• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Uh-Oh....my bf asked THE QUESTION

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh-Oh....my bf asked THE QUESTION

Not the one with the ring! The every girls worst nightmare.....to quote him

"if you had to chose between getting married, having children etc and having no horses, or having horses and being alone for ever...what would you choose"

followed by....

"i know how much your horses mean to you..but sometimes i actually question wether they mean more to you than people"

The truth is, I think would rather be alone and have my horses than have a family with no horses. I know its just hypothetical, but what the hell do I say to that. What would you say?
    Boss Mare Eventing Blog
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

The truth.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

that sounds like an ultimatum.... or the beginnings..how long have you been together?
      ~Proud founder of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~
      ~Ribbon Ho~

Comment

False Dilemma

I'd tell him his question led to a false dilemma. It is possible to be happily married and also have horses, maybe just not with him : )

Comment

• Original Poster

I said "generally speaking I would rather be alone than not be able to have horses and ride"

he said "thats not normal..to chose a horse over having your own familly"

I said "maybe it's not normal for you. But a lot of people follow their passion, having your own family isnt as important to some people as it to others. It doesnt mean it isnt normal, its just not you"

then he said "yeh but to put animals before human beings..how can you say that is normal"

ughhhhhhhh. I fear where this is headed

We've been together for 5 months...
          Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
            Not the one with the ring! The every girls worst nightmare.....to quote him

"if you had to chose between getting married, having children etc and having no horses, or having horses and being alone for ever...what would you choose"
            Being alone forever??? I would be pretty pi$$ed at the implication that if you don't choose him without the horses, you would be alone forever...
            Last edited by tikidoc; Aug. 26, 2008, 12:27 PM. Reason: fix typo

Comment

• Original Poster

Ya I think it was just hypothetical.......or so he says
              Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

I would say time to move on. My husband of 15 years will rarely pull the 'that damn horse means more to you than me', but he knows the response to that will just make him more upset so he only says it when he's already heading there. It really isn't true, he means more to me, so does my son. They both realize though, that I'm no good to them or anyone else without my horse.
                Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

Ding ding ding -- the 'normal' word. Fear it. It is a sign of someone who wants to tell you how and who you should be. Since when is 'normal' a good arbiter of how one should live?

Controllers are a bad idea, whether they like your pony or not.

Tell him you are like Popeye. ("I yam what I yam.") You are who you are, with the values you have and the life you are living, and that if he doesn't like that, or thinks that you will outgrow it, he is sorely mistaken.

I am really glad that I was already riding and spending a lot of time at the barn when I met my honey, because that way, while he is not a giant fan of the time and money cost of this hobby, he knows what the score is, and doesn't expect me to give it up.
                  I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                  I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

Sounds like to me he's looking for an excuse to exit stage right.

Nip this in the bud now....if he wants to be with you he has to accept the fact that hroses are a part of YOU and always will be. That doesnt mean you dont love him any less or that you can not have a family AND horses.

If he's not willing to accept that, he's gone, period.

Yes, horses take a lot of our time and we have a strange passion for them, but that does not mean you are not normal or that you can not have a family, kids, job, boyfriend, whatever.

How closeminded of him to even think that.
                    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
                    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
                    Green Alligator "Captain"

Comment

I think this is time to establish boundaries. And it is time to ditch this guy, 5 months is not long enough to have been together, for him to resent your horses this way. Tell him that horses were there long before him and will be there long after he is gone, he knew that dating you and if he doesn't like it show him the door. Also point out you can do more than one thing and make it work. After all unless he expects you to stay home and be barefoot and pregnant why would you not be able to make it work?

Comment

Look at it this way; at least he gave you fair warning of what was to come if he DIDN'T ask. Now you know, and don't assume differently. Men don't usually bring these things up on their own unless it's really been given some thought by them, and it's bugging them.

So, you need to have a big sitdown with him, if you are that serious about him. Tell him what you need him to hear (along with the great part above that said that just because HE doesn't want you to have horses that another man WON'T let you, either-not alone forever just because HE'S not around). Then tell him that this situation has come up alot among other horsewomen and turned out very ugly. If he's serious there must be a pre-nup that explains that horses will be a part of your life and he can't claim later he didn't know this

I'm not seeing alot of positive out of this, but you need to do it now, so neither of you are dwelling on it, while it's still fresh. And if you must move on, so be it. Better now than later.
                        "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
                          I said "generally speaking I would rather be alone than not be able to have horses and ride"

he said "thats not normal..to chose a horse over having your own familly"

I said "maybe it's not normal for you. But a lot of people follow their passion, having your own family isnt as important to some people as it to others. It doesnt mean it isnt normal, its just not you"

then he said "yeh but to put animals before human beings..how can you say that is normal"

ughhhhhhhh. I fear where this is headed

We've been together for 5 months...
                          Run for the hills, Sister! If he's already asking you this you're headed down a path that many horsewomen find themselves on - dealing with a jealous-of-the-horses SO. I say get off that train now before you've invested more time in this relationship.

