• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tennessee Walking Horse Soring Issue *Update post 1*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
    They may win the battle but they rarely if ever win the war.
    Yeah, but it took how many years and how many millions of lives and billions of dollars to win some of those wars? It is not better to avoid the war in the first instance?

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

• Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
      What is the Object of the Exercise?

If it's to stop the abuse soonest then the 24 hour rule is a Good Thing. It puts authorities on notice and, if they don't act, then they get to explain why to the cameras, microphones, etc.

If it's to build a case for prosecution then the 24 hour rule is questionable. It can take time to build a case for prosecution. Of course, while the case is building the pain for the horse is unremitted. That's a fact that the opponents seem to be willing to ignore.

In the McConnell matter HSUS had that video for long time. The public snippets show horrific images; I wonder what the rest of the raw video shows?

Frankly, "altered evidence" by proponents of a position is not so uncommon. That's why the Rules of Evidence anywhere that I'm aware of are quite specific about laying a proper foundation before it's admitted and presented to a fact finder. A requirement that the video or photo evidence presented to the authorities meet at least a minimum standard for admission into evidence is a Good Thing. I've worked as a volunteer in our local DA's office for almost 20 years and false charges with trumped up "proof" are part and parcel of the job. Indeed, since I'm at the bottom of the ladder, I'm one of the people who do some of the "digging" when questionable stuff is presented.

The biggest problems come from prosecutors*, police officers or private citizens, with "an ax to grind." I have been personally involved with multiple instances of out and out perjury by both types of prosecutors.

So this proposed "time limit law" has both positive and negative aspects. To call it a "gag law" is a gross, intentional distortion of fact. Shame on those who engage in such tactics. Fair minded people don't engage in such tactics. When they do we can conclude that they are not fair minded but rather are zealots intent on a goal without regard to the damage they might do while achieving their goal.

As a personal aside, I don't care if the whole cast of the Grand Ole Oprey shows up in the Governors office. They've got a right to an opinion like anyone else. That can sing and sell records does not make their opinion any more valid. Ditto for Hollyweird celebrities.

G.

*In TN the word "prosecutor" can mean an officer or civilian making a criminal charge. In some places they are called "complaining witnesses" or the like. They may also be the victim of a crime, but need not be.
      If you think for one second those that author and support these types of bills are not zealots in their own right, you have not been paying attention to current events. If this bill is fair and just, why are the creepy people behind it? Hell I wouldn't even necessarily need to read it, if the BL people are in support I know who it helps.

Where is the republican outrage that government is too big etc.? Rhetorical....

Comment

• Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
        If you think for one second those that author and support these types of bills are not zealots in their own right, you have not been paying attention to current events. If this bill is fair and just, why are the creepy people behind it? Hell I wouldn't even necessarily need to read it, if the BL people are in support I know who it helps.

Where is the republican outrage that government is too big etc.? Rhetorical....

Ahem, you can't get any creepier than animal rights extremists:

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=6510

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post

Ahem, you can't get any creepier than animal rights extremists:

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=6510

I read that and was sickened! That guy isn't who he says he is and claims to be. I could barely sit through reading that whole blog post.

Comment

• Originally posted by MonterStables View Post
            I read that and was sickened! That guy isn't who he says he is and claims to be. I could barely sit through reading that whole blog post.
            All sides have their good and less than good people.

BUT, which side has generally more honest people, that I think I know who that is.

Comment

All sides have their good and less than good people.

BUT, which side has generally more honest people, that I think I know who that is.
              And I know for sure which side is the wrong side just from reading that.

Comment

• Then there is the totally radical approach of judging a thing on its merits. It may require independent research and rarely results in pat answers, but instead of aligning with a person or group, think about the proposal in detail, its implications both good and bad in the real world, and make a reasoned, educated and logical decision.

If both liberals and conservatives would at least try to do this, I'd sleep much better.
                They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

• Originally posted by frugalannie View Post
                  Then there is the totally radical approach of judging a thing on its merits. It may require independent research and rarely results in pat answers, but instead of aligning with a person or group, think about the proposal in detail, its implications both good and bad in the real world, and make a reasoned, educated and logical decision.

If both liberals and conservatives would at least try to do this, I'd sleep much better.
                  Here here! Never a truer thing was said!
                  Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
                  https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

Comment

• Originally posted by gogaitedgo View Post
                    Extremists DO win. Islam. Communism. And when the extremists make the laws, you don't have the option of "laughing out loud right in their faces."

They don't win in the United States.

Comment

Right, until they come after you just for being an "animal user", as they did the circus, with their bogus abuse card, that the circus went to court over and yes, the HSUS had paid $140,000 to someone to lay about the animals there being abused.

That is when the HSUS was caught, but who knows how many other times they are not?

Try to keep your eye on the ball.
                      When it comes to animal rights extremists is not being paranoid to think there is more than meets the eye in what they do, see previous paragraphs.
                      Some times, if you are paranoid or not, they really are after you.
                      The HSUS is after ALL our uses of animals.
                      Their "help" here just one more place for them to complain about humans being abusers, as they were here, with reason this time, maybe not when they come after what you do with your horses.
                      If I'm doing what is being done in those videos, they should come after me.
                      Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dispatcher View Post
                        They don't win in the United States.
                        Really?

Tell us what happened after the American Revolution to the Torries who supported the Crown?

Ever hear of "Reconstruction?"

Or "Jim Crow?"

Or Prohibition?

Or anti-German campaigns during WWI?

Or Japanese Internment during WWII?

How about the Long, Hot Summer of 1965?

