so; I don't know of any Dressage organization that says otherwise. If I'm in error then please correct me. If not then quit calling me "ignorant" because I've spent time reading the rules of these organizations!!!!!

For the purposes of this discussion we're talking about dressage. The above is obvious.

And I've said, ad nauseum, that dressage can be a Very Good Idea for gaited horses. I've cited documentation for this as early 1745. Again, if I'm wrong I'll accept correction. If not, then back off on the "ignorance" comments.

While we're at it, why can't your horse do a 20 meter circle? Why must a running walk always be done in an "arrow straight line?"
                                  Simple-they need more neutrality in their back to gait bigger than a flat walk. To accurately ride a proper and balanced 15 or 10m circle- they need to slow down and round up, in varying degrees. You do realize the Dressage test don't ask trotting horses to perform an extended trot on a 10m circle, right? Ever wonder why? That's why.

When we had Walkers we did lots of 20m circles. And at 15m and 10m. In gait. Without overstressing the horse or in any way adversely affecting the gait. Why the dreadful fear of this sort of movement???

I'm not afraid of it, don't put words in my mouth. I don't believe for one minute that a horse this 'big moving' can navigate a 10m circle at a running walk- he'd get tangled up in his own feet if he attempted to round up AND stay big and deep. You'll have to show me evidence to the contrary because I don't believe it can be done. Or should be asked for- it's going to upset the horse's balance. http://youtu.be/iiPJLulpgMA

G.

We agree on what big D is. We agree on the little d. We always have. Next. if somewhere in this mess I used D where it should be d, by all means, I was wrong.
                                  Ok I looked- no one said gaited horses do Dressage. I and others said dressage. Even Bluey didn't type D, she typed d....so you're educating people who don't need it. D=Trot d=gait. We get it and we got it.

But then why in the world did you bother to say this?

I cannot find any way to read that, in the context of this discussion, that is positive in its connotations.
                                  Last edited by katarine; Oct. 4, 2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

NWHA defined gaited dressage, Bluey. Turn to page 15.

Comment

The 20m circle is one of the most useful training maneuvers you can use with a horse. A correctly moving Walker can running walk and flat walk at 20m without loosing form.

I agree that you can't "go big" on a small circle. But I must then ask, "so what?" If you have to flat walk to go to 10m then flat walk. Unless you're in a TWH-industry show ring and being judged on front end action, why is that a problem?

The benefit from this, including to a Walker doing a proper running walk, is a more supple and flexible and "looser" horse. This will improve both comfort to the rider and ease stress on the horse. Why would this be a Bad Thing?

If you "round out" any horse you pull the gait from the lateral to the diagonal. Given that most Walkers pace like camels (due to the breeding practices that supply the WHTA with candidates for the Big Lick) then circles are a very fine way to help the horse move its gait to the center. If you're already at the center you're still OK as long as you don't get too enthusiastic with your leg and hand.

I presume the discussion on the subjects of Dressage and dressage are now closed.

G.

Comment

I don't really know why the discussion was broached. No one said gaited horses do Dressage.

That horse I linked to above is an own son of Main Power. All of those videos of horses are modern bred TWHs, none pace like camels, that's a rather broad brush statement. He walks a hole in the ground. And I don't believe any horse that well gaited who is performing a running walk can pull of a 10m circle in a running walk.You will have to prove me wrong with evidence.

Comment

I don't really know why the discussion was broached. No one said gaited horses do Dressage.

That horse I linked to above is an own son of Main Power. All of those videos of horses are modern bred TWHs, none pace like camels, that's a rather broad brush statement. He walks a hole in the ground. And I don't believe any horse that well gaited who is performing a running walk can pull of a 10m circle in a running walk.You will have to prove me wrong with evidence.
                                          Well, people write Gaited Dressage (that's the noun "Dressage" modified by the adjective "Gaited" all capitalized; the meaning is pretty clear to me ).

My broad brush statement is painfully accurate.

Read what I wrote: if you go on a smaller circle you might have to slow down. I've said that at least twice, now. Please read it. But that's OK. The horse still gets a benefit even if you have to slow down. That's the beauty of work on circles. Do it right and you can get a Walker to do a credible imitation of a QH spin. Or maybe just a very nice turn on the haunches.

G.

Comment

Working...
                                          X