• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Gaited Folks check in!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by Renae View Post
    My experiences:

At the running walk you feel like you are polishing the saddle with your bum, forward and back. When they are really moving out you can feel the hind legs making longer steps.

The stepping pace feels side to side, with a little pause between.

The rack is the smoothest. It feels like the horse is churning around you. You don't move side to side or back and forth.

If your horse isn't able to maintain a good gait spend a lot of time dog walking. That is just walking on a loose rein, with a good natural forward rhythm. Don't push or ask for speed.
    Aha! He's definitely racking then--it's quite quick and feels like he's just grown 3 hands and become a hovercraft! You really can't separate the footfalls the way you can at the dog or flat walk. We've been diligently dog-walking all summer, and I've pretty much succeeded in "killing" the hard-pace. What I want to do now is confirm him in one intermediate gait I can use when my companions are trotting. I've heard the stepping-pace can cause unsoundness, so I'd like for it NOT to be that!

More later, gotta go feed, thanks for the tips everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post
      You have just proven you're a fight looking for an opponent. I got my first gaited horse less than 4 years ago, and am schooling my second--which is why I'm relatively ignorant about them. You have absolutely NO idea what else I've done, and I'm not motivated to explain it all to you. One thing I do NOT do is jump to jeering, labeling conclusions about other members of this board. Yes, you hijack other threads with your anti-RARA agenda which is a colossal bore.
      If you have no interest in this topic, why are you here?
      First, you are the one that jumped on me out of the blue in the other thread.
      Your post there was only to pick on me.
      I didn't know why, now maybe I think I do, as already explained.

Second, so what if you don't like what I say, that is no reason to pick on others like you did there and are now.

Third, I do have an interest in this topic.
      Thank you for asking those questions.
      The answers are very enlightening.
      I don't know anything other than gaited horses move oddly, but not why.
      Now I know a little bit more.

Comment

"Grown three hands and become a hovercraft" - exactly what my Paso's ride feels like at the Paso Largo!
        What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Video yourself hitting all the gears, try to get at least 10 or 15 seconds in each gait. When you play it back you can make note of the foot-fall patterns in each gait and find out that way exactly which gaits your horse is doing.

That's what I did and I learned a lot about how my horse moves and gaits in general doing so. It was a huge help and really helped me make the mental connection between what my horse's legs were doing vs. what I was feeling in the saddle.

It works best if you have someone manning the camera (as opposed to just sitting the camera on the fence) and if you video from inside the fence (much easier to see the legs moving without the rails in the video). At least that's what I learned the hard way, took me a few tries before I actually got clear enough video to see exactly what was going on

I used an online software video editing tool (can't remember which one, but it was a free one I found through Google) to slow the video down so I could see exactly what the foot-fall patterns were in each gait.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by hurleycane View Post
            Swamp I have been following your French threads and I can not tell you how cool it is to read you are riding gaitors!

If the cadence is broken 4 beat - most likely a steping pace (lateral) or fox trot (diagonal). The head will give you a clue - Foxtrotters peck forward. Steppacers side side their heads.

I would say the most important thing to consider about this gait is not so much what gait it is but more so what shape is your horse in? ANd by shape I mean what is the back's shape? How is the head shaped up? If not heavy on the hands - chances are you have something to work with. And most likely something you can get a little more evenly timed with time and possibly slowing up and/or slightly turning etc etc.

Relaxation in a 4 beat will generally get you a saddlerack. But if your horse is handy, you can encourage a little more reach in the stride and step up to a pretty cool 'nother gait: the runwalk. The RW is 4 beats with relaxation AND sweeping reach and impulsion. You will know it when you get a lovely cupa cupa cupa cupa foot sound as they come to ground along with a dropping (nodding down) head and neat powerful push in your seat. ANd the icing on the cake is feeling each foot come to ground right up in your chest - it is a lovely vibration which no other gait gives.

Once you feel it - you will seek it forever.
            OK, I've had time to look at the videos, and he's almost definitely racking! Hotpotato, hotpotato, YES! Last night on the trail he actually did give me a few strides of the back-and-forth that would be RW, like he'd just discovered it. Watching the vid of the paint horse, nope he's not doing the stepping pace, which looks kind of "jiggy" here.

