• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who funds the horse slaughter lobby? All roads lead to AQHA and Agribusiness.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First line reads OPEN MINDED uh hello?? Hello anyone there?

    Originally posted by Bluey View Post
    Maybe this would help:


    ---Robert H. Ennis, author of The Cornell Critical Thinking Tests, offers this very streamlined version of what is a good critical evaluator:

    -Open-minded and mindful of alternatives.
    -Tries to be well-informed.
    -Judges well the credibility of sources.
    -Identifies conclusions, reasons and assumptions.
    -Judges well the quality of an argument, including the acceptability of its reasons, assumptions and evidence.
    -Can well develop and defend a reasonable position.
    -Asks appropriate clarifying questions.
    -Formulates plausible hypotheses; plans experiments well.
    -Defines terms in a way appropriate for the context.
    -Draws conclusions when warranted, but with caution.
    -Integrates all items in this list when deciding what to believe or do."---
    The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
    H. Cate

    Comment


    • Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
      First line reads OPEN MINDED uh hello?? Hello anyone there?

      Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
      You and Bluey really want to point fingers about bully arguments?? Wow

      Again, you can't refute the argument, you stoop to personal attacks.

      The bully argument is that somebody feels it's wrong/abusive/whatever nobody else gets to do it.

      I don't like cake so you shall have non either. However, the money people behind it are going the extra step: I am allowed to have it, because I am special, but you are not. Like that PETA chick and her insulin.

      Ok, let me see: I feel hunters are wrong and the constant jumping is cruel to the horse. So you must stop. Or Jumping. After all Jumper trainers kill - no - murder their horses for the insurance money.....H/J must be banned.

      Are we making any progress in the fallacy of the argument?

      I know....butbutbut

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Echo View Post
        adulterated defined in the Meat Inspection Act under 601(m)
        http://www/fda.gov/RegulatoryInforma.../ucm148693.htm

        Theft by fraud and deception is illegal.

        No authority wants to address any part of the horse slaughter system. The FDA has told me it is not their responsibility, but apparently they didn't tell the CFIA the same thing. Of course it took them a YEAR to issue a 'warning' letter.

        • WARNING LETTER, CIN-12-312058-26: July 9, 2012, Mr. Ronald A. Andio, Owner
        http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Enforcement.../ucm313462.htm


        The CFIA is the U.S. equivilent to FSIS. They are responsible for the border inspection and plant inspectors.


        Didn't you willingly give( sell) your 2 horses to these people? How is that deception? If you were so worried about them why did you give them up to begin with. The sad fact is you have no right to say what happens to any horse you don't own anymore. If someone promises a forever home and turns around and does something else with the horse that is their right. If you want to control what happens to them,then keep your horse.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Bluey View Post
          Really?

          Do I need to explain what "genetically engineered" is, or can you look that up all by yourself?
          Oh wah so I misspoke. Easier to type than... purposely changing the genetic tendencies by selective breeding. Not "natural" selection. Blah blah blah. I already knew what ever I wrote you would nit pick it to death.

          I worked in the slaughter industry. 50 hours a day 5 days a week for 2 years. I've delivered a friends horse to a slaughter buyer. I've personally known 2 kill buyers. I've had many friends sell their horses into that market. I even horse camped last week-end with a widely known kill buyers/traders daughter. I think I know my way around the slaughter industry just a wee bit.

          Anyone with ANY sense of empathy could NEVER in a million years (sense of empathy for other living creatures besides themselves as a key phrase, you know that little emotion that makes us "different' from mere animals) allow their personal horses to go to slaughter. A true horseman could never watch the process without an emotional response. Hell I'm going so far as to say a true human SHOULDN'T be able to passively if they believe that horses can feel pain,fear and not regard them as a just a commodity.

          Hell most even wouldn't eat meat if they've seen what I've seen. I couldn't eat pork for many years. And they do still, yard, slaughter, grade, inspect it they same way today.

          Buy local or grow your own.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by baxtersmom View Post
            I do own a horse, and no, I would not breed one, since there ARE TOO DAMNED MANY ALREADY.

            And talk about false analogies... I don't *make* cars. Breeders MAKE horses..
            Actually horses make horses.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
              NONE of you...AGAIN...NONE of you have been to a Canadian slaughter plant. Period
              And I don't think any of "us" ever claimed to have been to a plant.

              My "field of espertise" are auctions, hauling and local collection stations/feedlots.
              The abuse horses are subjected to on the front end of slaughter is enough for me to have an opinion on the entire process.

