• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tennessee Walking Horse Soring Issue *Update post 1*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • go to YouTube
    Look up Hannah Pulvers.
    Look at the names of the horses she rides. Jose Jose. Titleist. Main Power. Those are very modern "BL" lines doing very well on barefeet/keg shoes/lite shod shoes. And walking, shaking natural moving horses. In snaffles.

    The lack of a good running walk- IMO- is more about rushed and hurried training, and nailing on ' I want a big moving walk now' than it is the lack of running walk talent. I trail ride with some folks who will run the walk right out of a horse-So everybody ends up racking or saddle gaiting to survive. A smooth moving running walk is not supposed to be 'fast' ...and fast lately is fashionable. In my limited experience a lot of these modern bloodlines are slow to mature but no one's got time for that. That's horses these days: Everyone wants to win yesterday.

    Don't take my word for it. Look up the horses on Hannah's channel.
    Last edited by katarine; Dec. 8, 2012, 09:11 PM.

    Comment


    • Another very nice young horse I have no relation to in any way. A three year old by Titleist. Barefoot and I believe he's in a snaffle.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6lBI...ature=youtu.be

      I do hope I'm permitted to submit examples of modern bloodlines that naturally exhibit the good walks of a TWH.

      Comment


      • I don't like that horse at all. That is not a good example IMO. The horse has no rear engine.

        Comment


        • meh, he's an out of shape 3 YO. Feel free to post better examples. the longer he walks on that video the better he does.

          Comment


          • You know that is the hard part. Very few are correct in form or conformation. If I had video of my Merry Go Boy grandson from 40 years ago I could show you....They don't breed them like that anymore. There may a few out there but not many.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by katarine View Post
              go to YouTube
              Look up Hannah Pulvers.
              Look at the names of the horses she rides. Jose Jose. Titleist. Main Power. Those are very modern "BL" lines doing very well on barefeet/keg shoes/lite shod shoes. And walking, shaking natural moving horses. In snaffles.

              The lack of a good running walk- IMO- is more about rushed and hurried training, and nailing on ' I want a big moving walk now' than it is the lack of running walk talent. I trail ride with some folks who will run the walk right out of a horse-So everybody ends up racking or saddle gaiting to survive. A smooth moving running walk is not supposed to be 'fast' ...and fast lately is fashionable. In my limited experience a lot of these modern bloodlines are slow to mature but no one's got time for that. That's horses these days: Everyone wants to win yesterday.

              Don't take my word for it. Look up the horses on Hannah's channel.
              Hannah is a new , young, up-coming trainer that moved to Tenn. from the west. She has some amazing young horses that anybody would love to own.
              I might add that most of her flat-shod horses blood lines come from Padded horses

              Comment

              • Original Poster

                Originally posted by katarine View Post
                Another very nice young horse I have no relation to in any way. A three year old by Titleist. Barefoot and I believe he's in a snaffle.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6lBI...ature=youtu.be

                I do hope I'm permitted to submit examples of modern bloodlines that naturally exhibit the good walks of a TWH.
                Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                I don't like that horse at all. That is not a good example IMO. The horse has no rear engine.
                Here's a Titleist 2YO with a rear engine. Too bad it had to be engineered in.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea9QeTMcQi8
                from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

                Comment


                • No horse would do all of that without stuff attached to him, no.

                  You know that what he is exhibiting is altered/created by weight and pads, sure. You cannot say what this horse could do without all the stuff. You just don't know.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
                    Here's a Titleist 2YO with a rear engine. Too bad it had to be engineered in.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea9QeTMcQi8

                    No... no... no.

                    This is the whole problem with people in this industry. Why on earth would you say that the horse on stacks has a 'bigger engine'? A more appropriate form? People in the industry are seriously barn blind. I would even call them breed blind.

                    A proper running walk (or flat walk) has several undeniable characteristics that must be met in order for the gait to be true. The footfall patterns must follow a consistent 1-2-3-4 even beat. The pattern (in no particular starting point) is RH,RF,LH,LF.

                    In addition to that, the front and rear legs on the same side should NOT lift at the same time. That is a pace motion, and it is less secure and balanced than a gait in which first the hind foot, and then the front foot leave the ground.

                    The back should be long, loose, and relaxed, with a slight lift-- a gaited dressage horse is going to be closer to 'neutral' than a trotting dressage horse would be. That doesn't allow a horse that is hollow. No, not ever. It also does not allow for a braced back. Not even on a rail horse.

                    The head shake is a natural, desirable trait. It exists because of a deep reaching hind step on a gaited horse, and therefore in a nongaited horse on a long strong walk you will also find a head nod. The head nods up and down (not side to side), and it comes down as the hind foot comes down. The head and hind feet meet, so to speak, so that the head and back motion offer a nice easy counterbalance to that deep hind end.

                    Overall balance is not supposed to be heavy on the hind end. Leave Crouching Dragon, Hidden Running Walk to the movies. A balanced horse in a running walk has slightly more weight on the hind end, to compensate for rider weight and to allow for a free movement of the shoulders and back.

                    The running walk exists because it was coveted for being smooth (Big Lick loses here), balanced (BL loses again), and surefooted (another BL ftl). Trying to dream up some bizarre flatshod version that crouches on its butt and step paces around the ring with a shoulder driven head shake that is false and trained into it is exactly what brought everyone into soring in the first place. That BL colt is exactly what is wrong with the entire industry-- a false image is being feted and approved.

                    He is step pacing, shaking his head side to side, and when he does go into an up and down head shake he is timing it with his shoulders, not his hind feet. He is braced through the back and neck, and he is refusing to maintain balance front to back, instead choosing to sit on his haunches and stiffly stagger his way across the field in a mockery of a running walk. No, and no again.

