• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Updated! Crupper for keeping saddle in place?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated! Crupper for keeping saddle in place?

Have you used one? Positive or negative experience?

Two saddle fitters have confirmed the saddle fits, but it won't stay in place. Horse is very well-sprung, but much more narrow at the girth. Also has HUGE upright shoulders and huge withers, lost muscle next to the withers due to extended time off with previous owner. Saddle slides forward within minutes of starting to ride.

I've been working with the company that designed the saddle, and they have suggested using a crupper. Plan is to use it temporarily, thereby keeping the saddle off his shoulders to allow him to rebuild topline, eventually eliminating the problem and the need for the crupper.

I've been warned to use a leather crupper and keep it very clean.

Any thoughts or advice? And by the way, how do you pronounce crupper? Is it crupper (rhymes with upper) like it looks? Or crouper (rhymes with super) like the horse's croup? Or is this one of those longe/lunge things?
    Last edited by Snugglerug; Jun. 11, 2012, 03:56 PM. Reason: Update!

I haven't used one myself, but I ride at a barn that is mostly ponies, so they're pretty common. I've always pronounced it to rhyhme with "upper"
    A nice soft leather crupper, well conditioned so it's not rough under your horse's tail will do fine.
    If your saddle doesn't have a loop or ring for a crupper attachment, there are some that have a metal "wing" that slides into the channel of the saddle, under the panels.
    Like this one (it's pony sized, I don't know if they have horse sized):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TORY-LEATHER...item43aff1389b

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, Hinderella, that makes me feel better. That is the kind I've ordered, with the metal wing. (dressage saddle) It hasn't arrived yet, but hopefully will be quality leather. This is the one I ordered:

http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=218

It was recommended by the saddle maker (different company).

Comment

Have not seen one in ages, but it seemed to have been standard equipment around ponies.
        Originally posted by BigMama1
        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

We use them frequently here in Haiti for riding in the mountains. I have the one that Hiderella posted and it has worked OK so far. for work on the flat that would probably be enough for you.

The horse does need a chance to get used to the sensation of a crupper. Fatter ones spread the pressure out on the underside of the tailbone but some horses object to a big lump under there.

You don't want it cranked too tight, but it needs to be snug enough to hold the saddle in place. The saddle fitter (s) should be able to advise you on how to adjust it for the work you're doing.
          HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
          www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Comment

Cruppers (rhymes with supers) are pretty much standard equiment on some ranches and guiding outfits in the hills and moutains. The steeper the climbs, the more they are needed. If you do use one, yep, keep it clean and synthetic or leather depends on the horse, some object strenuously to the bulk of leather, others don't care
            Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice! You're making me feel like this option is definitely worth trying. Pretty laid back horse, so I suspect he'll accept it pretty quickly.

Comment

I agree with everything that’s been said. My daughter’s Haflinger gelding has a back like a donkey and his saddle slides up and sits perched on his withers if we don’t use a crupper (pronounced like "super" in Idaho, maybe it’s a regional thing ). Jelly Bean wasn’t thrilled with his crupper when we first used it on him (so be careful!) but got used to it quickly and is SO much happier undersaddle with his saddle where it should be! We’ve had several people/trainers say that they wished they saw more cruppers on horses and especially ponies but that cruppers aren’t “fashionable” so people don’t want to use them. We’re not very fashionable in Idaho, all of the outfitters I’ve met use them on their horses.

A word of caution, we were told when crupper shopping that “a lot” of horses get rubs from the buckles on the style of crupper you ordered so we bought the one without buckles. Of course then we had the problem of “how do you get the stupid thing on?” We modified our crupper by attaching a d-ring to the T and putting a snap on the crupper, no rubs since where it attaches is by the saddle and not touching the horse. I hope that made sense, I’d attach pictures if I could find one, I’ll see if I can remember to take some when I go to the barn. Not to say you’re going to have problems with your crupper but it is something to watch for.
                "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Comment

• Original Poster

Miichelle, do you mean the buckles by the tailpiece were causing rubs? I'll watch out for that. A little sheepskin would probably fix it if it's a problem. Not fashionable either, but oh well!

Comment

huh, we used a crupper (that I pronounce like supper... there's 2 p's in it afterall) the buckles were on top and there was no way they could have rubbed.

However, if you don't have a ring on the back of your saddle, good luck. Those "wing"-like metal attachments aren't the best. Probably depends on the saddle. We ended up adding an attachment on to the saddle.

Likewise, the crupper was temporary and ended up being unnecessary later on.

Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

That's 3 votes supper, 2 votes super . . . .I guess it is a longe/lunge kind of a thing!

