• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Euthanasia in Horse Rescues

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by seeuatx View Post
    One more thing and then I am done feeding the troll...

If you honestly believe that every horse is wanted and should not be euthanized despite soundness, age, or temperment.... you do it. You open a rescue. You try to solicit the needed donations. You end up taking on a 2nd or even 3rd job all while caring for these animals, just so you can pay the bills. You go through what few apps you get and try to weed out the people who plan on picking them up and making a quick stop at New Holland. You do the training, or hire some one who will take on rank ponies that have tried to kill people (I guarantee those trainers will be few and far between). You do all that, for no pay, and just see how long you can make it like that.

If you wanted to have some credibility, you would have come on and stated your issue and agenda against this particular place. You would not have tried to suck people into what might have been a debate. As it is, you are railing against what most will see to be as one of the good ones. If you want to throw yourself on the ground and have temper tantrums over the care of rescue horses, look up the threads on CBER and that one in Colorado. As it is, you have no argument, and there are enough real rescuers on here that do the grunt work every day that in the end you just look foolish.
    I don't want to argue with anyone. If you don't believe me fine. I'm not forcing my opinion down anyone's throats.

Arguing with people is pointless, as it only makes more flaming. Don't accuse me of anything until YOU'VE talked to the rescue yourself. I guarantee if you ask why they put those horses down you will receive 5 totally different answers from 5 different people. There are no straight answers as to why those horses were euthanized. The rescue doesn't have a legitimate reason.

Before I even posted this I asked the mod. for permission, so call me a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by evesadopter View Post
      I don't want to argue with anyone. If you don't believe me fine. I'm not forcing my opinion down anyone's throats.

Arguing with people is pointless, as it only makes more flaming. Don't accuse me of anything until YOU'VE talked to the rescue yourself. I guarantee if you ask why they put those horses down you will receive 5 totally different answers from 5 different people. There are no straight answers as to why those horses were euthanized. The rescue doesn't have a legitimate reason.

Before I even posted this I asked the mod. for permission, so call me a troll.
      They don't need a reason. Some asshat didn't want the horse. They end up in rescues because no one wants the responsibility. If said rescue thinks they aren't worth the time, energy and resources, they put them down. And they probably don't explain the reason in detail to everyone involved with the place. So step up and take the horses yourself.

Comment

I have nothing against humane euthanasia, either, because there are so many worse things that can happen to a horse. Here's a little taste of what horses, responsible horse owners, and rescuers are up against:
        http://www.tbfriends.com/
        Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

Comment

In my opinion, they are not doing anything wrong by euthanising unadoptable horses. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need to, but the truth is that there are too many horses out there that are adoptable that rescues don't have room for.

I think if you are so concerned about it, you should put your money where your mouth is and open up your own rescue. Then you can do anything you want with the horses

Comment

Having rescued, rehabbed, rehomed and retired more than my fair share of unwanted and abandoned horses, I know the money, time and emotions that come with this territory. When it comes to the hard reality out there, I fully understand the problems the rescues are facing. When it comes to my moral compass, I think the rescues that run their barns like the town or city dog pound, giving a horse a certain amount of time and resources towards rehoming, and then euthanizing them in order to manufacture an opening in the barn for another arrival is disgustingly reprehensible.

But that's the state of affairs in many of these rescues today. They got into this thing to rescue, rehab and rehome a horse, and that's how they wish to continue their operations. They do not wish to become retirement facilities, they do not wish to slow their rescue rate down further or change their conveyor belt rescue mentality by closing their doors for years until the horses are really at the end of their time and then are euthanized, and there are not enough homes and retirement facilities available to place or dump these horses on (depending on your point of view), even if they are willing to tolerate the rescues' restrictions and policies. Unfortunately, OP, that is the type of rescue you became involved with, and, although I wish you the best of luck trying to change this situation with this particular rescue, you probably will not be able to.

If you lack the funding to start your own retirement facility, I would suggest searching for a rescue that has learned how to realize its own size and limitations, picks its battles with more care, and has the resources or funding base to absorb and retire those horses it cannot rehome. Although the good ones are in the minority in this country, these rescues do exist, and are worth working with. I think you would be happier working in one of those over the long run. In lieu of that, I would suggest adopting horses as your own finances will allow, and learn to be at peace knowing you have done something to better the lives of a few horses in your own corner of the world. That alone can make quite a difference. JMHO.

