• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Looking at boarding barns and the awkward "What do you think?" moment...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at boarding barns and the awkward "What do you think?" moment...

I'm currently on the hunt for a new boarding barn to bring my mare to. It's proving to be quite difficult! I've called a few and not been too interested after the chat, or they don't have anything available immediately, or I've gone to check it out and not been impressed.

So how do you handle telling someone you aren't interested after you've gotten your tour? I feel so bad! I feel incredibly awkward because I know BM is expecting or hoping for the "when can I move in?". Do you just politely say you'll call with more questions, you want to continue looking or actually voice your concerns?

Yesterday I loved the trainer/BM, the other boarders I met were really nice and the horses looked fantastic. But the place was just a little unkempt and disorganized for my taste as well as a bit on the far side for a less than stellar facility. I felt do awkward not knowing what to say at the end of our tour and conversations so I just mentioned I was a little concerned about the distance, and needed to figure out shipping arrangements for my mare, I'd call her if I had any more questions or to let her know. I think she could tell I wasn't super impressed though and I felt really bad. So how do you get out of the awkward conversation or am I just being too sensitive??

I think that you're being kind and courteous about your opinions. If the BM really wants to know what gives, they'll ask. I'm sure they're already aware of what needs improvements and that there are reasons for them not being done, which isn't your problem. Everyone's standards for what's acceptable are different and you shouldn't feel badly for setting yours high.
    "As one of those weirdos that always enjoyed the grooming tasks that most others didn't, Kirsten decided it was time to make the most of it and create Shear Convenience Grooming"

Comment

You're very thoughtful to be concerned about this. I would just thank them for their time, say you have several more places to consider and will get back to them IF you decide that they are the best fit.

All that said, I stayed for years at a place that was more than a little unkempt. But the footing was good, the people were great, and the price was right. You might want to make a list of what is most important to you and then use it to rate facilities to help you make a choice.

Good Luck.

Comment

You don't need to give a reason, just let them know you're still looking around. And thank them for their time, as prior posters have noted. Any BO/BM knows that means either you're undecided or not interested. That's sufficient.

Of course, if you do have a reason you can give that is non-judgmental - such as distance - that IS a polite way to let someone down.

I'm sure it's stressful. Good luck.
        Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I've never had such a hard time finding a barn! I feel as if I'm on a time crunch too because I really want to get my mare here and get as much ride time as possible before my baby bump turns into a mountain of a belly LOL

Comment

In the past I've always ended with "well, I have a lot of things to think about. If I am interested in moving my horse here, I will contact you by such and such date. Thank you for being a gracious host and for showing me around your facility"

But I also have a two-page questionnaire.
            www.destinationconsensusequus.com
            chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

PSJ, I am curious about your questionnaire. I LOVE when people actually engage me and ask me questions. The last two people I have shown my barn to were both almost dead silent the whole time, very strange and unnerving to me. It's very awkward because that leaves me to walk around stating the obvious, and trying to sell the place and my care, etc... Most people come in and exclaim that it is beautiful, etc...

To answer the OP, if I don't get the "when can I move in?", sometimes I get that awkward pause and a "well..." and I just smile and sweetly say "I'm so glad you could come out, if you have any other questions please feel free to call or email me. It was so nice to meet you and good luck in your search!" And I hand them a business card.
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

"Thanks very much for showing me around!"

Over and out.
                The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by atlatl View Post
                  You're very thoughtful to be concerned about this. I would just thank them for their time, say you have several more places to consider and will get back to them IF you decide that they are the best fit.

All that said, I stayed for years at a place that was more than a little unkempt. But the footing was good, the people were great, and the price was right. You might want to make a list of what is most important to you and then use it to rate facilities to help you make a choice.

Good Luck.
                  agree. you dont owe the BO anything except "thank you for your time" or, if you are interested "thank you for your time, i will get back to you in a week or so after i look at the rest of the places on my list"

that way you dont burn bridges

as for perfect - no place is perfect. and i have been known to board at some "rustic" places because the care is fantastic and the footing really good, all day pasture t/o, etc.

make a list of what is most important to you and what isn't so important.
                  Last edited by mbm; Jul. 10, 2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

In the past, I've said something like this: "Thanks so much for showing me around. I really like your (stall size/tack room arrangement/access to trails/pick something positive), and I'll be in touch when I've made a decision."