Those of you mentioning the variations of tension along the top-line, yes that's what I'm playing with here. To rack, he definitely wants me to lift his withers; I'm picking him up almost and putting my legs on to say "Go!" then relaxing my fingers to "open the front door" and doing that "pelvic tilt" forward. That's when I'm getting The Hovercraft. When it falls apart I am getting something a little pacey, which I tend to quell immediately so it doesn't become habitual.

My older "schoolmaster" TWH, who sadly checked out before his time 3 weeks ago, had the true back-'n-forth RW and his was HUGE. He could also trot and canter. Nothing in between whatsoever.

Little guy has ALL this great stuff; dog walk, flat walk, RW in there somewhere, pace, stepping pace, rack, and canter. I'm finding it easiest to obtain the rack from the canter since he'll strike off nicely off my leg.

One complication is this guy DETESTS ring-work and will sulk the entire time; he believes in Going Places so we do all our work on the trails. I'm going to start sneaking some circles in the fields, though; we sneak lateral work on the road as it is.

Yes, this is definitely The Next Level for French School; a three-speed is actually pretty boring when you get used to having 7!

Comment

The rack is the most taxing four beat gait for a horse to perform. Saddlebred five gaited horses are taught to do a Slow Gait (stepping pace these days) and Rack because the Slow Gait is the gait you would actually do for miles, the Rack is what you would do when you had a need to get somewhere.

Back in the day (100+ years ago) a variety of gaits were acceptable for a Slow Gait for a Saddlebred, the stepping pace, running walk or fox trot.

I have ridden some Walking Horses that do both a running walk and rack, but you have to be careful to insist they run-walk correctly, otherwise they seem to fall into a stepping pace and rack as that seems to be easier whne you are not insisting the running walk stays true.

I have never heard that a stepping pace causes unsoundness.

If it were my horse I would try to confirm it on 2 speeds of 4 beat gait, the stepping pace or running walk for a slow gait, and a rack.

Comment

• Original Poster

That's exactly what I'm trying to do--"normalize" his RW and what I now know is a rack, and suppress the "other stuff."

Many thanks for everyone's expertise here!

Comment

I have heard differently - the horse's back will be ventroflexed when step pacing. The back will be more level when runwalking. I had always thought the runwalk was the gait of choice for keeping a horse sound.

Here is a quote i found:

Sometimes a step pace is a smooth gait for the rider. But any horse executing it will be going in a strung-out manner that places too much weight over the front end, and discourages proper balance and collection. In other words, the horse will land heavily on each front leg, while each hind leg will be hyper-extended behind it before the weight comes off, placing excessive stress on the hocks and stifle joints. This frequently results in problems with the soundness of these structures. It also encourages a ventroflexed – hollow backed – frame, making the horse hard to fit for saddle, and weakened throughout its topline. Since the horse’s back muscle (the longissimus dorsi) is the largest muscle in its body, we should keep it strong and healthy for as long as possible.

Swamp Yankee you are so lucky that the runwalk is something your horse can do. Thats the gait i would be working on for sure !
                  from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

OK Swamp - this is gonna sound weird - bit I will let it flow anyway...

Premise: 1) Free moving 4 beats require that your seat and legs interfere as little as possible. 2)No way can anyone shift their weight fast enough to follow and not interfere with a rack (ie: four legs moving independently each stride). 3) The tipping of the pelvis affects the pressure of the saddle on the back.

In your above post you said you are tipping your pelvis forward to help him rack. If I understand this right you are putting pressure on the pubis? If so, this can push the front of the saddle down onto the withers and MOL interfere with his free 4 beat movement. It can also cause ventroflexion - specially if coupled with tight thighs.

Alternative: Sharing here something I have been taught. ANd that is the pelvis is an aid to the racking horse when it keeps your weight centered on a neutral pivot point. So to support a rack, the rider can shift the pelvis to a neutral pivot point by lifting the pubis with the lower abd and soften the legs (specially thighs) as if you are trying to to suck his withers and back up into you. (Yes, suck him up into you). You do not have to be on your pockets but you do need to ride the ischeal tuberosities and be light on your thighs.

What it does is it concentrates your weight in as small an area as possible so that racking horse can rely on you to be centered and out of the way. This will let the horse do all the movement he needs to to hit four beats. ANd to do a free moving rack, he has to move all four corners independently.

So it is best if it is a neutral pelvic position for the gaited horse in gait.

For instance consider the video of the step pacing pinto. IMO the horse may be doing so because of the tension in the rider's pelvis and lower back. To me the arch of her lower back tells me she is shifted forward on her pelvis and likely on her pubis a bit and not on her "rocking" ischeal tuberosities. A little time and pelvic rebalancing by her might free him up in all four quarters. ANd he might just rack.

