• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tennessee Walking Horse Soring Issue *Update post 1*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am sure it is very difficult to be involved at a show level where camps are so divded. I do have to admit my surprise that the plantation division also has soring issuesmerous posts stating the BL division was very very small, and yet now posters are stating there are a lot of BL horses and just as many large stables for training.

I understand not wanting to go to Celebration however most have admitted the billboards and media DID make a difference. Would it not also make a difference to have individuals there..protesting?

Reading throught e threads I am starting to understand that many HATE the BL with all the right reasons..BUT..they really are not going to get involved other than posting..and NO..I am NOT saying all posters..just some.

The amazing late and great Bazy Tankersley of Al-Marah Arabians fame came from a family of priviledge i.e. her father owned the Washington Post at one time and it was Bazy and Tish Hewitt of Hewitt Packard fame who started S.O.S. Save Our Shows.

Bazy stated the best plan was to "out" prominent WOMEN who were showing Arabians that had been tortured. She was a strong woman (and a judge) and she had abstolutely NO problem with others hearing her opinion.

Bazy was the one who said..when a society woman is attached to an abused horse it does NOT stand well with her peers. They do NOT want to be in the columns. She also felt that women could confront other women without the bad man picking on her syndrome.

Maybe this is th3e time to go after that governor or who ever she was..and keep the pressure on her regarding beating a horse in the head..owning and supporting the torture of horses.

However that does mean a person must seek that lady and make sure they let the newspapers know what she has said and also try and ask her questions....and that means one must spend their own money and travel for their cause.
    Last edited by Fairfax; May. 6, 2013, 06:51 PM.
    The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Senator Robin Webb is who I assume you are referring to?

http://forthetnwalkinghorse.blogspot...obin-webb.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
        There was NEVER an "outcry" by owners. There was only silence, indicating acquiescence.

In any functioning democracy you always get the government you deserve. That's true in public and private organizations.

Outsiders can pressure for now, but when that pressure goes away what will happen? History suggests a return to "business as unusual." Maybe it will be different this time; I don't have prescience so I don't know what happens tomorrow.

G.
        G,
        You know better than that. There was a huge outcry at the yearly meeting at the Opryland Hotel and we managed to get some good people into some key slots. We just didn't get a majority in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by katarine View Post
          Senator Robin Webb is who I assume you are referring to?

http://forthetnwalkinghorse.blogspot...obin-webb.html
          That would be her.
          The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by CleanUpTN View Post
            G,
            You know better than that. There was a huge outcry at the yearly meeting at the Opryland Hotel and we managed to get some good people into some key slots. We just didn't get a majority in there.
            When you get a majority then I might change my view.

G.
            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

• I've owned a registered TWH/SSH most of my life. However the last one I purchased in '07 I did not transfer as a silent protest.

FTR that is very much unlike me. When I was breeding,(ASB) those foals were registered ASAP, all of sales were paid and transferred by me personally, guaranteeing it would be done. I'm anal retentive about this stuff. I believe EVERY horse has a right to it's heritage.

I did not transfer Smoke because at about around that time I decided no horse in my possession would every leave my property alive.

TWHBEA was not getting one solitary penny from me. Heaven's I was idiot enough to think they had cleaned it up before the advent of the interwebz.

Our ASB shows always had BL TWH's along for the ride back in the day. I was really surprised not to see them my last time around in the late 90's. It took me a long while to find out why and what happened.

You still can't just Google it. I can't find any info on when the ASB folks had to testify to the Senate that, "you can't sore trotting horses", to keep the USDA out of the ASB shows.

Anyway, I protested with my pittance and I protest with my mouth, and my fingers. I sign petitions, I support. It's all I can do at this point and from my vantage point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                When you get a majority then I might change my view.

G.
                I know we need help getting a majority. Are you still up for the fight? One of the most disappointing things of that era and since is the folks who left the breed. Not sure if it was because of disgust or exhaustion, but we do need the help of every person who's ever loved a horse. Perhaps you have touched upon an idea there G.......are you still in it with us?

Comment

• Sunridge, that's what many did and I think the membership numbers of TWHBEA shows the effect it had. From 20K down to 8K in 12 years. I noticed the stands at last years Celebration had plenty of empty spots whereas back a few years ago, it was standing room only.

Comment

• Originally posted by CleanUpTN View Post
                    I know we need help getting a majority. Are you still up for the fight? One of the most disappointing things of that era and since is the folks who left the breed. Not sure if it was because of disgust or exhaustion, but we do need the help of every person who's ever loved a horse. Perhaps you have touched upon an idea there G.......are you still in it with us?
                    Nope. Left in about 2000 when I sold my last Walker.

I maintain an interest since I don't like folks who engage in the gratuitous infliction of pain on animals (or people, for that matter).

