• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Phone Call....Who else gets these?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Phone Call....Who else gets these?

New Client: Hello, is this Tumbleweed equestrian? I was referred to you.

Me: yes.

NC: do you have any openings?

Me: Yes, please tell me about your child

NC: Well, she is 8yo and has been taking lessons in Va. She can tack up on her own and groom and everything.

Me: Excellent, and what style was she riding?

NC: a Pony.

Me: I'm sorry, I ment what discipline was she learning?

NC: Oh, English! She is very good, not a beginner at all, much more advanced; she was learning to post when we left.....

Me: Big silent sigh, and off in to explaining how I run my program.
    The Mom seemed very open to my teaching methods after I explained I would be putting her daughter on a lung line for my benefit in order to see what her child is capable of.

They seem like they will be nice people. But, still, that just made me chuckle...
    “Four things greater than all things are, - Women and Horses and Power and War”

Why is that funny?
    An 8-year old who can tack up herself strikes me as pretty darn good. My 8 year old can barely even carry the saddle herself, and is definitely not strong enough to do up a girth or put on a bridle by herself. She has also been riding since she was 4, but I haven't bothered to teach her to post because said 10.2h pony has a sewing machine trot - posting that fast *is* hard!

Are you this condescending to all of your prospective clients?
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Comment

haha "Not a beginner at all, much more advanced; she was learning to post.."
      ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
      http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

Comment

I didn't find it condescending. I found it typical of parents who think their child is much more advanced than they really are but dont know differently.

Made me chuckle, but then again I'm not so sensitive about internet posts that are not directly about me (and heck, even the ones that ARE about me )

Comment

• Original Poster

Exactly ComingBack. At least this Mom was honest! Some of the calls I get are really crazy!

Comment

I got a similar one for a green 17.2hh warmblood for sale, 30 days under saddle, upper level potential for an advanced rider only.

Mom: When can I come out to see the horse for my 6 year old daughter.

Me: The horse needs an advanced rider.

Mom: My child IS advanced. She's been taking lessons for 6 months.

Me: Have your trainer call me.

Mom: Trainer?

Me: Sigh.

Comment

• Original Poster

OH MY!! Usually in my calls the 6Yo child has been riding that in lessons! LOL

My eyes would have popped out of my head!

Comment

Maybe the horse business is different from the rest of the world? In my business, if I posted about my prospective clients' ignorance and then made fun of them on an internet BB, I would soon have no clients. The world is just not that big.

Comment

I wonder if other athletic or sports type activities get the same thing. They must, otherwise there wouldn't be tryouts for HS sports to see who goes JV or V.

It strikes me as downright dangerous as an instructor to assume that the parents know a darn thing that they are talking about in terms of their kids' abilities. That's why I see so many policies that call for an assessment before the kid is placed in a level.
                  Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                  Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post
                    Maybe the horse business is different from the rest of the world? In my business, if I posted about my prospective clients' ignorance and then made fun of them on an internet BB, I would soon have no clients. The world is just not that big.
                    Nope, it's not, but at least the board where I see the harshest stuff is not available to anyone except industry insiders. The OP's story is quite tame by comparison.

Comment

The stables I have been at start you out on the long line. I think that's just smart. If you are a good enough rider, you don't get offended.

Comment

I don't think the OP and others are being harsh at all. They're just amazed that someone would endanger their kid by getting them a horse they can't possibly control, and by saying their kid is much more advanced than a total beginner. It's not just with horses or ponies either. I'm sure it happens to gymnastics coaches, skiing coaches and other sports too. And when the kid gets hurt it's never the parent's fault, but the coach's fault.

It's time that people that aren't good coaches are lying to parents about their child's abilities, and how well they are learning. It's better to be honest, and take time learning instead of pushing kids and horses too fast and burning the kids out, or getting them hurt.
                        You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
                          I wonder if other athletic or sports type activities get the same thing. They must, otherwise there wouldn't be tryouts for HS sports to see who goes JV or V.

It strikes me as downright dangerous as an instructor to assume that the parents know a darn thing that they are talking about in terms of their kids' abilities. That's why I see so many policies that call for an assessment before the kid is placed in a level.
                          Yes, it happens in other sports, even down to the lowly neighbourhood bowling league. Always has been that way regardless of sport - here, when I was growing up, every single boy child was forced to play hockey or at least try out, even if said child protested violently against it and every girl was forced into figure skating (not me, I was too inept on skates and very much a danger to others and banned). This isn't new, has been going on for years.
                          Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Originally posted by kchfuller View Post
                            haha "Not a beginner at all, much more advanced; she was learning to post.."
                            not as many of the advanced riders since they took away those mechanical horses you put the dime that were in front of the grocery stores

Comment

Originally posted by comingback View Post
                              I didn't find it condescending. I found it typical of parents who think their child is much more advanced than they really are but dont know differently.

