• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who funds the horse slaughter lobby? All roads lead to AQHA and Agribusiness.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hadn't heard they were even going to do that on a temporary basis.
    Every month there are a couple that end up down in the "kill" pen so I assumed that they were still be shipped - either to Canada or Mexico.

Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
    It was a rhetorical question on my part.

Fact is, that while the Canadian plants earlier this year announced they would no longer be taking TB's, it was only implemented on a temporary basis.
    The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
    H. Cate

Comment

• er uh I mean luvmytbs............

Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
      I was actually trying to answer Echo's question - I mean jeez
      scuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssssse mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
      Since you've got all the answers - go for it.
      H. Cate

Comment

• Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
        I hadn't heard they were even going to do that on a temporary basis.
        Every month there are a couple that end up down in the "kill" pen so I assumed that they were still be shipped - either to Canada or Mexico.
        Locally the word was: "Hold all TB's until we figure this out".

Caused a few ticked off dealers/KB's.
        But the horses "disappeared" a couple weeks later.
        Guess "they figured it out".
        \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

• See, that's one of my major problems with the industry--say one thing, do another thing.

The EU flatly states: NO BUTE EVER IN THEIR LIFETIME ALLOWED. (Doesn't matter if it's true or not, whether you agree or disagree--that is supposed to be one of their major conditions.

TBs from the U.S. (and I'll bet Canada) have been found to have a greater than 90%--more like 98% (California) incidence of running on bute.

Yet they continue to go to slaughter. What other rules get bent regularly?

Comment

• Originally posted by betonbill View Post
            See, that's one of my major problems with the industry--say one thing, do another thing.

The EU flatly states: NO BUTE EVER IN THEIR LIFETIME ALLOWED. (Doesn't matter if it's true or not, whether you agree or disagree--that is supposed to be one of their major conditions.

TBs from the U.S. (and I'll bet Canada) have been found to have a greater than 90%--more like 98% (California) incidence of running on bute.

Yet they continue to go to slaughter. What other rules get bent regularly?
            'The Industry'?

Most TBs do not go to slaughter.
            For various reasons.
            Also, I don't think that there is a 90%+ chance of a horse 'running on Bute'
            I have looked through a few race programs in my time and while there is the * or (B) as foot note, I think I saw maybe one horse total with that on there.
            Do they get bute? I suppose that is closer to 100%, since it seems every horse person dishes it out lie it was carrots and apples.

But frankly, does it matter?
            The EU makes their rules. And heaven knows not all of them are really all that smart, but it's no different than the US.

I'd guess they test their meat, one way or another (since that is pretty much also an EU rule, or at least it was) so when it comes up positive, there are fields that need fertilizing and stamps to be stuck on letters.

The process I am concerned with is up to the moment the animal drops.
            What ever happens after, who really cares! If you eat horse, I suppose it's a concern, but when you don't?

Comment

• Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
              Locally the word was: "Hold all TB's until we figure this out".

Caused a few ticked off dealers/KB's.
              But the horses "disappeared" a couple weeks later.
              Guess "they figured it out".
              Fact is, that while the Canadian plants earlier this year announced they would no longer be taking TB's, it was only implemented on a temporary basis.

This is what you posted.

NOW it is..THE WORD WAS...Who said that word? Who was going to figure it out?

The Slaughter industry did NOT state anywhere I can find, that they were not going to take TB's

Your choice of word...they disappeared...IMPLIES an illegal behaviour...NOPE...they were sold..and shipped to slaughter if that was the case.

There is a track in Maryland, hub of HSUS that said any trainer sending a TB to a sale where it could be purchased for slaughter would be suspended...there MAY be a couple more.

THAT has nothing to do with the slaughter plants. They take the horses purchased for them and they prefer the heavier set rather than the lean and mean TB.

The availability of horses from Asia (Russia and territories) is wanning due to their industrial revolution. What looks like it is carved in cement will disappear next year or the year after.

However that is NO concern over here. Horses with "products" in them will be rendered for other purposes..same as any horse that is euthanized by a vet for an owner...

The only concern regarding "what might be in the meat" is due to the losing position of the anti slaughter crowd...and their numbers diminish everytime anyone says...since you are against it..then are you prepared to adopt them or pay for them out of your own pocket.

It is rarely the Industry that says one thing and does another...truly isn't relevant. It is the claim of what they have said by the anti crowd that turns out to be untrue
              The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Sorry I don't think that any anti-slaughter person feels they are "losing" the argument - they probably just get tired of trying to have a discussion with people who run around with their fingers in their ears going LA LA LA LA LA LA I can't hear you!!