BTW IMO this neutral pelvis pivot point is one reason some folks get away with awful upper body positions and leg positions on gaiters. Bad at is looks - they are not interfering with the horse if the pelvis is on the tuberosities. True their form will not be that of a rider prepared for the next gear or stop - but they let all four quarters move without interference.

So try to suck him up LOL Then move him out. ANd seriously it works nicely for some of these gaitors.
                    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

Every walking horse's running walk is a little different from the next. I find more variability here than in a trot unless you are comparing a pony-esque choppy trot and an airy Arabian trot.

3 YO TWH (BL bred, by the way, he's by Main Power) never shod up front, shod behind:

http://youtu.be/iiPJLulpgMA

3 YO barefoot gelding, never shod-and can practically canter in place
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqhQz...=ULzqhQzXRzTf4

5 YO barefoot mare, Incredibly 'light' feeling- you just don't touch the ground on her.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck34C...=ULCk34CRzHRpM

my 10 YO gelding, keg shod- Pusher/Coins Hard Cash
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Z7i...=ULy5Z7idyw0Qg

my SSH/TWH mare I sold at 7 YO, keg shod. Step pacey- but you can see she's far from 'strung out and on her forehand'..she is sometimes flat walking...sometimes step pacing- the difference is a .25 of a second in timing, some strides...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB30k...=ULMB30krIoikY. my point is that the variability in what a stepping pace 'can' be- means some really are all sprawly, some are just a titch of motivation from walking or racking. Same mare, saddle gait/rack:
                      http://youtu.be/Xju37n2OVaE

DH's 100% natural SSH, Toppy. Four keg shoes.
                      http://youtu.be/_G4hVU35-x0

And his 100% natural, keg shod Scout:
                      http://youtu.be/rxTtzewuPwE

So just listen and work on 'four beat even tempo gait'. Shoulder in, haunches in, all help them loosen through the ribs and improve the notion their hind feet aren't tied to the fores on the same side.

You're too late to introduce the notion of dressage to gaited horses, in French or in ...southern fried
                      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Comment

Swamp - Figure 2b MOL pictures a good neutral gaiting pelvis for the rack. And when I read Racinet's description of how the positions affect the horse's back and hinds - well, with gaitors it seems to be the opposite. Just makes me wonder until I see:
                        "If the theory says one way, and your horse reacts another way, the theory is wrong and your horse is right. Perhaps, on second thought, you will find that the theory was somewhat right, but needed to be interpreted -adapted- to your horse."

... or the horse's mode of ambulation - 2 beat verses 4.

And thanks again for the French thread. Lots of good stuff in there.
                        from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

Katarine - I saw no comment that anyone on this thread was "introducing" dressage to gaited horses. What I think is great is that Swamp actually studied with Racinet and is taking the time to post in detail and discuss what she is doing in applying his French School teachings to the gaited ride. Have you been following the French School threads? Good stuff - and even mo better since the French discussion can now go smooth - as in gaited. Woot!

Comment

I was very much tongue in cheek, Hurley, hence the southern-fried...I was joking. You don't really think I incorporated okra into my training, do you??

I am not following the French School threads, no. These are just horse with other gears.

Comment

The poke of "too late" kinda dulled the fun in your funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
                                Ive always heard the rack described as "hot potato, hot potato" and thats how it sounds on pavement/hard surface.
                                Originally posted by Gnalli View Post
                                In particular, at a rack, the sound that is made should sound like "blackndecker blackendecker" over and over. Goofy as it sounds, listen to them on hard ground. When I am riding and can't see the legs, I listen to them.
                                Or if you are from Kentucky "chew tobacco chew tobacco"
                                ::I do not understand your specific kind of crazy, but I do admire your total commitment to it::

Comment

• Original Poster

OK Swamp - this is gonna sound weird - bit I will let it flow anyway...

Premise: 1) Free moving 4 beats require that your seat and legs interfere as little as possible. 2)No way can anyone shift their weight fast enough to follow and not interfere with a rack (ie: four legs moving independently each stride). 3) The tipping of the pelvis affects the pressure of the saddle on the back.

In your above post you said you are tipping your pelvis forward to help him rack. If I understand this right you are putting pressure on the pubis? If so, this can push the front of the saddle down onto the withers and MOL interfere with his free 4 beat movement. It can also cause ventroflexion - specially if coupled with tight thighs.

