• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Heads up---What will happen to the NY carriage horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pony4me View Post
    Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of protest on Sunday? How did that go?
    Pony - there's a protest EVERY Sunday - and Saturday, and sometimes Wednesday evenings

Here's an average protest, there are more in their albums. Don't bother commenting, they'll just boot you:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9020446&type=3
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

• Originally posted by michaleenflynn View Post
      While I am of the same opinion as thedrafthorse here, just think of the money we will have to spend in court knocking it down. Even if we get an anti-animal rights group to help us or maybe even do pro-bono, it still will drain the hell out of us, and they know it.

Not to mention the very real damage they are doing to our brand with LIES every single day leading up to the court challenge...

PS - and yes, I know they are reading. I'm not saying anything they don't already know.
      There is a group of lawyers who operate pro bono out of Washington D.C. They have defeated HSUS before and they have been looking at select illegal seizure and rescure issues HOWEVER they are also very interested in situations such as this...they can see the wizard behind the curtain pulling the strings.

They love to tackle bullies. Depending on what happens you might want to be in touch with them..I will take a P.M. from you as I do not want to put their name out so this mini group can start to harrass them...I like watching these FARTS take the shot to the stomach which winds them...especially as these lawyers are at the top of their game...and they HATE bullies.
      The Elephant in the room

Comment

• I think every REAL horse person who goes to NYC should make a sign that says something along the lines of them being a real horse person, so they have a clue about horse care and they support the carriage horse drivers.

I am laughing at the puffy ankles means the horse is in pain....sigh.
        Oh and photos of sweat around their tack. Clearly I should not be allowed to work either because I too sweat.

Comment

• Wow. You've all been busy this weekend...

Comment

• Don't let these:

http://vividlife.me/ultimate/wp-cont...7/coconuts.jpg

and these

http://merslife.com/wp-content/uploa...on-a-stick.jpg

be the only horses in NYC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
              But the problem is the constitutional challenge will take a while to go through...in the mean time the loonietoones run roughshot over people...

Oh, absolutely. I'm sorry if I was too flip in my response - it wouldn't be easy or cheap.
              Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBarnRules View Post
                Oh, absolutely. I'm sorry if I was too flip in my response - it wouldn't be easy or cheap.
                Oh, you were not flip.
                I just figured I point ut the problem with letting bad law being made. It is far easier to keep it off the books than t get it removed.
                Originally posted by BigMama1
                Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                  I think every REAL horse person who goes to NYC should make a sign that says something along the lines of them being a real horse person, so they have a clue about horse care and they support the carriage horse drivers.

I am laughing at the puffy ankles means the horse is in pain....sigh.
                  Oh and photos of sweat around their tack. Clearly I should not be allowed to work either because I too sweat.
                  Of course, we would *love* NYC-bound COTHers to do this!

As for the 'puffy ankles' - I know that horse, what she is looking at is a shearing job that is growing out

Here is this past weekend's photos - can you find the 'cruelty' in the first pic they are talking about?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                    We should be able to nick name her sparky after her ears break into flame after reading this next tid bit

Off the phone with my cousin..a retired senior partner in a prominent legal firm..still an advisor

As he has always told me...ONLY a C & D from a law firm should be taken seriously. He couldn't be bothered to come onto the forum site however I did read him the gest and he stated the following.. "Since it is ALLEDGED that she is an employee of the city of N Y or a division there could be a conflict of interest...therefore he would not be surprised if the union OR anyone served with any legal C & D instructed their lawyer to petition the city for ALL computers in that division. This is done on a regular basis and it has devastating results as cities have ongoing IT changes in computers..removing hard drives etc...if they are served with a petition for discovery..they MUST provide all computers to the satisfaction of the defence. Usual cost to a city for a "small" legal request is around $100,000 minimum. It would appear that IF she is an employee there could be a major conflict of interest--courts don't like to see this especially when there is an appearance that a city is allowing harrassment of a small family oriented business...either providing a service for or owned by.

As for their attempts to state what can happen to any horse sold, retired or given away...NOPE...they do not have the power within a civic court to pass an underground law. That one has already been challenged via Parisio vs U. of Davis
                    Fairfax - I cannot believe you called your cousin for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by michaleenflynn View Post
                      Of course, we would *love* NYC-bound COTHers to do this!

