• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What's in your SmartPak and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in your SmartPak and why?

I took my horse to his new barn today, and I need have to change up my feed. He's been on 707 Formula alfalfa pellets, liquid Red Cell, powder electrolytes, Lubrisyn, whole oats, and some sweet feed. He's on free feed grass hay 24/7 with a hay net and half a flake of alfalfa for dinner. The new barn will do the same hay, but they will only do SmartPak for suppliments. SmartPak doesn't offer 707 Formula or the same electrolytes. I need to come up with a new game plan.

My question to the group is what's in your SmartPak and why?

My question for you is: why so many supplements?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

My OTTB just came off the track end of March. He is 6, in light/moderate work right now (ridden or lunged 5 times/week lightly) and is on 24/7 turn out. I have him on SmartCombo because my vet recommended a joint supplement because he raced for so many years. It also has hoof support cuz his feet are pretty typical for a OTTB - i.e. - not good. It also contains digestive and skin support, again, because he needs to pack on some pounds and his skin is very sensitive. I will probably add Bug- Off next month because he hates flies and people at my barn have had good success with it. BTW, he gets Triple Crown Senior twice a day and has loads of grass in his field.

Comment

Well, my horse's needs are quite different than yours (Morgan, small, pretty easy keeper), but her SmartPak has:

SmartCalm (to help with the Morgan ADD tendencies
        SmartResilience (horse has a history of joint/soft tissue issues)
        Smart Pak Vitamin E (vet recommends a Vitamine E supplement for all horses who do not get much opportunity to graze)

She's also on LymeSupport, which is an herbal formulation I buy elsewhere. I normally don't do herbal stuff, but have several friends who swear by this in our Lyme-endemic area.

She gets 2 quarts/day of Vintage Performance and eats about half a (40-45 pound) bale of medium-quality grass hay per day.

I tried SmartCombo Ultra for a while to see if her coat/hooves would benefit and if she would be less gassy. It did reduce the gassiness but I didn't see any other gains, and the gassiness I can live with. Also, it has flax seed in it, which oddly enough makes her stock up overnight.
        Last edited by quietann; Jul. 3, 2012, 12:21 PM.
        You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Willow's SmartPak consists of B-L Pellets and Probios.

She got kicked in the hock as a 5 year old (I think) and while she's totally sound and has perfect clean x-rays, I wanted to be proactive with her joints as I'm hoping to move up the levels with her.

She's on the Probios to keep her sensitive tummy in check.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
            My question for you is: why so many supplements?
            You got me! That is what he's been on as a racehorse. He moved from the track to his new show barn yesterday. I've been his exercise rider at the track for a year and a half. He's got the best brain of any horse I've seen, and perfectly sound. I'm not going to give him any time off and am going out today to ride in the arena for the first time, even though he galloped at the track yesterday. We'll see how it goes!

Comment

You still didn't answer my question
              Since he will no longer be doing what he did while on that supplement regimen, I would start over & reevaluate once he is settled in. (i.e. go back to just forage & see how he does. Give his brain & body time to come down from racing and THEN decide what he might need for supplements...if any!)

Comment

I'm a believer in "keep it simple" - don't get me wrong, I've had horses on supplements before. But I am a minimalist and believe that a healthy horse starts with the basics...good quality grass or hay, and if that doesn't provide the vitamins & minerals they need, supplement those.

I've had my ulcery mare on NeighLox, and still use it in certain situations today. I've also fed Triple Crown senior and Alfalfa cubes when she lost weight because of the ulcers. Once she was back to "normal" the supplements and concentrates stopped.

I'm sure when she gets older I'll need to provide additional calories through concentrates, but if it's not broke...

Comment

I don't currently have a horse but when I did (He was an OTTB, I had him from age 3 until he was 6) I had him on TractGuard. I did have him on Uckele's GUT for awhile but SmartPak stopped carrying that I believe. The thing that was the most important for me was maintaining good digestive health because at this particular barn the grazing wasn't all that great and he didn't always have hay in front of him. He had also had an upset stomach a time or two in the past and the vet said that a supplement for digestive support wouldn't be a bad idea. I think I also used Cool Calories at one point because he tended toward being a hard keeper. He was a young TB in heavy work though so I understood that he would need a decent amount of calories.

As far as oral joint supplements go, I don't know if I believe that they work. I did have him on MSM for a bit even though he had no issues at the time. It's cheap enough.

Electrolytes aren't a bad idea especially in this hot weather. But basically my SmartPak was a digestive supplement, electrolytes (if the digestive supplement didn't have those already in it) and MSM (anti inflammatory).

I'm not hugely into calming or joint supplements but people claim they have had success. I try to stay pretty basic unless the horse needs to be on something for a medical condition.

