• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tennessee Walking Horse Soring Issue *Update post 1*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Chad Way got a 2 yr suspension from the incident on 8-30-2012. The suspension runs from 2-1-2013 til 1-31-2015

info from http://acissearch.aphis.usda.gov/HPA...x?rt=5&hio=ALL

Good ole boy Chad has 16 previous violations and 2 previous 2yr suspensions.

The FOSH maintained data base says its a five yr suspension so i dont know which is correct. There was a fine also. Ive heard $2000 and $5000 and dont know if anything has been paid.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

• Anybody else got potential names for the little chestnut? I'll do the poll since I'm glued to the puter waiting for updates from Pony4Me anyway. So far, we have:

Sir Roy
      Roy's Extra Proud
      Roy's Truth Rings

Any more?
      "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

• Since it has Pusher bloodlines, how bout
        Roy's Pushin the Press

Comment

• Originally posted by CleanUpTN View Post
          Since it has Pusher bloodlines, how bout
          Roy's Pushin the Press
          I LOVE IT!!!
          "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

• Original Poster

Roy Is On It
            Roy's Redman
            from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

• Ooooh you're good!!

Any more?

Comment

• Is anybody here FB friends with Mr. Exum? We could ask HIM to name the horse...???

Comment

• Original Poster

On it already. lol FB messaged him about an hour ago and give him the list and asked if he had any suggestions for his namesake. Havent heard back yet.

Comment

• Sir Righteous Roy
                    Roy's Press Release
                    Roy's Full Court Press

Cool that he might have papers.

Cool to tell Mr Exum he might have a TWH named for him.

I think Preacher has contact with him.
                    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

• Original Poster

i think they are going to set up a poll. Here we go so far:
                      Sir Roy
                      Roy's Extra Proud
                      Roy's Truth Rings
                      Roy's Pushin the Press
                      Roy Is On It
                      Roy's Redman
                      Sir Righteous Roy
                      Roy's Press Release
                      Roy's Full Court Press

Comment

• It will be interesting to see what Roy has to say It's still amazing that this was taken care of so quickly. Ahhhhhhh, the power of the interwebz LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                          Is anybody here FB friends with Mr. Exum? We could ask HIM to name the horse...???
                          Sir Exum.
                          "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

• Let's wait and see if Mr. Exum says anything - I haven't done a poll on here in years but IIRC you can't edit them or change the options once you post it. Sir Exum is good too!

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
                              Confirming that caustic substances were under the wraps.

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm...CategoryId=378

And boy does he look like a mean SOB. And a bit sub-normal looking too.

Comment

• *soft derail* Anybody going to the PHWAT show in Bedford Co. on June 1? I might go spectate just to stick a toe in the water, see who's who and what's what. I haven't messed with a TWH literally for decades - the last time I rode one Merry-Go-Boy was still alive! Trufax!!

Comment

• Alan Carpenter is a decent flat shod trainer and may be at that show. We bought our yellow horse through him.

Comment

• Thanks! I'm definitely planning to go, so if anyone else is planning to and wouldn't mind a pest asking dumb questions, holla back!

Comment

• Well, you know a show isn't the best environment for asking a trainer training questions, especially when you aren't a client but do go and have fun. As you know, the horses will be getting warmed up after being inspected, so they will all be together in the same 'hold' area. If you are on FB, Talk of the Town TWH is an active group and neither pro nor con BL horses...there are a good number of flat shod peeps there if you wanted to join and ask there for folks going to watch.

Comment

• Oh, I wasn't planning to ask *training questions* unless I luck into a friendly AOT who needs an extra pair of hands for holding/grooming... But I will definitely be taking notes as to who is producing the best-looking horses... If you know of any exclusively flat-shod FB groups I'd be interested! Thanks for all the tips!

Comment

• Original Poster

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/5/2...nd-Horses.aspx

Roy Exum: Hypocrisy And Horses
                                          Thursday, May 23, 2013 - by Roy Exum

I am still wincing over the fact a horrendous bill passed in the state legislature that would make whistle-blowers into criminals would have actually gone into law had it not been for Governor Bill Haslam’s eleventh-hour veto. Called the “Ag-Gag bill,” similar efforts in other states have also soured because it is no more than a Catch-22 trick to protect those who abuse animals, whether for food on our table or the “dirty lickers” in the Tennessee Walking Horse industry.

