• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

2012 COTH Secret Santa -- Sleighs On The Way!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    So what's the word on revealing oneself? Should I include a note in the package, or post on here? What is everyone else doing?
    I put one of my "real life" Christmas cards in with my SS gifts, and added my COTH name to it. I thought it would be kind of cool for my giftee to see who her elf is. But I think it is completely up to the individual. Last year I forgot to include the card (oops!) so I left a message here with who I was.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• CarolinaGirl!

Hello hello!

Just thought I'd drop a line and let you know to expect one package the week of Dec. 3 ... It's being mailed direct to you from the company. Also, this is something you probably shouldn't wait until Xmas to enjoy! (hint, hint)

The rest of your packages will be mailed shortly thereafter. It would have been earlier, but apparently your Elf isn't the brightest bulb on the tree and missed the whole shipping deadline thing. And these gifts can wait until Christmas to be opened. Or not. Your call!

Comment

• Dear TarheelJD,

The shopping is almost complete.
        But I need a few more things.
        So tell me what you eat.
        Do you like chocolate-dark or light-and other items Santa's elf can bring?
        And what about the furry ones?
        What do they like for treats?
        What do they enjoy for fun?
        Anything they won't eat?
        As for your travel-where's your favorite place to go?
        Any trips coming up next year?
        We're putting on the bows.
        And if you listen you just might hear the sounds of sleigh bells coming near!

Also, I know gifts should go out by the first and yours will be, but I also wanted to let you know I always send some homemade cookies but I can't send those until the week right before Christmas. Just something else to look forward to!

Comment

• Sannosis here I am!!!!! I exist, I swear and I've been shopping for you!

This stelf is technologically challenged. So much so that I spelled your username wrong in my username. D'oh! I'll try to change it but I'd rather spend that time shopping for you!

Do you have any favorite authors? Do you have a kindle/electronic reader or do you prefer "real" books? Do you want anything horsey in your package--perhaps something for the WB you're riding? Gloves or something special for yourself?

I'll brush up on my rhyming skills when I'm bored at work tomorrow--just wanted to let you know that I'm here!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanosisStelf View Post
            Sannosis here I am!!!!! I exist, I swear and I've been shopping for you!

This stelf is technologically challenged. So much so that I spelled your username wrong in my username. D'oh! I'll try to change it but I'd rather spend that time shopping for you!

Do you have any favorite authors? Do you have a kindle/electronic reader or do you prefer "real" books? Do you want anything horsey in your package--perhaps something for the WB you're riding? Gloves or something special for yourself?
            I do have a regular kindle. My ex gave me his after he got a fire.
            And I am seriously into The Stephanie Plumb series, I just finished # one,
            I also have not read Charlaine Harris's mysterys The Lily Baird ones. I read all the Aurora Teagarden ones. I plan on killing winter reading all these mysteries.

I'll brush up on my rhyming skills when I'm bored at work tomorrow--just wanted to let you know that I'm here!
            OH MY GOSH!!! I have an elf!!! I am so happy elf!
            I am happy with whatever you decide to send! You just made my weekend
            The WB has all he needs, his owner and me have too much stuff between us.
            All the stuff I have from my now deceased TB and hers.
            There is nothing I do not like. Well except Liver and Lima beans!!
            Last edited by Sannois; Nov. 25, 2012, 08:25 PM. Reason: Add .

Comment

• Senszuri --- your kringle elf is a procrastinator, and a little stumped to boot. What are YOUR favorite treats? Barn colors? Anything you hate?

The workshop opens this weekend!

Comment

• Elf, I apparently am also electronically challenged.
                I tried to add something else to my post and it did not work.
                I adore Charlaine Harris's books, I have read all her Southern Vampire series, I just read all the Aurora teagarden series.
                I want to read the rest of her mysteries, The Lily baird series is one group.
                And I just started the Stephanie Plumb books. I have only read the first one.
                And yup I have a plain Kindle, My ex gave me his after he got a fire.

Comment

• OK, Sannois! We warmbloods had gone so far as to get your address from another cother, as we kept seeing that you didn't have an elf apparent. Now that she has appeared, we warmbloods won't be sending you a gift. Or maybe we will, who knows? After we nap on it, uh think on it!

We are glad your elf has appeared.

Comment

• Oh Twinkle!!

This Elf is on the ball this year, never fear!
                    Your package is almost ready, filled to the brim with Christmas cheer!
                    I hope it will be on time,
                    Sorry for this lame ass rhyme

Comment

• Oh RolyPolyPony,

The sleigh is packed with some gifts that are sure to make you smile! I have a few tiny things to pick up tomorrow! I want to send you something from the southern state where Rudolph has a vacation home! (but it's NOT FL, too hot for a Reindeer!). I hope you like everything, I think I hit quite a few of your addictions!!!