And for him to say, "That's not normal to choose horses over a family," is entirely unfair. You're not just choosing horses, you're choosing a lifestyle. Just like choosing to have children is a lifestyle. And guess what? You can do/have both. Lots of people do.

You're not choosing animals over people - that's absurd. Your horse network can comprise your "family". Not a traditional family but still, it's a family if that's what you choose.

I am now engaged but I lived many, many content, fulfilled years with my critters and my horse network...no man. And yes, my fiance knows I'd choose my critters over him and he doesn't take it personally. He knows I love him but I'm not willing to sacrifice who I am for him. I wouldn't be "me" without my riding and my dogs just like he wouldn't be "him" without golf. Yes that's right, he has his own hobbies and interests.

You need to find a mate that appreciates that the horses are an integral part of who you are, and who loves you for who you are horses and all.
                          Last edited by AEM74; Aug. 26, 2008, 11:52 AM.
                          "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lori B View Post

Controllers are a bad idea, whether they like your pony or not.

Tell him you are like Popeye. ("I yam what I yam.") You are who you are, with the values you have and the life you are living, and that if he doesn't like that, or thinks that you will outgrow it, he is sorely mistaken.

I seem to say that a lot...hmm
                            Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

Have an Ex-Husband who thought the same thing and asked the same question. Couldn't handle me loving my horses. He never understood he was just as important as the horses but in a different way. He always thought it was him or the horses and wanted me to make a choice Well since he is my EX you can see what I chose.

My DH of 6 years does know the difference and encourages me to ride and pursue getting back into horseshowing if that is what I want to do. He even reads, askes me tons of questions, watches horseshows on TV and comes to watch me train my new OTTB so he can learn about my horse world. Evenutally he wants to get his own horse and go riding with me I also support his hobby of woodworking. It is a give and take thing , you support each others passions.

Tell the truth, let him know where you stand. If he is a keeper he'll understand the different levels of love and passion and be supportive.

It is so wonderful to have a DH that supports the horsey activities and wants to be involved instead of having the horse argument all the time

My horsey time is so much more relaxing to me because I know a fight is not waiting for me when I get home. Now I get " hey honey did you have fun at the barn? How are the boys doing?" Big Nice Change

Comment

that's a warning for you!

i've been in a relationship for 8 years and i still hear digs about my horse hobby. it's not a healthy relationship, sadly i speak from experience.
                                i agree w/ those who said establish boundaries. if you're not overly invested in this relationship, maybe it's time to re-evaluate.

to me the choice is clear, horses and being single wins over any man who is hinting ultimatums
                                http://www.eponashoe.com/
                                TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Comment

Time to find a bf who understands what horses mean to a girl... I don't want kids -- I'd rather have a barn full of horses. Thankfully, my SO understands that

Comment

You can have a horse and still be normal.

People get so edgy about horses. My SO- he loves going to music festivals and taking photos. He's gone about every other weekend, always going to concerts. His hobby is as time consuming as mine. My brother does ironmans- he's always working out. His hobby consumes time like mine.

It's easiest to find an SO with something time consuming. Then they aren't waiting on you to entertain them. If you quit horses for him- you will be bitter- and I SWEAR that is what happens to some of the crazy pony moms.

My SO resisted my riding for a long time- and I kept to it. And one day he concluded that I always looked so happy on my horse- and what keeps me happy, keeps his life easy.

Comment

The "right" person would never ask you such a question. Been there done that with a guy that was jealous of the time I spent riding or doing anything else that didn't include him..even when he was busy.

There are other fish in the sea that would understand or at least accept the 'sickness" as i call it.

Comment

I find it amusing that he seems to only see the two options. Family no horses, no family with horses.
                                        In many cases there does not have to be a chose so why only two options?

Silly man did not know what side his bread was buttered on, hu?

Comment

Working...
                                        X