• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tennessee Walking Horse Soring Issue *Update post 1*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hurleycane View Post
    Like the stack of pads and chain and soring, changing the weight of a shoe and the balance of a shoe changes the flight pattern of the foot. Eliminating the artificial change of the flight pattern caused by these devices is the proposal's way to make sore training more evident.

As I understand, NWHA's preference is to continue to offer various showing divisions based on the weight of the shoe. If passed, HR1518 will in effect stop NWHA from offering shoe weight divisions (eg light shod, plantation shod etc).

Therein lies the rock and hard place for ultimate passage of this bill.
    The bill proposes that "(6) by adding at the end the following new paragraphs:
    ``(12) The use of an action device on any limb of a
    Tennessee Walking Horse, a Racking Horse, or a Spotted Saddle
    Horse at a horse show, horse exhibition, or horse sale or
    auction.
    ``(13) The use of a weighted shoe, pad, wedge, hoof band,
    or other device or material at a horse show, horse exhibition,
    or horse sale or auction that--
    ``(A) is placed on, inserted in, or attached to any
    limb of a Tennessee Walking Horse, a Racking Horse, or
    a Spotted Saddle Horse;
    ``(B) is constructed to artificially alter the gait
    of such a horse; and
    ``(C) is not strictly protective or therapeutic in
    nature.''.

That is the exact text of the bill, not the summary. And from reading on NWHA's website, they also oppose the use of tungsten horseshoes. I personally have not seen the tungsten shoes so I wonder if there is visual evidence of the makeup of the shoe?? I would imagine that it does require a band to keep it in place and to keep from ripping off the horses hoof, just because of the weight of that shoe.

Let me do a little digging and I'll get back with you.

Comment

• ``(B) is constructed to artificially alter the gait
      of such a horse; and
      nature.''.

These ^ ^ provisions are what catches NWHA.
      from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

• Since the rack is a man made gair I expect "racking horse" would include Saddlebreds.

Having ANY action device for an auction..show..exhibition etc could also impact an ASB..even though the chain or roller IS LEGAL according to current USEF rules.

Does this bill over ride USEF?

Rack IS an altered gait..therefore according to this bill ALL racking horses would actually be illegal through shoeing with USEF defined number of pads or weights of shoes.

This bill is too broad.

Easy way to be handled by other breeds. Eliminate ALL TWH classes from their shows..THEN the application of the bill...if an attempt to apply it to Morgans, Arabs, ASB's etc could be challenged on THEIR merits..

As long as TWH enthusiasts and others continue to believe soring an ASB is going to make it lift higher..then we have a major division.
        The Elephant in the room

Comment

• The Racking Horse is a specific breed. The rack is born not made.

Comment

• Goodness gracious it is both hysterically funny and terribly sad to read the post from Fairfax. I mean there is just no hope to educate people on such matters when such straight forward information is read with such a slant. Even the trot gets altered by shoes, etc. Geesh!
            Last edited by hurleycane; May. 17, 2013, 03:43 PM.
            from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

• Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
              The Racking Horse is a specific breed. The rack is born not made.
              This. And the bill specifies Tennessee Walking Horse, Racking Horse, and Spotted Saddle Horse BREEDS. No where are ASB's, Morgans, Thoroughbreds or any other breed mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by hurleycane View Post
                ``(B) is constructed to artificially alter the gait
                of such a horse; and
                nature.''.

These ^ ^ provisions are what catches NWHA.
                After speaking with someone who is very involved in the PAST Act, I was told that the specifics of the Act will be worked out in committee with involvement from Vets, farriers, and other professionals who have knowledge of the mechanics and health of horses.

MY own opinion (not that it's worth beans to NWHA) is that they should support the bill and ask for a seat at the table when the specifics are worked out. I would also hazard a guess that NWHA would be invited to offer opinions and help in hammering out the details since they are one of very few organizations that already do not allow pads.

Comment

• The PAST Act now has 89 co-sponsors. It is limited to three specific breeds of horse......the Tennessee Walking Horse (based in Shelbyville, TN), the Spotted Saddle Horse (based in Shelbyville, TN) and the Racking Horse (based in Decatur, AL).

Comment

• Link to sponsors list again?

Comment

• Churlish posters are so anxious to post a hit on Fairfax they don't even bother to read WHAT THEY HAVE POSTED..or to read what others have posted.

THIS is why I made the statement. If was reflecting WHAT had already been posted.

Have any of you ever sat in on the development of a bill? I have. I have also seen the damage a poorly written..broad based bill can do

I think you need to take a look at the following. ANYTHING or ANY BILL that targets the TWH, Racking Horse etc WILL also at some point target other breeds..
                      Last edited by Fairfax; May. 18, 2013, 11:01 AM.
                      The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Seems your keyboard has a speech impediment.

