• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tennessee Walking Horse Soring Issue *Update post 1*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by katarine View Post
    OH, Gnalli, I was so with you until the saddle BS.

If they can show them in a cutback, or a western saddle- and it's a walking horse, whyowhycan't they show him in a dressage saddle? It's just a saddle.

I show my TWH in gaited dressage and I've had countless people (trotting horse people) approach me to compliment his turnout and demeanor, AND to say some variant of 'I didn't know they could gait w/o all of that crap on their feet.' Different horses do different jobs representing the breed. I just wish I felt that CW was a representation of TWHs, not his owner's ego.

Agree that CW does not epitomize the ideal smooth moving big sweepy moving TWH. He's a pretty color and very kind, obviously, but no, he's not anywhere close to a top quality flat shod horse. It's too bad; The breed could use a legitimate ambassador without all the posturing and the baggage. It is a detriment to the breed that it's loudest 'advocate' is ... a loudmouth LOL
    Great Post! He is a beautiful color, but is not a good ambassador of the flat-shod breed. Yes, I have seen him in person.

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
      Word is that the Missouri State Fair is considering elimination of TWH Performance classes from its annual show because USEF is threatening to pull its rating from the show if big lick horses are allowed.
      Oh boy, I bet that made your day!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gnalli View Post
        Normally I would agree, but in that type of class, the cutback is the "norm". You would not have gone in that class with a western saddle, or a western pleasure class with a hunt seat is all I meant, nothing against the saddle itself.

Personally, I want a dressage saddle for me to piddle around in because they look so comfy.
        You would be disappointed.

"Dressage saddles" generally put the rider into a very closely controlled position. Just what that position will be will depend upon make, model, and year produced. Earlier saddles, like the Stubben Tristan, were more "flexible" but if you were try a Stubben Maestro you would find that you'll be almost put in a "molded seat" that will allow very little rider moment. For Dressage (the competition) this is a good thing; for anything else it gets an SUX rating.

When a person enters a competition they have to abide by the rules of that competition, whether they like them or not. To act otherwise to be arrogant and self-serving.

The wise rider in any discipline picks the saddle that best meets the needs of them and their horse AND complies with the rules of the discipline chosen.

G.
        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
          Word is that the Missouri State Fair is considering elimination of TWH Performance classes from its annual show because USEF is threatening to pull its rating from the show if big lick horses are allowed.
          Originally posted by cordial View Post
          Oh boy, I bet that made your day!!!
          The news that USEF may pull their rating for sure made my day as have other things that have happened in the last few days.

thehorse.com has a wide readership and i appreciated this article:
          http://cs.thehorse.com/blogs/aaep-co...de-soring.aspx

And asking the Tennessee District Attorneys General to investigate the positive swabs from Celebration also made my day.

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...st-120612.html

All in all, its been a good week.
          from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

• the news from USEF has really spoke volumes as to how the HORSE WORLD feels toward the BL.and this will make waves big waves thru out the open show industry.end the BL class at your shows help stop the abuse of the TWH.

thank you USEF

Comment

• the State of Tennessee has been put under the microscope,its time to do the right thing follow the LAW.federal and your state law.

hold the abusers of the HORSE that bares your NAME,to the fire STOP the ABUSE of the WALKING HORSE.

Comment

• This is one of the reasons to have hope !!~ ~~~ with things this tight...if you have wanted to scream at the top of your voice to someone;

"STOP IT!!!"

THIS will energize you ~~~~ DO IT PEOPLE! Stop talkin bout it and do it!!! contact your lawmakers!

SHARE THIS!!!

http://http://www.chattanoogan.com/2...s-General.aspx

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, Preacher. I fixed the link.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/12/...s-General.aspx
                  from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
                    The news that USEF may pull their rating for sure made my day as have other things that have happened in the last few days.

thehorse.com has a wide readership and i appreciated this article:
                    http://cs.thehorse.com/blogs/aaep-co...de-soring.aspx

And asking the Tennessee District Attorneys General to investigate the positive swabs from Celebration also made my day.