In my way of thinking a legislative bill ought to be made in the best interests of all the people and the only time I can ever remember an undercover tape surfacing in Tennessee regarding agriculture or animal abuse of any kind was the infamous tape of since-convicted Jackie McConnell.
                                          McConnell, still awaiting a state trial, was shown viciously beating a walking horse in a nauseating way to achieve the unnatural gait called the Big Lick.

Who among us wants to create a bill to protect and shield a thug like McConnell? Any law enforcement official will tell you that to hamper a tipster is the same as hampering justice. If a tipster fears they will be issued a citation for a misdemeanor, the source will dry up and law enforcement will remain unaware. It is that simple.

Haslam raised some eyebrows when he said farmers across the state feel unappreciated and misunderstood. “Agriculture is the No. 1 industry in Tennessee. Farmers play a vital role in our state’s economy, heritage and history,” the Governor said. “I understand their concerns about large-scale attacks on their livelihoods. I also appreciate that the types of recordings this bill targets may be obtained at times under false pretenses, which I think is wrong.”

Where did that come from? A large-scale attack? Where? My family has been farming since long before I was born and I can tell you there hasn’t been a day when anyone on our place would dare hurt an animal. Animals are a farmer’s top asset. There are very few parts of animal husbandry that are hard to watch – the breech birth of a calf can get messy – but the only ones who complain about hidden cameras are those with something to hide. No one is attacking anybody’s livelihood, not at all … that is, unless you are a dirty licker.

Obviously the dirty lickers in Shelbyville were adamant about supporting the Ag-Gag bill, especially with Larry Joe Wheelon’s arrest for soring horses drawing greater scrutiny to Tennessee as the epicenter for horse abuse in the entire world, but what is mystifying is why the Farm Bureau would sully its name in support of the real criminals.

Ironically, the Farm Bureau took the bill’s sponsor on a week-long trip to Hawaii and presented him with a new truck. Andy Holt (R-Dresden) has been vilified by newspapers across the state and, while the Farm Bureau said the awards were presented to Holt because he was the “Entrepreneur of the Year” and not because he heads the Agriculture Committee in the State Legislature, the timing couldn’t have been as bad or more noticeable.

It is almost as laughable as the fact Wheelon – out on bond after his hearing was rescheduled to June 26 – headed the Ethics Committee for the Walking Horse Trainer’s Association. That group is rife with dirty lickers and for president Mickey McCormick, who has 16 violations of the federal Horse Protection Act, to dare to censure Wheelon would be just like the pot talking to the skillet. My heavens!

I have long held the opinion that a true horseman can see things in a horse a journeyman cannot. Wheelon was a three-star judge in the SHOW organization and, while I’ve never met the guy, I can almost guarantee Larry Joe – who has allegedly been soring horses for many years -- could spot a ‘hot’ horse all the way across a show ring.

Judges run a horse show but a quick check of SHOW’s four-star judges – the elite, I’m told – reveals that of 27 active judges, 13 have been cited for violations of the Horse Protection Act and – as a group – hold a total of 64 tickets by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The perversion is unbelievable but it is also undeniable – how does a sound horse have a chance in such a coil of snakes? Many now feel the “dirty lick” segment of the walking horse industry is as crooked as a dog’s back leg.

Michael Danner, a judge from Madison, Tenn., received five suspensions as a trainer in 2012 alone while A.P. “Sonny” Holt of Shelbyville has had 13 USDA violations since 1990. David Landrum of Franklin, Tenn., has five violations dating back to 1998, while Joel Nipper of Cleveland has a record of nine violations, according to the USDA database.

Other 4-star judges with violations are Rollie Beard of Clarksville, Tenn., Billy J. Dean of Dandridge, Tenn., Jamie Hankins of Paris, Ky., Lynne W. Jones of Waring, Texas, Larry A. Kyte of Piney Flats, Tenn., Sam L. Sorrell of Lexington, Ky., Tim Thompson of Franklin, Tenn., Sherri Dietz Ward of Harrodsburg, Ky., Bill Young (also Billy Young) and Katherine Zeis. Talk about foxes guarding the hen house – almost half of the top judges have violated the Horse Protection Act.

Wheelon, a three-star judge in SHOW, has denied charges in Blount County and told one reporter, ““That’s sickening. If those horses were sored, somebody came in the barn the night before (the April 18 raid) and did it.”

Insiders believe more charges will be leveled at Wheelon when lab samples are submitted to the court in Maryville.

royexum@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X