• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stallion carrier for HERDA but still breeding - WWYD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MySparrow View Post
    Okay, help me out here. If you breed a carrier to a non-carrier, does the recessive HERDA mutation just go away? Or does it stand a chance -- by my reckoning a 50 percent chance -- of being passed on to an offspring?

If the answer is no, there is no chance it will be passed on, then no problem.

But if the answer is yes, there is a chance it will be passed on, then why perpetuate the mutation?
    Carrier is carrier, meaning they are not symptomatic but carry the gene. That gene can be passed on... it's not a 25% chance, it's a 50%.

The 25% chance would be having a symtomatic horse from two carriers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy M View Post
      I believe HERDA is recessive, unlike HYPP which is dominant.
      No, hypp is incomplete dominant- an N/H horse has a chance of symtomatic HYPP. An H/H horse is almost assured symptomatic hypp.

Comment

I don't think dogs suffer like horses either. Each species suffers in its own way.

If mare owners don't test theres nothing I can do about that if they don't care theres really no reason the stallion owner should that I can see. Everyone has their own right even though someone else may think differantly.
        Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

Originally posted by county View Post

If mare owners don't test theres nothing I can do about that if they don't care theres really no reason the stallion owner should that I can see. Everyone has their own right even though someone else may think differantly.
          And I can disagree and think they shouldn't do it. That's what makes it a free country.

I can also think that AQHA should prohibit breeding of HERDA and HYPP carriers.

When you're breeding, you're creating life and have some responsibility not to purposefully create life that has a greater than "normal" chance of suffering. That means not propagating a genetic defect that is common enough to make it probable that somewhere down the line, horses will suffer if you let it continue.

It also means not breeding horses for which there is little market or use (that's where I am right there with FHOTD).

Comment

I don't see where I said you couldn't disagree. In the title of your post it says " WWYD " I took that as a question I had no idea there could be a right or wrong answer.

Comment

I don't see where I said you couldn't disagree. In the title of your post it says " WWYD " I took that as a question I had no idea there could be a right or wrong answer.
              It's not my post. I'm just an interested observer

Comment

Ah my mistake I thought you were the one who started the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrey View Post
                  I can also think that AQHA should prohibit breeding of HERDA and HYPP carriers.

).

AQHA has been around and around the pond trying to disallow registration of horses with various genetic flaws. They cannot afford all the lawsuits that result, and now pick their battles very carefully.
                  Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
                  www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Comment

Stallion carrier for HERDA but still breeding - WWYD?

Not so simple for people to test their mares because will they all know who they go back to if the horse is not on the papers? how many people know zippo pine bar was a herda carrier???

Comment

I am not up on all of the HERDA genetics, but I would think, given the nature of the problem, that it would be sensible to breed it OUT rather than keep the genetic mutation going by continuing to breed to known carriers. No?
                      I disagree. I researched HERDA a bit more after I posted - and like SCID it is an autosomal recessive. There is no reason whatsoever to reject carrier horses from the gene pool if they are otherwise excellent individuals. The Arabian breed would be missing some of its best, brightest, and most prominent individuals were carriers to be eliminated - The Real McCoy, Tornado, Versace, possibly Nariadni. I expect it's no different in the QH world. With a test, no HERDA affected horses ever need be born ever again. The gene pools in both breeds are huge - there is no reason to fear that this genetic problem would take over the breed.

Really, if you think about it - most conformational and temperamental faults are genetic - the only difference is, we don't have a test for those. Most sensible breeders would never eliminate a horse from breeding just because it had one fault, especially if it were outstanding in other respects.

In addition to those reasons - if you eliminate carriers, you may trade HERDA for something different and something worse. Not only that but you decrease the available gene pool.

Originally posted by ThreeBarPocoGal View Post
                      In a perfect world, anyone breeding to this stallion would ask to see results of the test and then not breed to him. Unfortunately there's not much you can do other than to be a constant pest to AQHA, APHA and all the rest of the breed registries to ban registration of carriers.
                      Why would you ever ban registration of carriers? The disease is within the breed now - and the test was only recently developed. They are not affected by the disease, a test is now available, and no HERDA foal should ever be born again.

Originally posted by Sandy M View Post
                      I believe HERDA is recessive, unlike HYPP which is dominant.
                      Appears so.