Comment

• I don't think I've thanked my elf for my latest gift. Last week I opened my mailbox to find a nice box and inside was a wonderful red scarf with a penguin on it! I just love penguins and have been wearing it all week. And how did my elf know it was just in time for the OSU-Michigan game where I sat in south stands and was made warmer with my scarf!

Thanks again, elf!
                        No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
                        For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
                        www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

• Originally posted by tarheeljd's_elf View Post
                          Dear TarheelJD,

The shopping is almost complete.
                          But I need a few more things.
                          So tell me what you eat.
                          Do you like chocolate-dark or light-and other items Santa's elf can bring?
                          And what about the furry ones?
                          What do they like for treats?
                          What do they enjoy for fun?
                          Anything they won't eat?
                          As for your travel-where's your favorite place to go?
                          Any trips coming up next year?
                          We're putting on the bows.
                          And if you listen you just might hear the sounds of sleigh bells coming near!

Also, I know gifts should go out by the first and yours will be, but I also wanted to let you know I always send some homemade cookies but I can't send those until the week right before Christmas. Just something else to look forward to!
                          So excited to hear from my elf! And I can't wait for yummy cookies closer to Christmas, to extend the fun of SS!

I love milk and dark chocolate, and combos with nuts, toffee or coconut. I am not a big fan of white chocolate, or cream filled type chocolate. I like almond flavored stuff, and mint.

The furry ones love, love, love treats! My 13.5 year old Weimaraner can't eat really hard treats anymore, in order to avoid any damage to her poor, old teeth! She can eat things like milk bones, but not stuff like antlers. The puppy and the horse will eat just about anything!

Vesper, the puppy, loves to play ball.

As for travel, I have spent a lot of time in Asia. And the best trip I have ever taken was 3.5 weeks in Africa. I love Cape Town, South Africa and the nearby wine country. DH and I will be headed to Greece and Turkey this coming summer, and to France in summer of 2014 for WEG, so those are the two big trips on our horizon.

I guess that is about it! Thanks so much for your message!
                          Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by STEALTH ELF 4 SEABREEZE View Post
                            Seabreeze,

Your Stealth Elf has packed up the sleigh & the box is now FULL, of surprises we elfs hope will be pleasing to you. So in a week or so at your front porch, should be a simple brown box of Christmas Joy for you. Happy Holidays from Stealth Elf & Crew....
                            Stealth Elf, you are the best! I am very much looking forward to receiving my package! I can't wait!!!! I will post as soon as I receive it to let you know it arrived. I probably won't be able to help myself and will open it, unless you tell me to wait. I would wait if you wished

Ah, this is VERY exciting
                            "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

• Yay to hear again from my elf! I've been busy and a bit of a stealth elf myself- no worries
                              ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
                              ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
                              ~Vet Tech Student
                              Mom to : 2 Horses, 4 Dogs, 2 Cats

Comment

• Ohhhhhh!!! I'm so excited!!

Comment

• dghunter, it is a true elfy sacrifice to get the red gear for the OSU fan (since this elf is a Wolverine). Glad it is warm. Hope the package with book, CDs and cat stuff made it to you as it is claiming delivered.

Comment

• I'm getting so worried about my elf ... I hope that they really are just stealthy, but no emails or PMs or anything. Or, I just did an awesome job and am easy to buy for!

I can't wait to mail my giftee's gifts, I may do it before the 1st!
                                    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

Comment

• Stelf here....

My dear giftee, please be aware that this is a one-elf shop here, so you're gifties may not be posted til slightly after the deadling! I promose that they'll be out before the 7th!

(And totally worth the delay, I hope!)

Sincerely,
                                      Your Stelf Amm2cd

Comment

• I have GREAT news! and less great news!

O Meghan O Meghan,
                                        Your elf and hooved helpers have finished selecting an assortment of goodies just for you and your special hooved one All were carefully wrapped - no help from my hooved helpers there and boxed and presented for delivery at Secret Santa's special delivery center this morning! That's the GREAT news!!!!!

The less great news is that the super fast Thoroughbred Racehorse sleigh was already overloaded with special gifts and this elf had to select the less than super fast Warmblood Dressage Horse sleigh for the transportation of your Special Secret Santa stash I'm told the current rate of piaffe packages is approximately one week!

So, niether rain, nor snow, nor dark of night will prevent your goodie box from arriving NEXT week! Cross your hooves and everything else that we don't have any East Coast Hurricanes, Northeasters, Earthquakes, or other reasons to delay the Warmblood Piaffe Pair de Deux Sleigh from arriving at your barn in perfect form and before December 25, 2012!

Comment

• You want us warmbloods to deliver Meghan's presents by sleigh? Uh that's what the UPS guys are for, LOL. We just buy stuff, we don't deliver it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X