• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse hunting - how much do you trust your trainer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse hunting - how much do you trust your trainer?

This is something I'm curious about because I'm looking for a new instructor (re-rider looking to start lessons again) and I hope to actually get a horse at some point in the not too distant future, and one thing I'm coming up against is that there are folks who seem like they might be okay as instructors but whom I don't know if I would necessarily trust to give unbiased help in actually finding a horse. (Because they have sale prospects themselves, because they want to lease out something in the stable already, because they're biased against certain breeds, whatever. There can be all kinds of reasons why someone might not give a really good evaluation of a horse.)

But of course the standard advice for first time horse owners is to trust your trainer, so - do you? Do you pick trainers/instructors based on the need to do that at some point? Do you just plan to involve horsey friends in the shopping?

Curious about how folks handle this.

I knew my trainer knew what she was doing because I rode a few horses that she had trained herself, and horses that she had chosen for clients. They were SOLID. She had a knack for finding the right brain.

Of course, I ended up buying the horse I wanted and not quite the horse she wanted for me. But she supported my decision and it's worked out just fine. (See my signature line, that should explain things).

I was lucky that quite a few of her boarder's horses were on her lesson program so I really got a sense of the type of horse she chose for he clients and I liked them.

But it's a great question. I'm curious to see the other answers!
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

http://reriderandpony.blogspot.com/

Comment

My trainer would be totally honest with me even though I'm leasing one of her horses. When I fell for a Canter horse I took the pictures to her. She told me he had fantastic conformation, but did dissuade me with "you know you couldn't ride him for a year--he's only three!" So, a grain of salt, but a tiny grain.

Comment

The best trainers know their students need to be on the best horse for the student, to be successful. Sticking a student on whatever a trainer has for sale, even if it is not a good match, does not necessarily make for strong confident results later on. Confident successful happy students earn more for a trainer in the long run than one horse sale, in addition to the ethics of the choice of horse.

I'd say talk to your trainer's students and ex-students in settings where they can feel comfortable talking. You want a trainer who has a good record of students who are happy and successful (however that is defined) on a horse found for them by the trainer.

If a trainer has the right horse for you in the barn, all is good to buy from the trainer. And there is a great chance you can ride the horse for a while before you commit. A good trainer that doesn't have the right match will help a student go horse shopping.

When you do go horse shopping, trust your own instincts, as well as the trainer. You can make changes if you don't feel particularly confident of how things are going.

Comment

Originally posted by mayhew View Post
          My trainer would be totally honest with me even though I'm leasing one of her horses. When I fell for a Canter horse I took the pictures to her. She told me he had fantastic conformation, but did dissuade me with "you know you couldn't ride him for a year--he's only three!" So, a grain of salt, but a tiny grain.
          Um, this is not true. You can absolutely ride three year olds...particularly TBs that have already been racing...

Comment

Can't say because I've never had a trainer, buy my horses on my own.

But I will say I was unimpressed with a trainer that called from a long way away, some years back, when I had a horse for sale. It happened that her client was skiing nearby and would like to try the horse. I said fine. She then said okay, how much are you going to pay me? I said zero, any fees on my horse were between her and her client. So client never saw what might have been a fine fit. I saw it as an attempt at highway robbery- trainer could no more advise client from where she was than the man in the moon.

Comment

I've bought several horses with trainers, bought one that a trainer advised against and bought one totally on my own. They all worked out and I honestly can't say that I regretted any of them. I've never had a trainer advise I buy a horse that I thought was a bad choice. If anything, they were the voice of calm and reason when I was sucked into the "he's the one!" mode.

I think it's good to get the opinion of someone you trust and respect, but ultimately it's the buyer's decision. The important part is picking the trainer.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Beverley View Post
                Can't say because I've never had a trainer, buy my horses on my own.

