• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

2012 COTH Secret Santa -- Sleighs On The Way!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't heard from my elf yet, but if you are reading this, I have more info to add to the not-so-great description I gave you in the original e-mail!
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

Comment

• Freebird !

As your Elf, I have a couple of questions:

1) Do you have a picture of your mini and your POA cross? What size is the POA? Do you live in a place that gets cold in the winter?

2) What are your favorite colors?

3) What kinds of things do your kids enjoy doing? any particular games, books, activities or cartoons they enjoy?

4) do you prefer your dark chocolate straight up or with exotic things added? How dark do you like to go?

Let me know and I'll start shopping!

Comment

• Calling Mmacallister, Your Elf is Here

From one OTTB to another TB,

I got your list and I'm checking it twice!
        I'll make sure my mama buys you something nice.
        Can you tell us your TB name?
        No TB is ever the same!

....we are all sooooo special.

Hugs,
        OTTB ELF

p.s. my mama says she is impressed you are going out on the trail. She knows better than to try that with me!

Comment

• I have an elf! YAY!

Sadly I no longer have the pet store discount, since I was laid off almost 2 years ago. I have a different job now, but they sell jewelry- not as fun! Course I still have all the slightly defective animals I took home, as well as the horse, pony and illegal chicken. (shhh)

To answer-
          Skyline! AND White Castle
          ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
          ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
          ~Vet Tech Student
          Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats

Comment

• I haven't heard a peep from my elf but I've been shopping up a storm for my giftee. In fact, I'm done shopping! Now I'm at the mercy of the postal and UPS gods to deliver the goods to me so I can wrap them and ship them out in a timely manner.
            Crayola Posse - Pine Green
            Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)
            Autumn Caper (April 27, 1989 - May 24, 2015)
            Murphy (April 28, 1994 - May 5, 2017)

Comment

• Oh, JustABay!

Your Elf is getting ready to shop shop shop for you at Equine Affaire (am I local to it? Am I just willing to travel superfar for my JustABay? You will find out!), and I have a few questions!

Are pierced earrings a yes or a no? Any allergies?

You like big belts and you cannot lie - what's your breech size so I know belt length if I chose to go that way...

That's it FOR NOW

Comment

• ^ JustABay, you crack me up!!!
                I like big belts and I cannot lie!!!
                Wish I were going to Equine Affaire.
                Have a great time!!

Comment

• No word from my elf and no response yet from my giftee to a few messages, either. Ah well, I am having fun shopping here in the land of silence.

Comment

• As your Elf, I have a couple of questions: (Make my Day - wooohoo!!)

1) Do you have a picture of your mini and your POA cross? What size is the POA? Do you live in a place that gets cold in the winter? Well, I live in Ga, so we have cold wet winters, but not snowy winters etc. Here is Ember's Album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=42b01a1db8

and Simba: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9ee917ceb4

2) What are your favorite colors? Light Blue - and brown

3) What kinds of things do your kids enjoy doing? any particular games, books, activities or cartoons they enjoy? My 10 year old son Tyler, loves anything WWII, and my almost 2 year old, Addie Grace loves her some Caillou, Hello Kitty, and she looooves anything to do with horses.

4) do you prefer your dark chocolate straight up or with exotic things added? How dark do you like to go? I like it straight up or with coffee flavor/beans etc. I like it fairly dark, but not baking chocolate dark, lol.

The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

• Dear elf,

I think I may owe you a thank you! I came home to discover some starbucks peppermint cocoa under my mat. I'm thinking it came from you, so thank you! Otherwise I'll have to start calling everyone I know to see who sent it lol.
                      No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
                      For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
                      www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

• Oh my goodness! Elf, you totally just made my day!! I'm so glad you posted Ooooooo, Equine Affaire! Oh man, that's like shopping Mecca! I think I'm going to be one lucky girl!!

I do like earrings, but I'm not a fan of super dangly ones - cool studs are always appreciated!! I have allergies to nickel but can wear stainless steel/surgical steel with no problems! I also like bling belts and that ain't no lie, I generally wear a 32 breech but I usually buy a 34 belt as I like a bit of room

Thanks so much Elf, you really brightened up my day! Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Comment

• Originally posted by dghunter View Post
                          Dear elf,

I think I may owe you a thank you! I came home to discover some starbucks peppermint cocoa under my mat. I'm thinking it came from you, so thank you! Otherwise I'll have to start calling everyone I know to see who sent it lol.
                          No thanks needed, that is round one of several. Happy Holidays! If it has been as cold there as here, you will enjoy it. Otherwise, you will have to save it for the next cold spell or do this: http://picky-palate.com/2012/01/12/f...ndipity-style/

Comment

• Originally posted by dghunter_Elf View Post
                            No thanks needed, that is round one of several. Happy Holidays! If it has been as cold there as here, you will enjoy it. Otherwise, you will have to save it for the next cold spell or do this: http://picky-palate.com/2012/01/12/f...ndipity-style/
                            It's been cold here so no frozen hot chocolate needed! But I did just enjoy a nice cup of it while watching Law and Order: SVU so thanks again!
                            No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
                            For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
                            www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

• I am en ELF!

