• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Heads up---What will happen to the NY carriage horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    hackinaround is lynnwood now btw.
    Congratulations what was your point and what does that have to do with carriage horses ? ? Most people know that ; Lynnwood = farm name. Changed at the behest of my daughter whom the farm is named after

PSS C&C next time you want to "out" someone pick somebody who was trying to hide. If you were half the sleuth you fancy yourself to be you'd have noticed I didn't change any of my profile including pics/sig. Now even B_B knew you had to do that in order to pull of the switcharoo
    Last edited by Lynnwood; Jul. 22, 2012, 06:23 AM.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Comment

• Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
      When I was helping out the certain rescue, and found out from the mouths of the 2 people involved that they were not nice like they appeared to be on coth, I dropped out of specialhorses. Then about 10 months later, I tried to warn cothers. But I got flamed. A year later, voila! the rescue and her supporter were outted by others. In the meantime, they collected a lot of money from cothers. Not as much as they wanted me to get from a feed company for them, but a lot of money. (I refused to participate in extorting money from a feed company that was not responsible, just so someone could get the money.)

hackinaround is lynnwood now btw.
      I don't know what your truck with a rescue has to do with anything, but rest assured -- not only have we not asked anyone for any money, but there is a considerable amount of COTHers who have already come and met us for themselves.

Also don't know what Hack/Lynn's s/ns have to do with anything, either....

Edit: ....and I will assume I am correct about who contacted you, since you didn't contradict me...
      VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

• I'll give it one more try. Here's an article on how to use social media to your benefit.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111220194345.htma

You need a good story, a positive story, a story other than "the RARA's are coming". You can and should use the RARA line, but you need positive, uplifting input as well.

If I were you, I would start with one particular horse and tell his story. Maybe one who is heading for retirement. Tell that story and tell it well with lots and lots of pictures. Arrange for school tours of the stables and a carriage ride at a very reduced cost. Use it as a learning experience on horse care and health and promote the heck out of "giving back to the community." You need to be positive, not just solely negative. You need to make people want to like you, not just hate the opposition.

Just for me alone, I've gone from supporting you, to on the fence, to where I stand now, which is hanging on to that fence by a finger and the reason for the change is solely the way you have presented yourself on COTH.

Comment

• Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
          I'll give it one more try. Here's an article on how to use social media to your benefit.

You need a good story, a positive story, a story other than "the RARA's are coming". You can and should use the RARA line, but you need positive, uplifting input as well.

If I were you, I would start with one particular horse and tell his story. Maybe one who is heading for retirement. Tell that story and tell it well with lots and lots of pictures. Arrange for school tours of the stables and a carriage ride at a very reduced cost. Use it as a learning experience on horse care and health and promote the heck out of "giving back to the community." You need to be positive, not just solely negative. You need to make people want to like you, not just hate the opposition.

Just for me alone, I've gone from supporting you, to on the fence, to where I stand now, which is hanging on to that fence by a finger and the reason for the change is solely the way you have presented yourself on COTH.
          Alright! Now, it's getting somewhere! Maybe the drivers can get one of their own (I hope that's PC enough but don't know how else to say it) to do some stories, such as suggested. Start small and work your way up. Not like any of the drivers have anything else to do (!!) but maybe a collective effort. It will be hard, but, what's the alternative??

As for supporting to barely hanging in there, on the fence, seems to me, just watching the RARA's would offput anyone and steer horse people to supporting just about anyone who makes a living with horses. The time is coming, folks. The RARA's probably are showing up in other places and are well-funded it seems. So, you may not like everything the drivers do, but, the alternative is much, much worse.
          GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

• Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post

As for supporting to barely hanging in there, on the fence, seems to me, just watching the RARA's would offput anyone and steer horse people to supporting just about anyone who makes a living with horses.
            To a point. If it's someone who is determined to shoot themselves in the foot, I'd want no involvement.

The constant refrain of "come look and see for yourself" is no help either. Many people are not in the position to "come and see". The carriage industry needs make it easy for us to "come and see" without having to travel to NY.