Made me chuckle, but then again I'm not so sensitive about internet posts that are not directly about me (and heck, even the ones that ARE about me )
                              Originally posted by ReSomething View Post

+1 to both of you.. I'm a CSIA level one ski instructor. Been the supervisor of the 3-5 year old program for three years. Have taught for 7. Many parents think their 3, 4, 5, 8 or whatever year old will be the next olympian super star.. especially if they've gone out and bought them $2000 skis that they will out grow by March as they are super little..

I get lots of "my child excelled at xyz hill as they were on blue runs!!! Yes blue runs!!" "Great I know that resort well, like which blue runs?" "Oh doesn't matter he/she did blue!! ones..." Nice. Resorts are rated against themselves. Not each other. A blue run somewhere with massive hard hills will generally be harder than somewhere with fewer challenging ones.. so yes, it matters..

But yes, parents in every sport are like this.. If an instructor comes to me to tell me little Johnny needs a higher level class, I have to watch them ski before it's even a slight possibility, as I don't take a parents word on what their kid can do.. It too is a dangerous sport when things go wrong.

Comment

Try this one:

I trained and taught in a pricey resort area for several years. One summer I got a call from a lady from out of state. They planned on spending the entire summer in the resort community, and she wanted her son to continue to take riding lessons. She was thrilled to hear that all lessons were private or semi-private, since he'd been riding in a group lesson back home. Then she asked what he would do in an hour lesson. I replied that he would first groom and tack up his horse....at which point she interrupted, and said in a horrified voice "You would subject my child to manual labor????" I responded that it was part of learning to ride....click...dial tone.
                                "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
                                -Richard S. Bach

Comment

Sorry, not making my point very well I guess. Totally agree that you should not take a parent's word on how advanced their kid is. Absolutely yes evaulate kid on your own terms. Definitely educate the beginner parents of a beginner rider.

Disagree that it is okay to go laugh behind said parent's back (complete with "big silent sigh" at their ignorance of all that is horsey) when they came to you to learn. And pay you money. That is what strikes me as unprofessional.

I would not bring my child to ride with a trainer who makes fun of the people who write the checks on a public forum. But maybe your business is strong enough to handle that, so have at it.

Comment

Sorry, not making my point very well I guess. Totally agree that you should not take a parent's word on how advanced their kid is. Absolutely yes evaulate kid on your own terms. Definitely educate the beginner parents of a beginner rider.

Disagree that it is okay to go laugh behind said parent's back (complete with "big silent sigh" at their ignorance of all that is horsey) when they came to you to learn. And pay you money. That is what strikes me as unprofessional.

I would not bring my child to ride with a trainer who makes fun of the people who write the checks on a public forum. But maybe your business is strong enough to handle that, so have at it.
                                    Guess I shouldn't turn you on to the emergency room doctor's insider's forum.
                                    My warmbloods have actually drunk mulled wine in the past. Not today though. A drunk warmblood is a surly warmblood. - WildandWickedWarmbloods

Comment

Originally posted by Unfforgettable View Post
                                      Try this one:

I trained and taught in a pricey resort area for several years. One summer I got a call from a lady from out of state. They planned on spending the entire summer in the resort community, and she wanted her son to continue to take riding lessons. She was thrilled to hear that all lessons were private or semi-private, since he'd been riding in a group lesson back home. Then she asked what he would do in an hour lesson. I replied that he would first groom and tack up his horse....at which point she interrupted, and said in a horrified voice "You would subject my child to manual labor????" I responded that it was part of learning to ride....click...dial tone.
                                      My husband was in Bahrain for 3 years, and he decided to take riding lessons because I liked to ride horses everywhere we travelled. Anyway, he comes back; and we get a horse, and I find out he has NEVER groomed or tacked up a horse. They had people for that
                                      Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

I can see your point. And, it could be misinterpreted and offense taken.

That said, I think in any profession there are stories that resonate either because they are completely of the rails, or, like this case, they are fairly typical and other people in the profession can relate to them. We are also in a time where too many parents think that their child is the most gifted child ever birthed. I am 40+, and my parents and my peer group's parents hoped that if we worked really really hard and didn't screw up that we might turn out okay. So, while I am generally a fan of self-deprecating humor vs. poking fun at others; when dealing with people who have an obnoxiously overinflated sense of their own & their child's importance and talents, they are setting themselves up. And having a chuckle is probably better than lighting up the parent about the danger their bragging might have caused had they found someone foolish enough to take them at their word.

That said, as someone who rode Western and bareback as a kid and then took English lessons as an adult -- posting and two point felt quite advanced to me; and, in the eyes of my private lesson instructor, a competitive dressge rider, I never quite perfected those skills. Meanwhile, thanks to her endless trotting in circles lessons; I was the star of my adult beginner group classes. I got so advanced that I was jumping -- over poles on the ground. well, I think it was jumping; but it's possible the horse was just stepping over the poles fast. I'm not really sure because I was just focused on trying to stay in 2 point. And, my husband is INDIGNANT when I say we are beginners; because we took lessons. In his eyes, a beginner has never been on a horse - once that hurdle is crossed, you are an experienced intermediate for sure
                                        Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

Working...
                                        X