Sport Horse Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why barbed wire and horses don't mix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rcloisonne View Post
    Me either. Seen what it can do. Horrifying. We were also told by the owner (50 + acres) it wasn't a problem and as a newbie at the time, I believed them.

Wasn't there 6 months when a gawd awful injury happened to a sweet, little Arab mare (not mine) that had been at this barn for 6 years. Of course, the owners denied all responsibility and I'm sure never mention the injuries that happen to any potential boarders.

Never again would I keep a horse at a farm with barb wire. Never!
    I saw a horse cast and die in a 14' x 14' horse stall. Didn't make me think that I should never stall a horse again, just made me think how horrible it was and what an unfortunate accident as millions of horses stay in stalls all the time quite safely.

I'm sure if this thread was about the horrors of board fences, the horror of cattle panels, pipe fences, hot wires, it would get the same number of exceptions raised.

Barbed wire is horrible, accidents happen. Barbed wire properly maintained in a large acreage without adjoining horses no more likely to have accidents than any other fencing in that type of set up.

Comment

Barb wire is never anyones first choice in horse fencing. When you are fencing in large pastures unfortunately it is the fencing that most average horse/ cattle owners can afford. I personally would stay away from barb wire if I could. I have housed my horses in large fields with barb wire with no problems. The biggest mistake made is in putting horses in small areas where the only option in getting away from another horse is to go into the fence.

Comment

Working...
      X