              I do however believe that the videos presented to the CFIA were not altered and therefore use them to form an opinion of the actual process. In addition Dr. Grandins comments after she reviewed the same, support my opinions.

              The other source confirming my personal observations are the pictures released by the USDA via a FOIA.
              The USDA does state that a lot of the conditions in which the horses arrived at Beltex (that's where the USDA took the pictures) can be attributed to the owners of the animals.

              Obviously one would agree that elf feet would not have grown during the horse's time with a kill buyer.
              However, injuries like broken limbs, eyes hanging out of their sockets, foreheads ripped wide open, is not the way these horses arrived at the auction.

              Therefore the "finger pointing" by the USDA is for the most part directed at the "suppliers".
              ************************
              \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

              Comment


              • Again the pot calls the kettle. There is no discussion or even an argument talk about emptional. You and Bluey almost always lead with the personal attacks. We get to where we agree that most of us would be ok with the local abbatoir but that isn't good enough for the pro slaughter side. We absolutely must think the way you do and if that is not bullying I'm not sure what is.


                QUOTE=Alagirl;6558859]Again, you can't refute the argument, you stoop to personal attacks.

                The bully argument is that somebody feels it's wrong/abusive/whatever nobody else gets to do it.

                I don't like cake so you shall have non either. However, the money people behind it are going the extra step: I am allowed to have it, because I am special, but you are not. Like that PETA chick and her insulin.

                Ok, let me see: I feel hunters are wrong and the constant jumping is cruel to the horse. So you must stop. Or Jumping. After all Jumper trainers kill - no - murder their horses for the insurance money.....H/J must be banned.

                Are we making any progress in the fallacy of the argument?

                I know....butbutbut[/QUOTE]
                The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                H. Cate

                Comment


                • I watched chickens being done years ago. Chop the head throw the body
                  Didn't bother me in the least. When they put them in the pot so they could pluck them?? That was the most awful smell in the world. I didn't eat chicken for 10 years.
                  I ended up liking rabbit they were much cleaner than chickens. They used to have demos of how they killed rabbits live at the fair. They don't do that anymore. The rabbit had no clue no muss no fuss.
                  So I totally understand what you are saying

                  Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                  Oh wah so I misspoke. Easier to type than... purposely changing the genetic tendencies by selective breeding. Not "natural" selection. Blah blah blah. I already knew what ever I wrote you would nit pick it to death.

                  I worked in the slaughter industry. 50 hours a day 5 days a week for 2 years. I've delivered a friends horse to a slaughter buyer. I've personally known 2 kill buyers. I've had many friends sell their horses into that market. I even horse camped last week-end with a widely known kill buyers/traders daughter. I think I know my way around the slaughter industry just a wee bit.

                  Anyone with ANY sense of empathy could NEVER in a million years (sense of empathy for other living creatures besides themselves as a key phrase, you know that little emotion that makes us "different' from mere animals) allow their personal horses to go to slaughter. A true horseman could never watch the process without an emotional response. Hell I'm going so far as to say a true human SHOULDN'T be able to passively if they believe that horses can feel pain,fear and not regard them as a just a commodity.

                  Hell most even wouldn't eat meat if they've seen what I've seen. I couldn't eat pork for many years. And they do still, yard, slaughter, grade, inspect it they same way today.

                  Buy local or grow your own.
                  The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                  H. Cate

                  Comment


                  • Mary..please don't tell me how to work 50 hours per day as I am already tired working 18 hours per day.

                    IF a person is so very against slaughter, then they should not deliver their friends horse to slaughter.

                    Stand your ground and refuse.

                    Demand that person pay for a vet to euthanize

                    Why would you have friends who are kill buyers? I don't have friends who are child abusers.... you have claimed slaughter is abuse

                    You have many friends who SELL their horses to slaughter....If I was against slaughter I would not associate with any of them.

                    Was the slaughter plant you worked for...beef...???? or equine??? Just curious as you never mentioned it before on any forum I remember you posting on...

                    I guess slaughter is ok for YOU to deliver a horse to...for YOUR FRIENDS to sell their horses to or for YOU to hang out with kill buyers...but you want EVERYONE ELSE...to be denied the OPTION of slaughter.

                    Double standard or just double speak?
                    The Elephant in the room

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
                      I watched chickens being done years ago. Chop the head throw the body
                      Didn't bother me in the least. When they put them in the pot so they could pluck them?? That was the most awful smell in the world. I didn't eat chicken for 10 years.
                      I ended up liking rabbit they were much cleaner than chickens. They used to have demos of how they killed rabbits live at the fair. They don't do that anymore. The rabbit had no clue no muss no fuss.
                      So I totally understand what you are saying
                      I watched the local butcher guy kill and slaughter our cattle. Not a big deal in the least. Quick and painless. I watched a local guy shoot my old mare 2 years ago. But then THAT isn't the problem it's all that happens before they hit the found for the last time.