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...st-120612.html

All in all, its been a good week.
                    I am glad that had a good week. If and when the pads and chains are outlawed, we will take out padded horses down to flat-shod and go on with life...not a problem. All of you posters that don't like the pads and chains also think that they are sored...maybe in some cases, but many people are against them. It is very discouraging to come on here, knowing your horse is sound, and be called the nasty names. I don't know what is going to happen to the pads and chains, but I really don't care one way or the other. If the pads and chains go bye, bye, please put your energy to getting abuse wiped out in other breeds.You seem to thrive on doing good for the care of horses....there is plenty of work to do in other breeds!

Comment

• Cordial, your posts have been very reasonable and your passion for your horses shows. I congratulate you on having a sound show horse for so many years: rare no matter what the discipline!

And I really appreciate your most recent post with your perspective that if pads and chains go, you will continue to show flat-shod. You are right: the world will not end if chains and pads are eliminated and showing will continue (although it seems that some people may not feel this way).

I would hope that you and others like you would join in to ban pads and chains (and I don't mean small therapeutic pads of a a few millimeters, I mean what this thread calls stacks). Why would you even consider doing this? Because unfortunately the soring, stacked pads and chains seem to be utilized in concert by others whose horses do not share the same soundness yours do. They are used as mechanical means to achieve what to horsemen of any other discipline is an extremely unnatural and physically stressful gait. Unfortunately, in order to be successful in the show ring, one must employ such mechanical means because that unnatural gait is rewarded.

IF the chains and stacked pads were eliminated, and examinations were still conducted for soring, the playing field would become much more level. Wonderfully sound and talented horses such as yours could display their beautiful natural gaits and excel against their peers. The horse with the most outstanding natural gait would rise to the top: such a horse would be outstanding because of his athletic ability, not because of mechanical manipulation. If only...
                      They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                      Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

• Many ofd the posters don't show, don't own and only need a cause. The rules for Saddlebreds and Arabs are in effect and they don't show with chains so it isn't an issue. They are allowed pads and if this little group thinks they are going to have success going after Morgans, Asb's, Arabs etc they will also have to take on the WB groups who also use pads.

Many posters have stated there are not a lot of BL horses so it should not have any impact on the show ring. If there are not the numbers of TWH's in any division in the show ring, the breed will just be dropped. No different than what happened to the Shetland Pony.

If the current registration body collapses is there a group that is willing to step up with some big bucks to create a new registration body? Or, are the numbers for registered TWH's so low it can be done by just about anyone?

With the demise of the BL and what I have read here, that certain bloodlines are specifically bred for BL and its action abilities...will these just be discontinued and is that going to impact the genetic availability of the breed?

Is there a publication for the flat shod? The last one went under but maybe there will be more support for a new one.

I am happy to see a direct assault against those who sore however I am concerned regarding the "newly appointed" credibility to the HSUS group and their agenda.

Does anyone know, now that Roy is the man of their hour, if HSUS has actually put up ANY money ...??? If so...where? I can not find any court records showing they have provided any legal or support (financial) for the fight against soring. Nothing in the state legislation bodies either...of course there are papers provided by others...just none paid for by Danes and his HSUS group.

I watched the parade spectators drop to zero for the Shetland breed after those fighting against high action won...I hope better awaits the TWH breed.

It takes a lot of money to promote...and it will need to have individuals such as the Preacher dig deep into their pockets
                        The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                          they will also have to take on the WB groups who also use pads.
                          Please explain?
                          APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

• ^^^ I see I got the thumbs down. So, we have huge stacks of pads - 4 inches or so taller (big lick), and then you have regular shoeing practices (I guess that is the "WB groups") that at times, use very thin (think quarter of an inch) rubber or leather pads to protect the sole from bruising.

One is to protect the hoof from discomfort, and the other is use to radically change the angles of the hoof, and the gait of the animal.

Are you saying that if one goes out (stacks for TWH) then the same "anti" groups should go after thin pads used for therapeutic purposes?

