• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rood and Riddle Supports Soring of Horses???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rood and Riddle Supports Soring of Horses???

    Rood and Riddle, a respected equine practice in Kentucky, is providing veterinary support for the TWSHO and the Walking Horse Industry at the 74th Annual Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration.

    Due to intense scrutiny after the infamous Jackie McConnell video, showing blatant abuse, the Walking Horse Industry created TWSHO (Tennessee Walking Show Horse Organization) in order to protect horses.

    However TWSHO has come under fire – their swabbing (i.e. sampling for foreign substances on the legs of the horse) is reported to allow baselines of both caustic chemicals as well as numbing agents. And now TWSHO is leveraging the name of Rood and Riddle by hiring Scott Hopper to examine select horses that the USDA veterinarians have deemed sore.

    Scott Hopper /Rood and Riddle, funded by the Walking horse industry, are participating and in some cases condoning soring despite the two most respected veterinary and equine professional organizations (AVMA and AAEP) strong stand against the soring of horses.

    In an interview with The Hoof Blog, Hopper makes several concerning assertions.


    “I did not see a problem with soring during my four nights inspecting horses at The Celebration.”


    Yet during this time period numerous violations (almost all indicative of soring) were found by others.

    SHOW (hired by the Celebration to inspect horses) found: 30 violations

    And USDA Veterinary Medical Officers found: 102 violations



    “Of the horses I examined I saw no signs of abuse.”


    Yet in this same interview he states;


    “The biggest area of concern I had was with the palpation of horses and those deemed sore by USDA VMOs. Approximately 70% of those cases, I disagreed with the VMOs and found nothing wrong with those horses.”


    What about the 30% Dr. Hopper? Where they not sored? Which is it?


    At the end of the day this is about the horse –not about money, payments for “services” exchanged, the media or a $0.02 ribbon.

    Call your Congressman (http://avmacan.avma.org/avma/callale...ertid=61758876).

    Call Rood and Riddle (859-233-0371).

    Let them know what you think. Let them know you stand for the horse.

  • #2
    hm. bumping. thoughts?

    Comment


    • #3
      Good idea about making the calls. I am totally perplexed about Dr. Hooper's thoughts on TWHs. I do know a vet who interned there and will be contacting him and feeling him out about Dr Hooper.
      from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

      Comment


      • #4
        I seriously doubt a partner at Rood & Riddle would jeopardize his hospital's reputation for a TWH competition.

        Here's the entire interview:

        http://hoofcare.blogspot.com/2012/08...tt-hopper.html

        Comment


        • #5
          I have every confidence that no vet from Rood and Riddle would compromise their integrity by enabling TWH abusers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Having just read the full article, I consider the initial post a gross misrepresentation of the facts, and a blatant attempt to damage a top group 's reputation to further an agenda.

            Soring is terrible. The doctor stated very clearly he is against it. Sounds like there may be a similar situation developing to the overzealous elimination of some jumpers for hypersensitivity.

            Comment


            • #7
              What Snugglerug said. I've seen these VMOs in action. I'm pretty sure they could find a way to write a ticket on almost any horse they decided to. Dig your fingernail hard enough into any horse's coronary band and they'll flinch.

              Comment


              • #8
                This Rood dude is supporting TWHSHO, whose members have multiple violations, and the TWH Industry. Vets can be bought same as anyone. If Rood and Riddle had such a good reputation in the past, prehaps it was b/c their stand on soring was not known. The truth has a way of coming out! Just b/c one is a vet doesn't mean they're against soring, I know two vets in this area who sore their own horses, and kiss the rear ends of the Big Lickers down here too. Anything this Hopper guy said is in support of the Lickers, therefore quite suspect, and needs intense examination. I'm sure being in Kentucky he has many BL clients, and he's not going to shoot himself in the foot. I just don't believe everything I read, been around this subject too long.

                Comment


                • #9
                  He's a surgeon at R&R. Most of their clients are thoroughbreds and sport horses. Read the blog I posted of the interview and quit misrepresenting what was said.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by skydy View Post
                    I have every confidence that no vet from Rood and Riddle would compromise their integrity by enabling TWH abusers.
                    Me too. What a load of horse crap.

                    I don't like soring. It needs to be stopped. But the OP's version of events smells like ARA propaganda to me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Actually, on Fri night when Chad Way was banned from the Celebration for 2 yrs (and that is not even the legal stuff to come at him), the vet from R&R deemed Tin Man "disabled"-------------it was f'ing horrible 4 the horse. He could not even walk. Everyone was horrified. I feel so sorry for the horse. God knows what Chad Way has put him through. No words from the owners.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just quoting for posterity, you know, in case Dr Hooper decides to get his attorney to contact the OP and her friend. Now it's quoted and they can't poof.
                        Originally posted by AlterforWalkers View Post
                        Rood and Riddle, a respected equine practice in Kentucky, is providing veterinary support for the TWSHO and the Walking Horse Industry at the 74th Annual Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration.

                        Due to intense scrutiny after the infamous Jackie McConnell video, showing blatant abuse, the Walking Horse Industry created TWSHO (Tennessee Walking Show Horse Organization) in order to protect horses.

