• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

CL Horse - What's on his nose?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CL Horse - What's on his nose?

http://showhorsegallery.com/random/cremellohorse.jpg
    http://showhorsegallery.com/random/cremellohorse2.jpg

ALSO FOR SALE IS A 3 YEAR OLD CARMELLO STUD WITH NO PAPERS. SOLID WHITE WITH BLUE EYES. PRINCE IS BROKE AND RIDABLE AND DOES NOT ACT LIKE A STALLION AT ALL. HE IS CALM AND WILL PLAY WITH YOU SOMETIMES. HE IS A BIG OLD BABYAND HAS NOT HAD ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS SINCE BORN. WE ARE ASKING $500 A PIECE FOR THESE TWO HORSES
    This guy is obviously underweight and sad looking. Is that a sore on his nose or just dirt?

Also, is this a viable upgrade and flip? I'd probably offer $0-$100 if I tried to get him seeing how he'd need to be gelded.

Looks like dirt. Poor guy, his pink nose is getting sunburnt. I would lowball, and geld since he has no papers.

Comment

looks like a dirty halter rub to me...
      Saddle Tree Acres

Comment

That poor guy. There is no telling what is going on with that horse's nose or the rest of his body. What a sick/sad situation. The horse is malnurished...they might be willing to give him away if you inquire.

Comment

Carmello? LOL

Poor guy probably doesn't have the energy to act up.

It's hard to tell in the picture if it's a rub or dirt.

In today's market, I don't see you making much if anything trying to flip him. Of course I'm in Texas. The market might be better where you are.

He could use definitely use an upgrade.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by dacasodivine View Post
            Carmello? LOL

Poor guy probably doesn't have the energy to act up.

It's hard to tell in the picture if it's a rub or dirt.

In today's market, I don't see you making much if anything trying to flip him. Of course I'm in Texas. The market might be better where you are.

He could use definitely use an upgrade.
            I don't care about making money. I would consider it a success if I was able to re-sell him and only loose a couple hundred dollars.

The market here is not consistent. My concern is that his color would make him harder to re-sell. Maybe if he was a breeding quality specimen the color would be a bonus but for a Gelding is seems like a strike against him.

I'd be happy to get him, geld him, train him up a bit and try to find him a new home but I don't want to get stuck with him long term or lose a ton of money.

Comment

It looks like a combination of dirt and a halter rub. Like they left one on until he got some rain rot/fungus under it and took it off.

Poor guy is right. He looks like he could be a tough horse to flip. He gives me the impression of being a smaller horse. With weight me might perk on up, maybe a bit too much. With his coat color and eye color people either love cremellos and/or blue eyes or they hate it.
              Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SonnysMom View Post
                It looks like a combination of dirt and a halter rub. Like they left one on until he got some rain rot/fungus under it and took it off.

Poor guy is right. He looks like he could be a tough horse to flip. He gives me the impression of being a smaller horse. With weight me might perk on up, maybe a bit too much. With his coat color and eye color people either love cremellos and/or blue eyes or they hate it.
                I have the same concerns about the size of him and his coat color. I want to help him if I can but while I'm willing to upgrade one Craiglist or rescue horse in the next few months (and he's probably the saddest I've seen since I've been checking in my area) I don't want to get stuck with a horse that is difficult to rehome. On the other hand I feel like I could help him.

Comment

So wait...does he have a soft carmel filling or something?

Yeah...his nose has to feel hot and crinkly. Poor guy. He needs sunblock, shade and a fly mask.

And groceries.
                  You jump in the saddle,
                  Hold onto the bridle!
                  Jump in the line!
                  ...Belefonte

Comment

My neighbor down the road breeds and sells AQHA cremello's, some going as far away as FL and CA. They usually sell pretty quickly.
                    http://www.kimbleranch.com/

I honestly think if you take him in, feed him, work him in the round pen to put some muscle on his butt, shoulders and neck, a bit of elbow grease into his coat so it shines up he could make a great resell.
                    Reiners and calf ropers love their small square horses...I know there isn't a huge market down in FL, but Alabama is just a half a day away. If he has a good temperament he could even make a decent kids horse. Can you imagine a little boy painting him up for Halloween, or Easter? (my friends white boxer was frequently made into an Easter egg with non toxic markers).
                    Katherine
                    Proudly owned by 7 horses, 6 dogs, 3 cats and 1 Turkey
                    www.piattfarms.com

Comment

Just check for any soundness issues, that could leave you with a burden...pay close attention to his right hind...he's resting it in both photos, but it doesn't appear to be a "lazy" rest? Sore maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by showhorsegallery View Post
                        I don't care about making money. I would consider it a success if I was able to re-sell him and only loose a couple hundred dollars.

The market here is not consistent. My concern is that his color would make him harder to re-sell. Maybe if he was a breeding quality specimen the color would be a bonus but for a Gelding is seems like a strike against him.

