• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Euthanasia in Horse Rescues

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euthanasia in Horse Rescues

I think that if horse rescues are going to euthanize their horses, it should be because the horse is in extreme pain/suffering, or if the horse has extreme aggression issues that puts people working with it in danger.
    Rescues, IMO, shouldn't put their horses down to make space for new horses. That would make them a horse shelter, not a horse rescue. IMO, once a horse is taken in by a rescue, that horse is safe, until it finds a home. If for some reason the horse can't find a home, it should stay at the rescue as a permanent resident, or it should be taken to a sanctuary where it can live out the rest of its life. It shouldn't be put down. I also don't think that rescues should put horses down that have training issues. Like if a horse is really green undersaddle, or if it is pushy on the ground, the horse should be trained or taken to a facility that can properly train the horse. A horse with training issues shouldn't get put down.
    Under what circumstances do you think a horse at a rescue should get euthanized?
    Last edited by evesadopter; Sep. 1, 2008, 11:45 PM.

So why should anyone do things the way you would do them? I mean if thats how you feel then by all means do it that way but the world has no reason to feel the same way and being differant hardly makes someone else wrong.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

Fair enough. Now where is the money supposed to come from for all of these horses that rescues can't find homes for?

Comment

If you owned a rescue and you had to choose between rescuing a horse that could definatly be rehomed, but without you as the middleman, would go to slaughter (or worse), or a horse that would never be re-homed, how can you deny the one that has a chance of an excellent life that hope. IMO, in the world in which horses exist today, the ones who have the best chance of being rehomed as useful parters should be given the preference over horses who are too far gone in any sense to be rehabilitated.
        It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Comment

You've been drinking the "idealist" kool-aid.

Of course it would be lovely if rescues could take on only the horses with a chance....rehab 'em, rehome 'em. But ya know what? People dump all sorts of horses and guess what? We...us....WE are the ones that have to absorb them.

Don't know about you, but I can't afford another horse right now. I'm all stocked up. So in lieu of a horse getting a good home and good care? I'm all for euthing. If you can't find a home for them, isn't it better to euth than to let them starve or suffer?
          A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Who is going to do the training? If the horse is difficult the horse is going to need the services of a very good trainer. Good trainers are already busy. Who will cough up the $? Keeping a horse for the rest of its life is costly. Calling a rescue a shelter or the other way around does not change the fact that not all horses have a good place in this world. and there is no shortage of horses looking for a home. There are worse things than euthanasia - lots worse.

Comment

i would prefer euthanasia to the horse suffering. And it's not cheap. It's not like the rescues WANT to just go around killing horses. It's not like that. The good rescues offer a valuable service and what those people go thru is extremely emotional.

Comment

This petition is protesting against Days End Farm? Hmmmm.....
                Can you be a bit more specific about what exactly is happening?
                Y'all ain't right!

Comment

So, evesadopter, what have you done to help the urgent needs of all the many horses in need of good homes? Have you ever visited the horse rescue you're now protesting to see, firsthand, what you think you're talking about?

IMO, Days End Rescue is one of the honestly good ones out there, and there are many that are anything but good. In fact, they've responded to requests for help with Hurricane Gustavo and are currently on standby to send more reinforcements, if necessary:
                  http://www.defhr.org/press/gustav.htm

Here's their euthanasia policy, which I find very sensible and responsible:
                  http://www.defhr.org/Euthanasiapolicy.htm

In closing, I think your discontent and efforts would be better directed towards those out there who actively abuse horses, not those who are truly making a difference and giving horses that last chance at a good life.
                  Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by BeastieSlave View Post
                    This petition is protesting against Days End Farm? Hmmmm.....
                    Can you be a bit more specific about what exactly is happening?
                    Sorry I haven't been responding!!

Yeah DEFHR is making room for new horses to come in, so they are euthanizing healthy, horses that could (if given time) find a home. One horse is a 20year old gelding they are putting him down because he's too old and because he can't find a home fast enough. They aren't even trying to find another sanctuary that could possibly take him in.

Another pony was a Chincoteague pony, she was sent to the wrong home and received little to no training there. She injured her rider and was sent back to the rescue. After 3 weeks she was euthanized. She was young and was green. The rescue sent her to the wrong home, and the pony suffered for it.

