• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Past leaser wants contact with my horse - WWYD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past leaser wants contact with my horse - WWYD?

Got this horse last year. He is wonderful. He was underweight a bit and in need of dental work when I got him, now he's all squared away. Owner supposedly sold him on because she was over her head with too many horses and couldn't give him the level of care he deserved. All well and good.

I have become Facebook friends with the owner, who attends the same shows as me. She probably mentioned me and my horse to the previous leaser - and gave her my phone number.

The previous rider/leaser (a young teenager) called and left a message saying she missed my horse so much, would just like to hear how he was doing. This, 8 months after I bought him.

I called her and gave her the updates on his progress, his lifestyle, and our work together. At the end, she asked timidly if it would be possible for her to come and see him sometime? I told her to look me up on Facebook and I would get back to her.

I think she truly does miss him - who would not, he is a wonderful horse - but I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about the meet and greet. She is just a young teen, can't drive herself, so it's not like she can get a lot of access to him...should I arrange a meet and greet?

I would like to be compassionate about this, but I also want to ensure that it's limited - for instance, I'm not planning on offering her to ride him - ever. If this visit brings her closure, that'd be great, but if it opens up a can o' worms and prevents her from going on to the next horse, that won't be so great.

WWYD? Again, keep in mind, this is a young person who can't drive herself, so not much risk that she can just 'show up' to visit the horse without a lot of trouble. She lives about 30-40 minutes away. I have been in her position myself, but I'm an adult and have a lot of old-fashioned notions about what's proper in such situations. A starry-eyed youngster might see it differently, and I don't want drama.

If you show i would offer her to see him at a local show at this and this location. This way she can arrange to come see him while at the same time you aren't worrying about her randomly showing up at your place or where he is at when she does learn to drive.
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

Comment

I would just say no. It could turn into her regularly wanting to see the horse. Tell her you will post regular update on Facebook so she can see how he's doing.

Comment

She is a minor, contact her parents, see what they think of this situation, then go from that.

They may be people that don't have boundaries, anything they want, why not ask for it, without any other considerations.

As you say, your call, to be compassionate to an emotionally charged request from a clueless teenager, or to see where you go with this, according to how you feel about your own boundaries and privacy needs.

Comment

Im with Kitari - Meeting at a show takes out your residence and the possibility she would ask to ride. Im not very good at saying no so would not open myself up to the opportunity to have the ride question come up.

Maybe she does need closure? Who knows, I think a brief meet and greet at a show wont hurt anyone.

I never would have found her on FB though

Comment

I like the idea of her seeing him at a show - it's public anyway and she won't know where he lives. It will also provide you with an opportunity to meet her and see her reaction to him. If she is waytooattached you'll probably be able to tell.

If she is just concerned for him and wants to know he's landed well, then good for her! I agree, a conversation with the parents could be very enlightening too, and probably a requirement before offering any sort of meet up.

SCFarm
            The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Comment

I'm with everybody else who is suggesting meeting her at a show.

She may very well just be an attached teenager... I don't think that she meant any harm or offense in asking to come see him. She is young, and probably doesn't understand. She probably doesn't have a good handle on the 'game' yet, and the first horse that you move on from can be tough for some people.

I'd post on your facebook the next time you plan on being at a show, if you two are friends that way and then if she wants to show up and see her old horse, she can.

I still like to see how my old guys are doing and if I know that they will be showing in the area, I enjoy going to watch to see how they are doing. I don't think that there is any harm in it.

Comment

Like many others, I would only offer that you will be at such and such show and she can stop by and watch you show him.

I was a horse crazy young teen once and I remember horses coming and going and how devastated I was after each horse left... but guess what, I got over it when I realized the horse wasn't coming back. I think this is a lesson the kid needs to learn. Coming and seeing him at your farm will not make the situation any easier for her.
                Southern Cross Guest Ranch
                An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Comment

Show grounds = Neutral territory which is a wonderful thing.

Comment

I have personally been through a really uncomfortable situation.. only I could understand it better if it had been a child/teenager. My situation was a grown woman somewhere in her 50's.