I'd be happy to get him, geld him, train him up a bit and try to find him a new home but I don't want to get stuck with him long term or lose a ton of money.
                        The color would be a turn off for me personally. Actually, more that he's cremello. I have a white horse (maximum white sabino?) but he has brown eyes. He's not photosensitive and doesn't burn like you would expect. That said, there are people who like cremellos and perlinos, so he might not be hard to sell. He would be my FIL's dream horse.

I know, that wasn't helpful. Sorry. I don't think you can really have any guarantee that any horse you buy will be saleable.

Comment

Dirty halter rub.

He's not that underweight. Maybe out of shape/condition. Or maybe I am just jaded by seeing far worse horses than him.

I can't believe he's not gelded. Please do the world a favor & get him so his hoo-hoos can be removed.
                          Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

Poor guy looks so sad! I hope someone gives him an upgrade!
                            Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Originally posted by DottieHQ
                            You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Comment

Originally posted by Stushica View Post
                              looks like a dirty halter rub to me...
                              My thought as well.

Um, geez. He's not severely underweight but he's thin and clearly not fit from working, but I don't think feeding up would fix built uphill, though it's had to say since he's not standing square in either photo. He might clean up nice and he'll probably look a lot better with some muscle on him, though I promise if you geld him from some circles you'll get "Why did you geld him, he's such a pretty color!" (Personally I hate cremellos but whatever, some people like them.) But he's not built well to make him worth breeding...if there's a market for little stock horses where you are AND he has the brains for it once he's in shape, yeah, maybe there's a price increase on him.

I dunno. How much of a gambler are you?
                              Author Page
                              Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                              Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Personally, from a former fulltimehorsefixerupper (now only have one fixer upper and we're keeping him), if you can swing it and know you MAY lose some money, I say go for him, but for buying really cheap. He's a perfect candidate. However, once he gets some groceries, even without his cojones, he may be a sweetie or a raving nutter or something in between. I don't think he'd be a nutter, just from his eyes, but I've been fooled a time or two.

Once he has some weight, you get the mohawk trimmed up, he gets some muscle, you may be pleasantly surprised what is under there. A good saddle horse is what you're aiming for. If he turns out to have some ability for, say, cutting (not likely, spitballing here), then you can turn him to someone who can take him further (or you can do it yourself).

Just keep an eyeball on the money. If you can give shots and worm by yourself, get a nice trim job on the hoofies and lots of elbow grease, you'll have a nice little saddle horse without too much $$ going out of the door.
                                GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

Actually, I don't think he's a true Cremello. The dark spot on his lip and, it looks like on his jaw, I think you have a Paint there. Maybe a cremello Paint?? I don't know what you call these types of Paints, but they are basically white with some dark color (like a deep gray) just under the white, if that makes sense.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
                                    Personally, from a former fulltimehorsefixerupper (now only have one fixer upper and we're keeping him), if you can swing it and know you MAY lose some money, I say go for him, but for buying really cheap. He's a perfect candidate. However, once he gets some groceries, even without his cojones, he may be a sweetie or a raving nutter or something in between. I don't think he'd be a nutter, just from his eyes, but I've been fooled a time or two.

Once he has some weight, you get the mohawk trimmed up, he gets some muscle, you may be pleasantly surprised what is under there. A good saddle horse is what you're aiming for. If he turns out to have some ability for, say, cutting (not likely, spitballing here), then you can turn him to someone who can take him further (or you can do it yourself).

Just keep an eyeball on the money. If you can give shots and worm by yourself, get a nice trim job on the hoofies and lots of elbow grease, you'll have a nice little saddle horse without too much $$ going out of the door.
                                    I've been looking at sale ads in my area and the only ones that are being given away or priced for under a $1000 are either trainwrecks or completely untrained or green broke horses or OTTB with bows or other injuries. The only ones I've seen for sale cheaply that are trained are very old.

I'm going to text the owner and ask about the height and see how negotiable they are on the price.

There's another CL mare I like too that is a 15.3 dark bay app with a small small blanket for $200 but she has no papers.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
                                      Actually, I don't think he's a true Cremello. The dark spot on his lip and, it looks like on his jaw, I think you have a Paint there. Maybe a cremello Paint?? I don't know what you call these types of Paints, but they are basically white with some dark color (like a deep gray) just under the white, if that makes sense.
                                      You might be right about that. It's hard to tell from the photos though. If he is I wonder if the Paint Horse Association gives out hardship papers for sterilized horses?

Comment

Originally posted by showhorsegallery View Post
                                        You might be right about that. It's hard to tell from the photos though. If he is I wonder if the Paint Horse Association gives out hardship papers for sterilized horses?
                                        I don't know about the Paint Horse folks, but the Pinto people do. http://pinto.org/information/12_registration.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                        X