We're protesting to try and get the rescue to change their euthanasia policy, to save the current DEFHR residents.

Comment

I saw Days End in action in Mississippi after Katrina. They sure looked like 'good guys' to me and I know for a fact that they put out a lot of their own money to be there and help out!

I looked at their euthanasia policy and I think it sounds very reasonable too. I didn't see anything that made me think they are/were "euthanizing their horses because they are too old and lack training". What specifically would you change about their policy?
                      Y'all ain't right!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Liberty View Post
                        So, evesadopter, what have you done to help the urgent needs of all the many horses in need of good homes? Have you ever visited the horse rescue you're now protesting to see, firsthand, what you think you're talking about?

IMO, Days End Rescue is one of the honestly good ones out there, and there are many that are anything but good. In fact, they've responded to requests for help with Hurricane Gustavo and are currently on standby to send more reinforcements, if necessary:
                        http://www.defhr.org/press/gustav.htm

Here's their euthanasia policy, which I find very sensible and responsible:
                        http://www.defhr.org/Euthanasiapolicy.htm

In closing, I think your discontent and efforts would be better directed towards those out there who actively abuse horses, not those who are truly making a difference and giving horses that last chance at a good life.
                        I believe that DEFHR was once a great rescue that had horses as the first priority, but now I'm not sure what their goals are.

They are denying to the public that they have NEVER changed their policy, however their policy did in fact change, and I have it in writing.

I've volunteered at DEFHR for 8 years, and I left. I couldn't stand to watch them euthanize horses that were healthy. I knew every horse very well that they euthanized, and I don't think any of them should've been.

I keep telling people that maybe I'm just so upset about it because my horse would've been euthanized. I recently adopted a horse from there that has a huge scar on her leg, she was adopted/returned 3 times, and is 17 years old. 3 perfect reasons to euthanize her.

One horse is still alive that has mental issues. She tried to jump a 4ft fence TWICE with her riders, and she is completely unpredictable on the ground AND in the saddle. She almost killed someone, but thankfully only broke their collar bone. She is still living, but the little sweet Chincoteague pony is dead.

Comment

Genuine question - why should horse rescues be different from other animal rescues out there? Dog and cat rescues can't - and don't - keep all animals until they find a home, and dogs and cats are a lot easier and cheaper to keep than equines.

Seems like the OP would scream bloody murder if a horse rescue had the same policy the (very good) dog rescue I worked with did - we only took the dogs that had the BEST chance of adoption. Needless to say, that left a lot of (healthy) dogs still at the shelter waiting for their pink shot. Was it sad? Yes. Did we have room for all of them? No. Did we want to give foster spaces to animals that had the highest chance of going on to be adopted and moving to new families? You betcha. We occasionally wound up with a 'special' case, but many of our dogs were pulled from shelters that weren't able to adopt the breed out - so we had our pick of rescue animals. Putting months of TLC into a dog to get it adoptable wasn't an issue, but if that dog didn't get adopted, that meant one less space for an adoptable dog. It's a tough line to walk. Have you ever had to do it for yourself? It IS sad. But we quite literally cannot save them all - I don't care if you're talking horses, dogs, whatever.

Healthy does not equal adoptable. Would've been great if some wonderful person had bankrolled us so that we could've saved all of them, but that didn't happen.

Comment

I understand your emotional response. I'm not a cold hearted BIA...but I AM a realist.

If asshats would quit pawning off their middle to late aged horses and do the right thing themselves, then rescues wouldn't be in the position to make tough choices.

But what it comes down to is who is most likely to be adopted. A younger horse has much better odds than one over the age of say 12. I know lots of people who have looked at horses at rescues when ready to shop....but they're not interested in taking on a 15, 17 or 20 YO horse when they know they can only buy one. Many of the folks I know who will take a rescue are ones who are prepared to put the training on the horse and then sell....projects.

Hard to take a project horse at age 17 and turn it into a jumper and make money.

At the end of the day, the real jerks are the ones sending their middle aged horses down the line.
                            A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

evesadopter,

From your website (in bold):

Un-adoptable doesn't exist. NO HORSE is un-adoptable. Someone out there will ALWAYS want a horse that no one else seems to want.