Good luck in your work with horses.
            "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Chief2, fyi you might want to do some research on Days End before assuming anything. They're a good group

Comment

A lot of other rescues disagree with what DEFHR is doing also.
                Two simple questions:

First is the one you didn't answer - you claim that other "rescues" had offered homes for several of Days End's horses, so why are two of those horses still being "featured" on your website and video as being in danger of being euthed??

Secondly, in reference to the first question, and the quote from a later post of yours that I referenced above, exactly who are these "other rescues"? Do you know them personally? Been to their facilities? I'd like to know who you consider responsible and reputable rescue organizations, please.
                Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

Originally posted by silver2 View Post
                  Chief2, fyi you probably want to do some research on Days End before making those kinds of statements.
                  Boy, you got that right.
                  Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Chief2 View Post
                    Having rescued, rehabbed, rehomed and retired more than my fair share of unwanted and abandoned horses, I know the money, time and emotions that come with this territory. When it comes to the hard reality out there, I fully understand the problems the rescues are facing. When it comes to my moral compass, I think the rescues that run their barns like the town or city dog pound, giving a horse a certain amount of time and resources towards rehoming, and then euthanizing them in order to manufacture an opening in the barn for another arrival is disgustingly reprehensible.

But that's the state of affairs in many of these rescues today. They got into this thing to rescue, rehab and rehome a horse, and that's how they wish to continue their operations. They do not wish to become retirement facilities, they do not wish to slow their rescue rate down further or change their conveyor belt rescue mentality by closing their doors for years until the horses are really at the end of their time and then are euthanized, and there are not enough homes and retirement facilities available to place or dump these horses on (depending on your point of view), even if they are willing to tolerate the rescues' restrictions and policies. Unfortunately, OP, that is the type of rescue you became involved with, and, although I wish you the best of luck trying to change this situation with this particular rescue, you probably will not be able to.

If you lack the funding to start your own retirement facility, I would suggest searching for a rescue that has learned how to realize its own size and limitations, picks its battles with more care, and has the resources or funding base to absorb and retire those horses it cannot rehome. Although the good ones are in the minority in this country, these rescues do exist, and are worth working with. I think you would be happier working in one of those over the long run. In lieu of that, I would suggest adopting horses as your own finances will allow, and learn to be at peace knowing you have done something to better the lives of a few horses in your own corner of the world. That alone can make quite a difference. JMHO.

Good luck in your work with horses.
                    Thank you.

Days End keeps saying "We're not a sanctuary." But that never stopped them from keep other horses at their farm before.

To the poster right above this, You can do as much research about this rescue as you want. It doesn't mean they're a nice, innocent rescue. Until you've volunteered with them, and have seen the things that go on within the rescue, you really won't be able to understand the situation.

That's all I'm saying. Thanks to everyone who responded! If you ever want to get updates on the protest, you know where to find me.

Thanks again! ~evesadopter

Comment

Personally, I think the Days End euth policy (as stated on their web site) is eminently fair and sensible. It's not just one person making arbitrary decisions and it's done after careful consideration and with proper professional input. I feel that a lot of rescued horses have a lot of time, effort and emotion expended on them when it could be argued very reasonably that they should have simply been (HUMANELY!!!!) PTS when their situation was first encountered. Thus I am not against slaughter, per se - just against inhumane transport and treatment (of any animal).

Comment

To the poster right above this, You can do as much research about this rescue as you want. It doesn't mean they're a nice, innocent rescue. Until you've volunteered with them, and have seen the things that go on within the rescue, you really won't be able to understand the situation.

That's all I'm saying. Thanks to everyone who responded! If you ever want to get updates on the protest, you know where to find me.

Thanks again! ~evesadopter
                        Just as I figured; you won't answer two simple questions. As for "finding you" for "further updates", nope, not interested. I already know what I need to know, but apparently that's not the case with you.
                        Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

I'm not assuming anything about this rescue because I know nothing about it, nor do I wish to research it, period. I just don't see that launching an internet campaign against it is the most productive use of the OP's time and resources. She isn't happy with the group and isn't happy with their way of doing whatever it is they do,, and that should be enough to tell her to move on to more productive pastures, where she feels her talents, time and resources will be better utilized. That's it from my end.
                          "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Originally posted by BeastieSlave View Post
                            I saw Days End in action in Mississippi after Katrina. They sure looked like 'good guys' to me and I know for a fact that they put out a lot of their own money to be there and help out!