                        However TWSHO has come under fire – their swabbing (i.e. sampling for foreign substances on the legs of the horse) is reported to allow baselines of both caustic chemicals as well as numbing agents. And now TWSHO is leveraging the name of Rood and Riddle by hiring Scott Hopper to examine select horses that the USDA veterinarians have deemed sore.

                        Scott Hopper /Rood and Riddle, funded by the Walking horse industry, are participating and in some cases condoning soring despite the two most respected veterinary and equine professional organizations (AVMA and AAEP) strong stand against the soring of horses.

                        In an interview with The Hoof Blog, Hopper makes several concerning assertions.


                        “I did not see a problem with soring during my four nights inspecting horses at The Celebration.”


                        Yet during this time period numerous violations (almost all indicative of soring) were found by others.

                        SHOW (hired by the Celebration to inspect horses) found: 30 violations

                        And USDA Veterinary Medical Officers found: 102 violations



                        “Of the horses I examined I saw no signs of abuse.”


                        Yet in this same interview he states;


                        “The biggest area of concern I had was with the palpation of horses and those deemed sore by USDA VMOs. Approximately 70% of those cases, I disagreed with the VMOs and found nothing wrong with those horses.”


                        What about the 30% Dr. Hopper? Where they not sored? Which is it?


                        At the end of the day this is about the horse –not about money, payments for “services” exchanged, the media or a $0.02 ribbon.

                        Call your Congressman (http://avmacan.avma.org/avma/callale...ertid=61758876).

                        Call Rood and Riddle (859-233-0371).

                        Let them know what you think. Let them know you stand for the horse.
                        Originally posted by walknsound View Post
                        This Rood dude is supporting TWHSHO, whose members have multiple violations, and the TWH Industry. Vets can be bought same as anyone. If Rood and Riddle had such a good reputation in the past, prehaps it was b/c their stand on soring was not known. The truth has a way of coming out! Just b/c one is a vet doesn't mean they're against soring, I know two vets in this area who sore their own horses, and kiss the rear ends of the Big Lickers down here too. Anything this Hopper guy said is in support of the Lickers, therefore quite suspect, and needs intense examination. I'm sure being in Kentucky he has many BL clients, and he's not going to shoot himself in the foot. I just don't believe everything I read, been around this subject too long.
                        Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                        Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                        Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                        Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The hoofblog article is confusing. It says that Dr Hopper examined 30 horses during the four nights. He found that he didnt agree with the USDA VMO findings 70% of the time. I take that to mean that he DID agree with 30% of the findings. Then he is quoted saying that soring is not a problem. Is 30% not a problem ? I have been misquoted before in newspapers, but when i see quotation marks in an article i take it to be actual word for word. So consider me 30% confused.
                          from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by skydy View Post
                            I have every confidence that no vet from Rood and Riddle would compromise their integrity by enabling TWH abusers.
                            Good post, and a trueful one. I have been to Rood and Riddle, and it is an outstanding equine facility.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If Dr. Hopper is concerned about digital palpation as the primary method of detecting soring he is not alone, nor is it the first time that practice has been questioned. The entire issue was covered when I took the DQP training in the late '90s. So this is not exactly news.

                              Since the method is based upon the observations of the person doing the palpation then there can, and will, be differences of opinion on whether or not a horse reacted to the palpation and whether or not that horse is "sored" under the HPA.

                              I've no "heartburn" with people employing an independent vet. to watch and, perhaps, second-guess the USDA inspectors. That's no different from people videoing an officer conducting a traffic stop, arrest, or any other function where the officer is in plain view.

                              If the USDA vet. employed the proper practices under the HPA and found a sored horse and another vet., following the same protocol, did not then you have what Texas Lawyers call a "swearing match." That's why God built courthouses.

                              G.
                              Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Long and short of it is there continues to be sored horses - even when proponents of stacks hire an outsider to critique USDA.
                                Last edited by hurleycane; Sep. 2, 2012, 11:35 AM.
                                from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Is Dr. H forgetting the HSUS video where horses were being beaten for flinching? These horses are trained not to react so a normal palpation exam is not going to elicit the same responses are a normal horse. I also suspect that the horses he was given to exam may have been blocked or numbed. I am sad that Rood and Riddle is tacitly supporting this event, without even decrying the blocky shoes which Dr. H knows are uncomfortable for the horse and will lead to problems.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    I hope R&R and Dr. Hooper sues the pants off the OP. Thanks for quoting Graatan. I can't abide this ARA crap.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      I also took a screenie of the page with the original title. Just in case the OP edits that too.
                                      Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                                      Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                                      Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                                      Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Snugglerug View Post
                                        Having just read the full article, I consider the initial post a gross misrepresentation of the facts, and a blatant attempt to damage a top group 's reputation to further an agenda.
                                        I agree - and I know Scott Hopper personally, and he would not do anything other than report factually what he has found on the examination of a horse, no matter the pressure (ie. the horse being pulled from a Grade I stakes race because of the results, or disagreeing with the exam someone had done on a horse that was removed from a competition).

                                        Another quote from the interview:
                                        "I don’t believe that horses need to be sored to perform at a high level at the Celebration. Of the horses I examined I saw no signs of abuse. If any owner or trainer believes that this is still necessary then they should be banned from the profession, because there is no place for it anymore"

                                        Doesn't sound to me like his stance on soring is questionable or at odds with the guidelines of the AVMA/AAEP.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X