• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to proceed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to proceed

I'm hoping no one jumps all over me for this post. I'm seeking opinions because I'm trying to decide the best course of action at this point. It's a situation I've never personally been in before and am just not sure how to proceed.

There is a local "tack swap" sort of FB page for my area where people post clothes, tack, blankets, etc that they're trying to get rid of. Sometimes people will post horses as well, though moving anything is tough right now.

There's one gal who's posted a couple horses that I generally just glance at, but they look like the backyard breeder, not a lot of effort has gone into them sort. The ones I've seen in the past are unkempt - as in not groomed, feet a little long, odd picture angle sort - but not really in bad shape. They're just not from a show barn.

This past week she posted a mare for sale that is in baaaaad shape. As in, she's probably a 2 BCS and has feet that haven't seen a farrier in over a year. I don't know about her beyond what was posted, but as soon as I saw it my heart dropped to about my knees. The mare is clearly not getting the food it needs, but it's hard to say if it's neglect or there's something going on with her since the other horses I've seen posted are all in good weight.

I've looked up the animal control number for that county, and I've done some online work to find what I believe is the owner's address. I looked up her name online and found it associated with an ad in VAequestrian for hay for sale as recently as June, which makes me even more disturbed this mare looks the way she does. My fiance made note that it's possible this isn't a recent picture, though she's listed as a 2 year old looks that age in the picture.

I'm all set to call it in, but I have fears that by doing so the owner might disappear. I also don't want to call in someone who's trying to do the right thing for their horse by rehoming it, and know that they have a problem and can't feed them, etc. However, given that they have a young colt for sale, I have my fears that if I wait too long then the same could happen to him.

I guess I'm having that human moment of "Am I overreacting? What should be my next step so I don't ruin this person's life by being overly cautious". Anyone been in a similar situation? Can you offer any advice?

If animal control does their job correctly, they will screen out situations where owner is working to put weight on a sick horse, etc. If the situation is as you suspect, then a simple phone call could make a tremendous difference in this young horses' life.

We had animal control called on called on us and I was not offended in the least. At the time my pony was 38 and, as with most older horses, it was a daily struggle to keep weight on him. If someone did not know that situation it made perfect sense to call.

Comment

If your instinct is telling you there's something wrong, there is no harm in calling Animal Control. They can drop by and check it out. If all is well, then great. But if this horse or others are in danger, you will be relieved you spoke up. So no harm done in speaking up.

However, if you don't call, and the situation gets worse, your conscience will have loads of trouble with that.

So I would absolutely speak up, just in case. You will sleep better at night.
      Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I'd pretty much made up my mind to call, but you know there's always those second guesses and "what ifs" that come up. Might sound silly, I just don't want to ruin someone's life by overreacting. On the other hand, I *will* feel responsible if she or another horse dies due to neglect. So I'll call them tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by windsor81 View Post
          Thanks for the input. I'd pretty much made up my mind to call, but you know there's always those second guesses and "what ifs" that come up. Might sound silly, I just don't want to ruin someone's life by overreacting. On the other hand, I *will* feel responsible if she or another horse dies due to neglect. So I'll call them tomorrow!
          I think your trepidation at getting authorities immediately involved is a good instinct. Even *if* animal control does what they do with thoroughness and integrity (and that is not a small 'if') and finds a plausible reason for the horse's condition, it might sour this woman on doing the good that she does.

If you were far away, I would say to go ahead and call - but since you are local, why not drop by and check it out yourself?
          VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by michaleenflynn View Post
            If you were far away, I would say to go ahead and call - but since you are local, why not drop by and check it out yourself?
            Good point
            Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

Can't you go and look at the horse in person? That way you will know what's going on when you talk to AC.