                    Comment


                    • It keeps on rolling for those that like to break the law ~~~~ and might I add ~~~ makes those that are in support of it look not so sympathetic

                      Look at the 1st two and the 4th from the bottom

                      Me? I'd just sit on my hands until the final descision has been made knock clean, keg shod sound moving horses because they don't *Look Like* padded or ex-padded horses is just foolheartedly

                      http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_wel...DQ_Nov2012.pdf

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Shansurri View Post
                        No... no... no.

                        This is the whole problem with people in this industry. Why on earth would you say that the horse on stacks has a 'bigger engine'? A more appropriate form? People in the industry are seriously barn blind. I would even call them breed blind.

                        A proper running walk (or flat walk) has several undeniable characteristics that must be met in order for the gait to be true. The footfall patterns must follow a consistent 1-2-3-4 even beat. The pattern (in no particular starting point) is RH,RF,LH,LF.

                        In addition to that, the front and rear legs on the same side should NOT lift at the same time. That is a pace motion, and it is less secure and balanced than a gait in which first the hind foot, and then the front foot leave the ground.

                        The back should be long, loose, and relaxed, with a slight lift-- a gaited dressage horse is going to be closer to 'neutral' than a trotting dressage horse would be. That doesn't allow a horse that is hollow. No, not ever. It also does not allow for a braced back. Not even on a rail horse.

                        The head shake is a natural, desirable trait. It exists because of a deep reaching hind step on a gaited horse, and therefore in a nongaited horse on a long strong walk you will also find a head nod. The head nods up and down (not side to side), and it comes down as the hind foot comes down. The head and hind feet meet, so to speak, so that the head and back motion offer a nice easy counterbalance to that deep hind end.

                        Overall balance is not supposed to be heavy on the hind end. Leave Crouching Dragon, Hidden Running Walk to the movies. A balanced horse in a running walk has slightly more weight on the hind end, to compensate for rider weight and to allow for a free movement of the shoulders and back.

                        The running walk exists because it was coveted for being smooth (Big Lick loses here), balanced (BL loses again), and surefooted (another BL ftl). Trying to dream up some bizarre flatshod version that crouches on its butt and step paces around the ring with a shoulder driven head shake that is false and trained into it is exactly what brought everyone into soring in the first place. That BL colt is exactly what is wrong with the entire industry-- a false image is being feted and approved.

                        He is step pacing, shaking his head side to side, and when he does go into an up and down head shake he is timing it with his shoulders, not his hind feet. He is braced through the back and neck, and he is refusing to maintain balance front to back, instead choosing to sit on his haunches and stiffly stagger his way across the field in a mockery of a running walk. No, and no again.
                        Yeah, what she/he said exactly. I have a TWH that is pacey. Very difficult to get a true running walk. They were supposed to be BORN to it. Now they are long backed, and sickle hocked with a skinny rear end. Their conformation is not even conducive to do the gait naturally.

                        This my Johnny from the early 70's.

                        http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1...07114637AM.jpg

                        Look at the short back and substantial hip on the above horse. Compact iron horse that could go all day. Sorry these are all have of this horse. But you get the idea.

                        http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1...08065655PM.jpg

                        Comment

                        • Original Poster

                          Shansurri - good post and i was being sarcastic re: the back end on the padded colt.

                          sunridge - what a gorgeous hunk of horse he was.
                          from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
                            Shansurri - good post and i was being sarcastic re: the back end on the padded colt.

                            sunridge - what a gorgeous hunk of horse he was.
                            He was the best. The first horse I bought on my own at age 14/15. Showed him Open Pleasure for 4H and local shows. He was Grand Champion English Pleasure at our fair. I didn't think we would have a snowballs chance in hell since we were the only TWH in the county. lol

                            I remember being disappointed that he wouldn't go like the BL, with just a pad and a toe weight. Then my Dad explained.... and I was horrified.

                            Comment


                            • Real classy solid looking horse sunridge1! I bet he was a solid blast. Not sure what breeding he is but he puts me in mind of a TWH at local barn (I do not know his breeding either lol) But very similar in build and coupling as you put it - neck and head as well.
                              from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
                                Shansurri - good post and i was being sarcastic re: the back end on the padded colt.

                                sunridge - what a gorgeous hunk of horse he was.
                                Awe, thank you WalkInTheWoods. I did miss the sarcasm, but it let me vent about something that was bugging me. When WILL they give us a 'sarcasm' font? :P

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
                                  Here's a Titleist 2YO with a rear engine. Too bad it had to be engineered in.

                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea9QeTMcQi8
                                  He certainly is struggling to support all his weight on that rear end. That's not an engine, that's a STRUGGLE.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                                    You know that is the hard part. Very few are correct in form or conformation. If I had video of my Merry Go Boy grandson from 40 years ago I could show you....They don't breed them like that anymore. There may a few out there but not many.
                                    PM me if you want to know who's breeding some nice ones from the Old Lines.

                                    Comment


                                    • It's a proven fact that the best flat shod AND pleasure horses come directly from big lick breeding.

                                      And the big lick horses continue to get better and better, with more inborn ability, heart, and talent the better the flat shod horses get that come from their breeding.

                                      This is fact.

                                      Comment


                                      • Jose' Jose', Lined With Cash, Armed and Dangerous, A Jazzman, Wicked Gold, GENERATOR's Sundrop, are all BL horses that produce the best flat shod stock.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by BradleyDick View Post
                                          It's a proven fact that the best flat shod AND pleasure horses come directly from big lick breeding.

                                          And the big lick horses continue to get better and better, with more inborn ability, heart, and talent the better the flat shod horses get that come from their breeding.

                                          This is fact.
                                          Your sense of "best" is twisted.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X