• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Was it Right for These Mules to be Euthanized?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it Right for These Mules to be Euthanized?

What sayeth the CotHers? I mean really, you go out to find old mules to euthanize so you can have an exhibit? Then again, if the only option was the slaughter house, well maybe it was okay.

http://kfyo.com/mules-euthanized-for...sts-speak-out/
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

While I don't LIKE the idea of buying old mules just to use them for a display, it was a humane death for 2 animals well past their prime, apparently soon the be on their way to Mexico.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with it if they were really supposed to be slaughtered otherwise. Sure was a nicer way to die and they didn't suffer.

Comment

Why not? I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

Comment

SAFE TEH MULES!!

sheesh, 28 and 32....do what with them? Put them in wheels chairs?

Not particular crazy about the general idea, but golly, it's no like they didn't try another route or got young and healthy ones.

This way these two oldtimers will continue to educate people for probably longer than even their amazingly long lives.
          Originally posted by BigMama1
          Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Christ. This is what's wrong with horse keeping in America. That *anyone* would be all up in arms about giving these old mules a kind end is totally ridiculous.

I think that finding a pair of mules in the slaughter pipeline, purchasing them and having them euthanised is an incredibly kind and thoughtful act, since they were not able to locate any taxidermied animals for sale.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with it. They purchased the animals and they humanly put them down. They did not steal the mules and them make them stuffed animals. I think people (not on this board, well, ok, some on this board, are too sensitive. Mostly the people commenting on the new article)

But to be honest, won't it have been cheaper to purchase fiberglass model mules? Unless the taxidermist did it pro bono, isn't taxidermy pricey for such large animals? Museums operate on a shoe string budget.
              www.facebook.com/doggonegoodgoodies
              http://doggonebakedgoods.com/

Comment

Ambassador mules. They stuff lions and bears for museums - why not mules?

Mules are beautiful and I'm happy the museum's visitors will get to see the real deal - and not an old poorly stuffed pair, but a match with a modern taxidermist touch. It will bring history to life, not a Chuck-E-Cheese plastic animation, computer generated video, or 2D Photos.

Comment

Originally posted by MunchingonHay View Post
                  I don't see anything wrong with it. They purchased the animals and they humanly put them down. They did not steal the mules and them make them stuffed animals. I think people (not on this board, well, ok, some on this board, are too sensitive. Mostly the people commenting on the new article)

But to be honest, won't it have been cheaper to purchase fiberglass model mules? Unless the taxidermist did it pro bono, isn't taxidermy pricey for such large animals? Museums operate on a shoe string budget.
                  I don't think a fiberglass model gives he same feel.
                  maybe in the case of Misty it would though.
                  GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with it either. I was reading the comments. Murdering a mule?? The vet should 'loose' (when will some folks learn the dif between 'lose' and 'loose'?) their license(s)? We're barbaric for not letting them get on a bus to Mexico and be stabbed to death?? OMG, they're going on display to be educational!! What??

Criminy.

Actually, I do wonder about finding an already dead pair. The Museum of the Horse in Ruidoso has stuffed horses aplenty. I don't remember if they had any mules or not. I'm telling you, the stuffed horses were kind of spooky if you ask me...dunno, just something about it...*jitters*...
                    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

I also don't have an issue with this.

Vet schools also have been known to do this to allow students to practice euthenasia, necropsy and surgeries and anatomy.

I think as animal owners we owe it to our pets to euthanize an animal when the quality of life of the animal has degraded to the point where the animal is suffering. I get more upset with animal owners who refuse to entertain the idea and their pet is clearly suffering and in pain.

These mules would have suffered and been in much more pain being shipped in a slaughter trailer and entering the loop for dog food.

What a great lesson in doing the right thing for the animal and allow that animal to have dignity and allow it's life to continue to serve a purpose.

Comment

From the FB page trying to get the euthanasia stopped- so taie it as you may...

UPDATE (09-17-12 / 5:45 PM EST) According to a press release just posted by the American Museum of Agriculture, the two
                        mules have already been killed. There is some doubt about the truthfulness of that statement, however, since the museum's director told an advocate only a few hours ago that they would be put down on Wednesday, Sept 19th.

ORIGINAL CALL TO ACTION:
                        Two live healthy mules have been purchased for $3000.00 to be killed and stuffed for a display at the American Museum of Agriculture in Lubbock,Texas. They are two healthy,trained mules 10-12 years old.The director is claiming that they are old and decrepit, but that fact is disputed by knowledgeable mule experts.

The mules are slated to be hauled to a taxidermist in Brady, TX by Wednesday, September 19, 2012.

Those who oppose this plan are encouraged to call the American Museum of Agriculture in Lubbock, TX at 806-744-3786 to express your opposition.