We've a long, sad history of "zealots" winning for varying lengths of time. We Americans are people like any other. We do good and bad things. We're not the New Chosen of God.

At the end of the day if the Gov. signs it's not the end of the world. If he doesn't sign it's not the end of the world. Life goes on.

G.
                        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

• Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                          Really?

Tell us what happened after the American Revolution to the Torries who supported the Crown?

Ever hear of "Reconstruction?"

Or "Jim Crow?"

Or Prohibition?

Or anti-German campaigns during WWI?

Or Japanese Internment during WWII?

How about the Long, Hot Summer of 1965?

We've a long, sad history of "zealots" winning for varying lengths of time. We Americans are people like any other. We do good and bad things. We're not the New Chosen of God.

At the end of the day if the Gov. signs it's not the end of the world. If he doesn't sign it's not the end of the world. Life goes on.

G.

Yes, really. We have evolved vastly from what you mention.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dispatcher View Post
                            Yes, really. We have evolved vastly from what you mention.
                            Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Yes, really, it's very naive to think it can't happen again.
                            Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by frugalannie View Post
                              Then there is the totally radical approach of judging a thing on its merits. It may require independent research and rarely results in pat answers, but instead of aligning with a person or group, think about the proposal in detail, its implications both good and bad in the real world, and make a reasoned, educated and logical decision.

Thumbs up! Very well said and worth repeating - again!

Fear mongering - leads to bad law bad decisions and generational decline. Fear mongering - cuts a swath and scatters people to hide and wring their hands and lash out with labels and such.

Reasoned, educated and logical decision processes lead the way every time.

"Think" is a four letter word for some.
                              from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

• Originally posted by hurleycane View Post
                                Thumbs up! Very well said and worth repeating - again!

Fear mongering - leads to bad law bad decisions and generational decline. Fear mongering - cuts a swath and scatters people to hide and wring their hands and lash out with labels and such.

Reasoned, educated and logical decision processes lead the way every time.

"Think" is a four letter word for some.
                                You are referring there to the ever so pervasive animal rights extremist groups and their insidious propaganda, of course?

Comment

• You do toss the labels. And I must say you do show an amazing ability (this is sincere) to gaze in the mirror you hold up and not blush terribly.
                                  from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

• Original Poster

Nashville chimes in

http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/top_st...id_17651.shtml
                                    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

• Original Poster

Abused horses removed from Larry Wheelon's "training" facility.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/Breakin...ring-id-035747

He has been charged with felony animal cruelty.

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...ue-042513.html
                                      from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

• Original Poster

http://chattanoogan.com/2013/4/25/24...rged-With.aspx

Breaking News

Maryville Horse Trainer Charged With Felony Animal Cruelty
                                        Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Maryville horse trainer has been charged with one count of felony animal cruelty on suspicions of soring after a raid on his farm.

Authorities seized 19 horses at the barn of Larry Wheelon.

Horse abuse carries a one-to-five year jail term on each count. Wheelon's arrest was the first in Tennessee since horse abuse became a felony last July.

The Humane Society of the United States assisted the Blount County Sheriff’s Office, Blount County SPCA and Horse Haven of Tennessee with the seizure.

Soring is the application of caustic chemicals and painful devices to the hooves and legs of horses to produce the artificial high-stepping “Big-Lick” gait for horse shows.

Officials said additional charges are possible pending the outcome of the investigation.

The sheriff’s office assisted in serving a search warrant last Thursday after receiving a tip about possible animal cruelty. Authorities said they discovered horses visibly in pain and several barely able to stand.

Wheelon, who is an active director of the Tennessee Walking Horse Trainer’s Association and sits on its ethics committee, has been cited by inspectors at least 15 times for violations of the federal Horse Protection Act between 1993 and 2012. He is also a AAA-rated judge with Shelbyville, Tn.-based S.H.O.W, which is the largest of the USDA-certified horse industry organizations that self-police competitions.

As the horses were being moved, one horse was found to be in such pain that when something brushed the animal’s bloody foreleg in a barn walkway, the animal rushed the experienced equine handler, badly cutting her face and breaking her leg. The handler, who has been working with horses for years, was transported by ambulance to a local hospital.

The horse was quickly caught and sedated by veterinarians, who also began pain treatment for the animal.

“Seeing these horses suffering so badly that they can hardly stand is heartbreaking, but being able to assist in this investigation and today’s rescue gives us some solace,” said Gino Bachman, president of the Blount County SPCA.

Leighann McCollum, Tennessee state director for The HSUS, said: “These horses are clearly in extreme pain – some of them from having chemicals applied to their skin and bolts driven into the soles of their hooves. We are grateful to be able to help rescue them so they will no longer have to suffer like this, simply for the sake of a blue ribbon. We commend the Blount County SPCA and Blount County Sheriff’s Office for their hard work and dedication on this case.”

Gino Bachman, president of Blount County SPCA, said: “Seeing these horses suffering so badly that they can hardly stand is heartbreaking, but being able to assist in this investigation and today’s rescue gives us some solace.”

The horses will be thoroughly examined and receive any necessary immediate medical treatment and will be cared for at an undisclosed location pending the final disposition of this case, officials said.

This is the second time in two years that a Tennessee walking horse trainer has faced animal cruelty charges in Tennessee. Last month, a Fayette County Grand Jury indicted former Tennessee Walking Horse Hall of Fame trainer Jackie McConnell and two co-defendants on 38 counts of animal cruelty for illegally soring and torturing horses.

Comment

• Original Poster

Another article, with pictures.

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/265...walking-horses

Comment

Working...
                                          X