FYI - not only "warmblood" people use those. I have known trail horses that get pads to deal with particularly rocky areas. My TB needed pads if he was going to be turned out much of the time because he bruised his thin soles.

But I guess if stacks and chains aren’t allowed – shoeing a horse in a way that benefits its comfort should be “gone after”?
                            APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

• The statement was made to remove all pads with MAYBE the exception for theraputic...however it was also stated that maybe if they need the pads they shouldn't be shown
                              The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by frugalannie View Post
                                Cordial, your posts have been very reasonable and your passion for your horses shows. I congratulate you on having a sound show horse for so many years: rare no matter what the discipline!

And I really appreciate your most recent post with your perspective that if pads and chains go, you will continue to show flat-shod. You are right: the world will not end if chains and pads are eliminated and showing will continue (although it seems that some people may not feel this way).

I would hope that you and others like you would join in to ban pads and chains (and I don't mean small therapeutic pads of a a few millimeters, I mean what this thread calls stacks). Why would you even consider doing this? Because unfortunately the soring, stacked pads and chains seem to be utilized in concert by others whose horses do not share the same soundness yours do. They are used as mechanical means to achieve what to horsemen of any other discipline is an extremely unnatural and physically stressful gait. Unfortunately, in order to be successful in the show ring, one must employ such mechanical means because that unnatural gait is rewarded.

IF the chains and stacked pads were eliminated, and examinations were still conducted for soring, the playing field would become much more level. Wonderfully sound and talented horses such as yours could display their beautiful natural gaits and excel against their peers. The horse with the most outstanding natural gait would rise to the top: such a horse would be outstanding because of his athletic ability, not because of mechanical manipulation. If only...
                                We have only one padded horse that we have had for many years, and the rest are flat-shod, that we also have had for many years. I do love a good sound padded horse...they are amazing to ride, but I am not a big padded horse person. I personally like them, but I have always ridden flat-shod in the show ring.
                                The problem is that there is abuse in the flat-shod division as well...pressure shoeing is a big problem, road floundering, quicking the hoof, and many more things. So getting rid of the chains and pads is just one problem, but NOT the only one..... believe me. Also soring is done in the flat-shod division as well, so there are many things that trainers and owners do. But the padded horses take all of the abuse from the people that hate the padds and chains! Alot of time it is unwarranted.

Comment

• *SIGH* Cordial & Katerine I tire of the chasing after statements and comments that can be proven the fact that you are mean-spirited, nasty and unhappy people, now what was it you said about him not being everything you thought he should be?

Katerine;

"I just wish I felt that CW was a representation of TWHs, not his owner's ego.

Agree that CW does not epitomize the ideal smooth moving big sweepy moving TWH. He's a pretty color and very kind, obviously, but no, he's not anywhere close to a top quality flat shod horse. It's too bad; The breed could use a legitimate ambassador without all the posturing and the baggage. It is a detriment to the breed that it's loudest 'advocate' is ... a loudmouth LOL"

CORDIAL : "Great Post! He is a beautiful color, but is not a good ambassador of the flat-shod breed. Yes, I have seen him in person."

And by the way you name dropping and saying you met him as if you know something about him is telling...okay I want everyone who would like to see these two eat crow..

Show me ladies the horse yu think is a better representative of the light division.

Please look at the first musical freestyle he ever did in 2006 at the Kentucky Horse Park..and then tell me he had no animated, correct flat walk and running walk gait, and remember, this was all natural, keg shod ,,then that same year we went to Florida

http://www.walkinonranch.com/musicalfreestyle%20.html

Have a blessed night ladies tsk, tsk, tsk,
                                  Last edited by The Preacher; Dec. 7, 2012, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Preacher View Post
                                    *SIGH* Cordial & Katerine I tire of the chasing after statements and comments that can be proven the fact that you are mean-spirited, nasty and unhappy people, now what was it you said about him not being everything you thought he should be?