Get someone with a little talent to video willing customers and carriage drivers. Make little vignettes of a child, an adult, a handicapped person, the terminally ill (use sympathy and empathy of your potential audience to benefit yourself...I'd be giving some freebies here) who always wanted a carriage ride, how much fun it was, how wonderful the horse is, how wonderful the driver is, what the horse eats, what he drinks and when, when does he go for R&R, what happens to him when he's ready to retire. Upload to you tube. Distribute the videos over social media. Do this over, and over, and over. Send the videos to the TV stations, especially the early morning local shows. They're always looking for filler. Eventually, you should get some of them calling you for short morning pieces. Work it. Make yourself interesting, accessible, funny, caring and humane for your audience. If you don't do it, the RARA will continue to drive the message. You need to change the message.

As an aside, if your drivers have a horse that's not in good condition...get that horse off the street.
            Last edited by LauraKY; Jul. 22, 2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I'll give it one more try. Here's an article on how to use social media to your benefit.

Thanks for the info Laura. Just so you know they did run such a story. The entire Clip Clop 2011 was based around Paddy's retirement to Blue Star Equiculture after 12 years as a carriage horse and BSE becoming the official retirement sanctuary for any NYC horse that found its self in need.

There was even an official retirement ceremony much like you and I are used to with show horses and race horses. With his owner taking off his bridle and handing him over to BSE. The media was invited and the RaRa's showed up in MASS to protest?? the retirement ceremony taking what should have been something touching and wonderful and turning it into a circus.

Even after Mr. Malone Paddy's devoted owner spoke about him and his service to the city and how Mr. Malone was a 2nd generation carriage driver. This was the respect it was shown in the press. https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...84958202_n.jpg

So while I do believe that feel good press is needed. Please don't think because of what you've seen here in a few heated discussions that it has not been/is being implemented.

As per your own choices to let your feelings about on person wether it be their personality behavior or style turn you off to an entire group that is IMHO a pretty shallow pool in which to cast assumption and condemnation. I don't like Ted Nugent one bit think hes a total scum bag "but" I don't avoid listening to Rock, hunting or the NRA because of him. Either you support the horses or you don't.
              Last edited by Lynnwood; Jul. 22, 2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
                Congratulations what was your point and what does that have to do with carriage horses ? ? Most people know that ; Lynnwood = farm name. Changed at the behest of my daughter whom the farm is named after
                You named your daughter wood ? (just teasin ya)
                from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
                  Thanks for the info Laura. Just so you know they did run such a story. The entire Clip Clop 2011 was based around Paddy's retirement to Blue Star Equiculture after 12 years as a carriage horse and BSE becoming the official retirement sanctuary for any NYC horse that found its self in need.

There was even an official retirement ceremony much like you and I are used to with show horses and race horses. With his owner taking off his bridle and handing him over to BSE. The media was invited and the RaRa's showed up in MASS to protest?? the retirement ceremony taking what should have been something touching and wonderful and turning it into a circus.

Even after Mr. Malone Paddy's devoted owner spoke about him and his service to the city and how Mr. Malone was a 2nd generation carriage driver. This was the respect it was shown in the press. https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...84958202_n.jpg

So while I do believe that feel good press is needed. Please don't think because of what you've seen here in a few heated discussions that it has not been/is being implemented.

As per your own choices to let your feelings about on person wether it be their personality behavior or style turn you off to an entire group that is IMHO a pretty shallow pool in which to cast assumption and condemnation. I don't like Ted Nugent one bit thing hes a total scum bag "but" I don't avoid listening to Rock, hunting or the NRA because of him. Either you support the horses or you don't.
                  Wow (about the article). Welp, thanks to the internet, anyone can have a channel or voice. What about a youtube channel? FB has been done to death, I'm guessing. Then the stealthy filming of the RARA's. Maybe an appointed person to take care of calling the editors (as above) and ragging on them about such disrespect of a ceremony.

I have Skype and somethingorother where my kids and I talk all the time, face to face. How taking 'tours' of the stables in real time...or better yet...show the RARA's protesting. Now, that would be something to watch!!

Just brainstorming.

Comment

• Everyone probably has an "if I win the lottery" list. Adding to mine is to put some money aside to pay airfare, hotel room and incidentals for about a hundred anti-carriage horse, or on-the-fence COTHers so they could attend Clip Clop NYC.

What an eye-opener that was when I went this year!
                    It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

Wow (about the article). Welp, thanks to the internet, anyone can have a channel or voice. What about a youtube channel? FB has been done to death, I'm guessing. Then the stealthy filming of the RARA's. Maybe an appointed person to take care of calling the editors (as above) and ragging on them about such disrespect of a ceremony.