Did you see Days End, or did you see Allan? (no longer associated with DEFHR)

Not saying that I doubt Days End was involved at all, but I believe Allan Schwartz works for the Humane Society disaster rescue, so he may have been there on this organization's behalf, not DEF....

Comment

What is a protest and sign-in going to accomplish? You'll bring the list to the rescue and they'll what? Change their already decent and working policy? Suddenly decide to become a warehouse and retirement facility? Stop rescuing more horses that *can* find new homes easily and let them continue to be neglected, abused or sent on the now l-o-n-g road to slaughter? All so *you* can feel better about the two horses you got to know and now feel they should live thier lives out on the rescue's dime because you love them but aren;t ready or willing to take financial responsibility for them yourself?
                              Does that make sense? You want them to care for those horses forever and/or take the months and income to try training them better hoping they're trainable horses so YOU feel better about horses you got to know personally? And yet YOU won't try making a collection for adopting them yourself? Or are not out trying to find adopters for these horses? You just want to try to smear the excellent reputation of a rescue who is doing the right and correct things according to *most* responsible horse owners so they (in your mind) fold to your wishes and keep spending their donated money on currently unadopable horses...that's childish, unpofessional and ridiculous. Buy them, adopt them, find adopters for them, raise money for training them further...but don't try to force someone else who already saved them once to keep supporting forever because of your emotions.
                              Why have you not taken them? I'm guessing either you can't afford them or they won't adopt them to you because you're not capable of safely handling them. In either instance...your point becomes moot.
                              I understand the emotions behind your feelings...but it's time to grow up and face reality. And stop trying to discredit a VERY reputable organization...if I sign any petition it will be that reputable rescues have to give a sanity and maturity test to all potential volunteers.
                              You jump in the saddle,
                              Hold onto the bridle!
                              Jump in the line!
                              ...Belefonte

Comment

If you've got a problem with it - adopt the horses and take care of them yourself.

Or write them a check for 200K so they can keep the horses in the style you demand until they die of natural causes.

Otherwise, shut up.

I'm currently protesting a rescue who is euthanizing their horses because they are too old and lack training. Here's a link if you're interested:
                                http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/sto...ays-end-horses
                                Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

J Swan thats exactly what I think when some of the anti slaughter people flip out. It never works with them either.
                                  Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

OP,you need to volunteer at a RETIREMENT facility,not a RESCUE facility.Or,open your own rescue,and run it as you see fit.There are plenty of needy horses to go around these days.Good luck to you.

Comment

What are you trying to accomplish? Post inflammatory comments and get everyone to hate DEFHR so that they don't get more support/donations? You will have shot yourself in the foot, if your goal was to save more horses.

You say that DEFHR is a rescue, not a shelter. I have yet to hear of a shelter that takes in horses in any significant quantity. SOMEBODY has to shoulder the burden of unwanted horses. What should DEFHR start doing, turning down more horses? What of the new horses that will have to be turned down if they decide not to euthanize more unadoptable horses?

If I can fault DEFHR for anything, it would be for not screening and educating their volunteers more carefully -- your ethics and priorities and philosophy about horse rescuing clearly do not mesh with theirs, or those of 90+% of this board, and I am amazed that you lasted 8 years there.
                                      The plural of anecdote is not data.
                                      Eventing Yahoo In Training

Comment

Ok this is all I am going to say: I would rather see a horse that is too old, and unadoptable be HUMANELY euthanized, to make room for another horse... then for a rescue to turn down a horse that MAY be adoptable, then that horse to sit somewhere and starve, or be abused...

Whats better starving to death OR dying in your sleep?
                                        If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Savoy 8 View Post
                                          Ok this is all I am going to say: I would rather see a horse that is too old, and unadoptable be HUMANELY euthanized, to make room for another horse... then for a rescue to turn down a horse that MAY be adoptable, then that horse to sit somewhere and starve, or be abused...

The problem with this is when the line is not as clear cut...

Say Horse A is a 10 yo QH mare, not sound right now but could improve with proper farrier and veterinary care and maybe some supplements/medications. Horse B is sound and healthy, but is 25 yrs old. Who goes - who stays?? I wouldn't want to be the one to decide...

Comment

Working...
                                          X