Comment

• Original Poster

hurleycane, there is a list of co-sponsors at this link :

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d113:hr1518:
                          from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

• Elimination of all action devices is throwing some people off getting behind the bill. Hence, my quest for further discussion on the action devices is toward understanding why the soring potential persists because of them and to get more people behind the bill (or to get a better bill).

Like the stack of pads and chain and soring, changing the weight of a shoe and the balance of a shoe changes the flight pattern of the foot. Eliminating the artificial change of the flight pattern caused by these devices is the proposal's way to make sore training more evident.

This is not just a concern for NWHA; other breeds and disciplines wear what could be considered “weighted shoes” including Saddlebreds, Hackneys, Reiners, Arabians, Morgans and even some Dressage horses. Even though these other breeds and disciplines are not necessarily covered under the HPA if this Bill is made law, without clarification, it could eventually impact them as w
                            The Elephant in the room

Comment

• That will be corrected in two weeks when I am off dial up. Until then, I will just have to do the best I can when responding to others thinking impediments
                              Last edited by Fairfax; May. 18, 2013, 11:03 AM.
                              The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                                This is not just a concern for NWHA; other breeds and disciplines wear what could be considered “weighted shoes” including Saddlebreds, Hackneys, Reiners, Arabians, Morgans and even some Dressage horses. Even though these other breeds and disciplines are not necessarily covered under the HPA if this Bill is made law, without clarification, it could eventually impact them as w
                                Have you read the bill? I'm guessing no since you keep talking about Saddlebreds, Hackneys and the such. The bill explicitly states "Tennessee Walking Horses, Racking Horses, and Spotted Saddle Horses". The only way it could be more explicit would be if it identified individual horses by their barn name.

Comment

• Curious question for you, TN -- not familiar with the "Racking Horse" as a breed, but have volunteered at BO's TWH/SSH local circuit shows and they have classes in which the horses are shown at a rack. One of my jobs was ringmaster, so I asked the judge what she looked for because even to my horse-experienced eye, the rack and the running walk looked the same to me, as a trotting horse person.

She said the rack differed in that the horse was supposed to show more knee action and hold the head still. While I'm not sure of the purpose, trainer concurred when I asked him the same question later. So it appeared to me that this IS a trained behaviour, although the difference in the ring was extremely subtle. All of the gaited horses there (all TWH/SSH), at liberty, either pace or trot.

The TWH rack was markedly less dramatic than the SB rack I saw years ago, but all these horses are flat shod, although many do wear heavier shoes with bands, to slow down/exaggerate the limb movement and some occasionally wear chains up front for schooling rides.

Anyway, just wondering, as it's been an interesting experience over the last year watching these guys.
                                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

• I can tell you that the footfall pattern of the TWH is three feet on the ground at one time. The footfall pattern of the RH is one foot on the ground at a time.

I'm sure you could train a horse to rack, just as you could probably train one to flat walk, canter, pace or trot. But there is also a breed of horse that is born doing this naturally. They aren't born trotting or pacing and then taught to rack.

They do have more knee action and less head action than a TWH. The Racking Horse is a direct descendent of the TWH and use TWH registration papers as Racking Horse registration papers. Or you can have your horse examined by a commissioner and registered in RHBA.

My stallion, when turned loose in the pasture, would do a big ol thing that looked like a Fresian tolt. But after he got the play out, he'd rack around all over the place. He would have to have been trained to pace......and that's something very undesirable in a TWH or RH, with the exception that in Speed Racking, they often reward the pace. Now they even have pacing classes for Speed Racking, but those horses usually look very Standardbred-ish to me.

Comment

• SB peep here. The seems to be much confusion these days about rack, stepping pace, running walk. The real difference between them is all about footfall sequence/set down, pick-up and whether they are square versus lateral. I think it's gotten to the point where people don't even know the difference anymore.

I see TWH step pace more than anything whether they are supposed to be running walk or racking.

I was always told that a true rack has more HOCK not more knee. In the old days there was a marked difference between the running walk and the rack.

Comment

• This video shows an example of the "type" of racking horses I have seen around here. Correct me if I am wrong, but that appears to be their natural way of going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOn0Q2rSrFQ
                                        \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

• A major equine lawyer has responded to me.

Leo

The problem with wording is interpretation. Is a "Racking Horse" different from a horse who has been trained to rack.

You mentioned a defining factor could be an announcer yelling.."Rack On"

It is my belief that a group could challenge the word, Rack, in the courts nd a judge with little to no equine horse experience would make the determination.

He/She would be at a disadvantage due to the nuance of the word, Racking Horse Breed and a Horse that is trained to Rack.

You have every right to be concerned. As should, all horse breed groups and breeders/owners.

Good Luck

Paul
                                          The Elephant in the room

Comment

Working...
                                          X