Comment

We've used them occasionally and they do the trick. We've never had a sore horse that I remember but I have seen some horses with permanent scars from them.

We pronounce it like "super" and I never heard it pronounced otherwise until I made a horse friend that wasn't from Montana! But we also say things like "pannierd"...
                        “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

Pronounced like super here too (NW montana) and in AZ and WY (maybe a western thing)? I second the "be very careful at first" warning as many horses are NOT keen on that thing under their tails. Very common on ranches out here! And cowboy mom, we say "pannierd" too!!

Comment

Must be a western thing, remember, us westerners also have sloughs and dugouts and spend a lot of time explaining that neither is a pond.

I've also seen horses with scars from cruppers, usually some thin skinned thing but occassionally from a dirty crupper - us harness guys are particular about stuff like that. As to the buckles, Vetrap works fine - adjust the buckles, teach the horse to deal with tail stuffed through, and wrap the buckles if they bother.
                            Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Originally posted by Snugglerug View Post
                              I've been warned to use a leather crupper and keep it very clean.
                              Ask on the driving forum they use them 'all' the time.
                              A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
                              Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

Yep, used them lots. Pronounced to rhyme with supper here and everywhere I was in England and Scotland (but said with an english or scottish accent).

I've found they're really good for the problem that you're wanting to use it for - helping shoulders develop. I have also found they're great for horses which buck when the saddle slides forward and for a pony who would stop in the middle of a jumping course because the saddle had moved onto her shoulders.

I now put them on every horse and pony that I back - so that if they need one someday in the future, they are used to it. I also drive ponies so they get used to them that way. Keep them clean and rub with leather dressing before starting out. To toughen under the tail, wipe with witch hazel.

Comment

Originally posted by Miichelle View Post
                                  A word of caution, we were told when crupper shopping that “a lot” of horses get rubs from the buckles on the style of crupper you ordered so we bought the one without buckles. Of course then we had the problem of “how do you get the stupid thing on?” We modified our crupper by attaching a d-ring to the T and putting a snap on the crupper, no rubs since where it attaches is by the saddle and not touching the horse. I hope that made sense, I’d attach pictures if I could find one, I’ll see if I can remember to take some when I go to the barn. Not to say you’re going to have problems with your crupper but it is something to watch for.
                                  Another vote for 'two PPs like supper means it rhymes' but it's a word I've always read far more often than heard. Never used one until I came to Haiti and rode in the mountains here.

Below is a picture of my two. One is the light one with a T. I do have to watch that the T doesn't touch down and rub the pony's back if their build and the saddle plus the way the T sits in the groove all conspire wrong. I'd prefer a built-in D ring back there, but you don't find that often on English saddles. It does work for a temporary attachment, for permanent you may want a D installed on your tree. The buckle end that has to go under all the straps could rub. Once it's adjusted a wrap or two of something slick should prevent that. A bit of old halter tube fleece even? It isn't metal that contacts the horse, it's a fold of leather around the buckle but it is still quite a lump.

The clip crupper I haven't used yet. The buckle on it is a Conway buckle designed specifically as an against the skin connector. There is a smooth metal band against the horse but no lump. The 'bite' of extra leather and especially the cut end of that is what I'll need to wrap on the clip crupper. I have it for my packsaddle as there is no place to clip it on my Wintec.
                                  Attached Files
                                  HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
                                  www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Comment

Dr. Frankenstein: "You must be Igor"
                                    Igor: "No, it's pronounced eye-gore"
                                    Dr. Frankenstein: "But they told me it was Igor"
                                    Igor: "Well, they were wrong then weren't they"

Crupper or Krooper...I go with crupper since it has 2 p's.

Anyway, you should put no more weight on a crupper than 5-6 pounds, the horse's dock isn't made for heavy loads. I used a crupper on my horse when he's in harness for driving. It's function is to keep the breeching from slipping and helps to keep the rest of the harness in place. For riding my mule (and mules due to their shape and shoulder angles typically wear breast collars and breeching to keep their saddles in place...kinda' looks like he's getting ready for mule bondage or a rock video), I use breeching, it pushes against the animal's butt and a much more insensitive area than under his tail.
                                    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

Rhymes with super. (From Iowa)
                                      If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
                                      Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Comment

just my 2 cents!

I had similar problems with one of my chubby perch/qh crosses. Saddle stability was achieved by buying an EXTRA wide saddle. Using a non slip pad under the fleece when riding in hillier country helped too. Also avoiding any girth w/elastic. Using woven nylon girths huge help. Had to abandon too much padding too.
                                        Good luck either way! Looks like some great advice here!

Comment

Working...
                                        X