A virtually challenged elf to be sure.

However, I am an excellent researcher! Although my giftee gave me very little to go on. I found LOTS of info!

So someone out there who is right this minute warming their toes by a fire and drinking some hot cocoa is going to be gifted s o o n.

Your anonymous elf!
                              “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
                              ? Albert Einstein

Comment

• Thank you so OTTB elf! My TB's name is Grahms Delight and she loves to trail ride, just don't take her through water, she thinks all water is there for her to splash and play and roll in!! Deciding to retire her was tough, but 2 bowed tendons on the track don't hold up well to the mountains. Now she is my big dog that follows me around, begs for treats (and beer) and licks my hand when I am out of treats.

Here is the TB looking regal (she stood in this pose until the photographer was done) http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...type=3&theater

and here is my steady little qh
                                http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...type=3&theater
                                Last edited by MMacallister; Nov. 9, 2012, 10:06 AM. Reason: to add pictures
                                www.michelesfindinghappiness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by dressagetraks View Post
                                  No word from my elf and no response yet from my giftee to a few messages, either. Ah well, I am having fun shopping here in the land of silence.
                                  I am in that same land. It's looking like stealth mode this year, though I rather like the attempts of rhyming and teasing.

I figure we may as well chat about shopping since our elves and giftees aren't. So far I've shopped at Smartpak, a local store (not necessarily horse-related), and am heading to a fun tack store near Denver soon. There's also a craft fair I might check into on Saturday. How about you?

Comment

• OK, I found something last week that I think would be awesome for #4. Only problem is I was so tempted that I...umm...well...opened it. I'll have to go get a second one now. lol. I swear by this stuff, but only before 8pm unless I don't have to be up early the next morning. In the morning though, that's a totally different story

Originally posted by Freebird! View Post
                                    As your Elf, I have a couple of questions: (Make my Day - wooohoo!!)

1) Do you have a picture of your mini and your POA cross? What size is the POA? Do you live in a place that gets cold in the winter? Well, I live in Ga, so we have cold wet winters, but not snowy winters etc. Here is Ember's Album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=42b01a1db8

and Simba: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9ee917ceb4

2) What are your favorite colors? Light Blue - and brown

3) What kinds of things do your kids enjoy doing? any particular games, books, activities or cartoons they enjoy? My 10 year old son Tyler, loves anything WWII, and my almost 2 year old, Addie Grace loves her some Caillou, Hello Kitty, and she looooves anything to do with horses.

4) do you prefer your dark chocolate straight up or with exotic things added? How dark do you like to go? I like it straight up or with coffee flavor/beans etc. I like it fairly dark, but not baking chocolate dark, lol.

Comment

• Hey Shine Time to Get Jolly

Well, I got my SS registration sorted out
                                      And have several more days of shopping by my count.
                                      But I need some information
                                      Before instigating holiday jubilation.

Hey Shine!?
                                      Do you ride your horses day and night?
                                      Or is the schedule of your modern life too tight?
                                      Are you girlie or the tom boy type,
                                      Enjoy the holidays or hate the hype?

As elf I have an important task,
                                      But to bring you cheer I have to ask:
                                      Are you very small or very tall?
                                      Into leather is Beta bettter?
                                      Wear a bolo tie or a rat catcher?

Hate to trouble but I’m new to elfing,
                                      I hope my questions end up helping!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanely Eccentric View Post
                                        I am in that same land. It's looking like stealth mode this year, though I rather like the attempts of rhyming and teasing.

I figure we may as well chat about shopping since our elves and giftees aren't. So far I've shopped at Smartpak, a local store (not necessarily horse-related), and am heading to a fun tack store near Denver soon. There's also a craft fair I might check into on Saturday. How about you?
                                        I've shopped at Smartpak and at another online site, though not a horse-related one. I've also virtual shopped at a local store and in a catalog, but those two virtual trips await the next paycheck. It's all blocked out, half bought.

Comment

• Calling RLastInstallment!!

Ello dear RLastInstallment,

Never fear your elf has arrived! This elf has been a tad chaotic at work so was a little slow to get to the computer. This elf is also not much on the rhyming but love to tease!

I am a very detailed elf so would love some more details about you, your handsome Grimsey and puppy dog. Perhaps some pics of them? What about favourite colours for all of you?

Do you have anything on your wish list that this elf might be able to take care of?

Basically this elf needs a couple of ideas to make sure I am on the right direction!

talk soon and will also PM you.

elfie xx

ps. Watch the post for something soon

Comment

Working...
                                          X