I have Skype and somethingorother where my kids and I talk all the time, face to face. How taking 'tours' of the stables in real time...or better yet...show the RARA's protesting. Now, that would be something to watch!!

Just brainstorming.
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/stoplies...e=results_main

Nice collection of videos, tours of the stables (pointing out the windows, fans, sprinklers, auto waterers and sleeping horses) to a farrier appointment, one smallish guy moving the carriage....
                      Originally posted by BigMama1
                      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
                        You named your daughter wood ? (just teasin ya)
                        Not any worse then half a dozen of the in flavor celebrity names but no its Kailynn

Comment

• Alagirl, that looks like an interesting video...but that's what I'm talking about. The title is Stop Lies See the Truth. That's not inviting. They need a plan to get the videos out...using social media, the press, whatever. They need a whole marketing plan to show the public that the horses are well taken care of and enjoy their jobs. It needs to be positive, not negative. And they need to smile and say yes sir, yes ma'am, no matter the provocation. It's a head game and the other side is winning.

And while they're doing that they need to dig up any piece of dirt on the RARAs they can and make sure it gets publicity...make it personal, I'm talking about dirt on individuals, you want to discredit them...without letting them know they are behind it. Take a look at politics, that's all this is. That's how it's done. Pure negative campaigning rarely wins in the end.

I'd start having Princess contests every week. The winner gets a carriage ride for her and x number of friends, complete with a photo shoot. Positive publicity, that's what you want. Then you have a ready mailing list (from the contest applicants) for mailings. Keep. It. Positive.

That's all the advice I'm giving for free...and I'm not interested in a contract. Just use your heads people.

Comment

• It is my understanding that the industry has a number of irons in the fire, as it were, and I assume that interwebby presence isn't at the top of the list. Not when the drivers are working, looking after their horses, defending themselves against real-life crazies, and trying to make ends meet.

As a message board whose emphasis is on working horses and sharing our lives with them, I expect that we here are willing to cut these folks a little slack. It is, after all, in our best interest. But I hope that we all treat each other this way, in general.

I am often disappointed. Nevertheless, I hope.

I wish I could quit my job and move to NYC to work with these drivers. I truly do. I want to be a part of this, for the better. But like the rest of you, I don't have that luxury. So my job is to be supportive of an industry that I know is not inherently wrong and is certainly not abusive as a matter of course. My job is to use my brain and not lend credence to the RARA rallying cries. My job is to defend the horses and those who work with them.

I have disagreements about how some things are done, organizationally. But I refuse to divide this party. I will take my issues, privately, and strive to make things better.

It's the least I can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paragon View Post
                              It is my understanding that the industry has a number of irons in the fire, as it were, and I assume that interwebby presence isn't at the top of the list. Not when the drivers are working, looking after their horses, defending themselves against real-life crazies, and trying to make ends meet.

As a message board whose emphasis is on working horses and sharing our lives with them, I expect that we here are willing to cut these folks a little slack. It is, after all, in our best interest. But I hope that we all treat each other this way, in general.

I am often disappointed. Nevertheless, I hope.

I wish I could quit my job and move to NYC to work with these drivers. I truly do. I want to be a part of this, for the better. But like the rest of you, I don't have that luxury. So my job is to be supportive of an industry that I know is not inherently wrong and is certainly not abusive as a matter of course. My job is to use my brain and not lend credence to the RARA rallying cries. My job is to defend the horses and those who work with them.

I have disagreements about how some things are done, organizationally. But I refuse to divide this party. I will take my issues, privately, and strive to make things better.

It's the least I can do.

Wise words.
                              Originally posted by BigMama1
                              Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                              GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Just brainstorming.
                                That would be something to watch! Find a way to live stream the protests and put the links out there for everyone to see as it happens. Show the world what you have to deal with.

Maybe also live stream the inside of the stables to show the inner workings of the barn on a daily basis....show you have nothing to hide!
                                Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
                                Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

I find this astonishing. From many accounts Steve Jobs was a jerk - has that stopped you from buying Apple products? How is this any different? Oh. Wait. That's right. He put on a good public face. But he was still a jerk - but somehow his good public face makes it okay?