I do wish you well as time goes on. Sadly, until you get a majority of current TWHBEA members on board with such changes as restricting the membership privileges of people who have HPA violations (particularly keeping them off the Executive Committee even though off the Board would be better) then real "change" will be unlikely. Historically that has never happened. But, like I say, I can't predict tomorrow.

Just be aware that with HSUS (which is just PETA in a better suit) you had best ALWAYS watch your back. Those people are not to be trusted.

G.
                    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

• ^^^^^^
                      ditto
                      Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                      I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

• ANd for those that do care about keeping the walking horse as a distinct breed, folks I know that have registered TWH bred to registered TWH are opting and paying $$ for the mountain horse registry instead of TWH. They feel they have a better chance at selling a "mountain horse" than a TWH. In their experience the bad rep from all the years of abuse of the breed by those in charge of the breed makes the TWH less marketable. Trail riders flock to Mountain Horses.
                        from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

• That's very true, Hurleycane. My neighbor bought a Rocky Mountain because she didn't want to deal with TWH baggage. However, I do have two other neighbors who use their TWH for field trials and hunting. A third brags that she used Donald Stamper as her trainer and that her horse was headed for Celebration before he colicked and died, but she's a total idiot...on so many other levels as well. Thankfully, the big lick owner is now out of horses.

Comment

• Trail riders who want 'Mountain Horses': They think Mountain Horses 'saddle gait'. No one values the TWH 'signature gait' very much- they want a little saddle rack/saddle gait. And hardly anyone puts the time into a TWH to trail ride to help him develop his gait ..they run past it to a rack.

The horse doesn't care either way.

Comment

• Original Poster

The ACLU weighs in

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...e-ag-gag-bill/

33,000 sign petition opposing Tennessee ‘ag gag’ bill

NASHVILLE — More than 33,000 people nationwide have signed an American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee petition urging Gov. Bill Haslam to veto a so-called “ag gag” bill that critics charge is designed to curb animal abuse investigations, the group says.

Only 350 were from Tennessee, but the ACLU says the list continues to grow.

Haslam is weighing whether to sign, veto or allow the bill, passed last month by state legislators, to become law without his signature. Various celebrities and a clergy group have urged him to veto it as well.

The ACLU’s petition says the legislation “does nothing to prevent cruelty to animals. Even worse, it criminalizes average citizens and journalists who witness and document abuse.

“Please protect our constitutional right to free speech and freedom of the press. Veto the "Ag-Gag" legislation this week,” the petition continues.

The Humane Society of the United States led an unsuccessful charge against the bill in the Legislature, prompting heated remarks from the House sponsor, Rep. Andy Holt, R-Dredsen, in an email to a HSUS official.

Holt said the bill is intended “to help protect livestock in Tennessee from suffering months of needless investigation that propagandist groups of radical animal activists, like your fraudulent and reprehensibly disgusting organization of maligned animal abuse profiteering corporatists, who are intent on using animals the same way human-traffickers use 17 year old women.”
                              from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
                                The Humane Society of the United States led an unsuccessful charge against the bill in the Legislature, prompting heated remarks from the House sponsor, Rep. Andy Holt, R-Dredsen, in an email to a HSUS official.

Holt said the bill is intended “to help protect livestock in Tennessee from suffering months of needless investigation that propagandist groups of radical animal activists, like your fraudulent and reprehensibly disgusting organization of maligned animal abuse profiteering corporatists, who are intent on using animals the same way human-traffickers use 17 year old women.”
                                If I lived in Tenn would I want Andy Holt to represent me orwould I want Ali McGraw (Love Story). Pamela Anderson (Baywatch) Linda Blair (The Exorcist), Julie Christie (Dr. Zhivago) Cloris Leachman (notorious after getting the boot from Dancin With the Stars at age 84) Daryl Hannah (dated John Kennedy..better than all of her activing roles), Kim Bassinger (bought a town and then "forgot to pay for it) Ellen DeGeneres Peta Woman of the Year Award, Tippi Hedren (The Birds) Victoria Principal (Dallas and Infomercials)

and most of them support PETA AND HSUS and also now support the PETA new campaign..The real SAD reason we must euthanize so many of the unloved animals...

HSUS and PETA are very wise...of course TV and Movie goers are impressionable and when they read or hear quotes from their favourite movie star..they actually believe the drivel.

HSUS has vegan and environmental groups in their support camp

Earthkind Inc. (DC); Earthkind International Inc. (DC); Earthkind USA (DC); Earthkind USA (MT); Earthkind UK [ also affiliated with the International Fund for Animal Welfare]; Earthvoice (DC); Earthvoice International (DC); Eating with a Conscience Campaign (DC); The Fund for Animals; HSUS Hollywood Office (formerly The Ark Trust Inc.) (CA); Humane Society International (DC);Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association; Humane Society Wildlife Land Trust; Institute for the Study of Animal Problems (DC); Interfaith Council for the Protection of Animals and Nature (GA); International Society for the Protection of Animals (UK); Kindness Club International Inc. (DC); Meadowcreek Project Inc. (AR);

Tennessee-based Pilot Travel Centers, a network of motorist support centers, withdrew its support for HSUS after thanking the company for its support on the HSUS Facebook page. But the company took so much flak for the $52,000 in donations to HSUS that it quickly ended its support: 'In order to avoid any further misunderstandings, employees will immediately cease collections of donations to HSUS.' Three more companies terminated financial support for HSUS soon after these controversies. The companies included the Mary Kay cosmetics company, Precious Cat, Inc., and Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc in response to protests."