I had bought the horse from her and had her daughter bring him the 2 hours to my place, that was my first mistake.. they had offered to trailer him for cheaper than I could get anyone to do it locally. The horse in question was a green broke miniature gelding, who was a real angel. He was a sweet little fellow so I can see why she had been attached, but she sold him.. that made him mine. This woman called my mother's house phone regularly for MONTHS afterwards. She would call just to see how his day had been.. my poor mother was starting to get a little worried when she started asking if they could just drop in next time they were in the area, maybe take him for a little drive (I had him broke to cart). That would be a big NO on my part... she never has stopped calling randomly.. and I sold the horse years ago.. She knows he was sold, and tried to get the new owners contact information from me, which I refused.

Last time she called was a few months back, asking for the new owners contact info and his registration numbers, since she had forgotten his registered name and numbers... I will never encourage this behavior again. I realize this woman was a nutter.. but I am super sensitive to the line "Oh, I used to be said horse's groom/trainer/owner/leasor, can I come visit?" My answer to that question now is usually something along the lines of "You will see us around!"

Comment

If you could arrange to meet her at a show as suggested, that would be great.

If not, maybe allow her a very supervised visit.

I think most of us can remember being that age and in LOVE with a certain horse. I know my heart broke when my neighbor sold her POA that I had learned to ride on and rode regularly for several years (it didn't matter to me that I was outgrowing him), and I would have given anything at that time to see him once more.
                      Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                        They may be people that don't have boundaries, anything they want, why not ask for it, without any other considerations.
                        She did ask.. To me, "No Boundaries" typically starts with not asking.

This isn't directed at you Bluey, but Jeesh, how do you all with such strict boundaries ever make friends?
                        ::With age comes wisdom. Apparently "wisdom" weighs about 40 pounds.::

Comment

Originally posted by SmartAlex View Post

This isn't directed at you Bluey, but Jeesh, how do you all with such strict boundaries ever make friends?
                          No kidding! I certainly don't think asking oversteps any boundaries! It doesn't hurt to ask, right?

OP, for the girl to see the horse at a show, would be perfect. Otherwise, maybe one visit, no riding.

Who knows, maybe in the future you will be looking for a part- leasor, and you could contact this girl?
                          Jigga:
                          Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

I think meeting at a show is a great idea. I feel for the OP, after all this wasn't solicited by you and HELLO, the old owner gave your info without your consent! UGH (that annoys me more than anything!) But I also feel for the young teen, only because I know quite a few teens where horses are their only outlet from an otherwise pretty crappy homelife. Not saying its the same for this girl, but you never know. I think letting her see the horse at the show to get some closure would be a nice thing, just make it clear to her that that will be the extent of it (unless, of course you decide you're okay with taking it further)

Comment

Originally posted by LLDM View Post
                              I like the idea of her seeing him at a show - it's public anyway and she won't know where he lives. It will also provide you with an opportunity to meet her and see her reaction to him. If she is waytooattached you'll probably be able to tell.

If she is just concerned for him and wants to know he's landed well, then good for her! I agree, a conversation with the parents could be very enlightening too, and probably a requirement before offering any sort of meet up.

SCFarm
                              Ditto on what LLDM has said. It would be my concern that if she knew where you live she might become the uninvited guest (even if she doesn't drive yet). Personally, the previous owner should have given you her phone number and allowed you to call her if you wanted. Giving out your phone number to the girl was not the best thing to do.

Meet in a public venue i.e. horse show, coordinate with her parents and make it known that this is a one time deal unless you desire differently. It may be that the parents don't want her getting back into horses for some reasons, they might feel that her seeing the horse again would only start up something they might not be financially able to do at this time etc. Talk to the parents first, also talk to the previous owner and let her know not to give out your phone number.
                              "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."

Comment

I think I might differ from most people here. The last place I'd want that kind of a reunion is at a show. I want to focus on the showing and the routine, not wonder if the girl is still petting my horse at his stall when I have to take him out. And I don't want to worry about what she thinks when watching me warm up, etc.

I don't think I'd have a problem with a young teen *timidly* asking to come visit the horse she used to ride. And I don't think that teaching a young teen that horses "come and go" is a life lesson they need to learn at that time. I'd want to help her out!!!! For more info, I'd facebook message the former owner and find out about the girl before contacting her.