But I will say I was unimpressed with a trainer that called from a long way away, some years back, when I had a horse for sale. It happened that her client was skiing nearby and would like to try the horse. I said fine. She then said okay, how much are you going to pay me? I said zero, any fees on my horse were between her and her client. So client never saw what might have been a fine fit. I saw it as an attempt at highway robbery- trainer could no more advise client from where she was than the man in the moon.
                I think part of why I'm asking about it is because I have had a trainer in the past who I really would have trusted to give me the full story without wanting a cut from the seller, and so far no one who has lesson horses around here is giving me the same sort of feeling.

(I know leasing is an alternative to lesson horses, but I'm not ready to go that route quite yet.)

I would like to have someone involved in my riding regularly who I felt would be able to give me an honest assessment of where I am and if a horse would be a good fit or not, but I'm kind of wondering if I'm going to need to go outside the box a little and just find an instructor I like for lessons and when it comes time to buy, rely more on more experienced horsey friends for guidance and my own gut.

Comment

I did it the opposite way. I picked my trainer cause I bought her horse, and I thought she had done a good job training her.

Comment

My previous trainer was not someone I trusted to help me purchase a horse. Although I liked what I was learning from that trainer, they were giving me no help at all in terms of finding a horse. I had a decent budget, not huge, but something fairly respectable. They weren't doing squat to work their contacts nor even comment much on ads I showed them. After several rounds of this I realized I was getting nowhere and I dumped that trainer.

Fast forward a few months and I'm out on my own looking seriously without the help of a trainer. I bought young and green, exactly the type of horse the previous trainer would have told me not to buy or that they would have poo-pooed from the start.

A year later after groundwork, long-lining and finally some riding and horsey is scoring consistently in the high 60's to low 70's at training level. We also just won our first horse trial to boot. Not something the previous trainer would have told me I'd get with this horse. Current trainer made all the difference. If I were to buy again, I'd have complete faith in my current trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                      Um, this is not true. You can absolutely ride three year olds...particularly TBs that have already been racing...
                      I know. That was her smokescreen to keep me on my leased horse. As I was not actively looking for a horse, but was just drawn to this one, it didn't really matter. Had I been more serious, I would have paid for her to drive over the mountains to see this horse.

Comment

Has anyone run into trainers who are really restrictive? As in:
                        (1) no mares
                        (2) nothing younger than 8
                        (3) nothing older than 14 because "you don't want to be the last owner"
                        (4) must have changes already confirmed

My former trainer would make comments like this. Keep in mind I'm a decent rider, totally capable of riding youngsters (and have done a lot of it) so it's not like I'm a beginner.

Interestingly, the former trainer only started sending me ads after I gave up my lease and left the barn. A few weeks later I started getting calls from them saying they had X or Y horse for me to look at. lol.

Comment

I haven't read all of these.

I don't trust my trainer; I respect his knowledge and expertise. The guy has been in the business for 50 odd years, so he's screwed people in the past, just a fact of life. I like the guy, he has a ton of experience, good judgement, seems like a stand-up guy, but I don't trust him.

I'm horse shopping now. I welcome his input, but at the end of the day, my money is being spent, not his. We have implicitly different interests in the transaction.
                          Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

To the OP - do have a horsie friend help you...

I recently had a re-rider friend be pursuaded to look at a horse for sale by her new (lessons for 3 months) trainer. A little digging on my part found the horse to be 7 years older (22yo v. 15yo) than advertised and not half of the show record that the trainer had alluded.

We aren't sure if the trainer was in error or not but my friend passed on the horse and was thankful to have a trusted advocate beyond the new trainer.

So yes, have a friend help, and above all else, get a vet do a pre-purchase exam on the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by mayhew View Post
                              I know. That was her smokescreen to keep me on my leased horse. As I was not actively looking for a horse, but was just drawn to this one, it didn't really matter. Had I been more serious, I would have paid for her to drive over the mountains to see this horse.
                              Ick. I would not trust this trainer at all, then. She's a liar and does not know how to just be direct and say "I think you should stick with the leased horse for now because..."

As for trainers - I don't trust them, but I will make use of their knowledge and contacts when it suits me. Acting as an agent "for me"? Absolutely not, I don't trust them. The trainer-as-agent scenario is set up to be abused, as the trainer's commission is generally tied to getting clients to pay more for horses.