Alternative: Sharing here something I have been taught. ANd that is the pelvis is an aid to the racking horse when it keeps your weight centered on a neutral pivot point. So to support a rack, the rider can shift the pelvis to a neutral pivot point by lifting the pubis with the lower abd and soften the legs (specially thighs) as if you are trying to to suck his withers and back up into you. (Yes, suck him up into you). You do not have to be on your pockets but you do need to ride the ischeal tuberosities and be light on your thighs.

What it does is it concentrates your weight in as small an area as possible so that racking horse can rely on you to be centered and out of the way. This will let the horse do all the movement he needs to to hit four beats. ANd to do a free moving rack, he has to move all four corners independently.

So it is best if it is a neutral pelvic position for the gaited horse in gait.

For instance consider the video of the step pacing pinto. IMO the horse may be doing so because of the tension in the rider's pelvis and lower back. To me the arch of her lower back tells me she is shifted forward on her pelvis and likely on her pubis a bit and not on her "rocking" ischeal tuberosities. A little time and pelvic rebalancing by her might free him up in all four quarters. ANd he might just rack.

BTW IMO this neutral pelvis pivot point is one reason some folks get away with awful upper body positions and leg positions on gaiters. Bad at is looks - they are not interfering with the horse if the pelvis is on the tuberosities. True their form will not be that of a rider prepared for the next gear or stop - but they let all four quarters move without interference.

So try to suck him up LOL Then move him out. ANd seriously it works nicely for some of these gaitors.
                                  Wow! This is GREAT specificity! Can't wait to get out there and work on this with him--if it ever stops raining!

I can honestly say I've never had to work harder on perfect independence of seat, listening and feeling what's going on below, and realizing how minute adjustments of almost anything you can name affect a horse's way of going as I've been working on ALL of these since I got my green TWH!

(And people that see us probably think we're just two lazy bums out for a stroll--HA! )

Comment

• Original Poster

Katarine - I saw no comment that anyone on this thread was "introducing" dressage to gaited horses. What I think is great is that Swamp actually studied with Racinet and is taking the time to post in detail and discuss what she is doing in applying his French School teachings to the gaited ride. Have you been following the French School threads? Good stuff - and even mo better since the French discussion can now go smooth - as in gaited. Woot!
                                    And I'm not the only one, apparently! Old Home Week last night reading Lee Ziegler's Easy-Gaited Horses. A great deal of it sounds like it could have been paraphrased from Another Horsemanship, and on pg. 207, heading the chapter "Finishing Touches," she has in italics, "Hands without legs, legs without hands." Francois Baucher, 1796-1873. Yep, it's even more fun with more "gears!"

And, I might add, even more difficult . . .

Comment

Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post
                                      And I'm not the only one, apparently! Old Home Week last night reading Lee Ziegler's Easy-Gaited Horses. A great deal of it sounds like it could have been paraphrased from Another Horsemanship, and on pg. 207, heading the chapter "Finishing Touches," she has in italics, "Hands without legs, legs without hands." Francois Baucher, 1796-1873. Yep, it's even more fun with more "gears!"

And, I might add, even more difficult . . .
                                      Or, to some, more like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Let me explain, I can train any horse to get down and work cattle, yes, even a gaited horse.
                                      I can take a cowbred horse and LET it work cattle, he is bred to know how and be able to do it happy and with grace and ease.

While very interesting to get gaited horses to ride like non-gaited horses are expected to perform, well, they just are gaited, that's the way they are and why make their world more difficult asking them to do what they are not really made for?

I saw a video of gaited dressage Katherine posted.
                                      Wonderful, excellent riding there, but the horse was gaited and so you had to change your protocol to judge that non-standard way of going.

While the standards of dressage training can be applied to all horses to improve their way of going, to perform, unless we change the basic standards of what dressage expects in movement, a gaited horse just won't measure up to those while gaiting, other than in gaited specific competition, or will they?

I think gaited horses in all kinds of gaits are very interesting.
                                      It does seem that not all are quite to a standard and there is some cross over.
                                      This is all very interesting to learn.

Comment

My RM is my first gaited horse to own and train. I hadn't ridden much gaited. I may "have" been new to gaited but not new to horses. I have endurance ridden for many years. My rm I got at 1.5 years old, and she is 6 this year, and I did all the training, and I also certified her. I got up to speed on gaited very very fast. I have watched legs on horses for a long time, so I watch the legs alot and listen to the hoofbeats on the gaited.