Really? What are you doing to help find those adopters that you just KNOW are out there?

We're not giving up on Mountain. Someone SOMEWHERE wants this horse, and perhaps his friend Gatsby.

Great, so what are you actively doing to help Mountain and Gatsby? Or the others you've mentioned too. IMO, posting YouTube videos and launching a protest petition aren't the best uses of your time and effort to help find those horses new homes.

Mountain is still alive, and so is Gatsby (last time we heard). If someone can help them, it would be nice!

Again, what are you, specifically, doing to help?
                              Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with a rescue employing euthanasia. If the horse has been there for a year and not rehomed? Fine. If there is something wrong that will make rehoming hard? Fine. Whatever. There are much worse things that can happen to a horse than euthanasia. If you have an issue, open your own rescue and run it the way you want.

Comment

Originally posted by evesadopter View Post
                                  One horse is still alive that has mental issues. She tried to jump a 4ft fence TWICE with her riders, and she is completely unpredictable on the ground AND in the saddle. She almost killed someone, but thankfully only broke their collar bone. She is still living, but the little sweet Chincoteague pony is dead.
                                  Was this "someone" who was almost killed someone that you love? How could you justify risking a human life with that horse? In fact, even the courts call that a 'dangerous predisposition' and any rescue who allows volunteers to handle a horse like that risks everything in doing so.

I know the problem lies in people who pass along horses without taking their responsibility as owners seriously enough to ALWAYS do the right thing for the horse. In this 'throw away' society, it is easy to forget that responsibility often includes making hard choices.

Rescues can't perform miracles. More's the pity.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                                    You've been drinking the "idealist" kool-aid.

Of course it would be lovely if rescues could take on only the horses with a chance....rehab 'em, rehome 'em. But ya know what? People dump all sorts of horses and guess what? We...us....WE are the ones that have to absorb them.

Don't know about you, but I can't afford another horse right now. I'm all stocked up. So in lieu of a horse getting a good home and good care? I'm all for euthing. If you can't find a home for them, isn't it better to euth than to let them starve or suffer?
                                    Very much agree with all of the above.
                                    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Liberty View Post
                                      evesadopter,

From your website (in bold):

Un-adoptable doesn't exist. NO HORSE is un-adoptable. Someone out there will ALWAYS want a horse that no one else seems to want.

Really? What are you doing to help find those adopters that you just KNOW are out there?

We're not giving up on Mountain. Someone SOMEWHERE wants this horse, and perhaps his friend Gatsby.

Great, so what are you actively doing to help Mountain and Gatsby? Or the others you've mentioned too. IMO, posting YouTube videos and launching a protest petition aren't the best uses of your time and effort to help find those horses new homes.

Mountain is still alive, and so is Gatsby (last time we heard). If someone can help them, it would be nice!

Again, what are you, specifically, doing to help?
                                      Because of this protest many other rescues and organizations have offered to take in Mountain, Gatsby and have offered to help the other horses.

I forgot to mention that DEFHR used to have a smaller farm that was like 17 acres, now they have a BIGGER facility and have 30-40 acres. At the smaller farm, DEFHR had 50 horses on it, really overcrowded. Now they have a bigger facility and have 65 horses on it....and their putting horses down because they have no space?

Comment

Originally posted by evesadopter View Post
                                        Because of this protest many other rescues and organizations have offered to take in Mountain, Gatsby and have offered to help the other horses.

I forgot to mention that DEFHR used to have a smaller farm that was like 17 acres, now they have a BIGGER facility and have 30-40 acres. At the smaller farm, DEFHR had 50 horses on it, really overcrowded. Now they have a bigger facility and have 65 horses on it....and their putting horses down because they have no space?
                                        Are YOU bankrolling the rescue? Are you OFFERING to bankroll the rescue? There's more to rescuing animals than SPACE.

If you can do it better, start your own rescue. Then you can deal with the time, money, and space crunch and show us all how it's done.

Again ... what makes a horse different than the thousands and thousands of healthy (and infinitely more adoptable than an 'aged' horse) dogs and cats put down in shelters all over the US every week?

PS: Unadoptable does exist. You must not have been paying very much attention in those eight years of volunteering if those rose colored glasses are still firmly over your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                        X