                      When my dad, a depression era 4th gen. farmer, shipped our boss cow, my pet, the cow that helped us immensely when we had to rotate pastures, who would come when called and bring the whole wild herd with her, to slaughter, he told me he regretted it and should never have done it. A man who NEVER admitted he was wrong about anything....That was saying a lot.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                        Oh wah so I misspoke. Easier to type than... purposely changing the genetic tendencies by selective breeding. Not "natural" selection. Blah blah blah. I already knew what ever I wrote you would nit pick it to death.

                        I worked in the slaughter industry. 50 hours a day 5 days a week for 2 years. I've delivered a friends horse to a slaughter buyer. I've personally known 2 kill buyers. I've had many friends sell their horses into that market. I even horse camped last week-end with a widely known kill buyers/traders daughter. I think I know my way around the slaughter industry just a wee bit.

                        Anyone with ANY sense of empathy could NEVER in a million years (sense of empathy for other living creatures besides themselves as a key phrase, you know that little emotion that makes us "different' from mere animals) allow their personal horses to go to slaughter. A true horseman could never watch the process without an emotional response. Hell I'm going so far as to say a true human SHOULDN'T be able to passively if they believe that horses can feel pain,fear and not regard them as a just a commodity.

                        Hell most even wouldn't eat meat if they've seen what I've seen. I couldn't eat pork for many years. And they do still, yard, slaughter, grade, inspect it they same way today.

                        Buy local or grow your own.
                        I answered to that before.
                        I don't believe you have been in a horse slaughter plant and watched horses killed there.
                        If you had, you would understand that, other than the rare horse, they walk down the chute and never know what hit them, drop there, just as they do when a vet gives an injection, except some do fuss a bit when injected.
                        Very rarely a horse is fighting around or is missed, other than the rare case, some times not once for days.

                        If a shift has horses acting up, the whole slows down and the foreman gets the problem solved quickly, so that doesn't happen again.

                        That is why I say bunk to your story of how horses feel so terrible, when they clearly are not aware at all, neither are cattle, that they are going to be killed.

                        As for sad, yes, it is immensely sad to see anything killed, in a slaughter plant, in the highway when you pass a bad wreck, even on a TV movie.

                        We need to learn to be pragmatic and understand that there is a time and there is a place where death will happen and that is sad, but it is the way the world works.

                        At least in a horse slaughter plant the horses are used one more time after dead, not made into a poisonous carcass and so a liability to be disposed off, as so many are when euthanized by a vet.
                        Very sad that we are coming to, having as we always will unwanted horses, to wantonly killing them today in "euthanizing clinics" and handle them as trash.

                        Who could think that makes any sense at all, when processed in a slaughter plant we could use them one more time as the natural, renewable resource some horses have always been for us?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                          Mary..please don't tell me how to work 50 hours per day as I am already tired working 18 hours per day.

                          IF a person is so very against slaughter, then they should not deliver their friends horse to slaughter.

                          Stand your ground and refuse.

                          Demand that person pay for a vet to euthanize

                          Why would you have friends who are kill buyers? I don't have friends who are child abusers.... you have claimed slaughter is abuse

                          You have many friends who SELL their horses to slaughter....If I was against slaughter I would not associate with any of them.

                          Was the slaughter plant you worked for...beef...???? or equine??? Just curious as you never mentioned it before on any forum I remember you posting on...

                          I guess slaughter is ok for YOU to deliver a horse to...for YOUR FRIENDS to sell their horses to or for YOU to hang out with kill buyers...but you want EVERYONE ELSE...to be denied the OPTION of slaughter.

                          Double standard or just double speak?
                          Jeez other than the camping, did you think I just did all that yesterday? Do you think I was just born knowing all I NOW know about the slaughter pipeline? I've had long full life, and have NOT stopped learning about anything. I don't practice double-speak or double standard that is all YOUR department.

                          So I should shun the kill buyers daughter? Hmmmm interesting...
                          Last edited by sunridge1; Sep. 14, 2012, 05:34 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                            butbutbut

                            However, your argument relies on emotions which can't be debated. That is the long and the short of it. But emotions cannot be allowed into policy making. It leads to bad law. And bad law is no good to anybody.
                            ALL of our laws are based on what we - the majority - as a nation, "believe" or "feel" is moral and decent.