This is NOT a gag battle..the bill could EASILY be adjusted and I was told there was an offer to extend the amount of time but limit it to a maximum of 90 days before it had to be turned in.

HSUS said No!. Absolutely No Limits....

IF they were truly wanting to protect the TWH wouldn't that be enough time to sit on a video...UNLESS..they are going after the right to become the official investigators...taking away that role from Animal Control, Sheriffs and Police.

That..I have been told..is the reason for the fight...Nothing to do with animals...it is all about power and not having to justify their actions in a court of law...Whether we agree with the decisions of some judges on the bench..we do have to admit...THEY made the decision to support or deny a seizure of animals or property.

Now..it is slowly coming to light that HSUS wants THAT power in their hands.

Of course the naysayers will scream conspiracy..tin foil hat...prove that is what they are after...so no one has to believe that at all...

However..it does make sense to me.

Ready for the assault from the supporters who have me on ignore...1...2...3...
                                The Elephant in the room

Comment

• There is zero, zilch, nada way you're going to get me to hate Willie Nelson or Betty White. As for the others not so much. That's like hating someone for the religious views or political or bad hair.

Again we really don't care or share your alarm. Not to mention, no links to back up the claim about the HSUS and 90 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                                    There is zero, zilch, nada way you're going to get me to hate Willie Nelson or Betty White. As for the others not so much. That's like hating someone for the religious views or political or bad hair.

Again we really don't care or share your alarm. Not to mention, no links to back up the claim about the HSUS and 90 days.
                                    I did state I was "told" but the reason that would make sense is: that is what happens when a bill is undergoing development and debate.

I am happy you don't care and do not share my alarm

I am also happy the "gang" who normally don't post on this thread have me on ignore...so it can stay with TWH's.

I don't hate any of those people...their views are their own...the difference...I can vote for or agin a politician..but not against a movie star EXCEPT with my buck...or ten or what ever a movie is now days.
                                    The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Join us for our conversation tomorrow (Thursday May 9 2013) with TWHBEA President Tracy Boyd and Executive Director Ron Thomas. We'll be Live at 12 pm CST. You can join us live online with your computer, smartphone or tablet. World Wide Online!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/equestr...ci328.facebook

Comment

• Here is Tennessee's answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO-JgtDjsgE

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                                          Tennessee-based Pilot Travel Centers, a network of motorist support centers, withdrew its support for HSUS after thanking the company for its support on the HSUS Facebook page. But the company took so much flak for the $52,000 in donations to HSUS that it quickly ended its support: 'In order to avoid any further misunderstandings, employees will immediately cease collections of donations to HSUS.' Three more companies terminated financial support for HSUS soon after these controversies. The companies included the Mary Kay cosmetics company, Precious Cat, Inc., and Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc in response to protests."

Pilot Travel Centers/Flying J are owned by the Haslam (as in Governor of TN) family. They are also under investigation by the FBI and IRS stemming from a raid there on April 15. However, they have NOT stopped supporting HSUS. Neither has Hill's Pet Nutrition.
                                          This is NOT a gag battle..the bill could EASILY be adjusted and I was told there was an offer to extend the amount of time but limit it to a maximum of 90 days before it had to be turned in.

As for the offer to extend the time limit to 90 days, that's just pure BS. Never once in any of the proceedings in TN has it been brought up for an extension.

HSUS said No!. Absolutely No Limits....

..... prove it or it never happened. Past events would tend to establish the fact that HSUS has little to no effect on TN lawmaking.

IF they were truly wanting to protect the TWH wouldn't that be enough time to sit on a video...UNLESS..they are going after the right to become the official investigators...taking away that role from Animal Control, Sheriffs and Police.

As noted previously, the lives of TWH have never been in good hands with the sheriffs department or the police, since plenty of these same individuals along with their lawyers, are perpetrators of the abuse. For more than 50 years, Animal Control, sheriff's departments, police, lawyers, judges and government officials have looked the other way regarding the abuse of the TWH. I think they've had plenty of time to clean this up if they had any desire. They have had no desire, so no, I don't think the desire suddenly came upon them. I'll continue to cast my lot with the groups and individuals who truly do want to see this abuse end immediately.

Fairfax, I was beginning to have hope that you were understanding. Why should I or anyone else continue to try to explain the plight of the TWH to you if all you can contribute to this thread is your hatred of HSUS?

Comment

Working...
                                          X