Originally posted by Fairfax View Post

This is what you posted.

The Slaughter industry did NOT state anywhere I can find, that they were not going to take TB's

Your choice of word...they disappeared...IMPLIES an illegal behaviour...NOPE...they were sold..and shipped to slaughter if that was the case.

There is a track in Maryland, hub of HSUS that said any trainer sending a TB to a sale where it could be purchased for slaughter would be suspended...there MAY be a couple more.

THAT has nothing to do with the slaughter plants. They take the horses purchased for them and they prefer the heavier set rather than the lean and mean TB.

The availability of horses from Asia (Russia and territories) is wanning due to their industrial revolution. What looks like it is carved in cement will disappear next year or the year after.

However that is NO concern over here. Horses with "products" in them will be rendered for other purposes..same as any horse that is euthanized by a vet for an owner...

The only concern regarding "what might be in the meat" is due to the losing position of the anti slaughter crowd...and their numbers diminish everytime anyone says...since you are against it..then are you prepared to adopt them or pay for them out of your own pocket.

It is rarely the Industry that says one thing and does another...truly isn't relevant. It is the claim of what they have said by the anti crowd that turns out to be untrue
                H. Cate

Comment

• In some areas of the country that isn't happening much.
                  They can and do use other things.

H. Cate

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post

This is what you posted.

http://www.drf.com/news/canadian-sla...-thoroughbreds

Comment

• Thanks for the link!!
                      H. Cate

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                        Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                        It is rarely the Industry that says one thing and does another...truly isn't relevant. It is the claim of what they have said by the anti crowd that turns out to be untrue.
                        You have the anti crowd mixed up with the pro crowd.
                        The pro crowd is the one not able to back up their claims.

So here again - as already posted by jetsmom:

http://www.drf.com/news/canadian-sla...-thoroughbreds

Comment

• Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                          The process I am concerned with is up to the moment the animal drops.
                          Oh really?
                          Since when?

Comment

• My question is this: A large percentage (90%++ racing in California had raced on butazoladin) of TBs have probably received bute during their racing careers. Since the EU considers the presence of bute verboten and these are in effect "high risk" animals for bute, why would they ever consider slaughtering them in the first place?

Enough traces of bute have been found in exported horse meat from Canada to have been mentioned at least several times in European publications, so I would guess that this is a problem in the EU.

Now, if instead of slaughtering TBs for human consumption, they are rendering the meat, then wouldn't the companies have to pay next to nothing per head for the horses, making them impractical to ship any distance at all?

Hey, I would love to believe that there is a really good feed lot system put into place with great feed for six months, euthanasia if injured or not doing well. A lot of horses would probably feel the same way. BUT--I've been in Saskatchewan during a couple of winters years ago, and it sure wasn't a lovely climate to spend the winter in, and I doubt Alberta is any better. I remember temps down to -45 degrees, tales of people freezing to death in blizzards going from the house to the barn in a whiteout, and building a snowman on May 1.

The thing is that I would really like to believe all the factory rhetoric, but if they are "business as usual" with a product that probably has a +90% chance of contamination with a forbidden substance, why should I believe anything else they are saying?

And it doesn't matter what anybody personally thinks about bute and any side-effects--it is the consumer and the distributor's position that it is a forbidden substance (for the lifetime of the animal).

Comment

• thank you..I appreciate the information.
                              The Elephant in the room

Comment

• The Fort MacLeod plant has enough "certified" horses available to meet the standards of the E.U..

They also have a constant supply of marginal (unknown, however suspected) hroses that can be sold for zoo feed

Then they have the rendering horses.

When a buyer purchases at an auction..there are SO MANY HORSES..that the price is not higher for those with certification (I am sure someone will find examples but it is not a general point). Those horses are also going to be purchased for possible NON slaughter resale either in the U.S. or after they reach Canada.

I am sure we have people freezing to death here in Alberta however most farmer/ranchers have a system (ropes, fencing) so they don't get lost during building changes during a blizzard. It did occur however around 100 years ago until the Hutterites came into Canada and showed the system they had used in Europe.

The meat can be used for many NON human consumption purposes as can the hide, skulls (enormous artistic market for them after they have been bleached by the sun) hoofs ( I have one that was turned into an ink well for fountain pens) guts are used for animal surgery as they stitch well and also absorb after a period of time, hides are used in fashion and also for anyplace certain leathers are used.

The feedlot system has only been established over the past 24 months although there HAVE BEEN some small independent feedlots established over the years which brought it into the mainstream.

Horses imported with ONE certificate for the truckload MUST BE SLAUGHTERED within 96 HOURS..the others can be fattened..resold etc.