Comment

My trainer rarely gets commission off horse purchases/sales and has enough horses in training to keep herself busy already, so I trust that she's not going to point me in the wrong direction when she has so much fun with correct matches. She has a history with many mismatched clients who came to her with horses and she either helped them learn to get along with the wrong horse or helped find the right person and find those clients the right horse. Often times they ended up as two-way giveaways to great long-term homes, even. Definitely no financial incentive as far as horse ownership changing, but incentive as far as keeping clients happy.

It's true that trainers have a different perspective/different interests, so that's of course something to keep in mind, though, even from a 100% honest trainer. In my case my trainer really wanted to see one of her clients buy my horse, so that was her self interest - she loves him. But she also didn't have any clients who were a good match for him until I came along. When his previous owner suggested I try him her response was "We ride very similarly, I think you would be a good match." Turns out, she was right that we were a good match. With my new girl I bought basically of photos and video but went to see out of state she reviewed the photos and videos and gave her opinion that she seemed likely to be exactly my type of horse, discussed what to look at when I saw her in person, etc., and she's now eagerly waiting to meet her in person.

I definitely trust my trainer. However, she's not me, she's not my mother - her professional reputation and career are and should be #1 priorities for her. It's not bad to remember that no matter how much I love her and love riding with her.
                                Originally posted by Silverbridge
                                If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Meh. I won't be in the barn and paying someone I don't trust, however, there is a difference to me in trust and blind faith.

I trust that my trainer will find appropriate horses for me to consider. I trust that she will give me an honest opinion of a horse's suitability for what I want to do, regardless of it's one of hers or one I've found on my own.

HOWEVER, at the end of the day, it's my money. I'm going to choose the horse *I* want in my barn. My trainer can sort through the brains, and movement, and athletic ability -- once they pass all of those aspects, then I choose which one I get along with best and just generally like the most.
                                  Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

Comment

I think it depends. I've been on both sides. I've had trainers point me to horses that weren't right for me.

However, I do trust my current trainer. At the same time, I must feel that a horse is right, as well.

When we went shopping in Europe, I told her she had veto power. She got multiple offers of cash from sellers who wanted her to push their horse and she turned them all down.

I fell in love with a mare who outclassed me in every way. But I sensed she had a fantastic mind, was kind, and wanted to please. So my trainer didn't veto it but warned me I would have to get serious and probably would not be able to jump her for about a year. She was right.

My thought is that you ideally want somebody with a good eye to approve your decision. If you can't trust a trainer to do that, they definitely don't need to be part of the decision and will not have earned the commission.
                                    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

Originally posted by kdow View Post
                                      I would like to have someone involved in my riding regularly who I felt would be able to give me an honest assessment of where I am and if a horse would be a good fit or not, but I'm kind of wondering if I'm going to need to go outside the box a little and just find an instructor I like for lessons and when it comes time to buy, rely more on more experienced horsey friends for guidance and my own gut.

Sounds like a sensible approach to me.
                                      As others as noted, do go with someone that can give you a good reliable set of eyes. And do get a vet check. But ultimately, it is YOUR decision. Process information from others and then ask yourself, but do I think this is my horse?

I recall accompanying a friend horse shopping, along with another friend, and despite our urgings, she bought the 'pretty' horse that was not right for her instead of the 'plain jane' that was solid in conformation and performance, just not as flashy, a horse I would gladly have owned myself! Upshot was (making a very long story short) her purchased turned into a project that I had to help sort out w/riding instructor, ultimately the horse was successfully sold to a professional barn where he belonged.

Comment

I knew I could trust my trainer when she said I didn't need to spend more than XYZ on a horse because all I needed to spend to get exactly what I wanted was ABC (she got commission and was not trying to sell a horse that cost ABC, and this was in response to me bringing up the idea of tapping into some of my other resources to access more money). I thought that said a lot about her interest in helping me find the right horse within my budget.

Comment

Working...
                                        X