Comment

I think I'd call it in. If the owner is legit and properly caring for the mare, there sholdn't be any repercussions for her

Comment

Originally posted by allintexas View Post
                  I think I'd call it in. If the owner is legit and properly caring for the mare, there sholdn't be any repercussions for her
                  There shouldn't be, but it doesn't always work out like that....
                  VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by allintexas View Post
                    Call it in. People who take care of their animals should not be upset if someone is concerned about a skinny horse. If there is a medical reason, then the owner should have a vet who will say that. When hooves look really bad, that means the horse is not getting proper care.

Our state ag agent handles horses here. He is terrific. I've called him several times about horses I have personally observed over months. He acted immediately and went back to make sure that the owners were feeding the horses hay. (They weren't, so he then cited the owners.)

My theory is that if someone has nothing to hide, they won't mind being checked. (Like our investigative reporters followed everyone in Atlanta. I told them to make sure they were there when I was working at midnight and on weekends as well as when I headed to the lake for sailing on Friday afternoons.)
                    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Aug. 10, 2012, 06:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Update?

Windsor81,
                      Did you call AC? Any response? Status of horse?
                      Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

• Original Poster

Here's my update: I finally had a chance to call in to ACO this morning. I left a message and within about 5 minutes they called me back. They asked me if "It was the place with the trailer", and if the horses were "Black Walking horses". I couldn't answer the first question since I'd only google map stalked them, but I *could* say that the horses listed were black walking horses. It sounds like the ACO knew the location and the horses involved. They asked if the horse was "behind the barn" and while I couldn't answer that, I just told them "I'm not sure, but in the picture it does appear she's housed behind a structure".

I mentioned the mare was probably a 2 or 3 on the BCS score from the picture and had severely overgrown feet. I told them I wasn't sure if they were just trying to sell the horses because they couldn't afford them, but I thought this warranted a look at the horse to check on her. The gal I was talking to said she would be in that area this afternoon, so she would stop by to take a look at them.

Since my first post, in attempting to get info for the ACO I found an ad by the owners on another website advertising hay for sale. I can only hope that perhaps they sold more than they should have, and ran out for their own horses. Also, the fact that the ACO already knew about this location makes me feel a lot better about calling in. Sounds like they have had issues in the past. It makes me VERY sad that they have a foal on the property as well, but maybe they'll find new homes for them.

This is one of those "If I had the money to pay to board two horses, the mare would be coming home with me" situations.

Also, for those who recommended stopping by, I agree with your recommendation. I debated contacting the person selling the mare and driving out there to see her and the location. Unfortunately, she live about 2 from me and my schedules is tied up enough at the moment that I don't have enough free time to get up there. So, calling ACO will have to suffice instead! Hopefully there will be some sort of resolution.

Comment

You did the 100% right thing by calling it in!

IMO, if you are going to do more than a drive by, I would be aganist going. Sometimes it's better to remain anonymous. Some people get really offended by calls and if you go poking around they then have a face that they can put to the phone call. If you are in the same FB group, then they can get your information as easily as you got theirs.

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens!

Comment

Good work. You did the right thing. With animal abuse, as with child abuse, you have to "make the call."

People too often do not want to "get involved" and therefore animals (and humans) often suffer. Someone has to do it and not rely on others to do it.

Obviously AC already knew about the horses and location, so you may have saved the horse by your call.

I agree that most people should remain unknown the the owners. I always give my name, and offer to testify, but I don't want the location of my horses known to animal abusers. AC and the ag agent know my horses, my farrier, and my vet. But I don't want the abusers showing up unless I'm at the barn.

Comment

• Original Poster

Update again: I haven't heard anything from the AC, but the gal posted 2 new ads on the FB page today. One was another picture of the mare, from a different angle and a little further away. Unfortunately, the angle doesn't show her weight or her feet as well, but she is clearly underweight. The second was a 5 month old colt who is also underweight.

I'm a little disappointed that they are in the situation they're in, but all I can figure at this point is maybe they're trying to get rid of the horses because they can't afford them? I'm also very disappointed at the outcome regarding AC quite frankly. But I guess, everything takes time and I just have to be patient.

If I hear anymore, I'll let everyone know.

Comment

Working...
                              X