Originally posted by Dad Said Not To View Post
                      Exactly. It's NOT just like breeding an HYPP carrier; the offspring have NO chance of manifesting the disease if the mare isn't a carrier. Personally, I think that the stallion owner should be discussing HERDA status with people who choose to breed their mares to his stallion, but the stallion's carrier status alone should not determine whether or not he should ever breed.
                      Ditto.

Okay, help me out here. If you breed a carrier to a non-carrier, does the recessive HERDA mutation just go away? Or does it stand a chance -- by my reckoning a 50 percent chance -- of being passed on to an offspring?

If the answer is no, there is no chance it will be passed on, then no problem.

But if the answer is yes, there is a chance it will be passed on, then why perpetuate the mutation?
                      Again, if you eliminate carriers, you may trade HERDA for something different and something worse. Not only that but you decrease the available gene pool.

Comment

More information here:

http://www.bringinglighttohypp.org/HERDA.html

Comment

But people aren't testing, HERDA status isn't on the papers, and as long as the QH breeders are being so lackadaisical about something that can be so awful for a horse, there's no way to justify continuing to breed carriers.

If a breeder had a carrier stallion and bred only to non-carrier mares, and had mare owners sign papers promising to test carrier status of offspring, etc. it would go a long way. But they don't.

If at least all QH had HERDA marked on registration, and breedings of carriers to carriers would be unregisterable, that would discourage them.

BTW
                          HERDA is characterized by abnormal skin along the back that tears easily and heals into disfiguring scars. The skin is loose, and hyper-elastic in affected horses. Symptoms typically don’t appear until the horse is subjected to pressure or injury on their back, neck or hips, usually around two yrs of age. However foals can show signs when injured, while other horses mature and only show signs in the joints.[3] The expression of HERDA is variable, and the phenotypic range of expression is still being determined.

Comment

People aren't testing? Maybe your not but that hardly means everyones not.

Comment

People aren't testing? Maybe your not but that hardly means everyones not.
                              Not everyone is. Until everyone is and there are no carriers being bred to carriers, the problem isn't solved.

Comment

I agree but thats in a perfect world and this isn't one. Unless a law gets passed to require it ( which I'd be shocked ) its never going to be 100%. I'm sure the AQHA would love to just make it a rule and like I said I'd love to see it but after the ET lawsuit they are very careful what they try to pass as far as limiting peoples right legally. Tx. has one of the strictest Right To Free trade laws on the books which the AQHA found out after spending a very large sum of money.

Comment

Haven't read all of the responses but the short answer is there is nothing you can do. AQHA has not taken a stand on breeding HERDA positive horses so contacting them about this breeder still breeding thier positive stallion wil do you no good.

http://www.bringinglighttohypp.org/HERDA.html

If the mare owners are breeding thier HERDA positive mares to stallions that they do not know the status of (or don't care) they are just as guilty as the stallion owner for propigating the disease.

Just like in the paint world when a OLWS carrier breeds to a carrier they will almost always get a lethal white foal but to some it is still worth the risk.

Comment

Almost always get a lethal white? 25% isn't what I'd call almost always.

Comment

Question time...

If a carrier is bred to a non-carrier, isn't there still a chance that the resulting foal would also be a carrier without showing symptoms? Then what happens when someone wants to breed THAT foal?

Honestly, I would never do any business PERIOD with someone knowingly breeding a HERDA carrier. That mutation is just horrible and to knowingly breed a stud (which SHOULD BE A GELDING) is just plain irresponsible IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatIrishTemper View Post

If a carrier is bred to a non-carrier, isn't there still a chance that the resulting foal would also be a carrier without showing symptoms? Then what happens when someone wants to breed THAT foal?
                                        Yes, a 50% chance.

If a carrier is bred to a carrier, there is a 25% chance the horse will have HERDA, a 50% chance it will be a carrier, and a 25% chance it will be free of the gene.

eta:

http://www.thehorse.com/images/conte...hc_herda2.html

'nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by ttldr1 View Post

Just like in the paint world when a OLWS carrier breeds to a carrier they will almost always get a lethal white foal but to some it is still worth the risk.
                                          Breeding OLWS to OLWS makes NO sense. The chances of a healthy frame are the same 50% as if you bred to a solid, but you get the 25% chance of a dead baby. Maybe only having a 25% chance of a solid baby is why (they'd rather have a dead baby than a solid one?).

Comment

Working...
                                          X