As for the 'puffy ankles' - I know that horse, what she is looking at is a shearing job that is growing out

Here is this past weekend's photos - can you find the 'cruelty' in the first pic they are talking about?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
                      Lemme see...it's either the horse resting a hind leg OR the horse is standing not quite straight. The front legs are in a manhole...and the driver doesn't care??
                      GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

• I can not even guess what they are calling cruelty in the first photo.....

Comment

• Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                          I can not even guess what they are calling cruelty in the first photo.....

Maybe that the horse is not running free in some western range, free to be wormy, mangey and chased and eventually brought down and eaten alive by wolves and mountain lions, but a slave of humans?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                            Maybe that the horse is not running free in some western range, free to be wormy, mangey and chased and eventually brought down and eaten alive by wolves and mountain lions, but a slave of humans?
                            <dingdingding!>

We have a WINNAH!

:::hands Bluey her cigar:::

EDIT: For proof of win: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
                            Last edited by michaleenflynn; Jul. 31, 2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
                              Lemme see...it's either the horse resting a hind leg OR the horse is standing not quite straight. The front legs are in a manhole...and the driver doesn't care??
                              That's not a manhole. It just looks like a dark area or stain on pavement.

Comment

• And I'm sure you saw this (all spelling mistakes are on the page):

From CHC yesterday (https://www.facebook.com/CarriageHorseCruelty):

BAN THE NYC CARRIAGE HORSE RIDES

Take a look at this short compilation of photos from the Win Animal Rights (WAR) Carriage Horse Cruelty Campaign. This will give you some idea of what we are fighting for. The cruel and inhumane carriage horse trade needs to be banned in NYC. Please don't take a carriage horse ride and encourage others to boycott it as well. WAR wishes to thank the very talented Donna Sullivan who created this video for the Carriage Horse Cruelty Campaign. Thanks Donna!

With these comments:

Very well done -wish you could get it out to the main stream media. The only way this will change is if someone was In the carriage with their rug rats and one of the kids gets thrown and killed. Then MAYBE something would be done because a human suffered. This makes me furious. Savannah is just as bad.

PLEASE STOP THIS CRUELTY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOYCOTT!!!! JUST BECAUSE YOUR A TOURIST, DON'T RIDE THESE CARRIAGES, THE HORSES ARE FORCED TO WALK ON HOT PAVEMENT OR CONCRTE FOR HOURS WITHOUT A BREAK, AND WHEN THEY BREAK DOWN, THEIR OWNERS GET RID OF THEM ANYWAY THEY CAN INCLUDING SELLING FOR DISGUSTING HORSEMEAT!!!!! PLEASE HAVE A HEART!!!! BLESS YOU

Romantic Carriage Ride????? I think NOT. Think people.

Beverly Martin Be like Asia - let a human pull you in a rickshaw!

please think about the horses.

BANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

And remember ,folks, It's perfectly acceptable to jeer the passengers in these contraptions.

Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Comment

BANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Ban the nonbeleiver!

BANNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnn-N!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlterNetReality View Post
                                    Ban the nonbeleiver!

BANNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnn-N!

I'm sure you're acquainted with Charlie the Unicorn? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Pa_gngEyM

Comment

I'm sure you're acquainted with Charlie the Unicorn? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Pa_gngEyM
                                      hahahahahaha, with that statement, you have to ask?
                                      Originally posted by BigMama1
                                      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Like poor Zombie Horse Charlie(Grains feed me more Graaaaaains) E.Forel keeps trying to resurrect this page. https://www.facebook.com/WhatWillHap...eCarriageHorse

She even points out and qualifies nicely their intent ;

"What it does say is that if you work in the trade, the section of law about "humane disposition" has been expanded and will REQUIRE that you sell or give your horse to a sanctuary or good home (defined.)"

Since when is it legal or constitutional that you be REQUIRED to give away or sell your property. We are not talking about animal neglect cases being remanded to protective custody ..we are talking about law abiding horse owners that a small group of people are attempting to force them to give up their horses.
                                        "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Comment

• It is just not right. People shoudl not have to give up their healthy, well cared for horses just because someone else doesn't like what they do.

Should I give up my saddlebreds and Morgans because someone doesn't like that we use a weymouth bridle?

These carriage horses are working horses, they are well adjusted to their surroundings, they are cared for, they do get their "vacations" out of the city. They are even used to the sound of the protesters screaming and chanting and waving signs.
                                          Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
                                          Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

Working...
                                          X