Comment

My horses do get quite a few supplements it seems like, but all have solid reasoning behind them.
                    6 y/o gelding in fairly hard work -
                    SmartFlex Maintenance, vet recommended he be on a joint supplement
                    SmartDigest Ultra, has extensive history of stomach and intestinal ulcers
                    Gleam & Gain Supreme 60, historically has been a very hard keeper and I've seen improvement w/ this
                    Mare Magic, to theoretically take the edge off

15 y/o gelding in light-moderate work -
                    SmartFlex Senior, for obvious reasons
                    Gleam & Gain Supreme 60, as he tends to be a hard keeper
                    Mare Magic, to theoretically take the edge off.

Aside from SmartPaks, both are on SandClear and Adequan as well. The younger gelding doesn't really need Adequan, but our vet strongly suggests it as a preventative measure.

Comment

VERY sensitive, ulcer prone TB:

SmartTendon - put him on it when he pulled a suspensory; have been afraid to take him off of it.

SmartGut - because of the ulcer-proneness. Has helped a lot (after initial 30-day treatment with fulled tude a day of UlcerGard).

SmartCalm - for the magnesium due to muscle tightness. It actually doesn't make him calmer at all. I'm considering switching to a different magnesium supplement, but why mess with what works?

SmartVites - because he does not get enough grain to meet his dietary needs (particularly vit. E and selenium).

He is also on Equithrive (not in SmartPaks) to address stifle issues.

Sigh. It's a lot. I know it's a lot. I wish it was less, but every time I take him off of one of these things, we have issues (with the exception of SmartTendon, which I have never been brave enough to take him off of!)

Comment

My guys are on zero supplements, because I don't think supplements actually work worth the money they cost.

If they aren't drinking enough I put a tablespoon of table salt in the feed.

If they have a joint problem I get it injected directly rather than hoping a feed through will work.
                        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I give Grand Hoof with MSM - that is my whole smartpak.

Besides that, pasture, grass hay, alfalfa pellets, salt and oil.
                          APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

My old guy is on supplements.

SmartFlex Senior (obvious)
                            Farrier's formula (he has crappy hooves)
                            Vit E/Magnesium/selenium
                            Smart Dark & Handsome (just trying it to see if it helps sun bleaching)

Comment

I am a do it yourselfer as my horses are at home. I give the following:
                              -ground flax seed
                              -farrier's formula double strength
                              -equitrol feed thru fly control
                              -quiessence (to just my flighty mare)

Comment

My 13 year old show horse:
                                -Cosequin ASU
                                -MSM
                                both to help with a bit of stiffness he has gotten as he gets older.

My 4 year old recently purchased OTTB
                                -Cosequin ASU
                                -MSM
                                -Uguard
                                -Mirra Coat
                                Cosequin ASU and MSM are for support, as x-rays have shown the beginnings of arthritis.
                                Uguard is for ulcer prevention (she was treated for ulcers when she was purchased off the track.)
                                Mirra coat (she had a poor quality coat when I first purchased her.)

Comment

SmartVite Performance Grass Pellets (horse doesn't get RDA of grain, so supplementation of vitamins/minerals is necessary)

Smartflex III pellets (15 y/o FEI dressage horse, needs all the help he can get)

Smarthoof Ultra Pellets (crappy feet)

Comment

15 Y/O Appendix gelding eventing at Novice:
                                    U-gard (at the suggestion of the vet)
                                    One AC (he's got anhydrosis)
                                    SmartLyte pellets for electrolytes
                                    Smart Omega 3 for his coat
                                    Tri-Amino for muscle building.. and I have noticed a difference in his topline since starting him on this. Even the vet/chiro commented on how good he looks (of course this was before he went through a major rain rot episode lol).

He only gets the One AC and the electrolytes from about the end of April through September. Discussed joint stuff with our vet/chiro and she doesn't really believe the orals are worth it so we're doing 5cc Glucosamine IM every 10 days.
                                    Custom Painted Brushes: spcustombrushes@gmail.com
                                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/SP-Cus...75042339173555

Comment

I used to have the crazy lists...but have become more pragmatic - mine do not show or work hard at all:

I have 6 horses, 3 are on nothing. 2 are on APF (and can't be without, the stuff is amazing for allergies) and one is on cosequin. That's it!

Comment

My guy is currently getting (although not all from SmartPak - either because they don't carry it or I can pick it cheaper locally):

VitaFlex
                                        Tri-Amino (just starting this)

Cocosoya Oil
                                        BugLyte
                                        1 tbsp of salt

all mixed into soaked shredded beet pulp
                                        http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

Working...
                                        X