My BA is in public relations and I spent 10+ years in marketing before going to law school. My father owned what was then one of the largest advertising agencies in the SE. I have yet to see ONE pr/marketing/advertising person that has NEVER lost their cool "in public". And you can tell us all day long how they should do it "better"; guess what? You can say that about any and every pr/marketing/advertising campaign.

If you have something constructive say, say it. Or, better yet - volunteer to actually DO SOMETHING. If you have nothing but complaints, save it or put it in a private message.

And for those of you that think the driver should have been thrown under the bus: no one is disputing that what he said was bad, but one bad blow up and he should be thrown under the bus? Really? I hope you NEVER have to endure what these drivers endure day in and day out. I spent one afternoon on the hack line and I was ready to blow and I have training in dealing with these kinds of situations.

Get off your high horse. It's distorting your view.
                                  Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Comment

• Newsflash. Those drivers are accused daily on one of the most public streetcorners in the world of:

Murder
                                    Abuse
                                    Slavery
                                    Beating their horses
                                    Bloodguilt for Charlie
                                    Being "at fault" for drivers driving into their carriages

They are threatenned with sabotage and poison. They are harassed continually by badged law enforcement officers (ASPCA) who wish to shut them down as per their public mission statement. Their homes are at risk, their families have been threatenned by raras, and yet they have some of the best cared-for, nicest horses in the world, doing a job with horses in a city built by horses, carrying forward a tradition and trade over 5000 years old.

Frankly, if someone sat there berating me with lies, insults, and threats for as long they have, and using lies to smear my name and my career, I'd have lost my temper years ago and probably started swinging fists over it.

You just don't -do- that. It's not right. It should be criminal, but apparently it's protected because it's "protest speech"; but it's really "hate speech" and public slander. Nutshell version: they are under deliberate and direct attack by some exteremly unscrupulous people for whom the truth is an irrelevant liability and disregarded in their campaign.

Comment

• Why isn't threatening murder and hurting families not hate speech? Is it because the drivers aren't a protected class? I can see if we had true freedom of speech, could say anything we wanted, but we don't. We have all sorts of rules (laws?) where we can't say anything against certain people/entities. So, to my mind, we don't have true freedom of speech. This is where streaming the RARA's would come in handy.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBarnRules View Post
                                        I find this astonishing. From many accounts Steve Jobs was a jerk - has that stopped you from buying Apple products? How is this any different? Oh. Wait. That's right. He put on a good public face. But he was still a jerk - but somehow his good public face makes it okay?

My BA is in public relations and I spent 10+ years in marketing before going to law school. My father owned what was then one of the largest advertising agencies in the SE. I have yet to see ONE pr/marketing/advertising person that has NEVER lost their cool "in public". And you can tell us all day long how they should do it "better"; guess what? You can say that about any and every pr/marketing/advertising campaign.

If you have something constructive say, say it. Or, better yet - volunteer to actually DO SOMETHING. If you have nothing but complaints, save it or put it in a private message.

And for those of you that think the driver should have been thrown under the bus: no one is disputing that what he said was bad, but one bad blow up and he should be thrown under the bus? Really? I hope you NEVER have to endure what these drivers endure day in and day out. I spent one afternoon on the hack line and I was ready to blow and I have training in dealing with these kinds of situations.

Get off your high horse. It's distorting your view.
                                        First of all, I don't buy Apple products, shop at Walmart, eat at Chik-fil-a. I never liked Apple from the get go...way overpriced, tried to corner the academic market and failed, now they're trying the same thing with e-textbooks.

The only reason I started commenting is the thread where the carriage people completely lost it with infighting and insults to other posters.

I'm not the enemy, I gave good advice, like it or not. It's all a head game on the part of the RARA and the carriage industry needs to learn to not to react in a way that will impact them negatively.

Comment

• Perhaps this would give some momentum to a proposal to require that protesters keep back a certain distance from the carriages? Speaker Quinn sent a letter to the Teamsters (rather than to the carriage association, hmmm) in response to this video, and now the drivers are going to have to all have sensitivity training.

Perhaps Ms. Quinn would have better luck preventing future incidents by introducing an ordinance to keep the protesters back 100 feet from any carriage? The carriage association does employ contract lobbyists to represent them before the council, and an ordinance like this seems like a good idea for all parties: it'll protect the RARAs from those mean drivers, and protect the passengers from psycho Elizabeth Forel types.

Because profanity is such a rarity on the streets of NYC. My goodness.
                                          \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Working...
                                          X