Katerine;

Agree that CW does not epitomize the ideal smooth moving big sweepy moving TWH. He's a pretty color and very kind, obviously, but no, he's not anywhere close to a top quality flat shod horse. It's too bad; The breed could use a legitimate ambassador without all the posturing and the baggage. It is a detriment to the breed that it's loudest 'advocate' is ... a loudmouth LOL"

CORDIAL : "Great Post! He is a beautiful color, but is not a good ambassador of the flat-shod breed. Yes, I have seen him in person."

And by the way you name dropping and saying you met him as if you know something about him is telling...okay I want everyone who would like to see these two eat crow..

Show me ladies the horse yu think is a better representative of the light division.

Please look at the first musical freestyle he ever did in 2006 at the Kentucky Horse Park..and then tell me he had no animated, correct flat walk and running walk gait, and remember, this was all natural, keg shod ,,then that same year we went to Florida

[URL"http://www.walkinonranch.com/musicalfreestyle.html"[/URL]

Allen All Around
                                    Cash's Prime Time
                                    The Midnight Ride
                                    Banner's Dixie Belle

And a few dozen others.
                                    Champagne Watchout isn't a bad horse. He still takes my breath away on a western riding pattern. But he isn't a top rail horse. It's like taking Totilas into a reining class. What would be the point? It isn't his strength. Rail classes are not Watchout's strength, either.

There are plenty of flatshod horses out there who better represent top movement in the Walking Horse world. The list above includes many horses that have performed at WEG and other venues designed to promote sound, healthy, happy walking horses.

Demonstrating the value of sound healthy gaited horses isn't a competition-- it's something we do for the horse.

Here is a taste of what sound horse showing looks like:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgZOtmu3mUc

Comment

• Originally posted by The Preacher View Post
                                      *SIGH* Cordial & Katerine I tire of the chasing after statements and comments that can be proven the fact that you are mean-spirited, nasty and unhappy people, now what was it you said about him not being everything you thought he should be?

Katerine;

[URL"http://www.walkinonranch.com/musicalfreestyle.html"[/URL]

Tsk tsk, to you Mr. Preache, CW doesn't have enough back-end, front-end or head-shake to be called the Model for a flat-shod horse. He would have Trouble getting a ribbon in the Trail Pleasure Division. He is a lovely color, I will give him that. Not dropping names, I saw him at the Celebration in the Stake class!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shansurri View Post
                                        Allen All Around
                                        Cash's Prime Time
                                        The Midnight Ride
                                        Banner's Dixie Belle

And a few dozen others.
                                        Champagne Watchout isn't a bad horse. He still takes my breath away on a western riding pattern. But he isn't a top rail horse. It's like taking Totilas into a reining class. What would be the point? It isn't his strength. Rail classes are not Watchout's strength, either.

There are plenty of flatshod horses out there who better represent top movement in the Walking Horse world. The list above includes many horses that have performed at WEG and other venues designed to promote sound, healthy, happy walking horses.

Demonstrating the value of sound healthy gaited horses isn't a competition-- it's something we do for the horse.

Here is a taste of what sound horse showing looks like:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgZOtmu3mUc
                                        Enjoyed your tape...some nice moving and shaking horses!

Comment

• And I saw him totally lose his *hit and refuse the water obstacle at the AHC Horse Fair, the first year they did the Trail Horse competition. You bought CW and some black mare, Jennie rode them both.

He was overfaced,unsure, and upset. He didn't place well, not at all. I was into QHs and knew vaguely who he was. I know that the riding and exhibiting I witnessed was deplorable.
                                          The same year Jennie gigged the everlivin' *hit out of a black mare afraid of an obstacle near the end. Gigged gigged GIGGED. It was UGLY riding.

We placed in the top 5 out of 70. How did yall do? You finally quit hollering about how great thou art when the black mare just sulled up and by God quit. Good for her, as it was ugly.

Must we, Preacher? Must we?

You are not in it for the horses. I'll never be convinced it's not all about you.

Notice you didn't mention his performance at WEG. It was an ugly, disunited mess. You've made a circus trick out of a kind, willing horse. An ugly circus trick.
                                          Last edited by katarine; Dec. 7, 2012, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X