                            If you wanted to end your friend's life, or even not your 'friend' - would you pick lethal injection or bashing in the skull - hopefully on the first attempt?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                              Considering that I don't know you from Adam's dog, I take past performance as indicator and remain skeptic about your experience.
                              Well, you missed your chance.

                              Approximately eight years ago I put an invite on COTH for anyone to join me going to an auction.

                              One, just one, accepted my invitation. She was "on the fence".

                              She drove 5 hours, booked into a hotel close to the auction, from where I picked her up.

                              We spent hours looking at the horses in the kill pen, watching the auction and the 'transactions' after.
                              I explained the process, pointed out the 'players' and left the rest up to her own interpretation.

                              Even though we were there until the wee hours, she decided to return by herself early the next morning to see what had happened to the horses that had been left there by some of the buyers.

                              Later she called to let me know, she was no longer on the fence.
                              IIRC she did post her thoughts and conclusions here on COTH after the trip.

                              And no, I did not pay off the auction workers or kill buyers to handle the horses in an unprofessional and inhumane manner.
                              ************************
                              \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

                              Comment


                              • My point, Mary, is if someone calls slaughter all the names in the book...says it is cruel, etc. then they should not support it and if you truly feel strongly about it..don't hang out with those who use it OR deliver their horses.

                                I am sure you tried to talk your friends out of shipping their horse or having you deliver it...

                                If you want to ban if for others...then consistency is required.

                                No more...no less
                                The Elephant in the room

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
                                  Approximately eight years ago I put an invite on COTH for anyone to join me going to an auction.

                                  One, just one, accepted my invitation. She was "on the fence".

                                  She drove 5 hours, booked into a hotel close to the auction, from where I picked her up.

                                  We spent hours looking at the horses in the kill pen, watching the auction and the 'transactions' after.
                                  I explained the process, pointed out the 'players' and left the rest up to her own interpretation.

                                  Even though we were there until the wee hours, she decided to return by herself early the next morning to see what had happened to the horses that had been left there by some of the buyers.

                                  Later she called to let me know, she was no longer on the fence.
                                  IIRC she did post her thoughts and conclusions here on COTH after the trip.

                                  And no, I did not pay off the auction workers or kill buyers to handle the horses in an unprofessional and inhumane manner.
                                  I worked in juvenile probation and apprehension for many years. I saw DEAD babies, children etc. Tragic for sure...but not ALL parents beat their children...not all foster homes starve them and tie them up in closets.

                                  I am not against people having children.

                                  There are good and bad people.

                                  I have been to many auctions including Innisfail which is huge and have watched day after day...everything from broncs for rodeos to feeder horses run through. There have been wonderful handlers and stock men and there have been not so wonderful handlers and stock men

                                  You want a higher standard imposed than would ever be required of an owner. Bet you know owners who are mean people...doesn't mean you have to follow their lead nor should that disuade others from owning horses.

                                  I am sorry your experiences have ALL been negative.
                                  The Elephant in the room

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                                    I am sorry your experiences have ALL been negative.
                                    Where did I ever state ALL????
                                    I have always used MOST, as that is the case.

                                    Out of the seven regular KB's at 'my auction', there was one who went above and beyond to ensure the humane, calm and safe treatment of his horses once he took possession of them.

                                    He also stopped shipping horses to slaughter when TX shut down and only returned to the auction for another three months during which he purchased a few well trained riding horses in the 1K range.
                                    ************************
                                    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                                      My point, Mary, is if someone calls slaughter all the names in the book...says it is cruel, etc. then they should not support it and if you truly feel strongly about it..don't hang out with those who use it OR deliver their horses.

                                      I am sure you tried to talk your friends out of shipping their horse or having you deliver it...

                                      If you want to ban if for others...then consistency is required.

                                      No more...no less
                                      erm... that is just plain BS. Not a requirement, except maybe to you.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Echo View Post
                                        ALL of our laws are based on what we - the majority - as a nation, "believe" or "feel" is moral and decent.

                                        If you wanted to end your friend's life, or even not your 'friend' - would you pick lethal injection or bashing in the skull - hopefully on the first attempt?
                                        My Friend Flicka was a fiction book...not a reality show.
                                        The Elephant in the room

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                                          erm... that is just plain BS. Not a requirement, except maybe to you.
                                          The art of double speak

                                          You support and anti slaughter crowd and want slaughter of equines banned and yet, you drive your friends horse to the slaughter plant.

                                          Ever thought of becoming a Democrat?
                                          The Elephant in the room

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X