It helps when both BO and boarder keep in mind that the initial visit is a chance for both parties to get a feel for the suitability of the other--not every barn is a perfect fit for every horse/rider. There's nothing wrong with that, and no one should take it personally. The boarder should feel comfortable with the facilities/services and the BO, and the BO should feel comfortable with the boarder and BO's ability to accommodate boarder's/boarder's horse's needs.
                    Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
                      "I have a lot of things to think about. If I am interested in moving my horse here, I will contact you by such and such date. Thank you for being a gracious host and for showing me around your facility".
                      Excellent.
                      ::With age comes wisdom. Apparently "wisdom" weighs about 40 pounds.::

Comment

Say that your personal jury is out and you'll get back to them.

Comment

It is awkward and uncomfortable. Especially when you happen on a place that you know as soon as you open the car door, there is no way you're moving there.

Just keep in mind that it is more polite to give them an honest answer so they can continue pursuing other boarders and aren't waiting to hear back. You don't need to give a reason if you're not interested. I would usually leave the tour thanking them for their time and tell them I will let them know wither way after I see all of the places on my list and weigh my options. Then a simple call a day or so later to say "thank you so much for showing me around, but I have decided to go another direction" is all you need.
                          Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Comment

Originally posted by onelanerode View Post
                            It helps when both BO and boarder keep in mind that the initial visit is a chance for both parties to get a feel for the suitability of the other--not every barn is a perfect fit for every horse/rider. There's nothing wrong with that, and no one should take it personally. The boarder should feel comfortable with the facilities/services and the BO, and the BO should feel comfortable with the boarder and BO's ability to accommodate boarder's/boarder's horse's needs.
                            This, exactly!

I would assume that anyone looking for a new barn would not just look at one barn, they'd look at every barn that seemed like it might be a good fit (whether that's three barns or 13). As a result I'd just say something like "Your facility is great! I've just got a couple of other barns to look at and I'll let you know my thoughts after that" or something along those lines.

But don't forget, it's a two way street -- they should be vetting you as well.
                            https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                            Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                            www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

I always say "thank you so much for showing me around and answering my questions. I will let you know one way or the other by date."

Then I email or call and say that I am going to pass at this time but I am going to keep them in mind.

If I like the place and want to board there I ask if I can give a deposit to hold a spot and gat a copy of there boarding contract.
                              My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Comment

I'd like to see the questionnaire too! I now when I was looking for barns I had a good mental list of what I wanted to see and ask, but it went out the window at one barn when an employee yelled at me. Needless to say, I didn't board there.

Where I board now, I drove in and saw 1. centaur fencing, 2. giant arena, 3. cute barn w matted/lighted stalls, 4. friendly BO. I exclaimed "is that CENTAUR???" and blissfully wrote her a check after asking how much and what it included. Never looked back, love my barn.
                                COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

This is what I just went thru....maybe this will make you feel better!!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=360294
                                  www.trying2event.blogspot.com
                                  www.facebook.com/UltimateStormLARigsby

Comment

Originally posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
                                    PSJ, I am curious about your questionnaire. I LOVE when people actually engage me and ask me questions.
                                    It's available under links on my website.

I created it because I realized the majority of reasons I had left a barn were due to months or even years into the relationship I discovered something I didn't like... Coincidentally it was usually a "didn't ask, didn't tell" communication from the manager.
                                    It covers everything, from who feeds, water trough cleaning schedule, to why was the barn started, and what is the vision for the future.

Since using it, I'm at a barn I ADORE and after a year I'm still blissfully happy.
                                    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                                    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Honestly is the best policy. If you're not interested, thank them for their time but tell them you don't think it will work right then and there. Of course, be prepared for them to counter with reasons why it WILL work.

I say this, but I often take the non-confrontational chicken's way out and say I'll think about it and get back to them with a decision. Sometimes I follow through on my word, sometimes I don't...
                                      Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I'm not very good at hiding my feelings (and I don't try very hard), so I suspect most places I've looked at know exactly why I didn't choose to board there...

"Is that barbed wire?"
                                        "The paddocks are never cleaned?"
                                        "You only feed cubes?"
                                        "Is that your hay?"
                                        "So none of the paddocks have shelters?"

If I genuinely like a place, but something just won't work out for me, like distance, I usually just tell them. I looked at a lovely place a couple of weeks back but it was just too far. Another barn was nearly perfect, but the only "turnout" (meaning an area larger than their paddocks) was a fairly small arena, and I didn't think it was large enough for a horse to really run and work off some energy. It is a place I will keep in mind as a possible retirement situation though, because everything else about the place was nearly perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                        X