Saskatchewan does not have any equine slaughter houses and hasn't had since the last one closed in Regina around 1970
                                The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Usually here in the US when we have a horse that is hurt, we call the vet and depending on the situation, the vet will give you bute to give to your horse. It doesn't matter what kind of horse it is. I really don't think a lot of the RARA's even know the difference between a tb and anything else.
                                  I'm not understanding why they would especially exclude tb's for that - why not a working QH?
                                  But hey if it works for an OTTB.
                                  I don't know for sure whether all the info about this stuff in our food comes from anti-slaughter people or not but considering all the stuff that's already in our food?? I'm not anxious to have more crap be in it.
                                  Next on my Netflix list is going to be Food, Inc.

Originally posted by betonbill View Post
                                  My question is this: A large percentage (90%++ racing in California had raced on butazoladin) of TBs have probably received bute during their racing careers. Since the EU considers the presence of bute verboten and these are in effect "high risk" animals for bute, why would they ever consider slaughtering them in the first place?

Enough traces of bute have been found in exported horse meat from Canada to have been mentioned at least several times in European publications, so I would guess that this is a problem in the EU.

Now, if instead of slaughtering TBs for human consumption, they are rendering the meat, then wouldn't the companies have to pay next to nothing per head for the horses, making them impractical to ship any distance at all?

Hey, I would love to believe that there is a really good feed lot system put into place with great feed for six months, euthanasia if injured or not doing well. A lot of horses would probably feel the same way. BUT--I've been in Saskatchewan during a couple of winters years ago, and it sure wasn't a lovely climate to spend the winter in, and I doubt Alberta is any better. I remember temps down to -45 degrees, tales of people freezing to death in blizzards going from the house to the barn in a whiteout, and building a snowman on May 1.

The thing is that I would really like to believe all the factory rhetoric, but if they are "business as usual" with a product that probably has a +90% chance of contamination with a forbidden substance, why should I believe anything else they are saying?

And it doesn't matter what anybody personally thinks about bute and any side-effects--it is the consumer and the distributor's position that it is a forbidden substance (for the lifetime of the animal).
                                  H. Cate

Comment

• Oh FFS I don't know anyone who hasn't given bute to their horses. I've never been on a trail ride without someone having it handy.

It's SOP for hard working horses (jumping, endurance etc.) after a competition whether it's needed or not. Only my youngest horses have never received bute and they were NEVER competed.

Therein lies the rub with bute and the passport. EVERYONE uses it, has it handy. Not to mention all the other drugs most horse owners have in their medicine chest.

If people want to poison themselves with horse meat have at it. However N. American's not following EU specs well is so North American these days. Do we really want to be like China? Go buy your dog some Chinese made dog treats then.

Comment

• I had forgotten about that situation. It was announced as Ohio followed Maryland with a ban against any TB's going to an auction where slaughter buyers could acquire them.

I can't remember the details but there was some nepotism there with the woman who originally sold the horses and her trainer and the buyer etc. I think the slaughter plant "issued" that proclamation as a favor.

That said..I don't know if they have "officially changed" that philosophy. They haven't returned my call yet.

There is another plant in Ontario not owned by that company so maybe they are shipped there.

Gosh..Mary...I am so very sorry all of your horses have been so unsound.

In all of the years I have owned, bred, shown, raced TB's, Arabs and ASB's (didn't race them)..I have only had a half dozen who have required Bute..and the one was just a month ago for a colt with a shoulder injury.

We don't use Bute except as a last resort, as we want the horse to stay OFF the injured leg.

Gosh..you even have to carry it for a trail ride? Wow...sorry to hear that
                                      The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Gee Fairfax so glad you've never had a horse that required a NSAID, of course you have to actually have to use horses YOURSELF in order to know if they would need such things.

Who said ANYTHING about an injured leg?

ETA apparently you've never been on a trail ride outside an open field overnight for days. Talk about cherry picking....

Comment

• Exactly.

Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                                          Oh FFS I don't know anyone who hasn't given bute to their horses. I've never been on a trail ride without someone having it handy.

It's SOP for hard working horses (jumping, endurance etc.) after a competition whether it's needed or not. Only my youngest horses have never received bute and they were NEVER competed.

Therein lies the rub with bute and the passport. EVERYONE uses it, has it handy. Not to mention all the other drugs most horse owners have in their medicine chest.

If people want to poison themselves with horse meat have at it. However N. American's not following EU specs well is so North American these days. Do we really want to be like China? Go buy your dog some Chinese made dog treats then.
                                          H. Cate

Comment

Working...
                                          X