First of all gaiting feels to me like the most wonderful sitting trot. Gentle on the butt. When my rm step-paces 12-34 I feel it in my spine, and it was not nice, imo. When she 4 beat gaits, it is a super nice feel in my butt. All she will do undersaddle is 4 beat gait. 1234. I want her to do the 1234, no other, and so she doesn't.

BTW my rm will gait at a nice speed with no contact at all. I will drop the reins and just guide her if needed with my leg. She likes to do that when we trail ride, she just gets in a mode. LOVE IT.

Every horse is different. Just like in trotting horses. Saddle, bridle, rider, collection makes the gait different also, just like trotting horses. Gaited have a particular speed they do their gait best. Just like trotting horses. It can be due to conformation, way of going, and or fitness. Find the speed, and the gait you like best.

Listen to the hoof beats. Then if you can, watch their legs. I only watch one side of the body's legs. IOW the right legs or left ones. Hind foot always hits first.

Here is a link I like alot:

http://www.brightonridge.com/about_gaits.html

RM and paso people, we do not care what the gait technically is called. It is a rack. Same foot fall, 1234 1234, no matter the speed. Really, who cares "what" the gait is called. If the foot fall sequence is different, then there is a difference.

I want my rm in a lovely, smooth 1234 gait at all times. She can be a little hot/forward, and she can definitely go much faster, but it is always in the 1234 4 beat gait. Add a little leg, little less leg, little from my hand, or a little more. Just like in trotting horses. They need to learn to stay in that perfect sweet spot zone, then much later then you can speed up - if you want.

Also hill work is good for the gaited horse. Works the hind end well. They will use it going up a hill, so that may be a good place to see what your horse has with regards to gait.

This is not rocket science, you can do it, ANYbody can.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                          Or, to some, more like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Let me explain, I can train any horse to get down and work cattle, yes, even a gaited horse.
                                          I can take a cowbred horse and LET it work cattle, he is bred to know how and be able to do it happy and with grace and ease.

While very interesting to get gaited horses to ride like non-gaited horses are expected to perform, well, they just are gaited, that's the way they are and why make their world more difficult asking them to do what they are not really made for?

I saw a video of gaited dressage Katherine posted.
                                          Wonderful, excellent riding there, but the horse was gaited and so you had to change your protocol to judge that non-standard way of going.

While the standards of dressage training can be applied to all horses to improve their way of going, to perform, unless we change the basic standards of what dressage expects in movement, a gaited horse just won't measure up to those while gaiting, other than in gaited specific competition, or will they?

I think gaited horses in all kinds of gaits are very interesting.
                                          It does seem that not all are quite to a standard and there is some cross over.
                                          This is all very interesting to learn.
                                          This is exactly what USDF said when they declined to enter the world of "Gaited Dressage."

"Dressage" as a destination is, for me, an ultimate exercise in boredom. But "dressage" as a method of making my horse better is an Excellent Idea. It was also considered an excellent idea in the 18th Century. I have no desire to master the fine points of the works of long dead, European, white guys. I can get what I need from the texts from Ft. Riley or from reading the likes of Henry or d'Endrody*, as supplemented by the practical experiences of application. If others choose a different road, then God Bless 'Em.

In horses breeding counts. There's a reason the high levels of competition Dressage are dominated by warmbloods and you'll narry see an Iberian horse. There's a reason that barrel racing is dominated by QHs. Ditto for cow work. And Cowboy Mounted Shooting. There's a reason TBs dominate in flat racing. This does not mean that other breeds can't participate to some extent in these disciplines, but the rules are such that a specialty horse will whip the non-specialty horse across the board. While this truth is a bit less so in an event judged by a stop watch or yardstick it's absolutely true in the "judged" activities where a human applies a written standard to an equine performance and applies a grade base upon "how well" they conform to that standard.

Good horsemanship is good horsemanship. It is not dependent upon the shape of a saddle or the way of going of the horse.

Good horsemanship also means the rider is smart enough to choose a horse appropriate to the task at hand.

G.

*Note that these references in fact contain a large amount of the work of Baucher and others. But this earlier work is not pursued for its own sake but rather as a way to get someplace else. The work of Baucher is less a destination than a road. A French general observed that he wanted a war horse that would move forward, not go capriolling about the battlefield on three legs.
                                          Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Working...
                                          X