'Save the Lubbock Horses' was founded by Elaine Nash.
                        Definitely 10 -12 years old does change it and paying $3K!!!

I would think that if they really wanted to they could have found somebody to donate that was planning to euthanize anyway OR worked with vets in the area to find a client that had to euthanize. If it's true that they spent 3k they could have done a lot better on craigslist or an auction house and $1500 each isn't slaughter price... which means they wouldn't have gone to slaughter.

And if they decided to kill them a day early, so they could get by with less media scrutiny... well... that's legal, no laws against euthanizing mules... but, kind of coward and not the most ethical choice in my book.

Personally, I was always a fan of the "LIVING" history museums. I'm not in the area, but if I was, I wouldn't go because of the mule issue. I also wouldn't pay money to see exhibits made up entirely of taxadermied critters... not my cup of tea.
                        http://www.leakycreek.com/
                        http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
                        John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
                        Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Comment

Ah, the lady running the save the pony thing has an AOL email!
                          Nuff said!
                          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Someone in the family paid $10,000 for a guaranteed Bull Elk hunt and then has the thing's head stuffed. Why make a big deal out of $3,000 for a matched mule pair. Mules are not even on the Endangered List of Species. It's ok to kill and mount animals not on this list, especially for educational purposes.

Comment

On a related note, a friend's truck hit a Great Horned Owl, and killed him. To this day the owl is in his freezer because no taxidermist will touch it to mount (illegal). It has to be donated to a museum that will pay to mount the owl for educational purposes and he hasn't found a museum that wants it.

Comment

Good lord, people need to get their facts straight before jumping all over this. I find it beyond unbelievable the museum paid $3000 (in Texas, with these hay prices?!) Lubbock is NOT a big town, I doubt the museum has that kind of cash to throw around. Sounds very suspiciously like the advocates just want to make their case sound better. I just don't get it. Thousands of horses are cruelly slaughtered every year but god forbid 2 mules get humanely euthanized (even if they were young and healthy, at least it is a quiet end!). People need to redirect their efforts to more important matters

Comment

Here's another article that says the museum did pay 3k- http://www.examiner.com/article/texa...or-art-exhibit

I can't see mules in their 30s costing 1500 each!!! Something isn't adding up... and if they did indeed buy them from a KB then they really got taken...

Their FB page is lit up... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...e/187087493451 Here is the museum's version-

For Immediate Release:

The American Museum of Agriculture is dedicated to creating a world-class facility that exhibits and explains the growth and development of agriculture in the Southern High Plains region of the United States. As part of our efforts, we have contracted with Museum Arts of Dallas, Texas, to aid in the design and construction of several of our featured exhibits.

One of those
                                  exhibits is a McCormick reaper that has been meticulously restored and is on permanent loan to the Museum from the Glasscock County FFA chapter. With the assistance of Museum Arts, we have installed a very realistic exhibit showing the reaper and its operation. To complete this exhibit, Museum Arts strongly recommended that we obtain professionally preserved mules in full harness to allow our visitors to understand how essential animal power was to this stage of American agriculture. Our board did consider the use of fiberglass replicas but were advised that the impact of the exhibit would be substantially diminished. Mr. Phil Paramore of Museum Arts said, “The reason that you use a real animal is to most accurately show the way the activity was done at the time. A fiberglass replica just doesn’t convey the same message. When we can find animals that were scheduled to be destroyed anyway and then immortalize them in an exhibit, we can really show their importance in the development of agriculture.”

After an exhaustive but fruitless search for preserved, exhibit-quality animals, one of our board members learned that an area horse and mule trader had purchased a pair of mules that would fit our needs. According to the owner, the animals had reached the advanced ages of about 28 and 32, respectively, and were no longer sound or strong enough for normal use. Had the Museum not purchased these animals, the next option for the trader would have been to sell them to be transported into Mexico for slaughter for dog food.

Instead, the mules were humanely euthanized by a licensed veterinarian and will become excellent educational exhibits for years and years to come.
                                  http://www.leakycreek.com/
                                  http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
                                  John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
                                  Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Comment

I'm more upset that they paid 3000. for the mules. Hopefully it is a private museum using their own funds, not taxpayer funds. I also hope that the purchasers are in the market for a show horse if I ever decided to sell!

The mules had a humane end. Better that than the alternative.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with it at all.

I don't know about the 3k, though. That seems awfully high.

Then again, it's peanuts compared to how much it will cost to get them mounted.

Much ado about nothing.
                                      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                        There's nothing wrong with it at all.

I don't know about the 3k, though. That seems awfully high.

Then again, it's peanuts compared to how much it will cost to get them mounted.

Much ado about nothing.

well, you know how it is: when you REALLY want something and are bend over the barrel, the price goes up accordingly.
                                        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Working...
                                        X