I'd tell the girl that, while you normally don't allow visitors on your property, you'll make the exception one time just for her. This approach already tells her that this is a *one time* deal. You can tell her that you have mean guard dogs, a mean husband, trained killer bees on the property, an evil curse that affects only teens, whatever if it comes up. Second, I'd have this same conversation with her parents, who will have to drive her over. I'd say that you are a very private person, have mean dogs, mean husband, don't like it when the aura of your land is changed by visitors, whatever, but you'd be happy to let her visit ONCE and take pictures. There's always injury liability that you can invoke. You can also say that the horse is in training for shows and you'd prefer no one else rides, etc. if you want.

Call me an optimist, but I don't think it's too difficult to make the kid's day by letting her visit the horse while explaining that the horse has a new job and a new life now but you're grateful for the care she *used* to give him.

Just an alternative point of view.
                                Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

Count me in on the "come see him at a show" crowd. I remember being heartbroken when my favorite summer camp horse was sold when I was a kid.
                                  I'd have loved to have gotten to go see him compete and know he was being treated well.

I do agree that you need to talk to her parents. Just tell her, "We can possibly arrange something, but I need to speak with a parent first, is someone home I can talk to?" If not, ask her to have a parent call you. Once you have permission, invite her out.

I'd just say, "We're showing at such and such a series, and you're welcome to come watch him anytime. If you let me know which show you'll be coming to, we can meet up and you can visit with him, and I'll show you what I've been doing with him. I do ask that you wait until after his last class to come visit with him as we both need to focus on the show. I'm sure you know he just loves carrots, why don't you bring him a few?"

Shows are public anyway, so she could show up anytime, especially since she knows former owner and knows you show at the same places. But if you invite her and let her know the boundaries ahead of time, you can avoid something like her running up to your horse in a crowded warm-up ring and throwing her arms around his neck.

But if she's as young as you say, taking a few minutes as you're packing up after the show to let her visit the horse and maybe talk to her about what you're doing and about her riding/interests, etc. Would probably make her feel a whole lot better about the situation. Heck, depending on where you show and her experience level, you might wind up with a great show helper.

Given the world these days, my motto has become that if you can be a positive influence on a child, whether it's for 10 minutes or 10 years, do it, because you might be the only one who will.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartAlex View Post

Well, having been on the receiving end of people without boundaries and ending up stalkers, yes, I am wary of people asking to come see a horse they knew, without being invited to after getting first a bit more acquainted with them.

I even have them ask for items in my house, because they "loved" them, even a cabinet.

Especially with a minor being involved, I would not do anything without consulting with the parents first, be sure they are aware of what their kid is doing.

Then, once the parents are on board, do whatever all of you decide is best, when you know more about what the family is and where this may go.

There have been some good solutions, saying she can keep track from the pictures and stories on Facebook is a great one to keep the kid informed and at a distance, if that is best, until it finds another to interest it.

If, once you know the family better, you want to further contact with the kid and the kid with you and your horse, then is a better time to make such decision, when you have more to go by.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                      I even have them ask for items in my house, because they "loved" them, even a cabinet.
                                      We have one neighbor who, when he comes to visit, cannot resist looking behind doors, opening closets, drawers, you name it And I'm not talking about a peak in the medicine cabinet when he's using the bathroom. I'm talking roaming about the house . I live in fear of the day he makes it into my bedroom
                                      ::With age comes wisdom. Apparently "wisdom" weighs about 40 pounds.::

Comment

I wouldn't. At all. Too much of a chance of it turning into a can of worms. I would tell the teen and her parents that you need time to bond with your new horse without interference, and leave it at that. Be sure you personally speak to both parents and let them know exactly where you stand. Because you can't convince me that all this teen wants to do is come and look at her former mount; no one expects Mum or Dad to drive her 40 minutes just to pet Dobbin on the nose. She's wanting to renew the lease situation, and this is the first step; I'd bet you next month's mortgage payment on it.

I would be leery of the showgrounds meeting for the reasons that J-Lu presented, especially since you don't have an established show routine with this horse yet. So nip that in the bud, too.

JMO.
                                        In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                                        A life lived by example, done too soon.
                                        www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Working...
                                        X